Book I:Then

Breath Of Life

 

“Beep! Beep! Beep…” rang that familiar irritating sound which has awoken the sleeping young girl for the past fourteen years. Barely opening her eyes; her hand lands on the familiar button, putting an end to the noise for the next ten minutes.

“Beep Beep, Beep!”

 “Just ten more  minutes” she grunts. “Time for school Ji Hye!” sang a familiar voice. “I know” Ji Hye mumbles as she drags herself off her beloved King sized bed in her studio apartment. Lee Ji Hye, for as long as she could recall has been living alone since the day she learned how to sit on her own. Her mother, Mrs. Lee as she likes to be addressed as, is a highly successful woman in the country.

Now, don’t you start thinking that because Mrs. Lee is busy with work is the reason why Ji Hye lives on her own. Mrs. Lee is married to a typhoon with two beautiful children whom she sends and picks up from school herself. No, her new family isn’t the reason why she has no time for her first born Ji Hye. Truth be told, Mrs. Lee simply hates Ji Hye with every single drop of blood that runs in her body. Mrs. Lee hated the fact that Ji Hye shared half of her blood.

Rumors has it that she had wanted to abort Ji Hye when she found out she was pregnant. She even went as far as wanting to drown herself in the bathtub but was saved by a family friend. But that didn’t stop there, when JiHye was born Mrs. Lee had tried to kill her on more than one occasion, she detests Ji Hye so much that she didn’t even name her. A nurse that took care of Ji Hye at that time named her. 

Ji Hye had always wondered why the nurse named her Ji Hye, meaning “wisdom”. Ji Hye didn’t see herself as wise, if she really was wise then she would have found away to escape from this hell she is living in. “Lee JIHYE! You better in the showe… Oh my lord! Did Madame do this? Again?” asked Ari, the house maid that was haired to take care of Ji Hye at the age of seven.

Ji Hye simply gives her a blank stare, and goes back to turning on the tub water for her bath. What is the use of denying it? Ari already knows everything about me. Heck! She knows more about me than I know myself. The scars engraved on her flesh remind Ji Hye every second of the day of her mother's love.“That lady is going to kill you one day” Ari says. She has already done that, many times and she isn’t going to stop.

“Look at you, you are beautiful and a beautiful girl shouldn’t have to hide her beauty because of the awful scares on her body. Look at your body, it’s all black and blue now.” 

“How do you know mom was here yesterday?” Ji Hye mumbles softly. “I know because my favorite Greek vase is in the trash. Have you seen the living room? Cause I know I cleaned that room before leaving last night, so unless a tornado came through that room than I have no idea how it became such a mess. Plus there is blood on the carpet. How do you explain that? Apart from your mom, the driver you and I, who else knows where you live?” Ari asks.

“No one” Ji Hye answers. Ari understood and could read Ji Hye like the back of her own hand. Ari was the only person alive who truly knew Ji Hye. “Now tell me, what was her 'Justified' reason for almost killing you this time?” Ji Hye cracked a soft smile because of the way Air had emphasized on the word Justified.

“I got an 89 on my pre-cal midterm exam”

“What?!” Ari asked, completely dumfounded. “You are a fifteen year old in your junior year, at the top of your class and just because you got an 89 in that stupid class she thought it was justified reason for her to beat you to death?” Ari screeched at the top of her lungs.

“And she calls herself a fair and righteous lawyer! I fear for her opponents she faces in court”.

  “Let me shower in peace, Ari. I am tired.”  Ari only nods as she leaves the bath after placing a kiss on Ji Hye’s forehead. Left alone in the bath, her soft smile becomes an unrecognizable expression, accompanied by tears as memories of her encounter with her mother replayed in her mind. A single word filled with much sorrows echoed softly in foggy room.

Why?

The drive to school was as normal as her everyday drive. With her red beats head phones on, she quietly reviewed her notes in the back seat. Although she took pain relieving medication, the pain only became unbearably with every passing second. She knew staying home was not an option. Her mother didn’t care if she was sick or not, Ji Hye had to be in school no matter what. 

As the car pulled up to the schools driveway, Ji Hye begins her usually chants. “I am beautiful. I am intelligent. I am happy. I am kind. I am wise. I am righteous. I am Lee Ji Hye. I am the Queen of this school. I am loved and needed. This is my kingdom. This is mine” 

“Have a good day Miss. Lee” Ji Hye replies with her bright smile as she elegantly steps out of the car. The moment she stepped out, she was surrounded by her friends; at least that’s what she thought they were. 

“JI JI!” called Kim Hana, Ji Hye’s best friend since sixth grade. She was also as elegant as Ji Hye, with her perfectly curled long brown hair, round face, perfect nose and mouth. Her perfectly shaped bangs that made her hazel-green eyes stand out. Those same hazel-green eyes that made her an outcast before, now made her to die for. 

“Good morning Hana, how was your weekend?” Ji Hye greeted. “Fine, daddy and I went to Paris! Went to a couple of fashion show and came back, how was your weekend? Did you and your Mr. Perfect go out on a date?”  

“Nah.. I was studying for my math test” Ji Hye replied. “You and your studies, make sometime for Kris at least”

“Yeah, Ji Hye make some time for me” a deep voice said making the girls stop in their track. “Kris!” the girls yelled in union. “That’s what they call me” he replied with a wink as he wrapped his arms around Ji Hye. 

 “I will leave you two love birds to catch up, see you later!” Hana announced and took her leave. With all eyes on them, they walked to Ji Hye’s class. Everyone in school knew them; they wanted to be like Kris and Ji Hye. People wanted the pure love they had. Kris and Ji Hye loved the attention they received.

“How are you babe?” he asked in a low voice. “Fine” 

“So your birthday is coming up. What are we going to day?”Kris couldn’t wait for her birthday to come to past. He was tired of it all “Nothing, how about you? Today is you birthday what are you going to do?”

“I am having a family dinner today, you are invited” 

“Did your mom invite me or your dad?” 

“My dad, your mom and your family are also invited”

“Then I think it’s better for me to stay home, I have to finish writing my English paper”JiHye would rather stay home all alone than to be in the same room with those people.  

“Are you still not speaking to your mom? Stop being immature and move back in with her, your step dad isn’t that bad” only if you knew the real reason why I am living alone Kris.  The bell rang and they parted ways, the next time they will be seeing each other will be six hours from now, during lunch.

Now you might all be wondering what Ji Hye’s history with Kris is. Well, they are childhood friends; you can say they kinda grew up together. Kris’s parents are very powerful and well respected. Kris’s parents know what is really happening in Ji Hye’s household but Kris under the illusion that Ji Hye moved out because she didn’t like her step dad. Kris’s dad is the reason why Ji Hye is still alive. 

He is the reason why Ji Hye lived away from her mother and Ji Hye was grateful for that. Kris’s dad pitied the girl. But she knew he was also keeping a watchful eye on her. Why? She didn’t know but she connected it to the unknown reason why her mother and her family members hated her.

Kris’s mother on the other hand wasn’t as kind hearted as her husband; she was just like Ji Hye’s mother. She loathes Ji Hye with passion. Never in her life had she addressed Ji Hye by her name, it’s always it or that thing. But Ji Hye liked that instead of what her mother called her by, A monster.

By the time lunch rolled by, Ji Hye was completely wrapped up in finishing her lab. She sent a text to Kris informing him she wouldn't make it to their lunch date.But in the end, she managed to finsh on her lab before lunch was over. With only twenty minutes left of lunch, she runs to her locker. Picked up the gift she had prepared for Kris. 

She walks down the empty hallway thinking of how to present the gift to Kris. A familiar laugh caught her attention, she stopped in her tracks and went toward the nearest window and peeked through it. Immediately her eyes landed on her best friend, Hana.

Don’t tell me she is having in school again? Who is it this time? I am going to give him a piece of my mind when I see him! Messing with my Hana and thinking you can get away with it. Ha! Think again!  

“Are you really thinking of mating with her?” Hana asked as she sat up to her shirt. “What can I say? My dad wants me to but the clan wants me not to. I mean she is a good girl” is that Kris? Kris and Hana?

“She is not a girl, Kris. She is a monster” Hana hissed. Who is Hana talking about? Why are they together?  “Wow! Isn’t she your best friend?”Kris replied with a soft laugh. Best friend? I am Hana's only friend and Best friend. Only mother calls me a monster. I am a monster?

“Isn’t she your so called girlfriend? Do you even like her?”Hana asked alluring as she positioned herself above Kris who laid on the floor. Of course Kris loves me! Right?

“No. I am with her because dad wants me to be close to her to keep an eye on her. You know, keep your friends close keep your enemies closer. Why do you hate her so much Hana?” deep down on the inside,Kris did feel sorry for playing with Ji Hye. She really is a nice,sweet girl but she was also dangerous and it was his job as the next leader of his clan to protect poeple from dangerous beings such as Ji Hye.

 “She is the reason why my birth mother is dead. I hate her; everything about her makes me want to kill her. A monster like her shouldn’t be alive” but that wasn’t the only reason why she loathes JiHye. 

JiHye has always had everything she wanted. JiHye had the man Hana wanted, she wanted to be popular yet JiHye was more popular than she was. What did JiHye have that she didn’t? She couldn’t understand what made that monster so popular. Hana felt like she was second place to everything and Hana didn’t like losing.

“Enough about her my love, how about we continue with what we were doing, huh?”

“Won’t she be looking for you?”Hana asked as a sly grin forms on . The truth is she wanted Ji Hye to find them. She wanted to see that destroyed look in her eyes.

“Nah, she is busy with her chemistry Lab. Bet she is still at it”

“If you say so, where were we again?”

“You just finished giving me an awesome BJ and we were about to go all the way”  

“Oh. Let’s have fun then. We have like 15 minutes left, so make it quick”

“Okay” Heartbroken doesn’t even begin to explain how Ji Hye felt. She wanted nothing more than to leave that place but she was frozen. The loud moans from that room haunted her as if she was trapped in a horror movie

That’s not Kris and Hana. It’s not true, they wouldn’t do that. I love Kris and he loves me. Hana is my best friend, my best friend. She wouldn’t hurt me like that. She loves me, Right?

Oh who am I kidding?

My best friend and my boyfriend,

              they hate me,

                        she hates me. 

                               I am a monster?

                             A monster?


y first chapter?

well, let me know your thoughts on it by commenting!

until next time!