Epilogue

Unlikely Fairytale

 

#

 

“General Son, there’s someone looking for you!” One of the soldiers called.

“I told you before. Don’t call me that anymore, just Naeun will do,” She smiled.

The soldier scratched his head and smiled sheepishly, “It takes time to get used to.”

“Of course,” She said as she walked towards the office, with the soldier following closely beside her, “Who’s looking for me, by the way?”

“It’s regarding a trespass case some time ago. Someone by the name of Kim Myungsoo.”

Naeun’s eyes widened. “That can’t be.”

“He claims that he did no such thing and is requesting for the offence to be removed from his records.”

Naeun quickened her pace towards the office. Kim Myungsoo? How can it be?

When she reached the office, she only saw the person’s back.

“Mr. Kim Myungsoo?” She said cautiously, her heart pounding rapidly.

Just as he was turning around, she caught a familiar scar on the back of his hand. When she was finally facing him, she wasn’t very shocked to see that he looked like the exact replica of the person who left months ago.

“General Son? I’m here regarding the trespass offence. I’m pretty sure I didn’t commit –”

Suddenly, she leaned forward and locked him in an embrace. The boy jerked up and gulped, but he didn’t struggle to break free. He simply allowed her to carry on with it, even if he wasn’t entirely sure what’s happening.

Naeun smiled widely. “I found you.”

Soo. Kim Myungsoo. She should have guessed.

 

#

 

Myungsoo came to in a hospital ward. “Whoa!” He exclaimed once he awoke.

“I’m back,” He said softly and then louder, “I’m back!”

Sungyeol, who was sitting on a chair by the side, stirred awake.

“He woke up! He woke up!” He screamed hysterically, and Myungsoo would bet he woke everyone else in the ward up.

Myungsoo's parents, who were also sitting with their backs facing the windows, rubbed their eyes and stretched as they woke up.

“Come on, I’m not dead okay?” Myungsoo said.

“Dude, you were as good as dead for two whole weeks!” Sungyeol cried.

“I was?”

“Yeah, you jerk, you can’t even cross a traffic light properly and got everyone worried like this! You owe us a treat I tell you.”

Myungsoo smiled, “Sure. I had a really weird dream though…”

He pushed himself upright and something fell onto the ground, making a bright tinkling sound.

Sungyeol picked it up and passed it to him. “Is this yours? Where did you get such an ancient ring?”

Myungsoo took the ring over and saw a glimmer of light in the ruby.

It wasn’t a dream.

 

He was released from hospital in the late evening, once the doctor checked that everything was fine, and announced that his recovery was another miracle that occurred in the hospital.

The next day, Myungsoo and Sungyeol crossed the town park on their way to lunch, which Myungsoo would treat. (Truthfully, Sungyeol just wanted to go out with his best friend because he’d kind of missed him while he was in deep deep sleep.)

Among the many people at the park, Myungsoo spotted a familiar-looking girl, sitting under the tree with a paintbrush in hand.

“It’s her,” He said to himself, looking intently into the distance. Sungyeol looked in the same direction and spotted her, as well.

“Stop being so obsessed with girls having long, wavy hair.”

“It’s the girl in the camera. I found her,” He said, ignoring Sungyeol’s complaint.

“Really?” Sungyeol piped up, “Wow, this time you actually share some fate with the girl. Congratulations, bro!”

 

She was concentrating really hard on her painting when something suddenly blocked the sunlight.

Alarmed by the sudden fall of darkness, she looked up. Her eyes widened in shock as she gasped.

“Look, you scared her,” Sungyeol said.

Naeun looked back and forth – at her drawing of the boy she saw in her dreams, and at Myungsoo.

“It can’t be…” She murmured.

Myungsoo put out a hand in front of her and introduced himself, “I’m Myungsoo. Kim Myungsoo.”

Naeun hesitated for a while before shaking his hand.

“Naeun. Son Naeun,” She said softly.

“Naeun,” He repeated with a smile, Nice name. It fits you.