The Attack

No Matter The Cost

Thick plumes of black smoke rose into the air as the fire its way through the tightly packed housing. Shattered windows and broken beams. Glass, brick, and splinters of wood lay strewn across the floor.
Low rumbles were cast through the ground, the stones shaking across the cobbled roads as each step of the two advancing titans drew closer.
Heavy breathing and hushed mumbling could be heard from the rooftops as the three Scouting Legions were perched atop the red slating.

 

“Kyungsoo, any ideas?” Jongin wiped his bleeding lip on the back of his sleeve as he tried to regain his breathing due to the extreme work out they were doing today. 5 titans had managed to pass through the hole in the wall which had been mysteriously broken down only minutes ago. What caused it was not their concern at that moment. Killing the titans was the only thing on their minds.

3 down and 2 more to go.

Keeping them waiting  for much longer just won’t cut it, and they will most likely have to retreat and leave this area for good. It’s just too risky for anyone to linger here any longer as more titans are likely to swarm inside. But getting the people to safety is of utter most importance, and that’s what the military is here for. Protecting the people no matter the cost!

Kyungsoo kept his gaze locked on the incoming titans judging the distance, speed and route which would be best to take the titans down.
Kyungsoo was one of the best at this, his ability to calculate and swiftly manoeuvre squadrons to safety or to attack meant he was a valuable member of the team.

Baekhyun shifted his stance on the roof, staring intently at Kyungsoo. He was getting impatient.

“Kyungsoo, we don’t have time. Any longer and they will be too far in. You know we will have to start heading back. We don’t want to get caught up in any more groups of titans!” Baekhyun clenched his jaw and leaned into the slanting roof, sending the crumbling slates sliding down.

“Ok, keep your calm Baekhyun. This is an important matter we can’t muck up. If this goes wrong it could lose us time, or even… a life.” Kyungsoo had now turned back to Jongin and Baekhyun and walked over to their position.

“I have finalized a plan. Due to their only being 3 of us comes to a disadvantage. But, I trust all your skills to be able to get this right.”

Jongin and Baekhyun both gave a brief nod.

“Good. Then I will quickly explain. We are dealing with two titans, one 7 meter class and one 15 meter class. This means that 2 people will have to work on the 15 meter, while 1 person should easily be able to take down the 7 meter. From the looks of the surroundings there is no high vantage point to easily attack the 15 meter class. Making it even trickier. I’m trusting the 7 meter class to Baekhyun, and Jongin you will have to join me with the 15 meter class. Any problems so far?”

“No.” Jongin and Baekhyun chimed in sync.

Smiling, Kyungsoo continued.

“Baekhyun from the looks of things you will have to head off to the right and do a sweep round the back of the titan to help keep yourself unnoticed. After that you know what to do. You are the fastest and skilled enough! I really suggest you head off now, and I wish you luck!”

Baekhyun nodded to Kyungsoo and Jongin before sprinting forward and diving off the top of the roof before being swung back up into the air and whipping forward as his 3D maneuver gear came into action.

“Now Jongin. This is the tricky part. Listen closely, we don’t have much time. I will head off first and get the titans attention. Meanwhile you stay behind it. I will lead it to the clock tower to our left as that’s our highest vantage point, you will then follow after. Once I am on high ground you will use the height off the clock tower to swing round and slash through the titans neck. The only problem is if the titan does not want to follow me. If he chooses to go in another direction or if he decides to go  after Baekhyun, if that happens… we will have to improvise and hope everything goes well.” Kyungsoo weakly smiled before letting his face turn serious.

Readying themselves on the top of the roof, Kyungsoo nodded to Jongin, a slight concerned and longing look to his features before leaping off the side of the building and flying forward, low through the street and then reappearing 20 feet up in the air, light trails of gas behind.

Jongin could smell the burning in the air and the taste of iron in his mouth as he watched Kyungsoo get closer to the titan. Glancing to the right he could already make out that Baekhyun had reached his destination.
The empty wind drifted past sending ash and silent screams up into the grey sky.


He shuddered to himself briefly closing his eyes before counting to 10 and letting his body leap forward.


As Jongin flew forward at break neck speed he swerved through the air sending plumes of gas around him the faster he went. His mind was now solely on defeating the titan. He won’t let this one pass this time round. Blurred memories flicked through his mind as he sped on, twisting himself into the air and landing swiftly on a building before running forwards and then diving off and up into the air once again. He can’t and must not let the same thing that happened to Sehun happen to anyone else. Not while he’s alive! His expression turned into a dark glare as he aimed all his being at his target. Perspiration dripping off his face as he bit his lip from the effort.

His heart was pumping at a vigorous rate. And he could feel the adrenaline speeding through his veins.

As he looked forward at the giant titan he was close to facing, he felt a mixture of fear, regret, but mostly hatred towards its every being.

The hot steam that erupted from its mouth and sides of its body smelt sickeningly of sulphur, this made the air thick and hazy, but Jongin was used to it. He had been doing this a long time. He was one of the most skilled, blessed with his strength and stamina. He was an almost unbeatable foe when it came to taking down titans. No one had yet beaten his top strike of killing 64 single handedly and 102 with support.

 

He spotted Kyungsoo not far from his position, and from the looks he was having trouble. This titan was fast, faster than normal, but not fast enough to be a Deviant type. This urged Jongin to get his part done faster.

Flipping up and round to the last building before he neared the clock tower he was suddenly sprayed by a thick cloud of dust and rubble. Shielding himself from the blast coming towards him he swivelled his position and flew up over the dust cloud. Now he could see clearly again, he glanced down and saw what was happening, looking on with concern etched into his features.

The titan had punched a whole chunk out of the middle of the tower causing it to crumble and fall smashing to the ground. Kyungsoo was also nowhere to be seen. He cursed under his breath before making a very sharp turn and swinging round onto the nearest building. Landing he braced himself and skidded about two meters before stopping and regaining his balance from the crouched position he was in.

Scanning the area, the titan had not seen him, but there was still no sign of Kyungsoo. Biting  his lip harshly he growled to himself before making the decision to finish the job off.

Using the remaining height of the tower he managed to propel himself above the titan and sharply swing back round so he was at a good angle.
Due to his position the titan had spotted him. Throwing one of its fists forward to punch Jongin out of the air. Jongin quickly flipped round once again dropping like a dead weight to the ground before pulling himself up at such a sharp angle he felt his whole body shake from the effort. Spinning round in a blur of silver and steam he rose above the titan as its steaming fist crashed down onto the building right next to where he had just been. Using this as an opportunity he managed to use his gear to grab onto its back and dive forward closing space faster than the eye could see.

Seconds before Jongin sliced down onto its neck everything seemed to go in slow motion. He could feel the burning heat rising from the titans body below and the beads of sweat that flew off and evaporated in the air. The sulphur smell so thick now that his eyes started to water. The spray of shattered roof slates floated around cutting at his face as the titans fist continued to sink into the building.

Then full speed hit him again as he dug the swords hard into its flesh, carving a huge chunk out of its weak spot. He shouted out into the air as he flew forwards and past the now falling titan. Cool air suddenly hitting him again and a feeling of sudden fatigue that washed over his body.

 

It was done. Finally.

He landed heavily on the building in front, wincing as the shock travelled up his spine. Slowly and uncertainly as he got up he noticed thick warm blood dripping down onto the roof from his cheek.. He wiped his hand across his face before looking up and seeing Baekhyun speeding towards him.
Relief washed though him as he now knew Baekhyun was safe. But that instantly turned into a wide eyed stumble of concern as he rushed forward.

“Baekhyun! Where’s Kyungsoo.” Jongin half shouted

“Wait what. What do you mean. He was with you all this time?” Baekhyun huffed, wiping sweat off his forehead.

 “Wait… don’t tell me..” Baekhyuns eyes widened as he gasped at the thought.


Jongin clenched his fists and shook his head.



“NO! That cant of happened.” He shouted hoarsely.

“I saw him literally just before the titan took down the top of the tower. He couldn’t of been eaten, there was no time. But there is a high chance he got crushed…” As the words left Jongins lips he started to lightly tremble. Kyungsoo had been a great friend of his since the day he started working for the military. One of the closest he had ever had. He can’t just go like that; he’s been through too much to just die that easily!

“Baekhyun I’m going to check the inside of the tower, you check around the rubble. He has to be here somewhere, dead or alive.” The last part came out a faint whisper and Baekhyun just nodded solemnly, understanding, and ran off to do as commanded.

 

As they both searched, the longer they continued. The more desperate they became. They knew they had to retreat soon as more titans were probably on their way.


Both returning to the same building as before, despair clearly visible on both of their faces, Jongin clenched his fists and in dry gasps of air. They both looked at the floor. Today had been too much!

Just as they started to head off, flying south towards the safety of the inner wall Jongin noticed something glinting atop one of the low houses. Straining his vision as he turned he also noticed a body.

“.” He cursed loudly under his breath before turning sharply, abusing his gear and heading to the right. Baekhyun had also seen what he was looking at and followed at a quick pace.
As they neared they could definitely make out it was Kyungsoo, he lay there, a pool of magenta blood encircled round his body. This only made Jongin let out choked sobs as he landed, scraping his knees and ran towards Kyungsoo.

Bending down and letting his hands shakily hover above Kyungsoos body, unsure of where to touch first he gently grabbed Kyungsoo by the shoulders and brought him up to cradle him in his arms. He noticed how cold and limp Kyungsoo felt and his face was bloody and swollen. Gulping and letting out hoarse whimpers Jongin shakily placed his fingers to the crook of Kyungsoos neck.

As Baekhyun neared he slowed his run and noticed Jongin had frozen solid, staring forward with tears that silently started to stream down his face and past his parted cracked lips. Baekhyuns eyes that were already wide with fear where only made even wider as he realized the outcome of the image he saw before him. He stumbled back mouth agape before kneeling over next to Jongin. He felt choked as he rubbed soothing circles on Jongins back as his own salty tears dripped down past his lips and onto the roof below to join with Jongins.

 

 

Ah, thanks for reading.
Sorry my writing is not good. I dont write at all. hahaha
But this NEEDED to be done!

Comments highly welcomed. :]