Seo Joo Hyun, MD

Dr. Seo Joo Hyun

I'm not going to lie...I really thought I would be able to write this within a decent amount of time and well too...yeah...I must have rewritten this short thing 4-5 times...each time just seemed to get worse and worse...they were all over the place..so I sat down and just let the pen do the writing...and this came out! I think this is better than the other versions so I'm putting this up....Sorry for the crappy writing...T_T....this heat wave combined with work has drained me of energy and all creative thinking....I'm debating making this a two-shot...I know what I would write in the second chapter....thoughts? anyone? 

Thank you for the upvote and all you loverly subscribers even though nothing was put up yet!!!! I <3333333333 you all!!!!! 

I AM excitedly planning for the rest of my other story that has been on hiatus for awhile now...I has lots of ideas!! And they're all written down, so before the mental collapse happened, kekeke 

Enough of my rambling, please read :)! 


“So he will be discharged today. Be sure to discuss with him his medication regimen again, in case.” Yifan turned back to the computer screen and entered several orders into the system.

 

“Dr. Wu?”

 

“Mm?” Yifan switched his gaze to the woman standing next to his chair. “Oh Dr. Seo, what can I do for you?

 

“Could you look over this diagnosis and let me know your thoughts?” Handing over a piece of paper, she watched him as he read through the information.

 

“You should actually consult with Dr. Lee in neuro-oncology. He would be best suited to handle this patient.”

 

“Okay, thank you.” Leaving the nursing station, she stood at the counter and pretended to examine a chart while watching him out of the corner of her eye. She looked down as he stood up from the desk and came to stand by her.

 

“Working hard?”

 

“Ah...yes, I wanted to familiarize myself with the patient’s medical history.”

 

“That’s good, but remember that you have to meet the patient with an open mind and not be biased just because of an already proposed diagnosis. Being biased could mean a patient’s life.”

 

“Yes, thank you for the advice.”

 

Smiling at her, he called out to a passing oncologist and walked away. “Thank you....Yifan...” she whispered.

 

One of the nurses came over and lightly nudged her. “Dr. Seo! You’re soo lucky! Dr. Wu gives you advice!”

 

“Nurse Choi, he was being a helpful colleague.”

 

“He never gives advice to other fellows and there are two oncology fellows. You’re not even in his department.”

 

“Yah Choi Min Young....”

 

“Dr. Seo Joo Hyun, I may be a nurse to your doctor but you’re still my friend. So....really no news about you and Dr. Wu?”

 

Giving her friend a glare, Joo Hyun walked away and headed toward the cafeteria. Paying for a cup of tea, she walked outside in the courtyard to clear her mind. Dr. Wu was one of the more popular doctors in the hospital, being both kind and an extremely competent physician. His exceedingly good looks also made him very popular amongst the female population, both staff and patients alike.

 

His extensive medical training in America and his willingness to learn made him a favorite of the oncology chairman, who also happened to be Joo Hyun’s father. She remembered when Dr. Wu had first come to the hospital. All her appa could talk about for days was the new oncologist and how Samsung extremely lucky to have a doctor of his caliber come onto their staff. It took his mind off the fact that his only daughter was pursuing a fellowship in emergency medicine rather than his own chosen field.

 

Joo Hyun was an only child and grew up to be a filial daughter, making both of her parents proud. Graduating at the top of her class in high school, college and medical school, she gave her appa his first disappointment when she announced her intentions of practicing emergency medicine. All her life she had done everything by the book, so this decision shocked him. In high school she turned down Jung Yonghwa, a popular sunbae who had a passionate love for music, only matched by his devotion to Seo Joo Hyun. Considered an average student, he didn’t care much for his grades but was intrigued by Joo Hyun who was younger than him by two years. Her moral sense of right and wrong prompted his interest in her and he broke the female student population’s heart by asking Joo Hyun out. She refused, knowing her parents would dislike his intentions of pursuing a music career. Despite the rejection he continued to follow her around and stayed devoted to her, not seeing other female students.

 

She pushed him away entirely when she started college and met Jung Jinwoon, a second year in the law department. Meeting at a church gathering, they dated steadily through school. Jinwoon graduated and the two maintained a strong relationship despite the separation as he went to Busan for work. Finished with school a year later, Joo Hyun realized her future plans differed from Jinwoon’s and in discussing their future together, the two gradually parted ways. Her appa had no opinion either way on the event though her omma was slightly disappointed that her daughter would spend more time working than out dating.

 

Immediately entering medical school after graduating from college, Joo Hyun focused on her studies. She excelled in school, graduating top of her class from Yonsei University School of Medicine then going through a residency at Korea University Medical Center. Because she grew up with an oncologist for a father, she considered the field but realized her interests lay in emergency medicine. Graduating as chief resident, she applied for a fellowship at Samsung to further her training.

 

Her time was split between home and the hospital, rarely going out. If she did, it was usually with a few of the nurses and only if they all happened to be leaving work at the same time.

 

Considering Nurse Kim’s words again, she thought about the tall Chinese oncologist. She would be lying if she never considered pursuing a romantic relationship with him. Them being in two different departments meant they wouldn’t be breaking any rules if they did date. It seemed as though he split his time between home and work - he would be there first thing in the morning and was usually one of the last ones to leave at night.

 

“Omma would be happy that I’m dating....and appa would love having him in the family....” She thought it through some more and the positives outweighed the minuses and she made up her mind to try for a relationship with him. Throwing out her cup she entered back into the chaos of the emergency room.

 

For the next few weeks Joo Hyun would direct all her oncology-related questions to Dr. Wu, even referring her patients specifically to him. That came to an end when her appa asked her to write out referrals to the other oncologists. “Dr. Wu is seeing double the number of patients that the other oncologists are seeing. He isn’t Superman, consider the other doctors as well Joo Hyun, they’re all well-trained in their specialities.”

 

She attempted to set up lunch dates with him, but their profession meant lunch was never at a set time. So she took to sitting in the cafeteria during her free time, hoping to catch him. After a week she found out he usually ate in his office and she was falling behind in her paperwork. She tried to ask him out for dinner dates but he ended up going to a conference out of town and then started covering night shifts for a few weeks.

 

Grabbing a few minutes to herself she plopped down in an empty chair in the waiting room. “It’s hard pursuing someone....” she murmured to herself.

 

“Who are you pursuing?”

 

“Yah! Choi Min Young!”

 

“What?!”

 

“Never mind....”

 

“Soo....who are you pursuing?”

 

“Not telling you...” Getting up she left the ward and headed to the library. As she entered the quiet room her pager went off. “Sorry!” she whispered as the librarian glared at her.

 

“Hi this is Dr. Seo, someone paged me?”

 

“Yes, a patient was rushed in and the residents are in a lecture, could you come and do an evaluation?”

 

“I’ll be right there Nurse Choi.”

 

Rushing back down to the emergency room she came to a stop by the bed where Nurse Choi was standing. “What’s going on?”

 

“The patient is Jung Sooyeon according to her ID. We’ve already notified her next of kin, her dongsaeng. She passed out at work and they tried waking her up but couldn’t revive her.”

 

“Temperature?”

 

“Taking now....I’m also setting up a heart monitor in case.”

 

“Okay,” Joo Hyun gestured for Nurse Choi to continue working as she read through the preliminary paperwork the EMTs left behind.

 

“Dr. Seo we’ve set up the monitors.”

 

“Mm...heart rate?” she continued reading but kept an ear out for Nurse Choi’s reply.

 

“Heart rate is...Dr. Wu!”