Three

Compositions and coffee beans

February 19th, Tuesday

 

“Where the hell is Jonghyun? It’s like the third day that he hasn’t showed up,” Key complained. “He better pay me back for this hazelnut latte.”

Jinki raised his eyebrows. “Jonghyun likes hazelnut?”

“You can have it.” Key slid the cup toward him and Jinki’s face lit up. “Seriously, has anyone even talked to him since last week? Over the span of the weekend I sent him two texts, called twice, left a message once, and he hasn’t returned any of them.”

“I’ve been really busy,” said Minho. He had his laptop out and was typing frantically.

“Me too,” Jinki echoed.

Key’s head swiveled over to the only other person at the table. “Taemin?”

He wasn’t grading papers this morning, or sleeping. Today he was simply staring off into space with his cheek resting on his fist, coffee mostly untouched in front of him. He jumped a little when Key addressed him. “What?”

“Have you talked to Jonghyun lately?”

“Oh, n-no, I...uh…I’ve been really busy.” He cleared his throat.

Minho snorted. “Yeah, sure looks like it,” he said sarcastically. “What happened? You’ve been behind on grading pretty much since the semester started, and now you have nothing to do but daydream?’

Taemin was quiet for a moment before he responded. “No, that’s not it, I’m still not really caught up, I just…” He trailed off, his eyes circling around to everyone at the table. “There’s something I think I should tell you guys. I just hope that you won’t think less of me.”

This got Key’s attention right away. Minho and Jinki slowly looked away from what they were working on and waited for Taemin to continue.

“I haven’t been completely honest,” he said.

“I knew it!” Key burst out. “You are dating someone. Well, spit it out. Who is it?”

“No,” said Taemin firmly, “no, I’m not. I’m not dating anyone. There’s just...someone...who I sort of like.”

“Wait!” Jinki interrupted. “Why are you telling us this without Jonghyun here? I’m sure he’d wanna know too.”

Taemin sighed, not looking at anyone. “Jonghyun sort of already knows. And...the reason why he’s not here. I think it’s my fault.”

Taemin recounted the events of last Thursday morning and was met with shocked silence except for Key, who exclaimed, “You’re telling me that that rumor I heard was about you?! And Jongin??”

Taemin covered his face with a hand. “I don’t know. Maybe.”

“Well, I don’t really blame you,” Key said, calming down. “He does have nice lips.”

“Key!” Minho gasped. “I told you, don’t say things like that.” He snapped his laptop shut. “Taemin. What the hell is wrong with you? What are you thinking? Do you want to kill your career? If this gets out, your reputation is ruined. No one will take you seriously anymore.”

“No,” Taemin insisted. “Please just hold your judgment and let me explain. I know that it can’t work out. That’s why I told him that we have to keep our relationship professional.”

“Yeah, and how has that been going?” Minho asked.

“Fine,” Taemin said stiffly.

At that moment, the door opened and Jonghyun walked in with a binder under his arm and headphones around his neck. “Don’t mind me, I’m just here to get some work done. You don’t even have to bother noticing me at all.”

Taemin bit his lip.

Key stared at Jonghyun, perplexed, as he pulled up a chair at the very end of the conference table. “Jonghyun, what are you...where have you been? I was trying to get a hold of you all weekend.”

“Oh, here and there,” Jonghyun said loftily.

“Hyung,” said Taemin in a quiet voice.

“I don’t think you really have anything to say to me, Taemin,” Jonghyun said, and Minho and Jinki traded concerned glances with each other. “I know everything I need to.”

“Hyung, I’m not lying anymore. I told them,” Taemin said, but Jonghyun slid his headphones on, exiting the conversation.

The others slowly went back to their work, but Taemin wasn’t finished. He marched over to Jonghyun’s seat and ripped his headphones off. Jonghyun whirled around in shock.

“Hyung, listen to me. I’m not in a relationship with Jongin. This isn’t going to affect my work, so stop looking down on me.”

“What do you think you - I’m not - I don’t - that’s not why I --” Jonghyun spluttered, before he stood up too. “I don’t think you get it,” he continued, voice rising. “When I walked in on you almost kissing that guy, suddenly I knew why you’ve been avoiding my questions, and whose name you were really saying in your sleep. I can’t believe I ever thought…god, never mind.” Jonghyun paused for a moment before continuing again, practically yelling at this point. “I don’t care about your career, Taemin, I care about you!”

Everyone could only stare, taken aback. Taemin recovered first, trying to speak. “Hyung, I...I didn’t know...”

Jonghyun cut him off. “Just save it.” He hastily gathered up his things and made to leave. “I have compositions to grade.”