Chapter 2

Love Changes Everything - B1A4

"Tu es tres belle," he repeated, gazing directly in my eyes. "Merci," I said, feeling my cheeks flush. In all the time we had spent together in our lives, Sandeul had never looked at me quite that way. Suddenly I felt uncomfortable with the French lessons. I wanted to change the subject back to Baro.

Ahyan hadn't been able to give me much information on how Baro had spent the year while I was in Paris, aside from the fact that he still dated Bea Yun on and off. The more I knew about Kim Baro, the more likely my plan snag him was to succeed. And I couldn't wait to put my plan into effects as soon as possible. The light changed, and we to the highway. Thankfully, the awkward moment between us was over, and I wondered if I had imagined the whole thing. After all, I hadn't seen Sandeul without his glasses before. Maybe that was the way he had always looked at me, and I had just never noticed. Soon we were Busan.

Sandeul pulled into the parking lot of the Depot and hopped out of the car without even opening the door. He was already around to my side before I had unfastened my seat belt. I let Sandeul open the door of the car for me. I didn't think he would have done that for Meg. But for Gem...

Sandeul held the door open, and I walked in ahead of him. I quickly scanned the people at the tables. Even though Sandeul had told me Baro was at the soccer practice, I couldn't help myself. I had seen a lot of cars in the parking lot when we'd pulled in, so I wasn't surprised that the place was packed. It took me a long time to check out every table. I did it casually because I didn't want Sandeul to guess what I was doing. But of course Baro wasn't there. I recognized a few of the teenagers from school. There were also several families. In fact, all the tables were full. The Depot had only one waiter or waitress for ech shift, and another person behind the counter who handled the orders to go.

 "Since you're in a hurry, why don't we just get some shakes to go?"  I suggested. Sandeul gave me a thankful look as we approached the take out area. Shinwoo, a senior who worked with Sandeul in the physics tutoring program, stood behind the counter and took our orders for two Gree Tea Frapp. As I wandered over to the window to look at the street, I heard Shinwoo ask Sandeul, "Who's that girl?" "Gem. I mean Meg Park" "No way. That can't be Meg." I turned around and faced Shinwoo. Then I gave him my mysterious smile. "WOW!" he said. THANK YOU, PARIS! I said silently. I couldn't wait to see Baro now. He'd see that I'd changed. I had become the kind of girl he couldn't ignore.

Sandeul and I sipped our frapp as he drove us to the school grounds. I was just finishing my last slurp as Sandeul parked the Car in the school lot. He grabbed his gym bag and jumped out. "Catch you later" he called over his shoulder as he jogged to the locker room door. I walked to the bleachers and found a spot in the late-afternoon sun. I had a good view of soccer field. WHERE IS HE? WHERE IS HE? My heart was pounding as I shaded my eyes with my hand and scanned the field. Nothing. And then---suddenly---I saw a flash of blue uniform, and there he was. The boy of my Parisian dreams, standing there in the flesh. Kim Baro. 

Seeing Baro after a whole year of just staring at his picture sent my blood pressure sky high. He was so much handsome now than he had been the year before---a fact that I would have found hard to believe if I hadn't seen it for myself. He was little taller. I thought he looked even more muscular. He was a senior---only a year older than the guys in my grade---he looked more like a college guy. I watched as Baro kicked a long passes. A few minutes later, Sandeul, wearing his running shorts ang a tank top, jogged over to his brother. He looked so lean and litche next to Baro. 

STAY COOL. I told myself. I couldn't ruin everything. I reminded myself that I was no longer Meg, desperate for any show of attention Baro might give me. I was Gem now, an alluring young woman who would knock Baro off his feet---if he would only look my way. Sandeul was saying something to Baro, then pointed up to where I was sitting. I gave a little wave. I wanted to try my mysterious smie, but I figured I was too far away for it to have any effect. BE PATIENT. I told myself. YOU'LL GET YOUR CHANCE SOON ENOUGH.

I didn't have to wait long. Soccer practice was over, and Baro ran up the blechers stairs. I was glad I was sitting down, because Baro looked even more handsome than he had the last time I'd seen him---the night before I left for Paris....kissing Bea Yun... I blocked that image out of my mind and concentrated on Kim Baro as he looked now---now that he was going to be mine.