[1/1]

Next Friday

                That same kid came into the store today. My heart instant started racing, my mind losing all coherency. His hair was neatly placed on his head, a loose, V-neck shirt hanging off his shoulders, tight black jeans curving with his amazing legs.

                He was perfection.

                And he grabbed the same thing as always, a box of sodas and two candy bars. He came up to my line, like always, and pulled out that small, adorable blue wallet of his.

                And I tried again, like I did every Friday when he came.

                “You drink a lot of soda, huh?” I asked, making sure to slowly scan the items.

                He didn’t respond, like always.

                “You know, if you buy a few more, you’ll get enough points on your card to get some free.” I explained nervously, watching as he scanned his store membership card. He just looked up at me, signaling me to click the buttons on the computer to allow him to pay. I blindly reached over to the buttons, having memorized their placement. I focused my sight on his big, beautiful chocolate eyes. My heart was beating so fast that I swore it was going to leap from my chest.

                He slowly looked back down at his wallet and pulled out the bill, holding it out to me. I put it in the register and let my fingers brush against his insanely soft palm as I placed the change in his hand. He bowed his head, said thank you in his soft voice, and grabbed his bags.

                “Want me to carry them out for you, sir?” I asked,  and he shook his head, bowing slightly before walking out of the store.

                I sighed, leaning against the counter. Why didn’t he talk to me? Is it my looks? I thought, looking off into space. It wasn’t until I heard the manager yelling at me that I realized I had people in my checkout line.

 

                The next week, same day, same time, he came back in the store. He wore a black hat today, with a light blue shirt and loose white jeans. I waved, and he stopped and looked at me, realizing I had his sodas and candy already at my register. He walked over and flashed a small smile.

                “You get the same thing every time, so I figured I’d save you the trouble.” I smiled, scanning the items. My heart stopped when I heart a faint giggle.

                “Well, I appreciate it hyungnim.” He mumbled, and I felt my cheeks heat up.

                “You can call me Yongguk.” I said quickly, and he looked up at me, his big doe eyes curved in a crescent shape as he smiled.

                “I’m Zelo.” He said softly, and fireworks went off in my chest.

                “See you next Friday, Zelo-ssi.” I smiled wide as I held out his receipt, but then got self-conscious of my gums and only smiled slightly.

                I noticed his lips curved into a slight pout as he grabbed the receipt, bowing his head. “See you.” He whispered, grabbing his bags and heading out of the door.

                I knew I had the chance of losing my job, but I couldn’t help it. I danced, I cheered, I hugged the first person to come in my line.

                I was the happiest person alive right then. I finally had a name, after seeing him every Friday for the past few months.

               

                The next Friday, he came in again. His hair was held back by clips, and he wore a sleeveless shirt and shorts. He came over to the register and I just scanned the items I already went to get for him. He went to pull out some money but I held up a hand, pointing to the screen.

                “You’ve accumulated enough points to get your items free.” I smiled, and he just returned the smile.

                “How nice.” He said softly.

                “Hey, before you go—” I stopped him before he could leave my register. “Could I…” I gulped, feeling a lump forming in my throat. I sighed, shaking my head. “See you next Friday.” I changed what I was going to say, not able to finish it.

                He just nodded, and I noticed he left the store a lot faster this time. I cursed softly, smacking myself in the forehead. Look what you did, Yongguk. He’s creeped.

               

                It was July now, and it was insanely hot outside. Everyone was flying in to get something out of the cooler, something quick to drink. I grabbed the box of sodas and the candy, and also a bottle soda, just in case he wanted something cold. I saw him come in the store a few minutes later, in denim shorts and a red shirt. He came over and I scanned the items. I held up the bottle after I had scanned his usual. “I thought since it’s so hot you might want a cold one.” I smiled softly and he nodded, pointing to the scanner. I slid it across and placed it in the bag with the candy, watching him scan the store card.

                He looked up at me and when he noticed I was already staring, he looked back down. I bit my lip and looked away, sure I was creeping him out. I couldn’t help myself and peeked over at him, my heart racing faster when I saw his cheeks were slightly flushed. I swallowed hard, tried to push the thoughts out of my head, but it was futile.

                All you can do is ask, Yongguk. If he says no, he just says no.

                I shook my head. I was not asking him out. I’d scare him off and he’d never come back to my register.

                “I-It’s not w-working.” He mumbled, pointing to the card scanner.

                I wondered why he was stuttering, but I paid no mind to it, just leaned over and pressed a few buttons. “Try again. It should be working now.” I told him, and he scanned his card again, sighing in relief when the machine worked. I hit the proper buttons and took his bill when he paid. The thought still lingered on my mind.

                You’ve hopelessly fallen for love at first sight, Yongguk. Might as well give it a chance.

                He grabbed his items and started for the door. “Next Friday?” I yelled, and he turned and nodded, and I saw a smile come across his lips as he turned away.

                I just might get somewhere.                                                        

 

                The next Friday he didn’t show. My heart was near shattering. I didn’t understand why I was so heart broken, but it was just that…he promised me. Not technically, but he nodded at me.

                I was closing up the store, and I heard a distant voice.

                “Don’t lock it!”

                I turned, seeing Zelo running up to me, his hair bouncing gracefully, sweat streaming down his cheeks. He leaned on his knees, panting softly.

                “Do you still want to buy your things?” I smiled, opening the door.

                He nodded, standing and looking at me. “Thank you, Yonggukkie.”

                I felt my heart pound, my face heat up, my body practically trembling.

                I noticed he smacked himself on the forehead and sped inside.  I just went behind him and closed the door behind me. He was nearly running to get the sodas and candy from the aisles, and then he dropped it at my register. I walked over and logged back in on the computer, scanning the items and looking at him. He was sweating more, and I noticed his cheeks were red, but I figured that was from running up to the store.

                “S-Sorry.” He mumbled as he scanned his store card, and I just furrowed my eyebrows.

                “It’s no problem, I don’t mind reopening—” I started, only for him to interrupt.

                “N-No, I mean for that informal nickname.” He spluttered, his words choppily coming out of his throat.

                My face heated up more and I just prayed my blush wasn’t visible. “I d-don’t m-mind, it’s f-fine, really.” I tried to sound coherent.

                He nodded, handing me a bill. I handed him the change and closed back up the register, walking next to him as we ventured towards the exit. “Why come so late?” I asked. “You could’ve waited until tomorrow.”

                He was silent, and he just sped forward. I just pouted slightly, trying to keep up with him. When we got outside, I turned to lock the door, and turned back to see he was already half-way across the parking lot. I got in my car quickly and pulled up next to him, rolling down my window.

                “Need a ride, Zelo-ssi?” I asked, my heart racing when he stopped and leaned down in the window.

                “You don’t mind?” He asked and I shook my head quickly. He nodded and walked over and got in the passenger seat. I pulled out of the parking lot and went left when I saw his finger pointing in that direction.

               

                It was silent, the only words were him telling me where to turn. And just when I was about to initiate conversation, we were at his apartment. He bowed once he got out of the car. “Thank you, Yongguk-ssi.”

                “Anytime.” I quickly sputtered out. “And…” I stopped, feeling my face flush. “…and I liked that nickname.”

                I noticed he turned away, and I saw his ear turn bright red.

                I felt my heart race and I forced myself to continue, “So you’re free to call me that.” He turned and bowed quickly, so quickly I couldn’t see his face. He was almost as the door before I called out to him, “Next week?”

                He held up a thumbs-up before walking inside.

                I leaned back in my seat, grinning wide. I felt accomplished, victorious, amazing. I cheered silently to myself as I began driving home myself.

 

                Friday, he showed up at his normal time. He came to the register and scanned his card and the routine went on as normal. But instead of just leaving, he sighed and looked towards the floor.

                “I-I can’t…I can’t hide it anymore.” He whispered and I leaned closer, furrowing my eyebrows in confusion.

                “Are you okay, Zelo-ssi?” I asked.

                “I tried and it didn’t work.” He looked up at me and we both blushed instantly. I hadn’t quite realized how close I leaned. “I…I like you.” He whispered, and I felt my heart beat so incredibly fast that I started feeling light headed. “I tried hiding it but I can’t and I don’t want to anymore.” He bit his lip. “I want to get to know you, I want—”

                I interrupted him by leaning forward, pressing my lips against his. I didn’t know what came over me, but I knew it wasn’t a bad idea when he just kissed back slowly. I could hear the manager yelling at me, but I didn’t even mind. The old woman in the line for my register even started yelling at the manager for ‘ruining the moment’.

                I pulled away, my face probably redder than blood.

                “I like you too.” I whispered and he smiled, covering his face for a moment before pulling his hands away.

                He leaned over and pressed a kiss to my cheek. “See you next Friday, Yonggukkie.”

                I just smiled, biting my lip and waving at him as he walked away.

                “How sweet~!” The old lady clapped. “Young love.”

                I just blushed more, scanning her items quickly.

                Love at first sight really does exist, Yongguk. You did well. You did well.

THE END.