Love; In A Nutshell

Love; In A Nutshell

Jonghyun looked through the peephole and immediately opened the door once he saw the familiar disguised figure standing outside.

Hurriedly inviting the guest in, Jonghyun bowed and made way for the disguised person to step into SHINee’s dorm, “Noona! Thank god you’re here! What took you so long?!”

The minute she was safely inside the apartment, Jessica pulled off her cap and shades, shoving them both into Jonghyun’s hands with a glare so icy that only the true ice princess could pull off.

“You of all people should understand how hectic my schedule is. I rushed straight here once my schedules were over. So? Where is he?”

Jonghyun gulped (the ice princess certainly lived up to her name). “In his room… hyung locked the door and refuses to come out.”

“And that’s why you sent me the SOS text?” Jessica took off her cardigan and draped it over the sofa, looking at Jonghyun with a raised eyebrow.

“Jessica noona, hyung’s been pretty quiet nowadays. He’s always keeping to himself and hardly smiles if we’re not on stage. We’re all worried about him.” Jonghyun frowned, worried that history may repeat itself upon remembering how distant the leader of SHINee had been during promotions for Sherlock, “Aren’t you worried about him?”

“If I wasn’t, do you think I would be here right now?” An indifferent Jessica shot a question back at her dongsaeng.

Jonghyun shrugged. “You don’t seem to care much about Jinki hyung considering your relationship with him… just saying.”

“Jonghyun, you’ll never understand how my relationship with Jinki works and I really don’t need you to judge us… just saying.” Jessica replied with a smile, one that sent shivers down Jonghyun’s spine.

Knowing that Jonghyun wasn’t going to say anything else for the time being, Jessica patted him on his shoulders like how an owner would to an obedient puppy on its head and then made her way to the locked door of Onew’s room. She knocked twice on the door but heard no response from the other side (not that she expected one anyway) and so, she cleared and used her voice to make her presence known…

“Jinki, it’s me.” Jessica even spoke a little louder than usual to make sure the person on the other side of the door could hear her.

True enough, like a magic spell, the door flung open barely five seconds later and the next thing Jessica knew, a set of familiar arms wrapped around her waist and locked her in a hug.

“Missed me?” Jessica giggled into her boyfriend’s ear as she rested her chin on his shoulder.

“More than you can imagine.” A low voice sounded right next to her ear; the sounds of the door closing and being locked again followed immediately after.

Creating just enough distance so she could see Onew’s face, Jessica then raised a hand to caress her boyfriend’s cheek, “So what is this I hear about someone being too quiet, not smiling and refusing to come out of the room? Because from what I know, the Jinki I know isn’t like this around me.”

Although Jessica and Onew hardly met, they were constantly texting and calling each other as long as time was on their side, so Jessica knew enough to say that there was nothing wrong with Onew unlike what Jonghyun had earlier described to her.

The only reply Jessica got was Onew tightening his hug around her waist. Even his signature smile was plastered on his face so who in the world was Jonghyun referring to earlier?

“Well, you seem perfectly fine to me.” Jessica mused, more than certain that there was nothing wrong with her boyfriend.

“That’s because you’re here now.” Of course, this had to be Onew’s reply to his girlfriend.

Jessica bit her bottom lip as goose bumps crawled up her arms, “Really baby, really? Did you have to? You know how I can’t stand anyone, let alone you, being cheesy!”

Onew laughed, “I was being honest!”

“Mmhmm… I can’t say I didn’t like it though.” Jessica admitted, her arms now around Onew’s neck, her fingers playing with the nape of his hair, “But Jinki, you would tell me if there’s anything troubling you right? Is there even something wrong?”

Onew shook his head, “I’m just tired, that’s all.”

“We all are.” Jessica sighed, “Shall we sleep it off then?”

“Are you staying overnight?” Onew’s eyes lit up with anticipation just thinking about doing what he loved most with the person he loved the most.

“Am I welcomed?” A playful smile graced Jessica’s lips.

Onew returned a smile, “Since when were you not?”

“That’s true…” Jessica giggled, “You better inform the boys that I’m sleeping over so they won’t get a fright if they see me walking around the house in the middle of the night.”

“Nah, Jonghyun will tell them.” Onew then pulled Jessica flush against him and pressed a light kiss on her forehead, “But Sica, now that you’re here, sleep would be the last thing on my mind.”

“You said you were tired…”

“You’re my Vita500.”

“And I’m having goosebumps again, Jinki.”

Onew chuckled as he gently brushed her fringe away from her eyes. “So what time’s your first schedule for tomorrow?”

“Some time in the early morning… 8am I think?” Jessica grumbled, not wanting to remember that she had work the next day, but knowing they had to be responsible adults, she went on to ask, “You?”

“I have to be at the company for practice tomorrow.”

“Japan arena tour?”

“Yeah.”

“How much time do we have left together then?”

“Never enough.”

“We’ll make do with whatever time we have then, no matter how little.” Jessica buried her head in the crook of Onew’s neck, inhaling his distinct scent that always calmed her, and mumbled, “We always do.”

Onew nodded and carefully led them towards his bed, “Let’s just lie down and talk… tell me about your day, Sica.”

“Sure baby, but don’t wake me up if I fall asleep on you alright? You should know how soft and comfy you are to lie on…”

Onew nodded and laughed, “Yes dear.”

As Jessica made herself comfortable next to Onew in bed, resting her head on his chest, and began filling him in on her day’s happenings, Onew reached out to hold Jessica’s hand tightly in his and listened to the voice that kept him going when times got tough.

Jessica Jung wasn’t just the remedy to reenergize Onew when he was feeling weary of life, she was more. She was his everything, his one and only. And as he felt his girlfriend’s delicate arms hug his waist tightly, Onew was sure the feelings were very much mutual.