Nighttalks in Qingdao

Wanderlust
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Are you okay with this?”

Luhan was lying as far away from Mei as possible, almost hanging over the edge of the bed with half of his body. His head was placed on a pillow facing Mei who was lying across of him on the other side, but contrary to him, she didn’t seek to get away from him as possible. She looked at him with a genuine smile, bringing her head up a little just to place it back on her own pillow again.

“Yes. What about you?”

“Me too.” They looked at each other kindly while the dim light of the lamp on the nightstand illuminated the room a little. The rain was mercilessly patterning against the window. Since Mei went out that morning, it didn’t stop, not even when they folded the paper boats and letting them float. It was just a wish, just a tradition after all, wasn’t it?

“We’re both in a relationship, so it’s okay.” Mei sounded so relaxed and carefree that Luhan suddenly got a bad conscience. There she laid, around a couple of centimeters next to him, thinking of nothing bad when in reality, he had to confess something.

Luhan remembered that Ren only let Mei go with him because he was in a long-term relationship. Ren was assured that those kinds of relationships couldn’t be broken that easily and surely not that suddenly, because neither of them, not Luhan or his ex, told anyone about the problems in their relationship. It was unlikely for Luhan to hide something like this from his best friend, but he didn’t want to bedevil him with that. It was too obvious, too imaginable for Luhan how he would react. (Most likely with “It’ll get better soon” and that it was.) Having Ren as a best friend was stress free, but he was bad in giving help and advices. So when he left for his road trip, his friend still thought that he was in love with his girlfriend like before (but that was totally wrong).

What was he supposed to do now? Would Mei think he lied to all of them? Would it affect their progressing relationship? Would Mei lock her heart and stop trusting him? Or worse… would she withdraw from him because she’d think he’d probably hit on her?

But now she was lying in front of him, facing him with her clear and honest eyes and a smile as sweet as he always saw it. (How could he continue to lie to her?) Luhan would rather have a sincere relationship with her than a close one which was based on lies.

“Mei…” Luhan inhaled and held in the air for a moment. Mei shifted her head on the pillow and her gaze got inquiring. She grabbed on the edge of her blanket and pulled it up to cover her shoulders – but not because she felt being watched by Luhan in her thin lace top she was always wearing to sleep, but because it was cold due to the cold, rainy weather.

“I don’t have a girlfriend anymore.”

And out of all reactions he could get, from being confused to mad, he got the one he expected the least.

“I’m so sorry,” Mei replied and her look got caring, sympathetic. “What happened?” She paused. “Are you alright?”

Out of all reactions he was imagining, she took the one he least expected. Other girls would have probably insisted to change rooms or pushed him away on the couch or even worse – call the boyfriend.

But Mei was lying there in the same position, not making any movement or any sign of being negatively affected by his confessions. She was sincere, she was worried. And slowly, Luhan could see why Ren had fallen in love with her. (Who wouldn't after getting to know her?)

Feeling lighter now, Luhan did the same as the girl and pulled the blanket up to his neck. It felt like the room had gotten a lot colder during the past hours when they were sitting in the lobby, watching TV and eating. The coldness caused by the rain seemed to eat them up. They were just hoping for the sun now.

“It just didn’t work out,” he said and it was easier for him to tell her now that he knew that she actually cared about him. She cared about him rather than feel betrayed. “Actually, it didn’t work out for a long time already. She knew it as well and I cut the strings yesterday. That was why I didn’t call her back. I needed time to think and she thought I would come back to her. Instead of telling her right away, I just went on a road trip and ran away. I’m the worst, aren’t I?”

Luhan sounded so sad and in so much pain inwardly, that Mei couldn’t be mad at him. Why would she in the first place? Of course it was not right of him to run away from his responsibilities than facing and solving them, but why continue torturing him with this when he already knew what he did was wrong?

“You’re not the worst, Luhan. Stop thinking like that. You can feel proud that you overcome your doubts and fears and finally faced your problems. Be proud of that instead of remembering yourself of your faults over and over again.” Her voice was soft, yet cheerful. It took most of his pain away, mainly because of the relief that Mei wasn’t mad at him. (He couldn’t afford turning the only person who was keeping him company now against him.)

“Are you okay?” She repeated and looked at him as if she could feel what was going on in his mind, as if she could feel his doubts and fears. (Probably, she really did.)

“I’m fine. Now, that you know about it.” Luhan’s lips tilted up again, partly because of relief and partly because of Mei’s acceptance. “It was over a long time ago. I just needed a clear cut under it.”

“I’m glad as long as you’re happy with it.”

Far away, a thunder could be heard. The noise was hushed, probably still a couple of kilometers away. Mei just hoped that it would pass by them as fast as possible. She wanted sun and warmth, because the next day was planned for a visit on the beach.

“I will ask you again… are you okay with this?” Luhan was concerned that she would send him away, but if it would be that way, she couldn’t be blamed. Sleeping in the same bed with a single boy… wasn’t it suspicious, especially if they didn’t know each other for a long time?

Against his expectations, Mei let out a quiet laughter. “It’s totally fine with me Luhan. It’s not like you’re going to hit on me, right? I’m your best friend’s girlfriend after all.”

She said it so casually. His best friend’s girlfriend. So casually that it caused his heart to tighten. His best friend’s girlfriend. He had never been called that way. And even if, he had never expected it to affect him that negatively. (Why?, he was asking himself.)

“Absolutely not.” His words were sincere, but he had a hard time bearing down the bitterness coming along with it and he didn’t know why it was that way. (He should be happy still having Mei beside him, right?)

“Good.” Her smile was so carefree and honest that he couldn’t be bothered by the words coming out of before. Mei’s mood was infectious and he wondered when it became that way.

Another growling thunder broke the silence and the monotonous sound of the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter