Prologue

The Dark Side

California, Los Angeles, 2050.

 

A short blond girl slammed the front door of her house hard and dashed into the street in frustration. She did not care it was almost midnight, the only thing she wanted at that time was a walk to calm her down. “I won’t be back tonight.” She forced herself to say the line in a best manner way she could to her parent before going out.

 

There were not many people on the street at 11 o’clock and the girl just liked it since she would not be disturbed by strangers’ look. She pulled the hood of her hoodie over her head as she felt cold when a wind suddenly past by. The girl kept walking until she reached the local park and quickly collapsed on a bench near the fountain. She inhaled deeply and slowly exhaled.

 

There were two things could help her to calm down. First was fresh air and second was her older sister. Pulling out the phone from her pocket, the girl dialed some number, after several rings, the other line accepted her phone call.

 

Someone’s POV

 

I glanced at the clock on the wall above my head, it was almost midnight and I was still in the laboratory of the university where I was teaching doing some research. To be honest, I wanted to go home so bad since I had not had enough sleep for days but this time was important time of my dedicated project. If this project of mine was successful, it would be very helpful for other scientists. Therefore, I was still here.

 

“Professor, I find something, can you help me to check it?” One of my students who was in the project team sounded from his spot. I immediately stood up and hurried to him to take a look at the computer screen, hoping we could find another positive result of the experiment. “Can you go out to take something for the team to eat? We haven’t had anything from noon.” I asked my fellow student while he was waiting for my conclusion on his work. The boy nodded and went to the convenient store.

 

As I went back to work, I heard my phone vibrated but I just ignored it because I thought that only jerks wanted to irritate me at this time. However, after several rounds of vibrations, it did not stop. So I decided to take the call and it turned out to be my younger sister.

 

“Hey girl, sorry I didn’t take the call sooner since I thought that was a jerk wanted to disturb me.” I explained for the girl in the other side.

 

“It’s fine sis, I understand that you are very famous, a young beautiful professor that every other male students want to have your number and seduce you every nights.”

 

“Yah Lee Soonkyu, how dare you say that with your sister huh?” I snapped back and receive a grin from my sister. “So, tell me what’s going on this time. I know you won’t call me this late for some chit-chat thing.”

 

“You know me well sis, can you go out for a walk with me and I’ll tell you. I’m at the park near your house.”

 

“Hmm, I’m still at the university. You wait there, I’ll come in 15.” I checked the clock again and answered her.

 

“Haven’t the project finished yet? Kay I’ll wait. Have a safe drive sis.”

 

“I will. See you later.” I hung up the phone, asked my TA to take care of the lab for a while. After that, I took off my lab coat, grabbed my purse and my longline coat then hurried outside.

 

End someone’s POV.

 

Fifteen minutes later, a figure reached the park and approached her sister after parking her car in the parking lot. She easily spotted her younger sister sitting on a bench near the fountain waiting for her. Deciding to make a surprise appearance, she quietly walked to the girl from behind.

 

“Hey, who can make my baby cry like this huh?” She sat down next to Soonkyu and used her thumbs to wipe away tears on the latter’s eyes. “Here, I bought this.” Then she handed her a take away warm coffee cup.

 

“Thanks Jessie, for the coffee. And I didn’t cry.” The latter glared at Jessica while taking a ship of coffee.

 

“Yeah yeah, you didn’t, so tell me what did those tears do on your face huh?” Jessica looked at her sister but the latter kept her gaze forward telling nothing. Jessica then grabbed Soonkyu’s shoulders and turned the girl around so they could face each other. “Look, Soonkyu. You are a girl after all. You have a right to cry out. I told you many times that don’t try to make yourself strong especially in front of me. Now tell me what happened?”

 

“They didn’t allow me sis. Told you I’d better leaving without telling them.” Soonkyu angrily said.

 

“Joining the army? I will surprise if they allow you baby. It’s too dangerous.”

 

“But I thought that you allowed me, isn’t our conversation nights before the allowance?”

 

“Silence didn’t mean allowance Soonkyu. It’s too dangerous, you have to go to the field, do missions that God knows if you could manage to comeback safely. Do you want your parents to live every single day in worry? Do you want me to live in worry too?” Jessica looked deep into Soonkyu’s eyes waiting for an answer from her sister. She knew joining the army was the biggest dream of her sister. As much as she hoped the latter could fulfill her wish, she had to think about others first, especially their parents.

 

“Sorry sis, I didn’t think about it.” After minutes of silence and thinking hard, Soonkyu finally said something. She understood that she would never win a conversation between the two since Jessica was always staying out the ugly truths that she could not defeat against.

 

“There are lots of other jobs that fit your personality. I will help you to find one. Now let’s change the topic, have you had dinner yet?” Jessica put her hand on the latter’s shoulder to assure her.

 

“Not yet.”

 

“Kay, let’s go to my house, I’ll cook you something.” Jessica grabbed her purse and stood up, Soonkyu did the same.

 

“Haven’t you said that you had a project to carry on back then sis?” Soonkyu suddenly stopped walking and asked which made the latter stopped too. “I told my assistant to end today session if I wouldn’t be back in an hour so don’t worry.” The short blond nodded in response and the two continued their way to the parking lot. Jessica let Soonkyu drive this time as she said she felt a little bit tired.

 

Always be on top of classes from secondary school, Jessica skipped three grades and managed to graduate from university sooner than others. She then became the youngest professor of Astronomy Department in UCLA (University of California, Los Angeles). After years working, the blond hair girl finally could buy her own house and moved out to live independently.

 

While Jessica was making some food for their late dinner, Soonkyu went upstairs playing with her sister’s telescope. “SIS!!!” The short blond girl yelled out loud when she saw something abnormal on the sky.

 

“What did you do this time Soonkyu?” Minute later, Jessica appeared at her bedroom door asking.

 

“Hurry sis, I’ve not seen this kind of falling star before.” Wasting no time, the astronomer dashed to the telescope and observed the star her sister mentioned.

 

“This is not a star. I don’t know what it is but I’m sure it’s not a star. Let’s go.” Jessica rapped her words then rushed outside again, didn’t wait for Soonkyu to follow her.

 

“Wait sis, go where and why?” The short blond girl panted hard securing herself inside the car by the seatbelt after chasing Jessica.

 

“To the place which that object lands, I calculated and it will not be far from here.” With that, the girl started her car’s engine and disappeared into the night, not knowing what was welcoming them when they arrive.