Stay

Stay

I walked up the hill to my school as usual in the morning. Nothing is new for me every day. Everything seems to be the same every morning. I looked at the students around me, they were running, chatting, laughing, having a very splendid time together with their friends, and i sighed. Friends? I don't need friends. I prefer my time alone, listening to music.

 

As i reached my classroom, i slide the door open, and everyone looked at me. I went to my seat and ignored their stares. 'Whats up with that transfer student anyway.' 'Why she likes to distance herself from others.' 'She is the one that outcast-ed herself, its not even our fault.' I had enough listening to people who talked about me almost every time when I enter the class. I wear my headphones and turned up the volume of my mp3 player. Just about time, the classroom door opened.

 

That is when the teacher comes in and checks the attendance of the class. "Lee Chaelin, Gu Hara, Kim Kyoungjae, Bang Cheolyong, Im Jin-Ah, Jeong Jinwoon, Son Dongwoon"  Kim Kibum" My heart stopped as teacher called his name. Kim Kibum. My first crush when I first transferred here. I took a glance at him, he responded to teacher's call. He is the leader of our class. He is known as the best student as he excels in many extracurricular activities and even in his studies. Plus, his parents even sponsored the school. He is beyond perfection.

 

I have the high interest to be friends with him but I know, people like him will not even have the urge to know me better. If others were disgusted by me, so would he. Stop dreaming Jung Nicole. I thought to myself as i sighed. "Jung Nicole" "Jung Nicole" "Jung Nicole". "What!" I shouted. Everyone looked at me. Uh-oh. I forgot i am still in the class, teacher is calling my name for the attendance. "Nicole, see me after class, will you." big time!

 

-----

 

"Songsaenim (teacher)" I went to the teacher's room as i was told to see him after class. "Ah, Nicole, you are here?" "What do you want to talk about?" "I got a call from your mother last night. " I was speechless. "Is... that all?" I respond. "Nicole, she was asking about your condition in school. So I told her you skipped many classes, your attendance for the school is bad. You didn't even do well in the exams. So, she was asking if-" "If that is all, I will take my leave. Thank you teacher." I cut his words. I turned and leave the teacher's room. "Nicole, don't forget to call your mother when you are free!" I heard the teacher yelled before I completely get out from the teacher's room.

 

I walk at a fast pace. I don't know where am I going. I do not want to cry, but the tears just fall down my cheeks. I went to the washroom to wash my face and went back to class to take my bag. To think that my face will shows no sign that i was crying after i washed my face, but when i recalled back what the teacher had said about my mother, the tears just start to fall again. I don't have the desire to continue any more classes. I completely had no mood. So, i decided to skip classes, again.

 

After i leave the classroom, i bumped into someone. "Ah, sorry. I was looking at somewhere else." That voice. I looked down, to hide my tears. "Jung Nicole," he called my name. "Jung Nicole, are you okay?" I wipe my tears and i looked at him, staring. I wanted to escape from him, so i move. He blocked my way. "Move" I said. "Tell me whats wrong. You were crying, weren't you?" I managed to hold back my tears from falling again.

 

"I said, move" i stared at his eyes. If the other students are afraid to even sit next to me, how can i expect for him to be friends with a person like me. If i really wanted to be friends with him, i shouldn't be doing this. I felt so stupid. I tried to escape again, but he managed to grab my wrist. I tried hard to let go of his hand but failed. So, i try harder, but again, i failed. "Let go!" "I won't until you tell me what happened!" "Its none of your business!" "Why are you being like this! I'm trying to help!"

 

Help? I smirked. Its the same thing what my mother's friends said to me. They said they were trying to help me, instead they make it like nothing happened. Why do people like to give hope even if they know they won't make it? Do people take other's people feeling lightly? Kibum stared at my eyes as i wonders in my thoughts. "Let. Go." i hissed. He let go my hand as he saw one of my tears starts to fall. I rushed back home. Kibum stood there dumbfounded.

 

----

 

"Nicole, don't forget to call your mother when you are free!" I stared at the ceiling after recalling back what the teacher had said to me in the teacher's room. I am on my bed, it is freaking 2 o'clock in the morning but i couldn't sleep. Cant things get any worse than this? I sighed and forced myself to sleep.

 

----

 

Its recess time and i am at my usual spot. Under the tree beside the swimming pool. I like it here. Most of the students spent their time at the court or the cafe or library during recess time. So, the swimming pool is quiet. I enjoyed being alone, listening to the birds chirping, feeling the wind  sweeping along my skin and in my hair, forgetting all of my problems. Its refreshing.

 

"Hey Nicole" I heard someone called my name and i turned my head towards the calling. It's Jinwoon. I quickly pack my things and decided to leave. "Woah woah, where you're going." I stopped and looked at him. He was sitting at my spot, looking at me and smiled. "Come, here, sit." He patted the spot beside him and asked me to sit. Surprisingly, i followed his order.

 

As i sit, he stretched his arm. "Haa, this is refreshing. No wonder you like it here. Its quiet" I didn't give him any response. He looked at me. "So, your name is Jung Nicole right. We have been classmates for 5 months now, didn't you notice?" Still, no response. "Did you know my name? I'm Jung Jinwo-" "I know." "Woah! You talked!" I rolled my eyes. "I'm leaving." I said and take my leave.

 

---

 

The bell rang and i pack my things to leave. I have no plan for today. Teachers did not give any homework for today, so i decided to try the new cheesecake the students were talking about at the newly opened cafe. When i was about to leave Kibum called my name and handed his hand towards me. "Here, its your hair clip. You dropped it yesterday." I looked at my hair clip, took it and leave.

 

---

 

As i stepped into the cafe, "Welcome" the staff greets me. I smiled, went to the counter and ordered a cheesecake. Then i take my sit at the corner of the shop. "Nicole!" Someone shouts my name and i realized its Jinwoon. He is everywhere. I sighed as he comes near to my table. "Hey Nicole, its a coincidence for you to be here too!" I ignored him. "I am here with my friends." Friends? Oh no. There should be Kibum too.

 

"Hey guys! Over here!" he called his friends. I cursed in my breath as i saw Kibum and Dongwoon coming towards us. "Mind if we join you Nicole?" Jinwoon asked me. "YES" i hissed. "Oh, come on, its a pity for a pretty lady like you to eat alone." he winked. Dongwoon and Kibum sits next to each other and the fact that Kibum was sitting across me, i can’t control myself. I feel like not eating anymore. I feel shy and at the same time i feel annoyed as i want to enjoy my cheesecake without any disturbance.

 

"So.... what brings you here?" Jinwoon came back from the counter with a plate of cheesecake and noticed my cheesecake in front of me. "Oh, you are here to try the new cheesecake too! How sweet." I ignored him. Kibum was looking at us as Jinwoon starts to be informal with me. "Since when you two gets so close?" Dongwoon asked, raising one of his thick eyebrows. "Since recess! We are soul-mates aren't we Nicole." Jinwoon wrapped his arms around my shoulders. I shrugged him off. I packed my things and leave. Leaving the cheesecake untouched.

 

----

 

New day. I sighed as i went to my sit and turned up the volume of my mp3 player. As i was searching for a song to be played, Kibum came to me and left a paper bag on my table. I looked at him as he leaves towards his table and i looked inside the bag. 'Its your yesterday's cheesecake. I asked the shop to pack it for you.' i smiled, without realizing it.

 

"Jung Nicole~" Jinwoon entered the class. I looked at him, can't believe he even dared to sit beside me. Everyone in the class was also looking at him. "What? From now on, we are deskmate~" he said, smiling, looking at me. I gaped. What?! There is no way for him to stick with me for the whole year. Before i had the chance to protest, the teacher came into the class.

 

I rolled my eyes. I looked in front and looked at Kibum's back. He didn't even turn around to look at me and Jinwoon just now. I sighed. Then my eyes caught Hara who was looking at us, she frequently turn her head to the back to look at Jinwoon and when she saw that i was looking at her, she gave me a death stare. Right, i almost forgot, that just love Jinwoon so much. I sighed again. Cant my life gets any more complicated than this?

 

----

 

The school ended, and Jinwoon asked me "Nicole, want to go and watch movie?" "No, I'm busy." I quickly rid myself from him. "Where are you going?" He followed me. "Don't you dare to take another step and follow me." I hissed. "Uh.. okay." He stepped back.

 

I went to the school's swimming pool area to relax my mind and especially to get rid of that Jinwoon. Sometimes i wonder, didn't he ever gets tired of talking? I leaned my back up against the tree and shuts my eyes, feeling the cool breeze blowing on my hands, head, and feet. This is very relaxing. I can really get used to this.

 

Then my phone suddenly vibrates, and i looked at the screen. Mom. I stared at it, arguing with myself whether to answer the call or just ignore it. The call ended, and it starts to vibrate again. I picked up the call but did not say anything. "Hello? Nicole? Are you there my dear?" Still, i'm being silent. I heard a sigh on the other end of the line.

 

"Nicole Jung, until when are you going to protest towards your mom?" When she said those words, my tears start to fall rapidly down my cheeks. It's not because I'm pathetic or weak, but after i recalled back everything, i just can't forgive what she had done all this time. "Come back home okay? I'm worried about you, I don't want anything bad happened to my daughter." "Daughter?! Now only you claim that i am your daughter? After what you had done?! Do you not realized that you were the one that made dad suicide himself! Do you?! Of course not. You did not, that is why you didn't even feel guilty when you were two timing him! Plus, stop calling me, or my school anymore to pretend that you ever cared about me! And also, stop calling secretary Joon to remind me to even call you, i don't have the slightest bit of interest to even to talk or see you again, mom." I shout into the phone, letting go all of my anger and ended the call.

 

I threw my phone on the concrete floor, and it breaks into pieces. I cried my eyes out. I sobbed so hard and letting my body feels the longing of crying this hard. I remember the last time i cried so hard like this is during my dad's funeral day. Mom didn't even visited dad at that time. After a while, i stop sobbing and start wiping my tears.

 

When i looked to the front, i was so shocked to find out that Kibum was sitting on the spot where i threw my phone, looking at me. I gasped. Many questions hit my head. What is he doing there? How long has he been staying there? Did he see me crying? How long has he been staring...? He then smiled at me, stands, walk towards me and sits besides me. He leans his back on the tree and look up, playing with his hair. "Are you okay?" He asked. As usual, i didn't response. I quickly grabbed my things and leave. He managed to grab my wrist and block my way before i get too far.

 

"Move" I said. "Move, you bastard!" I shouted at him, instead of moving, he tightened his grip on my wrist.. "Let go of my hand" I tried so hard to release from his grip, but failed. "Let go or i'll scream". "Go on, scream". "What?". "You wanna scream, go on, just scream. Plus, people will hear you, we are in the middle of the school anyway. The students are around here, some are even at the court. Let all of these people hear your voice, for once." I twitched my eyebrows, looked at him in the eyes and suddenly i start to shed tears. Why is he always around when i'm crying? It really does hurt my pride. He sighed, pulled my arm and hugged me. I was weeping, and he calmed me down. His touch is warm. "For once, can you open your heart so that people can listen to it?" He said.

 

----

 

New day. At 2am.

"You are awake miss?" I startled as Secretary Joon appears from the dining room. "Oh Joon, did i wake you up?" "I heard sounds came from the kitchen, i quickly came here thought that it would be a burglar." I smiled. "Don't you need to worry. Just continue your sleep." "What are you doing here in the middle of the night, miss?" "I am baking cookies for my friend." After listening to what i said, he smiled "It's nice to hear that you got yourself a friend, miss." I blushed, "Yeah, he is such a nice person." He then left and walk to his room.

 

----

 

I came early to school just to put the packet of cookie on Kibum's table, as an appreciation on what he did to me yesterday. Then i went back to my seat and listens to my mp3 player. As the clock approaching 7:30am, people starts to fill the class. I paused my mp3 when Kibum enters the class. When he enters, people start to . 'Yah Kim Kibum, you got yourself a girlfriend huh?' 'You never told me you had one!' 'Who  gave you these cookies?' He looked at the cookies. He pout his mouth, trying to figure out the sender of the cookie. Cute. I giggled, making sure no one heard it.

 

Kibum then turns back around. "Jin-Ah did you give this to me?" He asked, looking at her who is sitting in front of me but in a different column. Jin-Ah starts to blush, "N-no why should i give you cookies!" she stuttered answering his question. The classroom starts to be noisy. It is full with "Ooohh." and "Ahh". The boys start to tease Kibum, the girls start to gossip, some of them went to Jin-Ah and asked her with so many questions. 'New gossip! Jin-Ah confessed to Kibum yesterday!' 'I heard they are hitting on each other.' 'Ooohh, they looked so sweet together!'

 

I blinked. This is not what i expect to happen.

 

----

 

The bell rang, indicating the end of the school period for the day. We greeted the teacher, and she leaves the classroom. Since I sit at the back of the class, I observed the others, they start to pack their bag, getting ready to leave. Do you want to go back together?’ ‘Hey let's get something to eat!’ ‘Ah, so many Homeworks.’ The classroom starts to be noisy and people start to full the school's hallway.

 

Then i looked at Kibum. "Kibum, let’s go to lunch." His friends invited him. "You all go first. I have to meet teacher." "Eyy, you're not going to a date with Jin-Ah aren't you?" "No. I have appointment with the teacher, seriously." "Okay, see you tomorrow." They then left. Kibum starts to pack his things and walks towards me. "Nicole, want to grab some lunch?" He smiled at me. Tch, appointment with the teacher? Liar.  I stared at him and rolled my eyes.

 

"No." I respond and take my bag to leave. He managed to grab my wrist "Nicole," I was about to shrug him off, then suddenly someone grab Kibum's arm that was holding me. "Since she doesn't want to eat with you, may I?" Jinwoon smile at Kibum sinuously. They stared at each other’s eyes. Kibum doesn't want to let go of my hand, but Jinwoon insist so. "Come on Nicole. Let’s go on a date! What do you want to eat sweetheart?" Jinwoon wrapped his arm around my shoulders as he led the way to he-knows-where. Kibum then slowly let go of my hand.

 

----

 

Jinwoon brings me to a café nearby the school. "It's yours, right?" Jinwoon asked me as he takes a spoonful of the spaghetti bolognese into his mouth. "What was mine?" I asked. "The cookies. It's you who gave it to Kibum, right?" I looked at him, "H-how did you know?" "I saw you put it on his desk." "You did?" "I came early to school this morning. I saw you came early too, i get excited, so I followed you from the back. But then before i came into the class, i saw you were putting the cookies on his table, so.. yeah." Then i looked at my spaghetti that was barely touched. I played it with my fork, "Don't tell him, please." I mumbled. Jinwoon looked at me and said "Hey chin up! He's not worth it anyway." he smirked.

 

After we are done eating, Jinwoon walked me home. "Thanks." I said. He smiled, staring at me. "What?" I asked. "You know, you don't talk much, before." "Tch, how about now?" "Cute." He said smiling. I blushed. "Do you realized you are so pretty i can die for?" He holds my chin up to look at me in the eyes. I blinked many times. He lowered his face towards me and kiss me on the lips. "Goodbye Nicole, take care." He then leaves. I was dumbfounded. Was it a kiss or just a peck?

 

-----

 

New day.

"Yah Jung Nicole!" Ah those es again. I keep on walking, ignoring them. "Yah Jung Nicole! Did you not hear us calling you?!" Just go away can't you "Hey miss popular, i heard you reject to go out for a lunch with Kim Kibum, but now you are kissing our prince Jeong Jinwoon?!" I smirked and faced them, "I kissed Jinwoon? Get the facts right es." I turned around and was about to leave, and they pulled my hair. "Yah! Let go!" "So you were saying that our Jinwoon kissed you? You were saying that he actually likes you?" "Tch, ask him yourself, he even said i am so pretty he can die for, now let go of my hair!!" "You dare to spea-"

 

Suddenly someone grabbed Hara's hand that was pulling my hair "What are you doing?! This can be considered as bullying do you know that?" "Kim Kibum" "Get back to class, the recess is almost over" She leaves, followed by her friends. Leaving us in an awkward situation. I fix my hair and my skirt. In my mind, i was thinking, should i thank him or should i just leave. I don't know. We stood there awkwardly, he looked at me, i looked somewhere else. "Are you... okay?" He broke the silence, looking concerned towards me. Instead of giving him a response, i take my bag and leave.

 

"You are skipping school again aren't you?" He turned around to look at me who is leaving. I ignored him, i keep on walking. "Jung Nicole!" He called me. "Nicole, answer me." "Jung Yong Joo!" I stopped. I stopped walking as he called my real name. How did he know? The last time i heard people called my real name is during the day my father died. Even mom doesn't like to call me Yong Joo. She preferred to call me Nicole.

 

Kibum walks closer to me and holds my bag. He clears his throat. "Come, lets get back to class." He offers his hand and smile. I just stand there and look at him. You shouldn't be doing this thing to me, do you know that?. I thought to myself. When i made no response, he lets out a sigh and take my hand. He kept a tight grip on me as he led the way to the class.

 

When we reached the classroom, he slides the door open. Luckily, the teacher haven't came yet. Everyone looked at us, we were still holding hands. Seeing people staring at us, i quickly escaped from his grip, grab my bag from his hand and went inside the classroom. Kibum, who were still standing at the door, looked at me as i went to my seat. People start to surround him and asked him questions. 'Kibum! Why are you two holding hands?' 'Did you guys go on a date?' 'I thought you are with Jin-Ah'. I breathed hard and looked down as i reached my seat. Jinwoon looked at me concernedly and pat on my shoulder "Nicole, what happened?" he asked. I turn to look at him and smile, "Nothing."

 

-----

 

School ended and Jinwoon offers to walk me home but i refused. When i said to him that i need to clear my mind, he understands, "Alright, take care love." He bends down to kiss me on the cheek and leave with Dongwoon. That is the second time he kissed me. I sighed as i take my mp3 out from my bag. I leave the classroom and went to the swimming pool area.

 

As i reached there, i saw Kibum sitting on my favorite spot, and he saw me. I rolled my eyes. He ran to me and called my name "Nicole!" but i ignored his call. He stepped in front of me and said "We need to talk." I stared at him. "Move, I'm leaving." He grabbed my hand "Why are you behaving like this towards me?" "Behave like what?" I looked at him, he still has his eyes on me. "Like this! You never behave like this towards him! You never ignored him, you smiled to him, you talked to him, you laughed with him, when he holds your hand, when he kissed you, you never get mad! But when it comes to me, you would do all sorts of things just to get away from me...." He stops. "Why..?" he said as he holds back for a while to catch his breath and look at me. I stared at him, being silent, assuming this 'him' he was talking about is Jinwoon.

 

"Was it because what i said? Did i hurt you in some way?" yet again, i stay silent. He sighed. 'It's because i just love you so much, you bastard.' is what i was about to answer him, but suddenly, "Nicole!" Jinwoon called me as he runs towards us. Kibum is still holding my hand. "What are you two doing here?" Jinwoon asked. "You sure are everywhere where Nicole is." Kibum answered him as he slowly let go of my hand. "I was searching for her, Kim Kibum. If you will excuse us, we are leaving." Jinwoon replied as he takes my other hand. My shoulder brushed Kibum's, I looked at him, and my heart ached a lot.

 

----

 

"Sorry to just leave you like that. If only i know that Kibum is around, i'll never let you to stay back just now." Jinwoon smiled at me. "Was it because what i said? Did i hurt you in some way?" I recalled back to Kibum's words. Why are you being like this Kibum? I sighed. "Nicole, did you hear what i just said?" Jinwoon asked me. "Huh? Wha- sorry, i was lost in my thoughts." He then smiled looking at me "Is that how you looked like when you lost in your thoughts?" He laughed "Cute," he said.

 

Then, i stopped. "Jinwoon," He hummed when i said his name. "I know your feelings towards me. I know." i stop. "...but, i can't return your feelings. Sorry." I said more like a whisper. I took a peek to look at him, he looked stunned but then he smiled. He hugged me, tightly. "Why do you have to answer me so quickly? I wasn't prepared." He laughed. He continues to walk me home. Even though he laughs all the way to my house, deep down, i know, i have hurt him. Sorry. I look at his back as he leaves.

 

-----

10pm.

I was reading my book then suddenly i heard a knock on the door. "Come in, Joon." I said. "Miss, there is someone downstairs that would like to see you outside of the house. But.." "But?" "He was bleeding all over his face. I resent him from seeing you miss, but he insist to," "You didn't ask his name?" "No, he looks scary, so.." I sighed. Who could it be? It won't be Jinwoon. Joon knows Jinwoon as he always sent me back home. Could it be.. I gasped as i ran downstairs.

 

When i opened the main door, i saw Kibum was leaning his back on the wall of my house, wrapping his hand round his stomach, breathing hard. I gasped. "My god Kibum, what happened to you?!" He was bleeding all over his face, "Did you just got into a fight? Joon!!" I called on Secretary Joon as i dropped on to my knees and wipe my shirt over his face, wiping away all the blood. "Yes miss." "Call the ambula-." "Dont." Kibum cut my words as he held my hand. "You are bleeding damn it!" "I came here to talk to you!" My heart stopped as he says that, the look in his eyes, i can really feel the sincerity.

 

Joon helped me as we bring Kibum upstairs to my parent's bedroom. I called the doctor to come over to my house and he checked on Kibum. He left after he has finished treating him. I went inside the bedroom and sit on the chair beside the bed. "Thank you." he said, straightening his back to sit, leaning against the headboard of the bed. Awkward atmosphere fill us again. "Jinwoon met me just now." he broke the awkward silence. I looked at him, i was stunned. "He told me you reject him when he didn't even ask you yet." He chuckles. "But then we got into a fight. He was blaming me for it." he stop. "He even said that, you already like me from the start, even before he starts hitting on you." he continued, looking down. I was speechless, I really don’t know what to say.

 

He gets out from the blanket and sits in front of me. "Why didn't you tell me about the cookies?" I didn't answer him. He stares at me and sighed. "Yet again, you stay silent." "I was afraid." i answered quickly. "I was afraid because you get so excited when you asked Jin-Ah about the cookies." He smiled and cupped my cheeks. "I turned around and asked Jin-Ah at that time so that I can look at you," he said under his breath. "I wanted to look at your face, I was hoping it is from you. I know it wasn't Jin-Ah's on the first place. She was bad at cooking." I let out a laugh after hearing what he said. "But you never came to assure the cookies were yours. You just didn't care, and it hurts me a lot." He said, looking at me in the eyes. "That is why i came to you to ask you to lunch together, but you turn me down, Nicole. Taking all those things in a day, it was definitely a rough day for me." he stop. "After knowing that Jinwoon kissed you on the same day, i explode. I threw all my things away. Did you know that you messed me up, Jung Yong Joo?" He called my name. I love when he called my real name. I looked down, feeling shy to look at him.

 

"Do you know how hard it is to get close to you? Do you know that i get so pissed off the fact that you replied to whatever he said, but you didn't when it comes to me? Do you know how patient i am back then?" He continued. He tipped my chin up to make me look at him in the eyes "But i never give up. I want to show you that i am better than him. Do you realize that?" He asked as my eyes start to tear up."God, stop talking. You are bleeding, damn it." I said shakily, "But what you see is only him, and i hate that." he continued as he wipes my tears away. "Just tell me what I must do for you to open your heart to me, Nicole." he whispered. My tears start to fall rapidly down my cheeks.

 

"Stay, just be with me" I whispered, my eyes stinging all over again. "I need you." I continued. Kibum's fingertips glided softly down my cheek. He looked straight, deep into my eyes, his thumb rubs against my cheeks. "You were with me, the whole time. There wasn't a second that passed when you weren't on my mind. You own me, Nicole. Wherever I am, whatever I'm doing, I belong to you and only you." he said as he got closer to me, i closed my eyes and i felt his soft lips touched mine. He wrapped his hands around my waist. My arms went up and wrap them around his neck. He deepened the kiss as he pulled me onto the bed. I land on top of him.

 

"Kim Kibum!" I broke the kiss. A smile creeps on his face as i said his name for the first time. "What?" "What were you thinking! Plus, you are injured." I get off him and lie beside him and Kibum rolled on top of me. "Yah Kibum."  He ignored me as leans on me and kissed me passionately. After a while, he stopped. "Jung Nicole, will you be my girlfriend." I smiled and i nod. I wrapped my arms around his neck and pulled his face closer. "I love you Nicole." He said between the kisses. "I love you too Kibum." I gave him a peck on the lips.

 

_______________________

Thank you for reading! I hope you like it. Please, ignore my mistakes especially the grammar. :) Please upvote the story if you like it ! <3 Saranghamnida :*