Beginnings

The Company

 

Natalia entered the building slowly, looking all around her at the sight that greeted her. The entrance hall was quite grand and it somehow managed to perfectly combine antiques with modern pieces and décor. She immediately loved the place. She looked at her watch, realizing she had to hurry if she was to be at dance practice on time. Only problem was, she had no idea where the studio was.

            ‘Reception desk, reception desk… Don’t tell me there is no flipping reception desk in this place?!’ She thought to herself, a little bit of annoyance seeping in to her thoughts. Finally she saw a tiny little sign that read Reception->. Thankfully the receptionist was an adorable old lady that walked Natalia straight to the dance studio. The receptionist also showed Natalia the changing rooms, where she thanked the woman, found an empty compartment and put her stuff inside. The stuff she wouldn’t need at least.

            She got back to the studio just before the teacher walked in.

            “Hello everyone, my name is Gustav Stano-” Natalia thought he looked familiar, but decided to brush it off as imagination. Although she couldn’t help but feel a slight chill creep down her spine.  “-and I bid you welcome to your first dance class of the year. Now, let’s get started.”

            When it was finally time for the lunch hour Natalia was more tired than she had been in quite a while. She followed the rest of the dancers to the cafeteria where she got her food and slumped down in the nearest empty chair she could find, by an empty table of course. She ate slowly, focusing on her food more than her surroundings.

            “-when you fell down from the sky of course.” Natalia heard someone say as she put the last bite of food in . She looked up only to see a tallish dark haired Asian man smile at a giggling girl. They were both dancers she presumed. The man was fiddling with the sleeve of the wide off-the-shoulder t-shirt the girl was wearing while she stared at her toes, blushing profusely with a small smile on her lips.

            “So, whatd’ya say, want to grab a bite with me after today’s classes are over?” He said somewhat seductively. He wasn’t very good at being subtle and his pick-up lines . Besides, who used them nowadays anyway? Natalia scoffed and laughed in her seat, stood up and walked out of the cafeteria. The man seemed to have noticed her laugh, for as she walked past him he frowned at her, seemingly offended. The girl noticed nothing of course, she was too busy blushing and nodding.

            The afternoon classes passed by in a blur. The last one, however, didn’t. The final class of the day was Contact, were the dancers had to work in pairs. Natalia discovered, much to her dismay, that Mr. Flirt was in the same class as her. Thankfully she wasn’t paired up with him, but Angela Park, a nice Korean-American girl that had grown up in America but moved to Korea to pursue her dream of becoming an idol, taking an unexpected turn and ending up as a dancer for the SCDC. Not that she minded, she loved to dance. Natalia didn’t feel the need for any friends, nor did she want them, but Angela quickly warmed up to her. By the end of the class they were good friends. As they made their way out of the studio Natalia overheard Mr. Flirt hit on yet another girl, one that reacted much the same way that the other one had in the cafeteria earlier. She rolled her eyes and tsk-ed.

            “Who does that guy think he is? Walking around and hitting on everything he sees…” Natalia sighed.

            “Who?” Angela asked, curious.

            “That dark haired guy talking to the blushing girl.”

            “Oh, that guy, that’s Donghae Lee, or Lee Donghae as he would be called here in Korea. He’s got quite the reputation for being a notorious player. I don’t think I know of many girls that haven’t either fallen for his flirting or been disappointed in the fact that they didn’t or he didn’t hit on them. But, of course, there aren’t very many girls that fit in to the last category.”

            “Do you? Fit in to one of those categories I mean.” Natalia asked her.

            “Me? Ha, no, never. He’s my cousin. Although we aren’t that related, you see, my stepdad is the brother of Donghae’s father’s current wife. It’s kind of complicated, but we aren’t blood relatives. We barely even know each other. But our parents insist on us calling each other cousin so..” Angela shrugged.

            “So, is your stepdad Donghae’s mother’s brother?” Natalia asked with a furrowed brow.

            “No, my aunt is his father’s 3rd wife. So my stepdad and his stepmom are siblings.”

            “Why didn’t you just say that earlier?” Natalia laughed.

            “Oh yeah, why didn’t I say it like that?” Angela added, laughing along with Natalia.

The two girls were too busy to notice a man in the shadows, watching them.

            “Of course I’m sure that’s her, I should know her face better than yours!” the man hissed in to the phone he held in his hand.

            “Yes, yes, I’ll keep an eye on her. No she will not get away this time, just make sure to plan everything down to a T. You can’t afford to fail again.”  The man scowled at the reply he received from the other end of his phone call before the phone clicked to signal the end of the call and he turned and left down the hall.