Are you happy for me?

Sapphire Chaos

Author’s POV

The next morning, upon waking up, Kayla and Donghae both got ready to go to their work. And since Kayla still hadn’t told Donghae where she was going, Donghae’s mood wasn’t the best. It wasn’t that Kayla didn’t want to tell him about the job she’d gotten, but she wasn’t really sure how he would react to it. Most movies in Korea were romantic and she preferred finding out the details herself first before worrying Donghae more. As she was putting on her shoes, Donghae leaned on the wall next to her, carefully observing her. The fact that she hadn’t told him where she was going either made him frustrated.

“Okay, I’m done! I’ll see you later then my prince,” Kayla said and leaned in to kiss him softly. Instead of responding the kiss, Donghae dustily glared at her.

“I won’t let you walk out that door until you tell me where you’re going, miss Thompson,” he firmly told her. Kayla sighed and turned around to walk out the door but Donghae was quicker and blocked it.

“Donghae,” she started.

“No buts. Tell me,” he demanded.

“Gee, are you being that super overprotective boyfriend that nobody likes all of a sudden? H wait, you’ve always been like that. Why don’t you just let her go and she can tell you where she went afterwards? If she feels like it.” Donghae’s glare towards Eunhyuk who’d in wasn’t a joke; if looks could kill then Eunhyuk would’ve been dead long ago.

“Stay out of this Hyuk,” Donghae hissed. “I want to know where she’s going. That’s not overprotective.”

“Eh yes?” both Eunhyuk and Kayla said in unison. Donghae rolled his eyes. Kayla sighed. She did not have time for this and she could not be late on her first day!

“Fine,” she muttered, “if I tell you where I’m going will you let me go without asking what I’m going to do there?” Judging by Donghae’s expression, he wanted to know everything. However, his small nod was enough for Kayla at the moment. “Move then,” she said, pulling him out of the way and opening the door so that she could run out without hearing his questions.

“Well?”

“I’m going to Starhaus Entertainment,” Kayla said and like she’d thought Donghae’s wide eyes meant a lot of questions, but she was quick enough to avoid them by jumping out the door and running down the stairs, leaving Donghae both confused and aggravated to say the least. She could hear the noise and vibrations from the door when it slammed close behind her. I hope he doesn’t cause too much trouble today and make the members mad... Once out on the street, Kayla headed towards her new workplace and she luckily made it on time. Hwang-Mi was waiting for her down in the lobby with a big smile and a man standing next to her.

“Good morning, Kayla. You look lovely today,” Hwang-Mi greeted. Kayla smiled and bowed.

“Good morning. Thank you miss Kim. You as well,” she replied.

“Thank you.”

“You must be miss Thompson, I assume,” the man spoke. Kayla bowed again.

“Yes I am sir.”

“I’m going to be the director for ‘Dreaming of Seoul’. My name is Jo Sung-Hee,” the man introduced himself. Kayla frowned discreetly. She knew she’d heard that name somewhere...

“You might know who this man is, Kayla. He’s the director of ‘A werewolf boy’,” Hwang-Mi explained. Kayla gasped. Oh my god! I knew I’d heard it!

Oh yes I do know! I love that movie Mr Jo! It’s going to be an honour working with you,” Kayla exclaimed and bowed once more – one could never be too polite. Mr Jo chuckled and clapped his hands together.

“Then I hope you’ve signed the contract and will do me the honour of staring in the movie. It can only become perfect if you’re in it my dear,” he said. Kayla smiled shyly before she took up the signed contract and gave it to him. Mr Jo was thrilled to see her name on it. “Fantastic! Welcome aboard miss Thompson. I’ll do my best to make sure you’re first experience on the big screen will be a delight,” he assured. He held out his arm for her and well, who’d say no to follow? “We’ll go to my office here and talk more about the rest of the cast and what your schedule will look like in the nearest future.”

“Sounds great,” Kayla answered. Her body was close to hyperventilate out of excitement. I can’t believe this is happening! Donghae will be so proud of me!

-

Donghae’s POV

Hours after Kayla had made me irritated I could still feel it in my body. How could she not have told me why she was going to a big company like Starhaus Entertainment? And why hadn’t she told me that long ago? I pondered over questions like that all day, even during our vocal practise. I couldn’t say that it didn’t worry me a little what she was doing there, but that was only because I knew that SM Entertainment wasn’t too fond of other companies. They hated competition of all kinds and if Kayla had anything to do with Starhaus then complications might occur. From all that I knew, Starhaus Entertainment was a company that trained actors and actresses. Great ones too, like Lee Minho belonged to the company. Oh, god if Kayla meets him there... I thought, then she better not tell me about it. I perched my lips together upon seeing a rather unpleasant scenario in my head. Hm, I bet she would ask him for an autograph. Oh, come on, Donghae. You’re being silly. “Yes I am. I’m being silly. Stupid in fact. Paranoid too.”

“Hey, creepy guy. What are you saying?” Eunhyuk nudged me.

“Nothing,” I replied. My acting was good but Eunhyuk isn’t one to get fooled that easily, at least not by me. He raised an eyebrow, seeming quite amused to be honest.

“Really? So, you’re not thinking about the fact that Kayla is in the same building as the handsome Lee Minho then? Well, I guess that would be absurd, wouldn’t it?” Damn it, how did he know? I’m not THAT easy to read!

“No, I’m not,” I lied. Now one thing I wasn’t particularly good at was lying. Eunhyuk chuckled and ruffled my hair in a condescending matter. “Yah! Cut it out! Okay fine! I was thinking about it! But it’s not bothering me. I can handle it.”

“Yeah, right. You can handle that about as well as you would handle it if I hit on her,” Eunhyuk answered sarcastically. I rolled my eyes, though he was probably correct. That, however, did not mean that I needed to admit it.

“It doesn’t matter. I’ll question her when she gets home, or when I get home. Depending on which one gets home first.”

“Donghae, you don’t question your girlfriends. Never. That’s like telling her that you’re a douche and that she should break up with you,” Heechul out of nowhere joined in. Where had he come from anyway?

“Where did you come from?” I almost yelled. Heechul gave me a death glare so I immediately added, “Hyung.”

“I’ve always been here. So, back to the topic. Question Kayla and she’ll get mad like a bee. She’ll hit you, more than once. There’s something you must know Donghae. No matter whether your girlfriend is right or wrong, you must and cannot ever question her, especially not if it’s about work. Women hate that,” Heechul lectured.

I scoffed before replying, “She won’t be mad. She’ll understand that I’m worried about her and that I want to know where she is and if she’s safe with whatever she’s doing. I’m just protecting one of the most important people in my life, there is not one thing wrong with that!” Eunhyuk and Heechul exchanged looks with one another.

“Yes, there is,” the protested in unison. “You’re forgetting that Kayla isn’t a girl that needs protection of that kind and definitely not a boyfriend who tells her what she should and shouldn’t do,” Eunhyuk continued. Okay, they might have a point. But I hate not knowing!

“Let me handle my own relationship thank you,” I said, crossing my arms. “Promise, hyung and Hyuk, I know what I’m doing. And if Kayla thinks I’m a pain then I’ll step back.”

“Sounds good,” Heechul confirmed. After I had assured them and finally ended this conversation, Heechul and Hyuk proceeded by talking fashion. I could not pay less attention than I already did. I picked up my phone and checked if maybe Kayla had sent me any messages, she hadn’t. Perhaps I should send her own... Unless...

“Guys?” I called for their attention. They turned their heads towards me. “If I send Kayla a message... Am I being clingy then?” I asked.

“Yes.”

“No.”

I frowned confused. Heechul had said yes while Hyuk said no. “Which one of you should I listen to?” I wondered. Heechul and Hyuk looked at each other for a brief moment before they both took out their hands settled it by playing paper, scissors, stone. I put my head in my palm. These two were really special at times.

“I won,” Heechul said, “don’t send her one.” I sighed and put my phone down. Heechul often knew the best anyhow. We spent the rest of our day in the rehearsal room for our next concert and afterwards I headed to my acting classes. SM thought that I had a talent for acting and that I could be a fine actor with some practise. Apparently, there was a drama that would start filming in August-September and my manager had told the director that I might fit for one of those parts. It felt very exciting to be in another drama. I had been in two other dramas in the past, one was completely in Chinese. I’d been a bad guy in that drama and Siwon had actually been the good guy. Kayla was forced to watch it over the summer when I was abroad and she thought it was really good. I suspected that she once tried to say that I thought I looked hot in a specific scene but as she had been too shy, she had started coughing and the ‘forgotten’ what she wanted to say. I chuckled silently to myself and smiled from ear to ear.

After the acting classes I met with the members again and we had a quick meeting with our manager before he sent us home for the day. It was almost nine o’clock when we got home and I assumed that Kayla would be home. She wasn’t, the lights were off and the upper lock was locked. Where could she be at this hour? I brought up my phone and called her. She picked up after two signals.

“Hi Hae!” she cheerfully answered. The heck?

“Hi princess... what’s up with the cheerful tone?” I asked amused, chuckling quietly.

“Oh, nothing. I’m just happy. I’m out with a couple of people, eating dinner. So there’s no food for you guys, sorry.” A couple of people? All right, here’s your test Donghae. Act cool.

I cleared my throat. “Dinner, eh? Anyone I know?” Nailed it!

“Mm, no. All new people. Don’t worry, I’m safe. And I’ll be heading home soon. Dessert just arrived so I’ll eat it and then grab a cab home, okay?”

“Sure, no problem. Enjoy yourself. I’ll see you later. I love you,” I said. This whole ‘acting cool’ thing wasn’t easy. Truthfully I wanted to know exactly which people she was with...

“Thanks. See you later, love you more!” She hung up.

“Damn it,” I muttered. I went out to the kitchen where the guys had decided to order food home instead of letting tired Ryeowook cook. About half an hour later, the food arrived and we all sat down in the living room to eat. We talked about various things, everything from favourite movies to what we’d like to do if SM ever gave us a break. We laughed at the thought that SM would give us another break anytime soon again since my birthday present was ‘long’ according to them. As we were going through memories of different sorts, the front door opened. “Hi princess!” I shouted.

“Hi! Oh, Donghae! You can never believe what happened today!”

“Really? Then tell me and we’ll have to see if I believe you,” I replied. Kayla dropped her bag in the hallway and came in to the living room. She sat down on her knees behind me and gave me a back hug while I lifted my head so that she could kiss me.

“Well, as you know, I went to Starhaus Entertainment. And the reason I went there is because that on the same day that I went to that audition for the drama, a casting director caught me afterwards, her name is Kim Hwang-Mi, and she told me that I possessed a great amount of acting talent. She has offered me a lead role in a movie called ‘Dreaming of Seoul’ and today I signed the contract! I also took my first acting class and the teacher told me I was really good! Then the director, Mr Jo Sung-Hee who is the director of ‘A werewolf boy’, took me and Hwang-Mi and a couple of other people out to dinner! I met Lee Minho too!” Kayla blurted out all at once as it seemed.

“And there it is,” Kyuhyun triumphantly exclaimed and high fived with Eunhyuk. I on the other hand was busy staring at Kayla. What? Kayla smiled at me brightly.

“You’re right. I don’t believe you,” I replied. I must’ve look like a question mark because Kayla giggled and pecked my forehead.

“It’s true! I promise!”

“Why haven’t you told me until now? And what kind of contract have you signed? You’re not signed to Starhaus Entertainment are you?” I sounded a bit panicked. Kayla blinked.

“What does that matter?” she wondered. I got wide eyes and turned around to her.

“Did you?!” I didn’t mean to raise my voice, it just sort of happened.

“No! Donghae... What’s the matter? I thought you’d be happy for me.” Kayla’s smile had been replaced with a frown and she looked hurt. I instantly took her face in my hands and smiled.

“Of course I’m happy for you,” I assured. “I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to yell at you. It’s just that you need to tell me before you sign a contract like that. I’m guessing you didn’t tell the casting director that you’re together with me and that you live here, did you?”

Kayla confusedly shook her head. “No, why would they need to know that?”

“Well...” I turned around to find Leeteuk. “Hyung, can you explain?”

“Sure. It’s like this Kayla,” Leeteuk began, “since Donghae and the rest of us are signed to SM, we’re not originally allowed to date outside our company. You are an exception. You’re not supposed to be able to date Donghae and living with us is out of the question according to all policy. However, since Donghae asked the company with your safety in mind, they allowed it. That also has to do with the fact that you aren’t famous, no one knows that much about you even now. But, if you were to sign to a concurrent to SM, such as Starhaus Entertainment, then they would be responsible for you, meaning you wouldn’t be able to live with us and maybe not even be together with Donghae if the your company forbids it.”

“In other words, you would have to choose between me and the contract,” I finished.

“Oh... Hm. I didn’t know that. Oh well, the contract is only for the movie, nothing else! Besides, I would never choose the company over you,” Kayla said, smiling again. I smiled too and pulled her into a hug.

“Thanks princess.” I let go and took her hands in my own, caressing them gently. “I’m really happy for you! And I’ll go with you on the premier definitely,” I said with a wink.

“Haha, I hoped you would! But first I need to actually start filming it. And that will most likely be in January or so. And the filming is expected to take approximately four-six months. They haven’t finished the full script yet so they didn’t know. But somewhere between four and six months!”

“Sounds fun! Can you tell me what the movie is about?” I asked.

“Eh, sure... Just promise me that you’ll let me do this movie, okay?” My face twisted at that comment. Oh, boy. Here we go... “Please?” Kayla pleaded.

I heard the members behind me laugh. I sighed. “I’m going to regret this... All right, I promise. Now tell me what it is,” I demanded.

Kayla smiled innocently and took a deep breath. “The movie is about a girl that moves from either the states or the UK and she wants to experience something new, start a new life. I think they’ve changed a bit so that I’ll be coming here as an exchange student... Hehe...” she made a pause. I gave her a faked smile. “Okay, fine. Yes, she falls in love with a guy and he tries to convince her to stay but she says she can’t and then she of course can’t go in the end.”

“Are you going to kiss anyone?” I figured it was for the best if I just asked her that straight away. Kayla bit her lip. “Well?”

“No. They told me that they don’t kiss on screen... So, no is the answer.”

I smiled and kissed her nose. “Good, then I’m all for it!”

“Yay!” Kayla cheered. I laughed and pulled her into another hug. “I hoped you would be proud of me. Hehe...” she mumbled.

“Trust me, I am. Very, very proud! I love you princess, so much.”

“I love you too, my prince.”

“Are you tired?” I asked as I pulled away. She nodded. “Okay, then let’s go to bed,” I suggested. I got up to my feet and helped her up. “Good night guys,” I said to the guys, waving.

“Good night,” they said. I took Kayla with me to the bathroom where we brushed our teeth and then we went in to our bedroom, changed into PJs and crawled down in bed.

I wrapped my arms around Kayla and rested my head in the crook of her neck, snuggling into her hair. She had her hands underneath her head. “Good night my princess. I love you above all else,” I whispered in her ear.

“I love you more, my prince,” she mumbled back. I smiled, happily entering dreamland within a few minutes.


Hello! I'm back with another chapter! Hope you like it a lot and give me some positive comments because I could really need some hehe xD Anyway, I'm currently away so I don't know when I'll be able to update another chapter but I'll try to write as much as possible! :)

Take care! Love you all and Happy New Year!!! <333