Chapter 5

L'anello

The sun was too bright for Sungyeol’s sleepy eyes. Groaning slightly, he turned his head slowly to the right, only to see nothing but brightness. As his eyes finally adapted to the light and cleared up, he was met with a face very close to his own. He smiled at L’s sleeping face; it looked so serene. He felt a strong urge to caress the sleeping face, and so that’s what he did. Letting his hand travel down the soft cheek, his sighed in contentment at the feeling. Then, as if only just realizing what he was doing, Sungyeol shot up and looked forward. ‘What the…’

“You awake?” Sunggyu asked whilst sitting rock ten feet away from the blankets. He was busy cleaning his sword, though who knows why since he hadn’t used it yet.

A simple nod was all Sungyeol gave him as he looked back down at L who was beginning to wake up. He looked around at the other pallets to find that they were empty. Sungjong came from behind a tree and spoke to Sunggyu.

“I’ll take you guys through Evian because you’re heading West anyway. Then you can continue on after eating at my friend’s pub.”

“Sounds good.” He replied.

~

It took a few long hours to walk to Evian and –according to Sungjong- this was nothing in comparison to some places he had walked before.

Surprise hit them as they arrived at the town. It looked like it came straight from an old Earth western movie. The place was a run down as Tane, if not more-so. In fact, it wasn’t far from being just like the dead spot they went through. Sungjong led them down a fairly populated dirt street towards a small building at the end. “I’ll take you to the pub that my friends Henry and Amber own. They just got married and I haven’t seen ‘em since I last sold ‘em vegetables ‘bout a month ago.”

“Vegetables? How much do they sell for out here?” Woohyun asked out of curiosity. Vegetables were nearly an extinct thing from Tane due to the harsh environment and declining amount of working greenhouses.

“It depends. I sell a bucket to Henry and Amber for a dime.”

“A dime? That’s it?”

“What, they’re my friends! You think I’d make ‘em pay more than that?” Sungjong raised an eyebrow at Woohyun who just shrugged his shoulders. Hoya, looking intrigued, spoke up.

“Wait, vegetables? Where do you get them from?”

“I get ‘em from my garden.”

“You actually have a garden?” Hoya asked as they walked. “In an area like this?”

Sungjong smiled but didn’t turn around to answer and simply yelled over his shoulder. “Yeah! Somehow we, well I, get full green and well grown crop whilst no one else here does.” He turned to face them with a chuckle in his voice. “The dirty thieves have stopped trying to steal my veggies though because they know I’d beat ‘em up- What are you doing?”

Everyone followed his gaze to Hoya who just stood completely still with his eyes closed. “I’m thinking.”

What on Aarde do you need to stand still and think for?” Sunggyu asked, looking bewildered at the sudden change in behavior. Hoya opened his eyes and gazed at Sungjong.

“You say you have full crop…it’s like the spirit is looking out for you despite the dying environment.” Sungjong just lifted an eyebrow.

“Uh..sure?” Hoya took large, quick strides towards the boy who held his hands up in defense. He grabbed onto his shoulders then touched the younger male’s pretty face, squishing his cheeks and pulling on the sides of his face. The others looked on in both amusement and confusion. Sungjong smacked Hoya’s hands away with his own.

“Yah! What are you doing?!”

“You say you don’t know your parents? Like you were taken in by that guy?” His eyes never left Sungjong’s as he continued with his impromptu questioning.

“Well, yeah, but why does that matter?”

“What if you weren’t taken in or adopted but rather kidnapped?”

“…Well, I guess I wouldn’t put it passed the dude.” Sungjong leaned back, feeling a freaked out by Hoya’s explosion.

Hoya’s eyes widened. “That’s just it.. I was looking at the wrong person. You’re Jongsuk’s brother. You’re the prince.”

A few others looked surprised and the rest looked simply confused.

I’m the what now?”

Then, all hell broke loose. The ground shook violently with what might have been an earthquake. The sky turned a dark orange, almost brown color as a strong wind blew everyone down. In fear, the town was filled with screams and panic. Without thought, the whole group took off in frantic running as the shaking increased and a large crack sounded in the air. Sungyeol ran in circles, unsure of where to go when he spotted what caused the sound. A huge crack in the crust, revealing a mystic glow of red underneath, was crawling its way towards the small town. Many more, even louder, cracks ripped up the land, swallowing small buildings at the edge of the town into the underneath.

He looked back around only to find that everyone was missing. His stomach dropped. What was he to do now? Suddenly, sungyeol spotted Woohyun underneath a porch and his heart leaped with joy. Woohyun saw him as well.

“I need to sleep!”Sungyeol yelled over the rumbling. Aarde… L’anello was seriously hurt; and Sungyeol was going to do something about it.

Woohyun just looked confused as he made his way back out. “What? Why?”

“I need to talk to her!”

 “Talk to who?!” He yelled back incredulously,most likely wodnering if Sungyeol was going mad. But suddenly, he got swept up by a running crowd of people and was then too far away to hear. A few seconds passed and Sungyeol realized he felt lonely… lonely and fearful as he faced the hellish cracks. Lighting struck hard nearby and he jumped. He just wished, wished for someone to be there as he looked side to side. Fate smiled upon him as L suddenly jumped from behind a building and was running his way. L then extended a hand out as he ran frantically. He ran as well, and held a hand out towards L’s. He would take L’s hand and they would go find the others, or take cover. But as their hands connected, as if in slow motion, everything stopped.

The seemingly flaming cracks stopped moving and practically sealed themselves up, the constant lightning halted completely, and the sky returned to its normal light blue. It was like magic.

Both of them looked down at their connected hands in awe, as if wondering what really just happened and yet somehow knowing exactly what just happened. Sungyeol’s ring lit up brightly and a feeling of calmness filled his entire being. At the same time, their gazes lifted to meet each other’s eyes. Sungyeol gasped quietly at L who’s eyes were half-lidded and glowing; his irises colored light blue and bright as day. If someone hadn’t grabbed his shoulder, Sungyeol would have stared in those eyes for forever. What is this? Had he found the missing piece?

At that particular thought, he saw –in his mind’s eye-a glimpse of L’anello, smiling brightly.

“What just happened? Dude are you alri- woah.”  It was Dongwoo who grabbed their shoulders, turning them around. He saw L’s eyes glowing and he froze before they faded as Sungyeol and L’s hands fell apart. The rest of the group made their way up to them, a few looking around the normal-again (minus a few missing buildings) area in surprise.

 “What on Aarde just happened?” Sunggyu demanded of the two, seeming to know it had something to do with them.

“Aarde is falling apart. L’anello’s spirit is torn.” Sungyeol replied softly, eyes glued to the ring as he touched it.

“What does that mean exactly?” Woohyun asked, looking worried and unsure.

“We need to continue moving. Immediately.” His eyes met with L’s again and they both knew a talk was in order as soon as possible.