Bucketful of Blankets

I Hear Your Voice : Echoes of the Heart

 

 

Bucketful of Blankets

 

Picture1.png

"Wash your feet first. The clothes will get even dirtier, if you just step on them," she told him.

He looked up at her in surprise. Astonished that she knew he was about to help her with the laundry, even when he did not indicate his attention.

Maybe sometimes, you don't really need to have a mind reading ability to know what the person is thinking, he thought to himself.

Or maybe it's because you rolled up your pant leg, silly, he continued to monologue.

"It's clean," he announced, a few seconds later.

"Owh?"

It was neither a question nor a statement. More like a dazed reply on her part.

He knew her spring cleaning of late was due to her troubled heart and mind.

Which was totally acceptable given the fact that her omma was recently and brutally killed.

And the killer may just be ruled innocent because of careful planning and superior acting skills.

At his announcement, she braced a palm on the wall beside her, gaining her balance to step out of the bucket, making room for him to take over.

He grabbed her forearm and elbow.

Not to help her out, rather to make her stay.

In the bucket.

While he then, stepped in to stand right in front of her.

"It's faster when two are working on one," he rationalized, at her questioning eyes.

Giving her, what he hoped, was an innocent namdongseng-like smile.

So not to alarm her in any way.

He held her by the elbows to keep her at a safe distance, and started to stomp his feet to a staccato beat.

And after a short impasse, she followed his lead.

Holding on to his arm for balance and support.

But the bucket proved that it was barely big enough to house two people, let alone two people indulging in one vigorous activity.

So, he had no choice but to wrap his long arm around her waist.

To keep her from falling.

And close to him.

Despite her confused state, she again looked up at him questioningly?

Wei gure?

He shrugged.

"So you won't fall," he said, reading her mind.

I wanted to step out for you to take over, she retorted with her eyes.

He smiled at her mentally indignant voice.

"You still need something to keep your mind away from your problems," he explained, in a soft cajoling voice, unaware of his palm absently soothing the small of her back. "This is just one method."

She sighed, both verbally and mentally.

"My mind may stray, but the problem will still remain," she said out loud, albeit sadly, resting her forehead on his chest.

She did a similar action with Attorney Cha, her colleague, and ironically her Omma's killer public defendant, a few days earlier.

She rested her forehead on Attorney Cha's chest, in a way of beseeching for help.

For Cha to do the right thing and plead guilty on behalf of his defendant.

But a stickler for moral values, and firm believer of 'innocent til proven guilty', Cha could not comply.

Leading to Hye Sung going to the prosecutor instead, which ended up in her venting her frustrations on a bucketful of blankets.

So now, she repeated her earlier action, though on another man.

To rest her weary head and heart on Soo Ha's chest.

However, the feeling was different. Perhaps due to Soo Ha's taller height, or simply because of Soo Ha himself.

More safe, more welcoming, like coming home, and diving underneath a huge warm blanket.

With Soo Ha, it was more of her seeking comfort.

And he understood what she was asking, tightening his hold on her in support.

His much younger age did not lessen his strength.

"Nope," he smiled sadly, "the problem will remain until we solve it."

His hold on her was then tight enough to propel her to lean her cheek on his chest.

And their bodies close enough that his heat emanate through her semi damp shirt.

Straight into her heart.

Soon, their stomping movement slowed down, making way for a more relaxed sway.

Like slow dancing in a tub of wine grapes, with warm Tuscany air brushing their hair.

"I just want you to rest a little," he whispered into her hair. "And gather your strength before the battle begins."

And so she accepted.

Slowly moving her hands from his arms to reciprocate his hug.

And silently took his offer of a temporary refuge, before they head towards the storm.

 

- Fin -