Who Are You? (2013)

Review of dramas and movies

Review of Who Are You? (2013)

About

Genre - Fantasy, romance, horror, melodrama, mystery, thriller, action

Airing Time - July 2013 - September 2013

Running Time - 60 minutes the episode

Episodes - 16

Rating - 15

Storyline

Detective Yang Shi-ohn wakes up from a six-year coma. She gets reassigned to the lost and found department, where she discovers that she's gained the supernatural ability to see ghosts connected to the objects left behind there. Along with her new partner, rookie cop Cha Gun-woo who's a hotheaded skeptic, Shi-ohn uses the information to solve cold cases. Gun-woo only believes in tangible things he can see, hear and touch, but he gradually comes to trust Shi-ohn, and together, the bickering partners help the spirits fulfill their dying wishes and unfinished business before passing on to the afterlife.

One of the ghosts watching over Shi-ohn is her ex-boyfriend Lee Hyung-joon, another detective who died that night six years ago when Shi-ohn received the serious head injury that nearly killed her and left her comatose. They were working on a big case together, but Shi-ohn has no memory of what happened that fateful night.

Cast

Main characters

So Yi-hyun as Yang Shi-ohn

Ok Taecyeon as Cha Gun-woo

Kim Jae-wook as Lee Hyung-joon

Supporting characters

Kim Chang-wan as Choi Moon-shik

Park Young-ji as Moon Heung-joo

Kim Ye-won as Jang Hee-bin

Noh Young-hak as Im Sung-chan

Kim Ki-chun as Jung Tae-soo

Choi Woo-shik

Kim Kyung-beom

Kim Dong-hee

Guest appearances

Moon Ga-young as Dan Oh-reum (ep 1-2)

Jo Seung-hyun as Bae Kyung-min (ep 1-2)

Jang Hyun-sung as Park Hyung-jin, psychiatrist (ep 1-2)

Kim Seung-soo as Park Eung-joon, prosecutor (ep 3-4, 13)

My opinion

Besides romance/comdies I love ghost stories. This kind of remind me of some, but it's not really a ghost story itself. It happens that some ghosts appears, but only for Yang Shi-ohn to see. Maybe some people will find it scary, but in my opinion I don't think it's scary at all. 

It has that classic couple in it. The serious female character and the funny/cute male character. The "funny/cute" male lead happens to be Ok Taecyeon from 2PM and I just think that the role suits his personality really well. 

In this drama, you can really feel the romance just by watching it. Yang Shi-ohn who doesn't want to forget her ex-boyfriend Lee Hyung-joon, who's dead, but yet falls in love with the guy she's working together with, Cha Gun-woo. 

A lot of sweet and sad scenes appear in this one. All the cute scenes between Yang Shi-ohn and Cha Gun-woo and all the sad scenes between Yang Shi-ohn and Lee Hyung-joon. 

My favorite scene is the scene where the first kiss happens. In front of Yang Shi-ohn's house where Cha Gun-woo calls her out because she forgot her cellphone in his car. He a little and then, by accident, she gets pulled close to Cha Gun-woo and they both look at each other. The kiss happens when Cha Gun-woo, after turning around to walk back to his car, turns to grab Yang Shi-ohn and kiss her. 

The saddest scene is near the end, when Yang Shi-ohn found out her ex-boyfriend Lee Hyung-joon was still alive and in a coma, she goes to the hospital he is at and stays by his side. Lee Hyung-joon's ghost then appears again and tells Yang Shi-ohn to move on, because he's dead. When he's done talking, he then dies for real and Yang Shi-ohn cries her heart out. Even though I'm glad that Yang Shi-ohn and Cha Gun-woo is getting together in the end, I think it's sad the way her ex-boyfriend fought to stay alive in a coma, those 6 years Yang Shi-ohn was in a coma herself. 

 

My rating for this drama is:

View Full Size Image

 

Check out the trailer (I couldn't find the real trailer, so I picked a fan made I thought fit really well)

 

Thanks for reading my revies of Who Are You? (2013) :D If you have any drama or movie from asia you can recommend, then feel free to tell and I will add it to my list :)