My Promise

Promise

 

The fans applauded and cheered as Yunho bowed on the stage, signalling the end of the performance. As he looked up, Yunho smiled. There were millions of fans in the stadium and almost all were holding signboards and posters that were cheering him on and recognizing him for his efforts. He was about to turn his gaze away from the audience when suddenly he caught a movement at the back of his eye. Yunho's eyes widened.  His manager was jumping up and down with his hands waving frantically in the air, trying to catch his attention. Zooming onto the board that his manager held in his hands, Yunho felt his heart growing cold as he read the message on it. Without any hesitation, he cued his dancers onstage and left them to start their solo performances as he rushed backstage, barely holding in the tears.


"What do you mean Jaejoongie is in the hospital now?" he bellowed, meeting his manager head on as he let out pants of breath. "What the is going on?"


Yunho's manager held his hands up as he gently pushed Yunho away, giving him some room to breathe. Gently leading Yunho to the couch in the waiting room, Yunho's manager let out a sigh. Facing Yunho's worried and anxious eyes, he took the phone in his hands and passed it to Yunho wordlessly, knowing better than to interfere.


"What's going on?"


Yunho's manager cringed as Yunho barked into the phone, his facial muscles taut as he gripped the arms of the couch. He did not know what was more terrifying; relaying the news to Yunho or watching his reaction as he tried to take in the fact that Jaejoong was involved in a fatal car accident. Shaking his head, he decided on neither. The tears pooled in his eyes as he looked on helplessly, Yunho's shouts turning into desperate pleas.


"What do you mean by that? Can't you save him for 's sake? Aren't you doctors? What do you even.."


Yunho's voice eventually died out as he slumped on the sofa, all fight died out of him. 


"He was supposed to be here today. He was supposed to be watching my concert." he muttered to himself, "He's supposed to be fine."


The last bit of whisper broke Yunho's manager's heart as he gently pulled Yunho into a hug, ignoring the phone that Yunho still clutched deeply in his hands, his face now a pale sheen of white. Everything was supposed to be alright. Everything was supposed to be proceeding very smoothly. They had planned this performance for ages. They had practiced for hundred of hours. Nothing was supposed to go wrong, least of all this. 


"Jaejoong." Yunho whispered, the despair evident in his tone, "My Jaejoongie."


Yunho's manager merely held on tighter as Yunho began reciting his beloved's name back and forth, unable to believe that such a tragedy has befallen him. Time stopped in that instant as Yunho's whispers echoed off the four walls of the room, drowning the pair in sadness and despair. Unable to hold back the tears in his eyes, his manager cried along with Yunho's chants, both praying for the person they knew to be alive and well again.


The silence was so heavy both jostled up in shock when the door suddenly opened, revealing the exhausted dancers who just finished their performances, their faces beaming with pride. Upon observing the scene, all immediately knew something was amiss as their smiles turned into frowns, all clambering over the pair to give them a hug.


"What's wrong?" Changmin, the youngest of the three dancers. questioned as he noticed the tear streaks on Yunho's manager's face, "What happened?"


The question was faced with silence as neither of the pair uttered a single word. To speak of it was to admit that the event had actually occurred and they both were not ready for that. Finally, after a few moments of tense silence, Yunho skid the phone over to the trio, letting them read for themselves the truth.


The phone fell to the ground as Junsu's hands trembled in shock, the tears already streaming down his face. The grip on the pair tightened as Changmin held onto Yunho's shoulders while Junsu and Yoochun embraced him from behind. No one said a word as they all closed their eyes, taking the moment to grieve for Jaejoong, to remember him for who he was; the light of their lives. Minutes passed away in silence. Yunho could hear his own heartbeat thundering loudly in his ears. Suddenly, without warning, the screen on his phone suddenly lit, illuminating it.


"Resuscitation efforts failed. Victim Kim Jaejoong declared dead at 19.00. Closest family member: None. Closest kin: Jung Yunho (victim's boyfriend). Our deepest condolences at your loss. We would like to.."


Changmin crushed the phone beneath his feet without the slightest pause, snapping it into a million pieces. The noise seemed to snap Yunho out of his stupor as he got up abruptly from his seat, snatching his manager's phone away from him with determination written all over his face. All four occupants watched silently as Yunho drummed his fingers, the phone wedged between his ear and his shoulder.


"Hello, is this XXX hospital? I have a favor to ask of you."


Turning away from the four, Yunho paced along the room, his mouth set in a grim line. The rest held their breaths. What exactly was Yunho's favor? With tongues barely held back, all four's eyes were fixed on Yunho as they watched him walked back and forth.


"So you mean you can do it for me?" Yunho nodded, a smile tugged on his lips, "Yes thank you thank you. I'm aware this is a special exception so thank you so much for doing this for me."


Hanging up the phone with his face beaming, Yunho turned to them and smiled.


"Guys, get ready, we're going for our performance onstage."


~*~


The concert lights dimmed as the curtains pulled back, revealing Yunho in a loose shirt and jeans, sitting on the piano bench with his hands positioned over the keys. Smiling to his fans who immediately began cheering and screaming at the sight of him, Yunho bowed, taking the mike in his hands.


"I thank you all for coming here," he spoke, his eyes moistening with tears, "and now we have reached the finale of this concert."


"It was supposed to be a special day. It was supposed to be a special event, but I guess some things just don't go according to plan huh?"


Watching from the sidelines, Junsu clutched Yoochun's hands as the three dancers looked to the front row, their gaze following Yunho's as all landed on the vacant seat next to Yunho's manager's.
 


"The person whom I'm supposed to sing to in this last concert is not here and that's something that I cannot help about." Yunho smiled bitterly, the tears falling freely from his face.
 


"Still, I promised this song to him and I know he has been waiting to hear this song since forever. So, to my other half, Kim Jaejoong, I dedicate this song to you."


Perhaps it was because of the melancholic atmosphere in the air, perhaps it was because of the sight of their idol's tears that were rarely seen, in any case, the stadium fell into utter silence as the cheering and clapping died down leaving the fans watching on as they swayed their light sticks from side to side.


"A blink of the eye 
with no words uttered
Your silent presence
has completed my soul."
 


His singing amplified through the speakers installed in the stadium as Yunho held back the tears, his fingers trembling he hit the piano keys before him.


"A smile on your lips
with the touch of your hands
Your love has melted
the walls around my heart."


Junsu was bawling by now, along with the tears that streamed down Yoochun's face. All three dancers were close friends with Yunho and they all knew who Yunho wrote the song for and the purpose of the song that was written. For Yunho to sing it onstage now marked the truth that was now stemmed in their hearts: Jaejoong was gone.


Oblivious to his friends' reaction, Yunho continued on, his tears clogging up his voice.


"I love you
My love for you has exceeded the skies
 I love you
The most important one of my life
 I love you
The only soul who will complete mine
 I love you."


The fans began tearing as they watched Yunho broke down, his voice struggling to get through the mike placed before him. The sound of the piano keys flowed into each other as the music changed, flowing from happiness to unbearable tragedy.
 


"A frown on your face
and the sadness in your eyes
My heart has shattered
into a million pieces.
 

 

The tears on your face 
as the walls echo our fights
The guilt that has 
suffocated me."


"I hate me
I should never have made you cry
I hate me
The laughter I knew that gradually died
I hate me
I should not have entered your life
I hate me.


Stranded alone with
darkness surrounding me
Your love has swooped me up
and sent me flying

 

 
To my other half 
I want to bind for eternity
This fool here has to ask:
Will you live for me?"


The piano melody ended as Yunho's voice died down, the whole stadium still in awe of the song they just heard. Taking in a deep breath, Yunho smiled at his reflection on the piano. He had completed the song. He had fulfilled his promise to Jaejoong. Turning to Changmin, Junsu and Yoochun, he gave a huge wave, as though he was a child seeking acknowledgement from his parents. The three waved back immediately, the smiles they had on their faces equivalent to the tears streaming down them.


Watching Yunho thanking the fans, the three elapsed into silence as they wiped off their tears, recollecting themselves before they had to face the world out there. Silence descended upon them as they gazed at their friend fondly, amazed that he had managed to hold himself together till now. It was only after the tears had dried on Changmin's face that he noticed the song was different from the other times Yunho had performed for them in the studio he worked in. Furrowing his eyebrows, Changmin's mind raced as he struggled to locate the discrepancy in the performance by his hyung earlier. Then, he blinked. It was so simple he did not know how he could not have seen it sooner.


"He changed the lyrics." Changmin proclaimed at his sudden realisation, causing both Junsu and Yoochun to look at him in shock and breaking the silence among the trio. 


"What do you mean?" Junsu and Yoochun uttered in sync, a old habit that they mastered since they were 3 years old, "Wasn't that the song Yunho hyung was telling us that he was writing for Jaejoong hyung?"


"Yes," Changmin nodded, his eyes moistening with tears at that thought, "But don't you remember? The last line isn't supposed to be: Will you live for me? Didn't you all noticed that Yunho hyung actually changed the lyrics of the song this time around?"
 


"I don't get it," Junsu replied, utterly confused, "What's the original lyrics supposed to be then?"


Changmin remained silent for a few moments before he whispered brokenly, "It was supposed to be: Will you marry me? This song.. It was supposed to be a proposal to Jaejoong hyung. The proposal that Yunho hyung had promised to him back when they were 5 year old kids."
 


Taking Changmin into their embrace, all three of them cried as Yunho stood afar from them, his smile still present on his face as the spotlight shone on him.


Concurrently, in the hospital, doctors stood astonished as they watched their patient's heartbeat dropped to a gradual zero after the song Yunho sang finished. Nurses were crying as the rest stood there flabbergasted, the sudden silence making them uncomfortable. They had watched their patient's heart rate climbed higher and higher as the song progressed, changing from a zero beats per minute to a 120 beats per minute which was the normal heart rate for a human being and that had stunned them momentarily as it could only mean one thing.


The patient they had been trying to revive a few moments before was actually alive throughout the whole duration of the song.


"Ne, Jaejoongie, I kept my promise didn't I?"


~*~


"Yah Shim Changmin, what have you done to my hair?" Yunho screamed as he caught sight of himself in the mirror, his eyes bulging at the sight of his black hair turned blond.


Changmin laughed, "Come on hyung, you said you wanted to be special for Junsu hyung's and Yoochun hyung's wedding right? Here I granted your wish! With your blond hair, you'll definitely be more than outstanding! Besides, we're going to be late if we don't make a move soon. They can't possibly start without the best mans present right?"


Yunho cursed under his breath. Glaring at the maknae who was smirking at him, he grabbed his wallet and car keys and slammed the door behind him.


"No dinner for you tonight." he bellowed as he scrambled into his car, getting into the front seat before Changmin does, "Now sit tight and watch me drive."


Changmin clutched his seat belt tight as he watched Yunho's car sped over 120kmph, his heart beating faster and faster in anxiety. That was why he never let Yunho drive! Yunho was an extremely reckless driver. Cursing Yunho a million times under his breath, Changmin's nagging did not stop even when the pair reached the venue without a single harm.


"You could have gotten us killed!" Changmin screamed into Yunho's ears, "Don't you ever think that your driving speed is way too fast and accidents might happen?"



Yunho laughed shakily in response and instantly, Changmin felt bad about bringing up the word 'accident' into their conversation. It had been three years since Jaejoong's death and Yunho has not had a lover since then. It was not due to a lack of suitors, nor a lack of fortune. Yunho was just disbelievingly loyal to Jaejoong and even more so in death. He would not look at a single man twice, having already decided that his heart was taken by one and one only. Changmin had to admit: Jaejoong was the only one for Yunho and there could be no way around it. They were made for each other.


"So what are you going to sing for them today?" Changmin asked the retired singer as they walked into the ballroom, changing the subject that landed them into an awkward atmosphere.


Yunho smiled.

 


"My other half." he uttered, naming the one and only song that he had ever written for Jaejoong. 

 
Changmin grinned. The song would be more than perfect.
 

"The only soul who will complete mine, I love you."
 

The End.

 

Author's Note: *crying* Why did I make Jae die omg! :( *kills self* I HATE THIS. :( *runs away before insane mob of fangirls murder me*