Chapter 2- Engagement Party

Thorns and Roses

CHAPTER 2 ENGAEMENT PARTY

Even for just quiet some time Mao saw how happy and how deeply in love her best friend was with Jun. She had realized telling her about what she had with Jun might ruin the beautiful spring they are building and so she kept quiet, not knowing until when she can keep it. Aiba and Jun went out first to give the two a little time alone. Before Masami could model to he7r boy friend Mao then said, “Hold on tight to him. I saw how happy you were. If ever Jun-san would do something wrong I’m the first person who’ll beat him up. I’ll not let him hurt you. Just be happy okay.” “I’ll be counting on that. See you.” Masami said. Mao smiled and uttered, “Sure. I’ll see you later.”

As she sat alone on the living room, she thought, ‘I promise I’ll not let him hurt you like what he did to me. He’ll never make you cry or else he’ll see the hell out of me.’

Nighttime came. A multi-billion dollar chandelier illuminated the hall. The guests were now getting in, filling the big hall. They had greeted Jun and Masami one by one, giving them luxurious gifts. Masami was wearing a white gown and a crown, which made her stood out among the wealthy crowd. She should, I mean she is the star of the night after all. She was waiting for Mao to arrive. “She promised me.” She worriedly whined. Jun held her hand and smiled, “Then she will come. Mao does what she promises.”

At last, Mao arrived. She was wearing an amethyst-colored gown. Her footwear was glittering violet. She was smiling as she spotted her best friend. She kissed her cheeks and said, “Gome Nasai. Did I miss anything?” Then the host started everything and music played. Masami dragged Mao upon receiving her present. She then said, “You didn’t miss a thing. That part is just about to happen.” Masami and Jun made their way to the dance floor and they danced, leaving Mao all alone.

Mao decided to linger around and she had bumped into old high school friends. At first she didn’t recognize them not until, “Mao?! Inoue Mao? I never thought seeing you around. Not here.” It was Horikita Maki, together with her long-time boy friend Yamaa Tomohisa in short ‘Yamapi’. “Maki! Pi-Chan! I am so glad to see you again. It’s been a year! How are you two?” Both of them showed their finger wearing rings. Happily engaged!” they happily chorused. “What? You were engaged? What kind of friends are you? Why did you not invite me?” Mao uttered. “Look who’s talking? We kept on contacting you, but we were not able to. It was one week after you left. If not for Aiba, we would not have understood everything that you and Jun are well… How are you now? Is this okay for you?” Yamapi uttered. At first it was just a tease but in the end it came to a serious matter, something that Mao wanted to burry deep down under, but maybe she can never do that specially at this time. She had been away for one year without contacting anyone, who could blame them?

“Daijobu. Honto Ni Daijobu. Actually he is going to get tied up with my best friend. I see Masami’s happiness is he and I won’t deprive her with that, just because of the past. I have learned to let him go on my one year stay at New York.” Mao said, smiling. Maki held her hand and said, “Mao-Chan, you are such a strong person and a good friend. Someday you’ll find the guy meant for you. There are many fishes in the sea.” “I’ll hold on to that. I better go somewhere and take some pictures for my article.” Mao said, but before she could leave Maki stopped her. She had remembered something. She then said, “Oh yes! I almost forgot you’ve been working in Times magazine, right? I’ve been reading your articles and columns. It just shows how successful you can be.” “Arigatou.” Mao thanked them, flattered as she departed.

She photographed the hall, the different guests and the couple themselves of course. She should not miss them. They are the most important part of the whole scenario. She had promised her boss a wonderful and interesting article for their next issue that was why she was allowed to take this up.

The music had stopped the music of silence dominated the hallway. All eyes were earnestly looking at the couple. There were different flashes here and there from the different expert photographers from different media centers. The rings were then presented to them. Jun then said, “I, Matsumoto Jun is giving you this ring as a sign of my great love and commitment to you. Now I am in front of you asking you if you could marry me and spend the eternity of your life with me, Masami.” Mao’s tears rolled down. Her heart saying no without any reason. Masami then said, “This ring I give to you as a sign of my whole self giving, giving you my heart and everything of me. I accept you to be my other half till eternity allows. Matsumoto Jun marrying you is the greatest dream that have come true in my life. Anata Wa Daisuki desu, Jun.” Mao still took photos however her tears can’t hold back.

The next thing she knows she was already running out of the hall, finding herself in a rose garden. There she didn’t play she was okay. She cried all she felt out, sadness and remorse. She had reminisced the day Jun had proposed to her.

It actually happened a week before their heart breaking break up. Jun was out of the country (as what he claimed), purposely not contacting Mao. As Mao was strolling along the sidewalk, pissed with what Jun did, the lights flickered and went off. Mao was afraid of ghosts and she was scared of those more than robbers or abductors. Out of nowhere someone grabbed her, for all she could describe she was abducted. She was placed somewhere with grasses. ‘I am at the park.’ She concluded in her thoughts as she felt the grass on her feet and had smelled the aroma of spring. Mao removed the cover of her eyes and saw no one around. In front of her there was a table and everything around her was filled with petals of roses. On the table was a beautifully decorated glass bottle, which Mao thinks was one of the projects she had during High school. She remembered giving it to Jun. The lights went back on and got the message out of it.

March 26, 2006

Dear Mao,

I am sorry for not answering your calls. I purposely did it to let your miss me and to make my plans workout as how I want it to be.

Reading the letter’s first few lines she right away knew that the letter was from Jun. Then she continued.

Knowing you, I know you are already really pissed off by now. Honto Ni Gome Nasai. It has been one week and not seeing you or contacting you is a pure torture. I am feeling what you are feeling and I know how hard and heart breaking it is.

Mao, I miss you. It is very hard to be away from you. The lights had turned off and as you came in front of me they came back, even brighter than what they had been before.

Mao, I love you. I always will.

-Jun-

Then the music of violin, cello and viola echoed all over. As Mao turned around she saw her friends. Suddenly it rained petal of roses and as she looked up she saw what her eyes and heart desired. Jun had jumped off the helicopter. Now that he has landed safely on the ground Mao hugged him. Then she let go and slapped him hard. “What was that for?” Jun complained, touching his right cheek. Mao pouted and had her own protest. “You made me worry. Kirai desu” Jun hugged her and sweetly whispered, “I did everything for you. You need not to worry about anything. I will always comeback for you.” Mao faced Jun and at this time Jun was already kneeling in front of her. He then proposed, “Inoue Mao will you marry me?” “Marry you? Even if I have to marry you a million times, I will Matsumoto Jun! I will!” Mao exclaimed. Remembering that day her tears flooded. She got her handkerchief and wiped off every bit of liquid carefully. She retouched herself before going in again.

As Masami saw her she waved. She then said, “I need to go now. I am a bit sleepy.” “Nani? It’s to early! Come on Mao, of all the guests here you are the only one whom I am dying to sit with. I miss you so much. And besides when you get back to New York you go back to being a busy Times magazine writer.” Masami explained, not allowing Mao to leave. Mao then said, “Demo I can’t sit and talk to anyone here. I can’t have you alone since you need to have to linger with your other guests.” Masami then uttered, “You can. Jun had invited your old friends such as; Ikuta-san, Horikita-san, Yamaa-san, Kamenashi-san, Toda-san and I bet you know a lot more in this crowd than I do.” Mao sighed. Again Masami had defeated her. She then said, “I’ll stay for awhile.” Masami sweetly smiled as she hugged her best friend.

While they were conversing somebody had kissed Mao at her right cheek. He then said, “Sumimasen, but May I take her with me?” Masami nodded. When Mao turned to check on whom it was and she was glad to see Kamenashi Kazuya. He was her fist suitor. He then brought her to the dance floor where a slow music was played. Mao’s arms were wrapped around his neck and his around her waist. Mao felt like a high school student again. She remembered how she and Jun had danced before. All she knew that time was that Jun was her first and last dance.

“Mao, I am glad to see you again. It’s been a year and I’ve noticed you’ve bloomed more beautifully.” Kazuya complimented. Mao smiled and said, “I am flattered Kame-kun. Well you really didn’t change much.” “Shall I take that as an insult or a compliment?” he challenged. She grinned widely and said, “How would you want to take it?” “I’ll take it as a compliment since this is the first time we have danced.” He reminded. Mao was surprised. She then asked, “Honto Ni? I-I… Really?” “I remember it pretty well that you never went to any of our school dance before, it was only during our senior high school year dance that you showed up. However you’ve been dancing with Matsumoto-san the whole night. Speaking of him, how are you? Is this okay for you?” he uttered, concerned.

He had just asked the same question, Pi-Chan and Maki threw to her. ”Daijobu. Honto Ni Daijobu.” Those same words came out from , but this time it was a lot harder to articulate. She was struggling for the words to break out “He’s going to get tied up with my best friend. Our past won’t stop the happiness of the future.” It sounded like a whisper to her but Mao was pretty sure Kazuya heard it. He smiled and said, “You really are a great friend Mao.”