Not So Strange After All

SarangHAE

“Omo, I’m so sorry! I can’t believe my phone was on silent, I feel so terrible!” Jisu apologized for the tenth time. And for the tenth time Marissa told her it was fine, “Seriously, Jisu-ssi forget about it. No harm, no foul. I got into my apartment just fine.”

“Your keys were in your bag? Oh no! Now I feel even worse!! How did you get back in?” Marissa decided to only address the first part of that particular statement, “It’s FINE. Come on it was an accident, stop feeling like it was your fault. I left the stupid bag in your car okay. No more apologies!”

“Okay, okay,” Jisu gave in and grinned sideways at her, “But now I owe you.”

“You what”

“I owe you, to make up for this.” Marissa started to protest but Jisu cut her off, “Nope! You won’t win this one. I haven’t decided yet what I’ll do yet but whatever it is you have to go along with it or I’ll never let this go. Agreed?” Marissa sighed in defeat at the stubborn girl and earned herself a huge hug. It was after school the next day and Jisu had met her own her way home again, apologizing for at least ten minutes, first because she had her bag, second because her phone had been off, and third because she hadn't been able to give it back until just then.

“Ok well I’ll see you tomorrow then! I’m taking you home every day now whether you like it or not. Annyeong!!” And she sped off down the narrow street, leaving Marissa on the sidewalk smiling to herself. She really had made a friend.

She walked up the stairs and stood outside her door for a moment, fumbling around her newly acquired bag for that elusive key.

“Still having trouble?” She looked up to see Jung Su coming towards her up the stairs. She laughed at the silly grin on his face.

“You have the worst timing you know.”

“On the contrary,” he said coming up to her and reaching around to unlock her door again, “I think my timing has been very helpful to you recently.” She held up her own key in front of his face.

“Oh, so you found it!” he replied, not even slightly embarrassed at his assumption that she needed his help again.

“It was in my friend’s car,” she explained. He nodded absently, then caught her completely off-guard, “Hey I was wondering if you wanted me to show you around Seoul this weekend maybe.” She couldn't help it, she turned beet red. Was he serious? Was this a joke? This smoking hot, older, chivalrous man wanted to...take her out? She was floored, completely speechless. The silence turned awkward and she mentally kicked herself for being such a dork.

“Uhm, sure, yeah...okay.”

“Three yes's. I’m flattered,” he grinned at her, “You’re cute when you’re nervous. I’ll pick you up Saturday at three.” And with that he bowed politely and went into his own apartment. If he’d been trying to completely disarm her, it had worked extremely well. She just kind of stood there, mouth open even, for a good five minutes. when she could walk again, she went into her apartment ready for a tube of ice cream to calm down her electric nerves.

By the time she was in pajamas, on her bed,  and surrounded by her dessert and homework all her shock was gone and she was just pure excited! It was just like a fairy tale! A handsome man had rescued her, swept her off her feet, and then promised to see her again. She felt like Cinderella! Sort of! She called Jisu. If there was ever a time she would need girl-help it was right now. She had zero idea how this kind of thing worked in Korea, however she had the feeling that Jisu would be the expert. She answered on the first ring, “Marissa! What’s up?”

“Hey Unni!”

“You sound excited, spill it!” Marissa heard laughter on the other end.

“Well, I need help with something, advice sort of.”

“Ok, sure. I have time to talk. What’s the problem?”

“Well,” Marissa took a deep breathe, “So there was this guy in my building...” but that was as far as she could get before her voice was lost in girly squealing.

“Omo!! That’s so cute!!! And you’ve only been here a short time! Tell me, tell me, tell me! What’s his name? Is he cute? How old is he?? Talk to me, girl!” Marissa laughed shyly, “I was trying to!”

“Don’t be smart with me. Talk!! What does he look like?”

“Uhm, he’s tall-ish, has light hair...”

“Marissa. I will come over there if I have to. I’m not kidding.”

“Ok, ok!! He’s freaking gorgeous! He’s really in shape, like really, really fit. And his face, and his eyes, and...and...everything about him! He is so hot it’s crazy! And he asked me out! ME! What do I do! Help me!!”

“Whoa, whoa, calm down! Breathe!” She cut in before Marissa totally lost it, “First things first, I want to meet this eye candy! Keke! But seriously, he just randomly asked you out? Dang, who does he think he is, Super Junior?”

“Super what?”

“Never mind, he did what he did. What did he say exactly?”

“He asked if I wanted to go around Seoul with him and I said yes.”

“You are sooo editing that.” Marissa cringed, “Yeah well I actually stood there dumbfounded until he started looking at me funny and then I stammered out gibberish agreeing to Saturday. Very smooth.” Jisu just laughed at her, “You’re so cute! But this is so exciting! I have a feeling he’s part foreigner if he just asked you like that. I was prepared to be angry for ditching me this Saturday but now I’m just eager to see how this turns out! What’s his name!!!”

“Uhm, Jung Su.”

“Hm,” Jisu said, “Sounds like a good guy.”

“You’re going to help me though right!”

“Of course. Now listen up...”

 

Saturday morning could not come fast enough, in fact neither did Friday afternoon for that matter. Because Jisu insisted she come over the night before to have a good old fashioned sleep over and prepare for the date ahead (a date!). Jisu insisted to her that the process to get ready would take much more than a few hours. Marissa hadn’t been aware that it even was a process…

And Jisu had come prepared to the teeth. With two huge bags of makeup, a full mani/pedi package, and even a bag of clothes although Marissa was probably half the size of her tall Unni. But when she had first parked in front of Marissa’s building she was dressed in worn jeans and long shirt, with her hair pulled back and she fixed Marissa with a look.

“First things first, this apartment is going to be presentable. He’ll see it when he comes to get you and you never know where you’ll end up at the end of your date,” she said matter of factly. Marissa turned beet-red but Jisu just laughed, “Wow I was kidding haha. It’s just because you’re from the States, and you know that stigma, you wild westerners.” She winked but Marissa sat on her bed, suddenly, for a horrible thought had just popped into her head. Of course, it had made no sense until just now. Jisu immediately picked up on her shift and sat next to her looking apologetic, “Marissa I was kidding I didn't mean to offend you.” Marissa shook her head, “But you’re right! I mean he’s too good looking, and he just asked me out of the blue, and we didn't even exchange numbers! What if he just thinks I’ll...I’ll…” she couldn't say it. Jisu looked stricken but they both knew she couldn't deny it.

“Okay,” she said, “Change of plans, the pajamas and tea come first, and you’re going to tell me exactly what he has ever said to you.” So they both wiggled into flannel pants and light tees and Jisu went to boil some water, but since Marissa’s kettle was still packed they had to use the microwave. Fifteen minutes later they were back on the bed with all the curtains drawn and Jisu’s ipod playing music in the background. Jisu was nodding as Marissa recalled the two very short conversations they had had in the hallway. The older girl was frowning thoughtfully. She started picking at her nails, “How old did you say this guy is?”

“He said he was 28! 28! And I’m only 20…”

“Okay,” Jisu sat up straight, “Here’s my diagnosis. He doesn't sound like he has any ulterior motives. First, because he didn't make any moves on you at all, even when you told him you were American his demeanor didn't change did it?” Marissa shook her head, “Right. Then second, he was too blunt. Any good korean man would have been at least a little flustered if his real intent was to do anything indecent. Trust me.”

“What if he isn’t a good Korean man??” Marissa was still nervous, but to her surprise Jisu smiled.

“The beautiful thing about dating here is that we have tons of safety nets. He already has one strike against him for just asking you out point blank, but I think we can forgive him a little since he’s a little older. But it would be totally inappropriate for him to go out alone with you on the first date, so,” she paused for a second, “it might be a good idea to ask someone else to come with you.”

“What?” Marissa was confused.

“Well, here it’s pretty typical for a guy to take out a girl and her best friend together, both so it’s safer, and well, so that he can prove how wonderful he is really. Plus both girls get spoiled so it’s fun.” She laughed and Marissa was completely bewildered.

“Are you okay, you’re looking at me like I’m an alien.”

“Are you serious??”

“You’re not in America anymore,” Jisu laughed at the expression on Marissa’s face.

“Well,” Marissa paused, “I guess it’s a good thing I made a friend to go with. I mean, you’ll come right?” Jisu beamed, “You know you’re the first person to ask me that!”

“Really?” Marissa was shocked, “But I thought you were pretty popular!” Jisu shrugged, “I am. But at the end of the day, no one brings a foreigner to impress anyone. No matter how Korean I am.”

“Wow, I’m sorry. What jerks.”

“No! Not at all! That’s not what I meant. It’s just part of the system, it’s not who I am, it’s just how it is.” Marissa nodded, with all her studying, it looked like there would still be a lot to learn.

The girls stayed up talking well past the decent hours of the night. Jisu loved talking about the States, and trying to remember if everything Marissa told her matched up with her own memories. And Jisu had the most hilarious sets of friends. Lot of her girl friends at school sounded like just the sweetest people, and her brother’s friends sounded like a crack up. Jisu had a crush on one of them, and her stories about embarrassing herself were as fun to hear as watching a tv show.

“One time I was hanging out with them all, and they were getting ready to leave and I told him ‘Don’t break any legs!’ and started laughing really loud. But they all just stared at me, because we don't use the phrase ‘Break a leg’ here and I’d even butchered it on top of that so they were all just really confused and left giving me the strangest looks. Now everytime I’m about to dance or something they all tell me not to break my legs, and I have to relive that embarrassment every time,” Jisu told her and Marissa was laughing so hard she couldn’t breathe.

 

The girl probably only got about four hours of sleep that night, because at eight o’clock the next morning Jisu was dragging Marissa out of bed and almost throwing her into the shower. It was time to get started, as Jisu proclaimed in the process.

“What time will he be here again?” she asked through the bathroom door as Marissa tried to stand up straight on her own, barely conscious.

“He said he would pick me up at three.”

“Huh, that’s weird. I thought he lived next door.”

“I don’t know,” Marissa shrugged to herself in the mirror, “Maybe he has work this morning, or maybe I don’t remember exactly what he said.”

“Or maybe he has his own car!!” she heard Jisu squeal.

“You have your own car, Unni,” Marissa pointed out.

“That’s different. Marissa he could be rich! This date is going to be fantastic!”

“Well I’m glad you’re going to have fun on my date.”

“Don’t be sarcastic with me. I’m allowed to be excited too! Because if you two end up becoming a thing than he has to be friends with me too.”

“Alright, alright,” Marissa sighed but she smiled to herself, “But if you want me to actually shower in here you’re going to have to stop talking to me.” Jisu laughed but the sound receded and Marissa began the “process” of getting ready. And Jisu was right, it really was one.

 

After so much planning, giggling, choosing, applying, and calming exercising, Jisu finally announced Marissa ready to go. Jisu, Marissa thought, was an absolute star. She timed everything perfectly and dragged things out as best she could, so that when Marissa was finally dressed and polished, it was 2:45 and she wouldn't have to do hardly any waiting around. Because when they finally plopped onto her tiny loveseat, every minute felt like an hour. It was agonizing.

“Aren’t boys supposed to be early to things like this,” Jisu complained after only a few minutes.” Marissa could barely answer for all the butterflies in her stomach, “I’m not even sure if I want to to be here already or if I wish this was already over.” Jisu squeezed her hand, “Don’t be nervous. Let me tell you reason number three why I don’t think he was out to get in your pants. You’re probably one of the prettiest girls I’ve seen in a long time, and trust me, I see gorgeous girls all the time. But you’re so refreshing and he probably couldn't help but notice. It’s a good thing he got to you first because I know quite a few boys at school are probably already coming up with ways to talk you for the very same reason.” Marissa just stared at her, “But...but… everyone at school just glares at and avoids me…”

“The word is stare, not glare. People are probably to nervous to just go up to you, plus you’re foreign so I think they don’t think they can.”

“But…”

“You’re a beautiful girl, Marissa. You deserve the attention from any boy you get and I hope you catch the best one! Okay?” But before Marissa had time to thank her or even cry a little at the glowing compliments, there was a knock on the door. Her stomach dropped to her feet. Jisu saw her face and jumped up quickly, “Come on, it’s going to be great and you look terrific!” She grabbed Marissa’s hand and pulled her up and across the floor.

“Are you ready?” Marissa shook her head, not at all. Jisu just smiled and threw the door open.

 

I know, I know. I know what you're thinking! It took you THAT long to post another chapter. And yes, yes it did. Sorry guys, I've had a rough time lately and writing was the last thing on my mind, but hopefully I'm back to stay this time and won't take quite so long to update haha. Anyways, enjoy! Don't worry, this plot IS going somewhere... (: