New Family?

Seven Derps in the Palm of her Hand

"Illie, where are we going?" A precocious seven year old girl asked. The nine year old boy just looked back at her and smiled.

"I'm not telling you. You're just gonna have to wait till we get there." He stuck out his tongue at her and resumed their pace. The little girl pouted and pulled her puppy dog eyes.

"Please, Taeil Oppa? I just wanna know....." He knew she meant business when she called him Oppa. Taeil sighed, but kept dragging his companion along.

"Oh no, I'm not looking back at you, Yunhee. I already know that Yukwon and Jihoon have been teaching you aegyo, and I'm not falling for it. Besides, it's a secret...." Now, it was Yunhee's turn to huff as the older boy wasn't going to tell her.

They arrived at their destination soon enough: the big oak tree in the backyard of the orphanage they lived in. Yunhee was highly unimpressed.

"What's so special about the tree? We come out here and see it every day...” There were light chuckles coming from behind the tree that were quickly hushed.

"Yeah, I guess it's not all that special. Wait, what day is it today? Isn't it your birthday, Yunhee?" She giggled and poked her cheek.

"Maaaaybe" she answered. At that moment, six boys come from behind the tree and start singing her happy birthday. Throughout the seven of them singing to her, Yunhee continuously giggled as her Oppas started making funny faces at her.

"Happy birthday, YunYun-ah" an uljjang like boy said as he handed her a slightly heavy brown paper bag. Yunhee opened it and happily gasped at the contents: it was a bag full of her favorite candies. She launched herself at the boy and hugged him tightly.

"Thank you JaeJae Oppa!!!"

He just laughed and ruffled her hair in response.

"You're welcome, YunYun. Just don't eat it all at once, arasseo?"

"Neh!!"  And she popped a piece of candy in . The rest gave her hugs and cookies and such before they were called in by the headmistress.

"Come now, children. It's time for dinner, and then it's off to bed. Taeil and Minhyuk have a big day ahead of them tomorrow." Yunhee looked at the two boys confusedly as the pair avoided her piercing gaze. The eight of them walked into the building and into the eating area. Yunhee tugged on Minhyuk's sleeve impatiently.

"Oppa, what was Ms. Choi talking about? What's going on with you and Illie Oppa tomorrow?" Minhyuk sighed and turned to look at Taeil who sighed and simply nodded his head.

"Well, a family came by a few weeks ago, and they decided that they wanted Taeil and me. We're leaving tomorrow morning." He couldn't look into her sad little face. She was about to lose her two oldest Oppas. Their little family was being broken up and she didn't know how to handle it. Tears started slowly tumbling down her chubby cheeks, staining her porcelain face.

"Yunnie, please don't cry. You still have the rest of us." Yukwon stated as he gently wiped the moisture from her face.

"I know, but I don't want to lose any of you." She said and sniffled.

"I'm sure we won't be that far away, but we won't be able to see each other as much anymore." Taeil said as he ruffled her hair.

"Now, you need to eat. Say 'ah'." Kyung said as he started feeding her. Dinner was pretty quiet, and soon, it was time to prepare for bed. She hugged her Oppas good night as she normally did, but took more time hugging Taeil and Minhyuk. The two kissed her forehead before retreating to the boys sleeping quarters.

The next morning, Yunhee woke up and scrambled out of her bed. She had to see them one last time before they left. She made it to the front in just enough time to see the boys and their new parents about to leave out of the door.

"Wait!!" She blurted out and ran to back hug Minhyuk he stopped and turned around to face her. He held her tight and patted her head.

"Hey, you'll be okay. I'm sure Jiho and the others won't let anything happen to you. And pretty soon, you'll be out of here yourself. Hang in there, Yunnie." Minhyuk said before kissing her cheek and prying himself from her arms. She looked at the ground sadly.

"What, no hug for Illie Oppa?" She quickly rushed into his open arms and he closed them around her protectively.

"We're really gonna miss you, kid. I wish we could all be in one family so we don't have to split up.... Promise me one thing: stay this sweet forever. You promise me that, and I can assure you that we'll see each other again." Yunhee stuck out her pinky at him and kissed her thumb.

"Yaksok?" Taeil laughed a little before copying her actions.

"Yaksok." He said as their pinkies intertwined. They stamped their thumbs together and smiled at each other. He smoothed out her hair and kissed her cheek before letting go. He slowly walked to the door to join Minhyuk and they both looked at her sadly.

"Bye, Yunhee." They said and waved.

"Bye, Oppas." She replied and waved back. They turned a walked out of the door to their waiting parents. They left while waving at her through the window. When she couldn't see them anymore, she trudged back to the girls sleeping quarters and flopped onto her bed. She struggled to sleep for the two hours she had left, but somehow managed.

When the headmistress came to get them ready for the day, Yunhee sluggishly moved around and got ready. She brushed her hair, brushed her teeth, washed her face and put on some clothes. She walked to the eating area and sat down next to her Oppas. Kyung picked up her chopsticks and tried to feed her like he always does, but she just took them from him and fed herself. Jihoon poked her cheek and did some aegyo and Yukwon joined in. She started feeling better and smiled at them for making her feel better.

"Yunhee, I know you miss Hyungs, but it'll be ok. Now, I don't know about you, but I'm ready to go to the zoo." Jiho said and started tickling her sides. Yunhee squirmed to get away from him as she squealed with laughter.

After breakfast, they were loaded onto the bus that they always took when they went places. When they arrived at the zoo, Jiho suggested they all pick a buddy so that if they got separated, they wouldn't be alone. Yunhee grabbed Jihoon's hand and off they went.

It was a well known fact that the only reason that they got to go out in public was so they could be seen and hopefully adopted. It's nothing more than advertisement. It might seem wrong, but it was for the kids. All the headmistress wanted was for the children to go to loving homes.

"Hoonie Oppa, I wanna go see the pandas!!" The little girl said excitedly. They were free to roam as long as they had at least one partner and they had to be back at the front gate at a specific time. The taller boy nodded his head and intertwined their fingers as they quickly walked off to the exhibit. Yunhee was considerably small for a seven year old, so that made it difficult for her to properly see the pandas. Jihoon was quite a bit taller than her, so he leaned down and let her climb up on his shoulders so she could see them. She giggled in joy as she saw the giant animals laze about and walk around. Jihoon rolled his eyes; he would never understand his friend's fascination with pandas. She was always so happy when she saw them, but if she was happy, then he didn't mind.

After a while, he shifted her from his shoulders onto his back so he could give her a piggy-back ride. He ran to the playground with her on his back and she screamed in delight. Jihoon lowered Yunhee to the ground and the girl took off towards the swings. She perched herself on one and called Jihoon over.

“Oppa, come push me!!” Jihoon swiftly made his way over to her and began pushing her gently. A young couple happened to walk past the playground and saw them. They began commenting on how cute and adorable Yunhee and Jihoon were.

“Yeobo, they’re so adorable….. I wish we could have kids like that. Wouldn’t it be nice to have a son and daughter who play so well with each other?” The wife sighed as her husband embraced her. He sighed and rubbed her back.

“I know Jagiya, I know. But we can always adopt a couple of kids like that.” The couple watched as the children moved to the picnic table area where there were a lot more kids seated and a handful of adults passing out lunch bags to them. The couple was suddenly filled with hope.

“Yeobo, you don’t think they could be…?” the wife faced her husband. He looked back at her.

“Only one way to find out.” He grabbed her hand and walked over to a kind-looking middle aged woman who was sitting down and supervising the children.

“Excuse me, ma’am. We were wondering if you’re with the orphanage?” the man asked her. She smiled at the couple and answered.

“Yes, I am. I’m Ms. Choi, I run the orphanage. How may I help you?” The couple was elated and started discussing adopting the children they had observed earlier.

“YunYun, Jihoon; there you two are. Let me guess: she dragged you over to the pandas again, didn’t she?” Jaehyo asked as he pinched Yunhee’s cheeks. She turned away from him as Kyung laid out her food for her. She picked up half of her sandwich and smiled as she ate it.

“Of course she did, she always wants to go there first. She loves the pandas as much as Taeil Hyung loves going to the aquarium.” Jihoon covered his mouth and looked over at Yunhee who was too busy eating and playing rock, paper, scissors with Yukwon and Jiho to notice that Jihoon had said anything at all. Ms. Choi walked over to the group of friends and cleared a little.

“Jihoon, Yunhee… I need you two to stay after lunch for a bit, okay?” It wasn’t up for discussion and they knew that. So, they just nodded and continued eating their lunch.

“What did you two do? Ms. Choi never makes anyone stay after lunch unless they did something bad.” Jiho said as he put his juice box on the table and started eating his sandwich.

“We didn’t do nothing, JiJi Oppa.” Yunhee said as she drank her juice. Jiho smiled at her.

“Of course; you guys never get in trouble.” The six of them finished their lunches and cleaned up after themselves. Jaehyo, Yukwon, Kyung, and Jiho waved goodbye to their friends and trekked off to explore a little more. Yunhee folded her arms on top of the table and rested her head on top of them. Jihoon patted her back a couple of times as Ms. Choi walked towards them with two people neither of them had seen before.

“Kids, these are the Pyo’s. They want to adopt you two.” Jihoon gazed on in excitement as Yunhee looked a bit sad. Mrs. Pyo saw this and crouched down to be level with Yunhee.

“What’s wrong, sweetie? We thought you would be happy to get a family.” Yunhee turned to face her with wide, innocent eyes.

“I am happy. I just don’t wanna leave my other Oppas.” She rubbed her nose with her sleeve. Mrs. Pyo looked at Mr. Pyo, and then looked back at Yunhee sadly.

“I’m sorry, Sweetheart, but we just don’t have the room to take in all six of you. But, I’ll tell you what, we wouldn’t dream of taking you two so far away from your friends that you can’t see them.” Yunhee smiled at this and Mrs. Pyo pinched her cheek. They spent the rest of the zoo trip getting to know each other better. After it was time for the children to leave, the Pyo’s followed them to the orphanage to fill out the necessary paperwork. It took a few weeks to process it, but sooner than they thought, they were at the front desk waiting for their new parents to finish finalizing everything. The remaining four boys were saying their goodbyes.

“Yah, Jihoon-ah, make sure you take care of her and don’t get into too much trouble without us.” Jiho said as he lightly rapped his knuckles on Jihoon’s head. He laughed and swatted the hand away.

“Okay, okay. I will and we won’t.” The others had already said their goodbyes and Jiho had been just finishing his. Yunhee was trying to fight her tears and had started sniffling to herself.

“YunYun, come here.” He said and held his arms out for her she ran to him and he held her there. The others huddled around her in a group hug. They didn’t say anything to each other until they let go.

“We’re all going to miss you, but it’s not like it’s going to be forever. We’ll see you soon.” Yukwon said. They all took turns kissing her forehead, and soon the two were in the backseat of the car, ready to start a new chapter in their life with a family they could call their own.