Just Our Last

Just Our Last

As I walked at the side of a street, I saw no one. It was just me. I was alone.

 

And I wanted to be alone for the rest of my life.

 

The only streetlight that guided me to run away from home suddenly flickered. I stopped. Annoyance filled me when it flickered continuously.

 

"Yah! If you're going to die, just ing die now!" I shouted as if I was arguing with a real person and not an inanimate object. And as if the streetlight listened to my advice, it died.

 

"Oh, you must be kidding me!" I growled. And I ran. I ran to the bus stop, as if I was running from something – or someone.

 

A minute later, and just in time, the bus arrived.

 

I sat at the very back. I wanted to cry so much but not a single tear fell. I stared into nothingness and asked myself why I was living with no purpose at all.

 

 "... useless," I muttered to myself.

 

As I stepped off the bus, a cold breeze touched my pale skin. This was exactly what I needed right now – fresh air. I started walking to the seaside. The place was covered with darkness. Only the moon shed light – almost to assure I was not blind. Standing there for long minutes – or was it an hour – when I realized that I was not alone.

 

"Isn't it scary for a girl to be alone here this kind of hour?"

 

"Who are you?" I asked as the owner of the voice slowly approached me. I didn't back up, I didn't feel any fear, only curiosity. I couldn't see his face, only his figure. He was all and a bit skinny. And because of the cold breeze, I could make out that his hair was bit long, like a character from an anime.

 

"I'm no one," he said.

 

I liked his voice.

 

"Nice name," I replied sarcastically.

 

He gave out a quiet laugh, a chuckle. "You looked as if you were going to cry..." his voice sounded so full of concern.

 

"What are you talking about?" I asked him incredulously.

 

"Your eyes," he answered, turning to look at me.

 

 And we were face to face. I could see his face now. My earlier assumption was correct. He did look like he was taken right out of an anime, and it wasn’t just his hair. He had the most perfect, pointed nose and the jaw line that I adored so much in a guy. I couldn’t help but gaze at him.

 

"They look so sad."

 

He hugged me then.

 

And I let him, no longer caring who he was.