always.

gone (but not forgotten)
 
 
 
They meet under the blazing sun of summer at the fragile age of ten, playing in the tall sunflower fields by the village. There is something different about Jiyeon that Jaeseop just cannot quite pinpoint. Whatever it may be, he likes it, and the way he looks at her with shy liking gradually grows into something more, something dangerous. She’s courageous, daring, and adventurous – everything he isn’t and everything he wants to be. The same goes for her  being with Jaeseop makes her feel a sense of security  of comfort, warmth, of stability.
 
After all, opposites attract.
 
 
The end of summer approaches sooner than expected, but not before they promise to meet again.
 
 
 
_____
 
 
 
Several summers pass and they find themselves in high school. So little, yet so much has changed. Jaeseop’s voice makes a dramatic switch from a pitchy soprano to a deep baritone. Jiyeon now flaunts womanly curves previously inexistent. Yet, their friendship remains the pure, unadulterated friendship from years before.
 
 
_____
 
 
 
Problems arise when Jiyeon begins to develop feelings for Jaeseop. She realizes it under the blazing sun of summer, the very same circumstances they had first met each other under; the day before school starts and the day before they begin their last year of high school. The sudden realization hits her when he turns to her while they are sitting on the steps of her house and informs her of his plans to leave for the army soon. Tears form at the corners of her eyes, effectively stinging them, and her heart aches at the mere thought of him leaving. Jaeseop lets her lay her head on his shoulder as he repeatedly her hair soothingly and tells her that everything is going to be alright, that he will be back before she knows it, that it’s okay.
 
 
(but it isn’t.)
 
 
_____
 
 
 
Months later, the day of Jaeseop’s departure arrives. His friends and family, including Jiyeon, are there to shower him with hugs and kisses for the last time in two years. It’s now or never. She doesn't know if she might see him again, and with this thought in mind, Jiyeon takes a deep breath, and before he leaves, confesses.
 
“Jaeseop,” she hesitates for a second as she struggles to think of the right words to say, "I think I kind of love you."
 
His eyes widen in surprise, then his expression turns bitter.
 
“I love you, too.” Then, he turns to leave. Jiyeon tells herself that she should be feeling happy, but instead her heart shatters into a million pieces as she watches his back fading into the horizon.
 
 
_____
 
 
 
The war rips and tears him the same way his departure did to her heart. News of his death travels to his family, who conveys the message to Jiyeon. After hearing of his death, a rivulet of tears stream down her face. Her world slowly crumbles to pieces, as the strong pillars that held it up are no longer. 
 
 
Jiyeon attends his funeral a week later, but strangely, sheds no tears.
 
 
_____
 
 
 
If time could heal the pain, only eons later did the hole in her heart slowly close up. However, it left still left a gap – a gap only small enough for a man named Jaeseop’s existence to fill. She marries a man by the name of Jaebum, and moves with him to the city, settling down and finding a job as a writer.
 
 
_____
 
 
 
Jaeseop is gone, but not forgotten, for
 
Jiyeon bears a son, and
 
she names him Jaeseop.
 
 
 
The birth of this child,
 
 
this very infant,
 
 
is small enough to
 
 
fill the crack in her slowly healing 
 
 
heart.
 
 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


a/n: happy birthday sapphy!

i know i'm never going to be as amazing and talented of a writer as
you are but i hoped you still somewhat liked it ;-;
 
you are really my role model in both writing and life and i'm so glad to
have met you. you're a beautiful person and honestly, i wouldn't be
surprised if you became a writer or poet or something haha

btw, i still need to frame your writing. that's on my to-do list xD (+this
isn't it, i still have more stuff to give you ok)

oh and i wrote this like ages ago for this story and i've been dying
waiting for your birthday to post it LOL