When we were young

Yah! Don't ruin my image!

'UMMA!!! I want to go to the park!!' A 5 year old Byunghun wailed in the early hours of Saturday morning. He ran up to his mother's room, and bounced happily onto the bed. 'umma umma umma umma umma park park park park!!!!'

His mother lifted herself wearily and gave a tired smile.'Araso, Byunghun, wait til I get up.'

'YAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY' Byunghun ran around the house with his arms flailing. He stopped suddenly. 'Is appa coming?'

Sighing, his mother answered 'Ani, sorry byunghyun, he's at work'

'Again?' Byunghun pouted.

His mother laughed at his cuteness and ruffled his hair. 'Don't worry, he'll be home soon'

'YAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY -ah' Byunghun ran around the house again before tripping on his half-on shoe.

'Aigoo, Byunghun, remember to tie your shoelaces!'

He quickly pulled his foot away from his mum and started tying the shoelaces himself. After nearly 10 minutes, he heaved a proud sigh.

'All done.' he smiled.

'Then kaja, let's go!!' HIs mother held his hand and headed to the park with him.

-------------

Byunghun was having the time of his life, when all of a sudden he crashed into a soft something and they both landed on the ground. Who dared to interrupt his fun?

‘Yah! Watch where you’re going’ he shouted, as he slowly got up and brushed himself off. There was no reply.

‘Aren’t you going to say sorry? YAH!!' He paused and turned to look at the girl before him.

She was pale and weak, and her long dark hair was knotted and dirty.

‘Yah…’ he asked more cautiously, ‘Are you alright..?’

The girl didn’t meet his eyes and bowed profusely before mumbling ‘Mianhae’ as she turned around to leave.

Suddenly his eye caught her knee. While Lee Byunghun was a confident boy, the sight of blood triggered shivers in him, he just couldn’t stand it!

‘Ah… you’re bleeding…. gwenchana… ahh.. molla... I’m Byunghun.. ahh… mianhae.. ' he stuttered before sticking his hand out awkwardly for a handshake.

The girl blinked at him, her brown eyes wide. What a strange boy, she slightly gigled to herself.

'Ah... are you going to leave my hand hanging here?' he quickly retracted it before he got any more embarrassed.

She quickly grabbed his hand and gave a small smile. 'Annyeong, I'm JaeHee'

Still avoiding her bloody knee, Byunghun gave a nervous smile back. 'Want to play with me?

She suddenly looked hopeful, nobody had asked to play with her before! But she gave a quick glance back to the street before nodding shyly. 'Ne!!'

'Kaja!' Byunghun grabbed her hand and dragged her to the playground, when suddenly, a loud voice interrupted them.

'JAEHEE!! COME BACK IN THIS INSTANCE!'

Jaehee's shoulders suddenly drooped, her eyes were apologetic. 'Mianhae byunghun, I can't play with you today..'

'Is that your umma?' he asked, curious.

'Ani... I don't have an umma' she replied.

'Ah...' Byunghun didn't know what to say.

'HURRY UP JAE HEE, THE DISHES ARE PILING UP, YOU BETTER GET BACK BEFORE MORE CUSTOMERS ARRIVE.'

'Annyeong Byunghun... ' she shouted while running off.

'Ah... ah... JAEHEE ITS OKAY IF YOU DON'T HAVE AN UMMA! SARANGHAE~~ COME BACK AND PLAY WITH ME TOMORROW ARASO? I'LL BE HERE WAITING!'

A grin grew on Jaehee's face. It was the first time anyone had wanted to hang with her or even talk with her!

---------------

When she got back, she was met with one angry ahjumma.

'Yah. Jaehee, what do you think you're doing? I tell you to empty the rubbish, but you end up going to the playground? Do you even understand how lucky you are?' She threw a stack of bowls at Jaehee's feet. 'Go wash these up quickly before I change my mind about keeping you.'

Jaehee lived at one of the local street stores that sold fishcakes. Jaehee HATED the smell of fish cakes, but that was just how things turned out. She didn't have anywhere to go.

Jae Hee empty the rubbish. Jae Hee serve the customers. Jae Hee wash the floor. Every second of every day it was like this. But she had no choice. The orphanage had sent her here.

--------------

She went and lingered at the playground every day she emptied the rubbish, in the hope she might see the Byunghun boy waiting for her again. But he was never there anymore.

She frowned to herself. What did she expect? Nobody wanted a dirty poor girl like her.

It was almost a year later, when she was washing the dishes at the shop, that she saw him again.

She perked up as a familiar boy entered.

'Byunghun...' she whispered.

'5 FISHCAKES PLEASE' he ordered loudly.

'Byunghun!!' she hissed.

He jerked his head to his name to see a familiar looking girl.

'Oh.... Daeshi...'

She pouted 'It's not Daeshi'

'Ani ani ani you heard me wrong, of course I remember you Jaemi' he quickly backtracked.

'JAEMI??' she sighed. No wonder he didn't ever wait for her, he didnt even remember her name. 'I hope you choke on your fishcakes' she shouted before going back to the dishes.

He scoffed at her. Fine, if that's the way she wanted it. 'THIS PLACE STINKS' he said rather loudly, hoping she would hear it. 'The fishcakes STINK here!' He quickly gobbled the fishcakes down before leaving. 'BYE JAEHEE' he scoffed, at one last attempt at her name. 'FOREVER.'