Acceleration of the Cardiac Cycle - Chapter 7

Acceleration of the Cardiac Cycle

“Kevin~!” Alexander gave his brightest smile and took a seat before Kevin’s table. He spared the chair’s owner a quick apologetic glance and turned to the person he was looking for. “Hello!”

“You’re finally looking for me after two days of complete ignorance?” Kevin scoffed, head not lifting up from his homework.

Alexander took in a deep breath and maintained his smile. “What do you mean?”

“We have a competition coming up and I’m fixed on winning. I’ve started research and I hope you’ve done your bit.” Kevin gave Alexander a sharp look and looked back down on his work.

With a sigh, Alexander rolled his eyes. “Please, I’m a natural at debating, don’t worry about me.”

“From all your talking, I would think so. However, in debate, you can’t just use another point to attack the other party. You have to rebut PROPERLY, at the points shot at you. And all your gossips won’t get you anywhere this time round.” Kevin shot back and shook his head.

“All right, I get it, you want to win. Would you now let me say my piece, at least?” Alexander groaned. “I was asking what matters you have with the cafeteria vendor, Lee Kiseop, and very good looking but silent, Kim Kibum.”

“Well, let’s do it this way. You research and give me the points you’re going to argue about and I’ll tell you whatever you want to know.” Kevin offered. “How about that?”

Alexander faked a smile and stood up to leave.

Kevin Woo was officially pissing him off.

-

“Quick! Quick!” Soohyun screamed for his teammates to move faster towards the ball.

The school team divided themselves into two to train, playing against each other in preparation for the next competition.

“Eli to the right!”

The two teams continued snatching the ball from each other and Soohyun’s team finally scored a goal.

“Break.”

The team walked towards the rest area and immediately gulped down water. Soohyun pointed at three of them. “Reflect.”

“Slow.”

“Spaces.”

“Obstruct.”

Each of the three said a word, immediately scrambling down to do fifty pushups as punishment. Soohyun then scanned the audience area to see the usual crowd...and an unusual person.

He told his team to take a longer break before walking to the audience, waving at a few fans of the soccer team. Soohyun then turned to the unusual person. “What are you doing here?”

“Analysing you and making sure you make it to the library before three.” The person shrugged as he looked up from the notebook he was holding. “Oh look, how surprising, it’s five minute to three.”

“...” Soohyun thought of a song that Kevin reminded him of. “Neo wanjeon jjajeung na...*”

“Yes?” Kevin raised an eyebrow.

“Nothing.” Soohyun quickly shook his head. “Why don’t you go bother Kim Kibum and make sure he reaches the library before three instead?”

“He’s already there. I told him to read through two chapters and I’ll be testing him when we get back.” Kevin shrugged.

“What?! That guy has no life.” Soohyun exclaimed.

“Oh yeah, sports has so much life.” Kevin said sarcastically.

“Well, at least we’re all alive and kicking. Literally.” Soohyun stuck out his tongue childishly.

“Yeah, and I’m a living corpse.” Kevin rolled his eyes.

“Exactly!” Soohyun smirked.

“Well then, I won’t die alone. You’re going down with me.” Kevin faked a sweet smile and coiled his fingers around Soohyun’s wrist, before pulling him towards the library.

Soohyun tried to struggle out of Kevin’s surprisingly strong grip. “At least let me tell my team what to do in my absence and pack my bag.”

Kevin considered for a while. “A captain should be a man of his words. All right, be back in two minutes.”

Soohyun nodded and ran to his teammates, quickly packing and instructing someone to supervise the training. “Make sure they sweat and remember, on Saturday, we’re going to do physical training.”

They all nodded and waved Soohyun goodbye, a few wishing him good luck.

“Smartie pants is weird, don’t die in his hands!”

-

Dongho pouted as he continuously tried to form all the family trees in his head, linking all the marriages between the families as well. Somehow, the Lee family tree is quite big and the Kim family tree isn’t. Maybe he’s missing out on a few “Kim” groups of family?

He suddenly heard a lot of shouting.

How typical of idiots who waste their time on stupid things.

Family trees are much more interesting. And with his own efforts alone, he managed to trace back to some hundred years ago (which is about six generations or so?). Okay, maybe it’s only his family, but whatever.

And there are some family dramas people didn’t know. Like an older generation becoming the same age as the younger generation, and then marrying each other. It’s distant , how disgusting.

“Maybe I really am missing out on a few “Kim” groups. Hm…but how could I miss them out?” Dongho frowned, biting his fingernails (very bad habit) as he pondered.

“I think…Ouch!”

-

“Eli, kick that! Quick!” Eli’s current teammate yelled for him to rush towards the ball before the other team can.

He did, running with all his might and just kicking the ball away from its current position. Whatever happens to the ball can be worried by other teammates waiting around.

“Eli, ELI! WHERE THE HELL ARE YOU KICKING THAT- HECK, WE KILLED A STUDENT.”

Eli blinked, looking around for the ball before seeing a student lying flat on the ground. Oops, he meant to kick it across half the field.

Running towards the body and the ball, he shook the boy that looked really small. Maybe he’s from the middle school section or something? Weird, wasn’t the middle school section on the other side?

“Hello? Middle school kid? Are you okay?” Eli asked as he looked around for his teammates. “Get me some water!”

The boy suddenly opened his eyes wide. “Who are you calling middle school kid! I’m in high school! HIGH SCHOOL!”

“Oh, you’re fine.” Eli raised both his eyebrows. “You think you can stand?”

“I think you’re rude! Awfully rude! I’m in HIGH SCHOOL. You must be a Kim! Majority and muscles, how proud!” The boy glared angrily at Eli, helping himself up and stepping childishly on Eli’s shoe. Eli jumped in pain, frowning at the boy.

“Hey Eli, your bottle of water.” Eli’s teammate passed Eli the bottle of water. “Hey kid, you okay?”

“I’M NOT A KID.” The boy yelled, face annoyed. “Stupid Kim family! Rude, no respect! I’m a high school student!”

“Sorry, chill.” Eli’s teammate chuckled. “Defensive, aren’t we? Well, if you’re fine, I’m going to pull him away because we have soccer practice going on. Bye, high school student.”

“Leave! Leave and do what you idiots do!” The boy rolled his eyes, stomping away.

-

* = Sounds familiar? :)