Xiumin The Cupid and Flying Backpacks

Kyungsoo Syndrome

Xiumin The Cupid // and // Flying Backpacks

"Is he okay?"

"Does he look okay to you? Is that red bump on his forehead not evidence enough?"

"Whoa. What got your in a bunch? Calm down, sheesh."

"I am calm! It’s just… Look at him. He’s so big and tall, he could easily break our bones. What if he wakes up and yells at us?"

"You worry too much. We just have to wait until he wakes up and then we’ll apologize, okay?"

Kris’ face twitches at the sound of voices, and everything feels hazy. As his vision starts to become clear, he’s looking up at four faces. One of them looks scared, as well as a well-defined jawline. The one to his left has spikey black hair and a worried look on his face. The one to his right has hamster-like cheeks, but a look of indifference crosses his face. The last one he notices is a male with coffee brown hair, and a genuine smile graced upon his lips.

Attempting to sit up, he realizes that he has an ice pack on his head and there’s some major pain coursing through his forehead. “Ugh, . It feels like someone ran me over."

Jawline makes a squeak, and immediately goes to hide behind Hamster. Spikey rolls his eyes, before he jerks a thumb towards Jawline. “That’s Jongdae. He accidentally flung his bookbag flying in your direction just as you were walking by. He’s very very sorry, isn’t he?"

Kris just stares blankly at Jongdae, and the other slowly nods his head. Spikey continues on with the introductions, pointing to himself. “I’m Joonmyeon. I guess you could say I’m the leader of these three." He points a finger at Hamster. “He’s Minseok. Don’t make fun of his cheeks, he’ll kick your …"

Mental note to self, Kris, don’t comment on his cheeks

"And last, but not least—", Joonmyeon nudges his chin in the direction of the last person, the one with the pretty hair and the pretty smile. "—That’s Kyungsoo. He’s the one who gave you the ice pack."

Joonmyeon holds a hand out and grins. “Welcome to our High School, friend."

Kris still remembers his first day of school here. How Jongdae knocked him unconscious, and how Joonmyeon welcomed him with open arms and let him join their group of four, now a group of five.

Over the years, Kris and Jongdae’s relationship had gotten better. Jongdae was still a timid kid, but he wasn’t timid around Kris anymore. In fact, he was a little bit boisterous even. Minseok was pretty much indifferent to Kris joining their little group, but their relationship upped a level when Minseok started giving Kris his pudding cup at lunch because Minseok believed "Chocolate pudding is gross as hell." Joonmyeon and he were already on a good start, so their relationship never really changed.

That just left Kyungsoo. Kris wasn’t sure how the other felt for him, he just knows that somewhere along the way, Kris fell for the shorter, gentle male. Whenever they were together, Kyungsoo would strike up a conversation, while Kris would answer in short sentences. 

He might have seemed disinterested in the conversations he held with Kyungsoo, but they weren’t boring at all. Kris just didn’t know how to contribute anything as good, and perhaps he liked listening to Kyungsoo talk. Of course, he’d never tell anybody that, but he swears Minseok knows a thing or two about his secret crush. Kris wouldn’t know; Minseok’s too indifferent to decipher.

At lunch, Kris is shoveling pudding into his mouth, as he’s also trying to study for his Chemistry test at the end of the week. The others from their group hadn’t arrived, yet, but Kris was too busy to wait for them, anyways. 

He sees Minseok plopping down in the seat next to him, and he just sits and stares at Kris, before reaching over unenthusiastically for a handful of fries. 

"So I heard you like Kyungsoo", begins his hamster-like friend, and Kris almost chokes on the pudding that he happens to swallow down safely just in time.

He stares at Minseok with slightly wide eyes, and shakes his head. Minseok coolly lifts his gaze, meeting the other’s wide eyes with his own indifferent ones. Kris sees a smirk forming on the other’s lips, and it makes him gulp, swallowing the fear back down.

"Sure, sure. — Say what you want. I won’t believe you anyways." Minseok tosses a fry into the air and catches it into his mouth. Offhandedly, he points out that anybody with a brain could see that Kris harboured a crush on Kyungsoo.

"Then why don’t Jongdae or Joonmyeon know?" A snort resounds from Minseok, and he shrugs his shoulders carelessly. “I said anybody with a brain. Jongdae’s a follower. And Joonmyeon isn’t too meticulous about reading into details."

Kris nods slowly, not really sure how he wants to take this. Not even sure if he wants to say anything more on the topic, but Minseok just chuckles and slams his palm repeatedly against the table in a fit of laughter.

"God! The look on your face is fricken priceless, Kris. Seriously. Wow. Stay like that, I need to take a picture." Minseok wasn’t kidding when he really was going to take a picture. Too bad Kris is still too stunned to change his expression.

Minseok finally stops laughing long enough to cradle his chin over laced fingers, and stares at Kris with a deep expression. 

"I can help you, Kris. I can help you confess to Kyungsoo. — In the school’s newspaper, the column about relationships. I’m Xiumin the Cupid. I’ve helped more than fifty relationships get together. Granted… some don’t last. But what happens after they get together is not my problem. Thankfully, I like you and Kyungsoo, so you’d do well."

Kris nearly chokes on his chocolate pudding again, quickly downing the rest of his water, before frowning. 

Minseok merely gives him a knowing look, and Kris eventually succumbs to the other’s really good persuasive skills.

Kris leans against the wall, carrying a predominant worried look on his face. Minseok appears and throws him the peace sign, before Kris quickly grabs him by the shoulders and shakes him.

"I can’t breathe, Minseok! I seriously can’t! I feel like I’m gonna puke." Kris half-whispers, half-shouts at a dizzy Minseok.

The other rips Kris’ hands away from him and gives him a good smack in the face. The taller of the two gives a kicked puppy dog look and slightly whimpers at the pain.

"You’re such a , Wu Yifan. — Look, did you put the love letter in his locker or not?" At the older’s question, Kris nods his head slowly.

"And what did it say?" Minseok an eyebrow.

"Something along the lines of you make my heart beat fast every day, you make my palms get sweaty and clammy, and how I turn into a bumbling idiot." Kris says, only to turn away in embarrassment.

"You are a lovesick fool." Minseok pokes Kris in the forehead and sighs, shrugging his shoulders. “Nothing we can do, I suppose."

Kris and Minseok turn around to find Kyungsoo already at his locker. They wait patiently for him to open it, but when he does, he just appears to place a notebook inside and close it shut, leaving empty-handed.

Minseok furrows his eyebrows, turning to Kris with a glare. “You said you put it in his locker? What the hell was that, then?"

The pair turn back to look at the lockers when they notice a male wearing glasses opening his locker, as an envelop falls out. The said male bends over to pick it up, opening it and reading the letter.

The male lets out a small squeak, and Minseok facepalms drastically. Kris was a complete idiot. The older of the two glares and walks off, leaving Kris to lament over the fact his love letter failed.

Kris groans to himself, as he slams his face against the lunch table. His friends look at him weirdly, before continuing on with his lunch. Minseok silent pats the other on the back, quietly snickering at the other’s pain.

"This is all your fault, Minseok… I shouldn’t have listened to you at all. You ." Kris points out, sighing loudly.

"What’d he do this time?" Jongdae pipes in.

"This idiot — tried to help me confess to Kyungsoo, but it didn’t work at all. He said he could do it, but he didn’t." Kris cries out, burying his face in his arms to be sad again.

"Minseok’s still older than you, Kris. Be respectful, even if he is totally useless." Joonmyeon reprimands him.

"Gee, thanks." Minseok rolls his eyes, and pinches Kris’ side. 

"Oh, ah, hey wa—" begins Minseok, only to have Jongdae and Joonmyeon push him aside and heatedly stare up at Kris.

"You like Kyungsoo?! Dude, since when! I can’t believe this!" Jongdae cries out, sobbing into his hands.

"That’s so cute…. You’re really tall and he’s really short, so it’d be a perfect match, wouldn’t it? I approve, Kris!" Joonmyeon gives him a wink and thumbs up, but Kris doesn’t seem too happy about the approval at all.

Minseok pushes the annoying duo away, and clears his throat. “Speaking of which, where is Kyungsoo?" 

"He said he had some work to do at the library, so he won’t be here for lunch." Kris answered, finishing the rest of his lunch, reaching over to take Minseok’s pudding.

"He — told you?" The oldest of the four asks, seemingly surprised. Kris simply nods as a reaction.

When he looks back up, Joonmyeon, Minseok, and Jongdae are all giving him inquisitive glances, so he just gulps, refusing to meet their stares.

"Kyungsoo never tells us if he’s going to miss lunch, but you say he told you that, huh?" Minseok his chin, curiously peering at the other.

"Oooooh, lucky, lucky~" Jongdae claps his hands together in joy, while Joonmyeon nods his head, agreeing as well. Just the trio were going to tease Kris some more, a male donning glasses walks over to Kris with a box of chocolates, blushing profusely.

"H—hi Kris. I’m Lee Jinki… and I got your love confession the other day. It was sweet of you and all, but I’m not really into the dating scene right now. I hope you’ll accept these chocolates as an apology on my behalf." The male student, Jinki, bows his head and walks off.

"Rejection hurts, doesn’t it? It’s almost like getting rejected twice, yanno?" Minseok pats Kris’ shoulder, taking the box of chocolates from his hands and hands it to Joonmyeon and Jongdae.

"…. What." Is the only thing Kris can manage to say because he’s completely stunned at this turn of events.

The next day, Kris finds solace in the library. Without the prodding of the idiotic duo, Joonmyeon and Jongdae, and the unhelpful help of Minseok, he needed this quiet to clear his head. 

"Those idiots…" Says Kris as he fishes his bag for a pencil.

"That’s not a nice thing to say." A voice suddenly says which startles Kris, a hand flinging to clutch at his chest where his heart should be.

He looks at the intruder and relaxes a bit when he realizes that it’s just Kyungsoo. It doesn’t mean his heartbeat has completely calmed down, though. 

"I’m guessing you’re talking about the Kim Trio." Kyungsoo giggles quietly because they’re in a library, but thankfully they’re in the far back where nobody usually goes.

Kris just nods his head and stares blankly at Kyungsoo. He’s about to ask what the other was doing here, when Kyungsoo spoke up instead.

"You seem down. Wanna talk about it?" He asks in that gentle, soft voice of his that makes Kris realize that he likes Kyungsoo a lot more than he thinks.

Kris stays silent, but he’s thankful that Kyungsoo is so understanding to wait patiently for him to talk. He clears his throat a little bit, and nods slowly.

"Remember the day I came to this school? And Jongdae knocked me out? You were the one who gave me that ice pack to help with the bump on my head." Kris smiles fondly at the memory, and he can see the smile on Kyungsoo’s face, too.

"Ever since then, I’ve been hanging out with the four of you and you guys are really great friends. Despite those idiots being… idiots?" Kris laughs short, before he finally has the courage to look directly into Kyungsoo’s eyes. They were a deep brown, shining amicably, but in them was a sense of curiosity and longing.

"We—I… really like you, Kyungsoo. I can’t tell you how or when it happened. It just did, and over the years that we’ve been friends, I can’t help but like you even more and more as the days pass." 

"I really treasure the friendship I have with you. — With Joonmyeon, Jongdae, and even Minseok. But with you, it’s different. I just… I’m sorry. You must be creeped out, right? I’m sorry." Kris bows his head, thinking about reaching over to Kyungsoo’s folded hands atop of the table, but he decides against it.

To his surprise, Kyungsoo takes the giant leap and grabs Kris’ larger hand. He smiles at the other, and if Kris looked intently at the other, he could see a faint blush rising up on the other’s cheeks.

"I like you too, Kris. Why do you think I’d always try and talk to you as much as I could? I just thought you didn’t like me or something, since you never seemed to give me full answers. Then I just realized that that was your personality. Silly me." Kyungsoo’s laughter was like the sound of heavenly bells chiming in his ears, and Kris couldn’t help but fall a little deeper.

"What—"

"The—"

"." 

Jongdae, Joonmyeon, and Minseok stand with their mouths agape, as they watch Kris and Kyungsoo walk by. Kyungsoo was smiling and laughing, as he was telling the other something and Kris was his usual self, nodding and intently listening to the shorter male. But what had been strange was Kyungsoo latching himself to Kris’ arm.

"Does that mean they got together?" Jongdae asks after the initial shock leaves him.

"They’re actually really cute." Joonmyeon laughs to himself.

"Another successful couple by yours truly, Xiumin the Cupid~" Minseok dons his sunglasses, and holds up a peace sign.

"Since they’re dating now, doesn’t that mean they’ll spend less time with us, though?" Jongdae questions, thoroughly upset at the revelation.

"You’re right… — We’re such losers! Why are we single?!" Joonmyeon cries out, falling to the ground in a pitiful state.

"Did you say you guys single?" Minseok grins, and throws his arms around the pitiful duo’s shoulders. “You’ve come to the right place, boys. Let Xiumin the Cupid help you out, okay? For a fee, of course."

 


Ohohoho. Krisoo oneshot~

;)

Everyday_Jongdae