What Started It

Mr Flexible

 


"No, come on! Harder! Don't be like a dead man!" Don't think wrong. That was just my best friend, Minah. We were practicing for the annual dance competition, Dance It Off, affectionately referred as DIO by frequent participants. I knew about it, of course, being an avid dancer. But despite my natural love for the sport I couldn't master it well. I was either told I wasn't putting enough energy in it or I look awkward. So I never had the courage to join this kind of inter-country dance competition. What spurred this whole thing was probably a dare. 
And here's how it goes. 

I go to school with Minah to BigHit High, where the people there are either talented in aesthetics like or simply nerds. I had no idea how I fit into the crowd, since I was neither. The description sounds normal right? Just like any other high school with jocks and cheerleaders and stuff. Well there were kingkas alright, no queenkas (thank god, I heard they can be ) the typical stunning-looks, talented-to-the-sky boys, this being a norm for them as they called themselves BTS (A/N: Not a kpop group, but a street dance group that does performances and covers that sort of thing), otherwise known as 방탄소년단 (i.e. bang-tan-so-nyeon-dan Bulletproof Boys). They were dancing kings I tell you but I ain't gonna admit that. So out of all of them handsome boys there's this shortie by the name of Jimin.

Somehow, he found out we dance as well and approached our table during lunchtime one day. I, being completely oblivious of my surroundings and of hot people, continued having my lunch like no was going on but Minah, on the other end stopped ranting on about what she was talking about and her voice got all high and I could tell she was smiling really hard as she said, "Oh? BTS-sunbaes*? May we help you?" I briefly looked up and looked down again, hiding my scowl. Not to be rude, but they are always followed by an entourage of squealing fangirls and it seriously hurts my eardrums. Thus, I prefer to stay away from all of them. 

"Ah, ani, we just heard you girls dance too?" Their leader, Rap Monster asked politely. Minah nodded eagerly; her smile couldn't be bigger. Well, any cute boy talk to her and she couldn't control herself. 

The boys started nodding, then their main dancer Jimin spoke up. "Then I guess you're joining the annual 'Dance It Off'?" 

I shook my head. "We dance for recreation purposes, aren't that pro." 
Minah regretfully looked down and nodded. It looks like she wanted to brag about it so they would pay the least attention to her. 

"Ah, so we have a bunch of wannabe dancers. And I thought we could do some major dance battle." 

OH HE DID NOT JUST SAY THAT, I thought. My head shot up sharply, staring at him through slitted eyes. Was that a dare? Minah looked hurt. I slammed the table. Oh he wanted a fight? He was gonna get one. "Oh oops, I meant I wasn't gonna humor you when we beat you hands-down in the competition. We are joining the competition," I announced, confidence lacing my voice while staring him in the eye. I could hear Minah gasp beside me. 

"Great. We'll see you girls there." With that, they walked off without another word. I sat down with a huff, my cheeks puffed up with air as I blew on my bangs. 

Minah pulled on my arm and stated, "Are you kidding?! We're only amateurs, they are the pros. You might be having too big a dream to beat them!" I sighed. I had no idea, but it seemed we just had to. 


 

I don't go down without a fight. 

 

 

Thus we are doing this now. Dancing our butts off for practice at Prism Studios**. And it's really hard work. 

 

*They aren't actually sunbaes, but since they are the kingkas everybody admires them and calls them sunbaes. 

 

** I do not own Prism Studios, if there is any place actually called Prism Studios it is merely a coincidence.