Episode 1 (Part 2)

Monstar (Season 2): One-shot

"You should bring some tampons next time," Teacher Dokgo complains to her colleague who is an English teacher for her class.

"Sorry to say this, but I've been waiting for you about 30 minutes. The convenient store was nearby you know."

"It was a long queue by the time I got there. Can't you believe that the cash machine was broken down early morning?"

"Anyway, thanks and I'll take your advice."

"Teacher!" It is Seung-hee calling for Teacher Dokgo. "I've been looking for you."

"Seung-hee. Oh! I'm late for class! Let's go, Seung-hee. Then, she turns to her colleague and says: "I'll see you around."

[JUMP CUT]

As they walk along the corridor towards their classroom, Seung-hee breaks the silence with some questions.

"Teacher, is there a transfer student in this school?"

"How do you know?"

"Well, I saw a boy with a guitar in his hands..."

"Seolma Jang Eun-jae? OH NO! I forgot about him until now..."

Seung-hee suddenly looks surprise hearing the name. "Jang Eun-jae? Is that his name?"

"Yes..." Teacher Dokgo is looking worried for Eun-jae as she's his homeroom teacher. "Do you know where he is now?"

"I don't know. Teacher, why don't you call his handphone?"

"Right! You're right! I must need his handphone number. Seung-hee, tell the class to self-study some Korean poems I've taught last week."

As Teacher Dokgo runs to look for Eun-jae, Seung-hee enters her classroom and gives the message to the whole class. Furthermore, she's their class president.

[JUMP CUT]

"This is the first time...," Eun-jae thinks these words as he walks his way out of Buk-chon High.

"Maybe I'll act like nothing happened..."

"Coast is clear." A whisper stops Eun-jae in his tracks. He hides beside a wall he has come acrossed. He peeks out to see three students climbing over the school's entrance gate. It's obvious for them to be studying here due to them wearing Buk-chon's school uniforms. First student to climb over is a girl with long hair tied as a ponytail. Then, another girl climbs over. Lastly, a boy looking a bit scared as he looks around for any teachers catching them here. "Come on. Let's hurry," Ms Ponytail says to her friends behind her.

They don't see Eun-jae hiding beside the wall. When they enter the school building, Eun-jae comes out with a curious look at them. He's thinking of whether his life will be changed after tomorrow.

[JUMP CUT]

"Noona," the boy calls Ms Ponytail. Looking at his face makes anyone in high school thinks he's in middle school. He and his two female friends are squatting while peeking through their classroom's window. "We should have skipped school."

"Oh, don't be scared, Seo Tae-young," Ms Ponytail replies. "We'll just sneak in from the backdoor when Teacher Dokgo is facing in front of the blackboard. "

"Soo-bin, must we trust Noona?" Tae-young whispers these words to Lee Soo-bin whose light brown hair is fitted nicely in a black hairband just like the one Suzy wore for her drama 2 years ago.

"Well, we're already in school, Soo-bin replies. "We can't skip our first day in school that's a lovely day."

Ms Ponytail: "It won't be if we don't go in right now. Quickly now."

Just as they tip-toe their way to their seats, Seung-hee is with Teacher Dokgo in front when the latter asks for Seung-hee's help.

"Will you do that, Seung-hee?"

Seung-hee nods her head with a "Yes" response and that when she sees the trio sneaking behind. She gives a quick look at their faces and calls out their names.

"Eun Shin-kyung. Lee Soo-bin. Seo Tae-young."

Shin-kyung, the leader of the trio, closes her eyes, looking embarassed when her name is called out loud in the classroom. Teacher Dokgo, whose eyes are shooting like lasers at the trio, questions the leader: "Where have you been, Eun Shin-kyung? Since it's the first day of school today, I'll let you (the three of you) go, but late for the next time, you'll see if that happens. Take your seats."

The trio take their respective seats, but as Shin-kyung sits down, she glares coldly at Seung-hee. For some reason, Shin-kyung hates Seung-hee regardless of this. And that'll become complicated soon enough.

[JUMP CUT]

Wandering in the streets of Hongdae a day after he arrived yesterday makes Eun-jae feel relaxed as he sees a daily routine of artistic people doing artistic things as Hongdae being known as an artistic place. Guesthouses, cafes, food stalls and, not to forget, street performances by various people makes Hongdae a sanctuary for inspiring artists, including the indie musicians. He's been wandering to and fro around several hours will it's already 2 o'clock.

As he's walking a street leading to Hongdae University, he hears a ruckus at a cafe nearby. He goes to see what sort of commotion at that cafe. He arrives to see a middle-aged man scolding 4 young men, who are probably in their mid-20s. They're about to be told to get lost by the old man. Eun-jae walks up to them and confronts the manager on what this is about.

Manager: How can you be so irresponsible?! I should have known not to trust youngsters like you!

[Eun-jae stands to watch this commotion with a concerned look on his face.]

Leader: Please, sir. He'll be here soon. He just sent his little sister to a hospital.

Manager: This is my 1st anniversary of opening this cafe! I was expecting you punks to keep to your promise as I've kept my promise to these customers of mine waiting right now for me to give free stuff to them for being here today! This so-called performance of yours is wasting their time and my time!!

You know what?! Skip this initiation of me officiating the anniversary, and it's better! Make your choice. Leave or start now.

Drummer: (whispers to the leader) What do we do, Hyung?

Keyboardist: I think it's best to start without him.

Bassist: I agree. Hyung, we can't make the people here waiting for long. We're supposed to give them a good impression of this cafe and our band.

Leader: I know, but we don't have a guitarist here. I've brought my own guitar, but I can't play it. My fingers...

Manager: Well, you punks must leave or else I'm calling the police and...

Eun-jae: Ahjusshi. (The manager turns to look at Eun-jae calling him rudely.) Hajimaseyo./Please stop.

Manager: What?? Who are you, kid? (He sees a guitar bag behind Eun-jae's back.) Are you the guitarist? Well, it's about time!

Leader: He's not...

Eun-jae: I'll help you. Show me the song you're going to perform. 

Bassist: (whispers to the leader) Hyung, this kid sounds confident in helping us.

Keyboardist: You think we can trust him? He looks like a high school student.

Leader: (walks up to Eun-jae with a music shhet in his hand) Here.

[Eun-jae takes a look at it in his hand. The leader looks at him waiting to see whether Eun-jae can sing this song or not.]

Eun-jae: This...I know this song. 

Leader: Can you do it? My band can't mess up in front of this crowd. You'll have to read this while you...

Eun-jae: Let's do it. (looking at the surprised leader) I see that's your guitar over there.

Without hesitating, the band leader decides to trust Eun-jae no matter what. They've no choice though.

As they prepare to be in their positions, Eun-jae plugs the guitar's wire to an amplifier; he tunes it till he's quite sure of the right tune to the song they're about to play.

The manager walks up to the microphone to introduce this band's performance. Although he's upset of them delaying, he tries to speak cheerfully towards the crowd in front of him.

"Everyone," the manager's voice echoes through the speakers. "I apologise for the delay, but I hope you'll be able to forgive me and the band, REDangle, on this special occasion. I can ensure you that they'll make your day better. So, give an applause for REDangle!"

And so it begins of this indie band to make a name for themselves with the exception of Eun-jae being their guitarist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHMiACgv-Bc (Title: 20-year-old me)

[JUMP CUT]

"CHEERS!" Eun-jae has a non-alchoholic drink with the REDangle members. Their guitarists eventually showed up right after they've finished that cover song in front of the crowd who cheers for an encore. It's quite a good thing for the REDangle members letting Eun-jae helped them with his guitar skills. The cafe manager is now nice too them and he even apologise to the 5 boys of REDangle while they're sitting inside his cafe.

"The drinks are on me!" he says when he serves their drinks to them on a hot afternoon. "And I want to apologise for being harsh on you boys. I hope you're not hurt when I said those harsh words in front of the crowd."

"It's okay, ahjusshi," the band leader replies. "It's an important day for you not to ruin it. Luckily this boy here was willing to help." The band leader smiles earnestly at Eun-jae as Eun-jae smiles back to him and his other bandmates. The old man leaves the boys to have a casual talk by themselves.

Guitarist: So, kid. Thanks for your help to the band here. Where did you come from?

Eun-jae: Okinawa.

Keyboardist: Okinawa? Japan? Wah! No wonder you look like a foreigner.

Eun-jae: Actually, I'm 100% Korean. I've arrived here yesterday.

Bassist: Ooohh. Are you a high school student? Because you look quite young to me.

Eun-jae: Yes. I'm a transfer student as of today. I've to be attending school tomorrow.

Leader: So, I guess we can't see you then anymore. I mean, it was great having you in the band for today.

Eun-jae: Well, I don't mind seeing you guys again. I wonder how we can meet up.

Drummer: I know! Have you heard of the upcoming "Band Festival" (밴드 페스티벌) this year? It'll be held on the first Sunday of April.

Eun-jae: Band Festival?

Bassist: It's the most exciting event for all bands like us! Speaking of that, Eun-jae, do you want to do it? I hear you can represent your school in this competition.

Eun-jae: I don't have a band. So, unfortunately I can't join in.

Leader: Is that the reason? Surely you've some friends to form your own band.

Eun-jae: Well, I'm not sure. But I can come and watch you guys perform there.

Keyboardist: Really? :D

Leader: If you want, we're willing to let you join our band. We could use another guitarist on board.

Guitarist: Hyung! (showing a sulky face at him) I'm not gonna leave the band. Besides, Okinawa Boy is underage to have a drink with you.

Keyboardist: Hey. Don't be sensitive. But, this kid is much cooler in playing the guitar. (giggles)

Leader: You punks are not leaving this band. Not even when a new member comes in suddenly.

Eun-jae: Well, I'm good with the things I've now. Mianhae.

Leader: (smiles at Eun-jae) Okay. We respect your decision.

[JUMP CUT]

[Eun-jae helps REDangle pack their stuff in a hippie van along with the band leader counting their earned money they got from the cafe manager.

Leader: Here. (hands some cash to Eun-jae) You deserve to get this much.

Eun-jae: You didn't have to. I've got my expenses...

Leader: I insist. I'll feel bad if you don't take it.

Eun-jae: (takes the money reluctantly) Thank you. Well, I'm probably in need of some cash.

[They smile at each other until the band drummer calls out to the band leader.]

Drummer: Hyung, let's go. We're gonna be late for our next concert.

Eun-jae: Wow! You're quite popular from what I've seen and heard today.

Leader: It's nothing. See you at the Band Festival, Jang Eun-jae.

[REDangle takes off with some of the members, at the backseats, turn around to wave goodbye at Eun-jae. Eun-jae waves back at the fellow members while smiling genuinely. Then, as he's about to leave the site he has been standing, he bumps into a woman, who is as nearly tall as Eun-jae, is wearing dark sunglasses along with dark clothing that makes her almost look like a lawyer.]

"I'm sorry/ Joesonghamnida", Eun-jae apologises. He looks up to see her face. Although he can't see her eyes, he feels she's glaring at him. It's strange that she stares at Eun-jae for a few moments until Eun-jae gets a call from his handphone in his pocket. He answers the call.

"Oh, uncle," Eun-jae replies and walks away when he feels like he's bothering the woman in front of him. Though it's rude, but Eun-jae thinks it's best to stay out of her way. He keeps on talking about his arrival in Korea until he has left further away from the woman. The woman takes off her sunglasses. Her eyes reveal the look of nostalgia and confusion as she has seen Eun-jae before.

[JUMP CUT]

[Later that evening at a nightclub in Hongdae]

Soo-bin: Shin-kyung, I don't think this is a good idea.

Shin-kyung: Come on! We need those two guys to form our complete band.

Tae-young: Noona, if something happens, I'll protect you first of all.

Shin-kyung: (smirks) See. Tae-young is willing to go with my plan. Soo-bin, it's okay if you don't want to come in here.

Soo-bin: I'm getting worried that you might...you know.

Shin-kyung: Are you in or out? Because here they come. (waves right hand at two young men in their 20s) Oppa, here!

[One of the men wave at her who seems to be her "close partner". At that moment, Eun-jae is passing by until he turns his head to see the 3 teens he recognised at Buk-chon High. Eun-jae looks surprised to see them hanging out with two adult men outside of this nightclub in front of him. Then, they all walk inside of the nightclub. Somehow, Eun-jae follows them with the feeling that he needs to help them though he barely knows them. And after tonight, things won't be the same when tomorrow comes.]