A Game of Poker

A Game of Poker

 

Kyuhyun glared at Yunho ferociously, his eyes of ire boring straight into Yunho's soul. Yunho shuffled his feet, his hands fidgeting at the pockets of his jeans. He did not know who was more intimidating: Changmin or Kyuhyun. There was one thing he was sure though; the maknae of Super Junior's wrath was legendary.

 

"Is there a problem?" he questioned, his firm tone masking the fear within him. He tried to keep it hidden, but the truth was Yunho was dead terrified of Kyuhyun. When Changmin first told him that he was going out with Kyuhyun, Yunho had stared at him skeptically, sizing Kyuhyun up and determining him incapable of protecting Changmin. Not amused by Yunho's antics, Kyuhyun had simply stepped on his foot and promptly walked away, dragging Changmin away from him. Yunho was furious then but even he could not deny the rare joy of delight on Changmin's face at the sight of him being bullied. Thus, he simply let it go. Still, that was a few years back and Kyuhyun had not spoken to him since. They only did polite greetings with each other when they met in social gatherings or parties. Yunho frowned in confusion. Why then was Kyuhyun taking the initiative to speak with him now? It made no utter sense.

 

"Say Yunho hyung," Kyuhyun smiled menacingly, instantly instilling fear into the man before him, "Have you heard that Changmin has been crying recently?"

 

Yunho shuddered. His name sounded like poison on Kyuhyun's lips and that was not a pleasant thought indeed. Nodding his head once, Yunho acknowledged the question with a response.

 

"Do you then have no idea what is the reason for Changmin's tears?" Kyuhyun continued, startling Yunho who glanced at him in shock. He had thought that Changmin's tears was due to the stress accumulated within him and the turbulence of his relationship with Kyuhyun. Yet, with the way Kyuhyun was speaking, he seemed to imply that it was his fault the person they both loved was suffering, that Yunho was the reason for Changmin's tears. Yunho shook his head. Just what was Kyuhyun trying to get at?

 

"You have no idea." Kyuhyun proclaimed in disbelief after catching sight of the confusion that was  so explicitly displayed on Yunho's face, "You really have no idea. No wonder Changmin always said his hyung was an idiot!"

 

Yunho's eyebrows twitched. His patience was about to reach its tether. First, Kyuhyun interrupts his dance practice by slamming the music player shut and forcefully dragging him out of the practice room. Next, Kyuhyun proceeds to blame him for Changmin's tears even though he had no reasoning behind it. Now, he even had the audacity to insult his intelligence! Yunho glared at Kyuhyun with arms crossed, his annoyance evident to any human who dared enter the room.

 

"Just what do you want?"

 

Yunho resumed glaring at Kyuhyun, eliciting a grin from the maknae before him whose pearl white teeth gleamed in the fluorescent light above them.

 

"Let's have a challenge, hyung." Kyuhyun proposed, the feral grin still plastered on his face.

 

Yunho stared back at him coldly.

 

"What challenge?" he questioned, his tone acidic.

 

The tonality of Yunho's voice, however, had no effect on the smirking maknae before him.

 

"Poker." 

 

Kyuhyun had happily announced, an evil glint in his eye.

 

"And the winner gets to order the loser to do something of his wishing."

 

Yunho looked at him dubiously. There was no doubt in his mind that Kyuhyun had a plan and was going to execute it. No. The fears Yunho had in concern was rather the nature of the plan that Kyuhyun was plotting and what detrimental effect would that plan of his have on him. Yunho shivered. Sometimes, he really wondered how Changmin could even be dating him. Yunho pursed his lips in disgust. It was like a prince marrying a fox, a fairytale romance gone wrong!

 

Yunho sighed, giving in to his inevitable fate.

 

"What will you have me do if you won?" he questioned, his tone bleak and wary.

 

Kyuhyun merely grinned maliciously in reply.

 

"Well, you just have to lose to find out don't you?"

 

And so, for the umpteenth time of the day, Yunho wondered just how could his young and innocent maknae be dating the sadistic cruel monster before him.

 

~*~

 

Tension filled the room as both parties were oddly silent, the cards laid strewn on the table before them. Beads of sweat could be seen trickling down Yunho's forehead as his face scrunched up in concentration, the desire to win burning in his eyes. Across him, Kyuhyun was not faring any better. The card slipped out of his hands and landed soundlessly on the table as Kyuhyun rubbed his palms against his shirt, trying but failing to rid himself off the cold sweat that covered him. With wariness, Yunho flipped over the card that Kyuhyun slipped, set on continuing the game and enabling it to reach its conclusion. He gasped. Throwing down the last card in his hand, he laughed as the realisation started creeping into Kyuhyun's face as he stared at the unveiled card before him.

 

"Ace of Hearts," Yunho declared, "That means I won the game, didn't I?"

 

Kyuhyun turned his gaze from the wretched card in his eyes and glared at Yunho, his fury apparent though that simple eye contact. Yunho backed a little. In the joy of his victory, he had forgotten about the demonic nature that the man before him seemed to possess and that oversight could prove to be fatal to him. Clamping his mouth shut, Yunho vowed not to say another word, in fear of igniting the fire of rage within the beast.

 

"So what do you want me to do?" Kyuhyun drawled, the unspoken threat present in his voice. Yunho suppressed a tremble. Kyuhyun was a demon. He definitely was inhuman. That would explain how Changmin got seduced by him and fell in love. It was all because of his demonic powers.

 

"What did you mean by what you said earlier?" Yunho asked, missing the smirk on Kyuhyun's face.

 

"What do you mean by what I said earlier?" Kyuhyun antagonized, "I said a lot of things earlier you know hyung?"

 

Yunho gritted his teeth. How he would love it if he could manhandle the maknae before him and  throw him off the building never to be seen again. It was all but a futile hope and a fervent wish in his heart. Although he hated the maknae with vigor, he knew he could never do that to him. Besides the obvious fact that murder was a crime, Yunho knew Changmin loved Kyuhyun deeply and he would never do something that he knew would intentionally hurt Changmin. That was his promise to Changmin and the vow he made with all members that night in Japan. He might have broken three already but that in no way implied that he had no intentions of keeping the last one. The ending was always the most important to a story after all.

 

"What did you mean by your previous question: Do you then have no idea what is the reason for Changmin's tears?" Yunho questioned.

 

Kyuhyun paused in that instant, all menacing aura vanished from him in that momentary second. 

 

"You mean Yunho hyung, you never realised that you are pushing Changmin away like what you did when the lawsuit first started? You don't realise that those tears he's shedding are out of worry for you?"

 

Yunho blanched. His mouth hung wide open as Kyuhyun walked away from him, slamming the door to the room shut. He really was the biggest idiot in the whole damn universe. Regaining his senses, Yunho began to exercise his limbs and walked to the door, exiting the company to sought for his only other team member left. 

 

He did not want to admit it, but it was at times like this that Yunho could see the appeal in the demonic maknae of Super Junior. Kyuhyun might be crude and rude but he never lied and he was always caring for the people around him. Although Yunho would never admit it, deep down, he knew that Kyuhyun was simply perfect for Changmin.

 

~*~

 

"So what did you tell him?" Changmin questioned the moment Kyuhyun stepped into the house, his curiosity barely contained.

 

Kyuhyun laughed. 

 

"I helped your hyung realised he is an idiot," he spoke as he threw the bag in his hands away while he slumped next to his lover, "He really is you know?"

 

Changmin cracked at the utter disbelief in Kyuhyun's tone.

 

"Yes he really is," Changmin agreed, "but that's what makes Yunho hyung so special."

 

"Special?" Kyuhyun scoffed immediately, "I call that being an idiot."

 

Changmin shook his head in amusement. He never knew why Kyuhyun and Yunho could never get along. He would chalk it up to the clashing of the nature of their personalities in general but if Kyuhyun could get along with the extremely religious Siwon and commandeering Leeteuk, why then could he not get along with Yunho? It was a mystery of a puzzle Changmin could never solve and he had given up on it soon enough. As long as he was not caught in the middle, Changmin was satisfied. Intertwining Kyuhyun's hands with his, Changmin rested his head on the crook of Kyuhyun's shoulders, sighing as he did so.

 

"So that means he's not going to ignore me from now on huh?" he whispered despondently, making Kyuhyun wished he had killed Yunho earlier for causing such feelings in his beloved.

 

"Shouldn't you be happy then?" Kyuhyun questioned.

 

Changmin smiled bitterly.

 

"You could be avoiding despite acknowledging one's questions and presence you know?"

 

Changmin nuzzled Kyuhyun's neck as he shut his eyes, inhaling in the scent of cologne Kyuhyun was wearing.

 

"I just don't know anymore." he spoke wearily, "I've spoken to Yoochun hyung, Junsu hyung and Jaejoong hyung and we are all ready. Now the only person who is holding me back is him."

 

Kyuhyun tightened his grip on Changmin, disliking the hint of despair that could be detected in his voice.

 

"You could always leave him alone." he grumbled, causing Changmin to chuckle at the pout gradually forming on Kyuhyun's face.

 

"Could you be jealous of Yunho hyung?" Changmin teased as he blew a kiss at Kyuhyun, causing him to blush even further.

 

"O-of course not!" Kyuhyun stammered, avoiding the knowing look in Changmin's eyes.

 

Changmin, once again, burst into fits of laughter. His muscular chest heaved up and down as it rumbled with the peals of laughter that echoed around them, lifting the heavy atmosphere of the room instantly.

 

"You need not be you know," Changmin responded after the laughter died down, "Yunho hyung might be gay but he's only gay for Jaejoong hyung."

 

And the ends of Kyuhyun's lips curved at his voice as Changmin proceeded to plant a huge kiss against his lips.

 

Although Kyuhyun would be loathed to admit it, he knew that no matter the animosity between the leader and him, he would never forbid Changmin from meeting Yunho. Although he feared for the deterioration of Changmin's intelligence levels when he hung out with that idiotic hyung of his, he knew that Yunho was as important to Changmin as he was to him. Besides, he respected Changmin's leader even though it may not seemed like it. It takes courage to stay in love with someone, especially with the distance between Jaejoong and Yunho and the limited time they had with each other throughout the years. He would never admit it out loud but for that, Yunho really had gained his upmost respect.

 

"So who are you gay for then?" Kyuhyun questioned as he draped his arms around Changmin's shoulders, continuing the conversation and abolishing thoughts of Yunho in his mind.

 

Changmin laughed.

 

"Well, you're really an idiot then since you're asking your boyfriend this question."

 

Kyuhyun smirked in response. 

 

"Well, I'm kinda an idiot for falling in love with you."

 

The End.