The Ship Is Sinking

The Ship Is Sinking

 

 

There was a flash, and Jinki quickly turned around, throwing a confused glance at the guy immediately behind him. Jonghyun only shrugged and rolled his eyes, and Jinki took that as reassurance that no paparazzi could possibly be following them on the way to their dressing room.

As Jinki turned towards front once more and walked towards their room, greeting staff on his way, Jonghyun pulled his camera out from his pocket and adjusted the settings. Really, how could he have forgotten to set flash off? Deftly, he balanced the small camera on one hand and took a shot of Onew's retreating back, muscles showing through the soaked t-shirt.

Ever since they debuted, Jonghyun had developed the absurd habit of taking pictures of s. Sleeping, eating, playing, and even showering—no one was safe from his camera. But what they wouldn't know wouldn't hurt them. See, Jonghyun had also developed the talent of being undetected. No one knew that, even more than Kibum, he had a penchant for photography.

Or rather, sneak photography.


As soon as they got home, Jonghyun hurriedly retreated to his room to attend to his, let's just say, extra-curricular activities. The rest of the members eyed him curiously but let him be, figuring he must be tired. But instead of resting in his room, Jonghyun grabbed his laptop to transfer photos and upload them to a website registered under a different name—a more feminine name. Making sure he placed watermarks all over the photos, he set them to public for everyone to see.

He took pictures of his band mates during rehearsals, during breaks, during trips to tapings and stuff. He was fascinated by the things his camera captured that he never noticed otherwise. He noticed how Minho would always have a little smile on his face even though he looked like he's bored most of the time in formal shoots. Taemin looked more serious while traveling while Kibum gave off a cool, quiet aura while walking. Jinki, on the other hand, looked exactly like himself when they were on shows—funny, clumsy, and smiling like a million suns.

It seemed really stalkerish—scratch that, it's really stalkerish—and Jonghyun knew he would probably be on the same level as their sasaeng fans, watching his group mates' every move and taking a photo for remembrance every single time. But there was great pleasure in seeing the slightly unfocused, stolen shots, as if he knew secrets no one else knew. Even though other people could see the photos, only he knew the full story behind them. It was like a treasure trove to him.

Jonghyun couldn't remember how it started, but soon his attention had been turned completely towards Jinki. He never took pictures of the other members anymore. It would just be Jinki in his memory card, in his secret website, in his eyes. He never fully understood why. He just somehow became drawn towards the eldest's eyes and smile that soon, everything non-Jinki photo he took seemed boring, and only Jinki could satisfy the closet photographer in him.

He studied the pictures he had taken of Jinki's profile, of his new hair, and of his clumsy way of climbing down the stairs. In a matter of minutes, he had received a lot of comments saying how cute Jinki was or how he seemed less tired than usual. Smiling, Jonghyun read through the comments, wondering why he felt both happy and annoyed at the same time. He had put up the site to make people notice their leader more anyway, so why was he feeling offended by people fantasizing to be Jinki's wife?

Suddenly, a private message appeared on the screen. Raising a brow, Jonghyun clicked the annoying alert.

Why are you taking pictures like these?

Frowning, Jonghyun quickly typed up a reply.

Who are you?

Not even a minute had passed before his bedroom door opened and Jinki peeked through the small opening, lips curled to a pout. “Yah, Jonghyun-ah, don't think I don't know about this. You were the one who taught me how to egosearch!”

Before Jonghyun could open his mouth, even though he couldn't think of an appropriate reply, Jinki chuckled and closed the door, leaving the younger in slight shock.

Damn, Jonghyun thought as he closed his browser window.

Looks like he should move to a new website soon.




● ● ● ● ● ●




He shipped Minho and Taemin. Who wouldn't? They looked adorable together, their affectionate touches cute and their lingering gazes warm.

He used to exhaust all possible search terms to look for fancams and stolen shots of the two, to the point that he had to push Minho to stand with Taemin sometime so they'd get photographed together. He eagerly waited for fan gifts from 2Min fansites, wondering how creative they could get in bringing the two together. The matching charms didn't work (Taemin kept his in a box in his closet and Minho lost his during practice), and the rest of the gifts were either laughed off or kept carefully in the dorm's many closets (including that one suspicious looking box that contained oils and scented powders and feathers).

Kibum scrolled through a website that always hosted good gifs of Taemin and Minho, laughing at some of the awkward and funny ones. Deftly, he opened a folder in his documents, one innocently labeled “files”, and dragged all the gifs he liked into it so he can stare at them more later. He remembered all the events pictured in the photos, and he wondered how fans could see even the smallest detail of a brush against fingers or a pat at the back. When he was with the group, he didn't even notice any of those happening. Somehow, he felt envious of the audience and wanted to be part of the watchful bystanders, too.

His folders of his 2min shipping were as organized as his closet. The photos were arranged by date and event, like a true fanboy. He kept the folders hidden deep into his documents folder, in case his group mates see them and confront him about it. If they ever do, well, he'll just tell them that it was nice seeing his baby look cozy with a tall, charming man like Minho.

Over the years, his collection grew, thanks to the wonderful talents of 2min fans like him. Sometimes, when the photos and videos grew sparse, he would look at pictures of other members with Minho, gloating about how Taemin seemed most comfortable with Minho compared to the other members (except Kibum, of course, since he IS Taemin's mom and he doesn't count).

But as he studied pictures of Minho with other people, he discovered something else: pictures of Minho and him. They stood together in photoshoots and concerts quite a few times...too many, in fact, and most of the shots involved Kibum laughing his tonsils out and leaning against Minho, who often wore an amused but still charming smile.

Soon, without Kibum realizing it, he was looking more at pictures of him and Minho, staring at them, wondering why he looked so weird in the photos. It was as if it wasn't him in the pictures but someone else. Someone who had embarrassing laughs and awkward gestures and clingy movements towards the other guy. The photos affected him so much that he would look left and right whenever they were on interviews or photoshoots, checking who stood beside him. He wanted to change places, move towards Jinki instead or move Taemin towards Minho as he should, but the photographers wouldn't agree. They said they needed Minho and Kibum to stand together to keep the formation balanced.

Kibum couldn't understand what they meant, but it wasn't like he even had the urge in the first place to leave Minho's side. Somehow, he felt weird whenever he was situated far from the other man.

"What are you looking at?" someone breathed on his neck and Kibum almost slipped off his chair. He whirled around, annoyed, realizing belatedly that it was Minho who stood behind him, gazing at the photo of him and Kibum on the screen with mild amusement.

"Um, this is..." Kibum tried to close the window, but his folders came up instead--folders containing pictures of him and Minho, instead of the 2Min he used to love.

Minho just smiled and squeezed Kibum's shoulder before leaning in. "It took you a damn good time to realize. Taemin was getting pissed at being pushed towards me all the time."

Kibum opened his mouth to argue, but Minho was gone, but not before pressing his lips at Kibum's jaw.

Taking a deep breath to calm his overloading nerves, Kibum trashed his folders and slipped out of the room to follow Minho.



● ● ● ● ● ●



Taemin hummed one of their ballads as he scrolled down to the comments section of his poll. Days ago, he had conducted a poll from his fancafe and votes had come rushing in. Of course, no one knew that he actually owned that fancafe. The members probably thought he was one of them die-hard SHINee fans. They would never expect him to actually own a site for his own group anyway.

He discovered fanfiction way before his hyungs did. He was searching for his name and some interesting sites popped up. These sites didn't contain pictures or videos of him, like most of his fansites. Instead, they contained stories--obviously fake stories made up by fans with him as a character. Mostly him and another SHINee member as a character.

Some of the stories hit close to home, what-if scenarios with them as a group. Some of them had the members in a totally different setting, making Taemin a love-hungry student or a vampire or a werewolf or a kid with superpowers or even a scientist. Some of them even described Taemin as a girl, which were embarrassing yet interesting at the same time.

Taemin would spend hours reading fanfiction. He had learned most of his English from trying to read fanfics written by foreigners, maybe that's why he knew most of the dirty English words. He would pore over them as if they were schoolbooks, memorizing certain scenes he liked by heart and wondering if they'd ever happen in real life.

Well, fanfics had warnings that the stuff in them wouldn't happen in real life, so the writers weren't probably expecting anything. But Taemin felt it was a pity.

So he decided to make some of them happen, even just a bit.

He attached himself to one of his hyungs every now and then, teasing them and blinking coyly at them. Sometimes he'd do these little gestures of running his hands over their hips, thighs and backs or gyrating in minute circles towards a member of his group, reveling at how the fans react both on the spot and online. He'd read comments, suggestions on what they think he should do next, and plan. He'd plan how to insert some people's fantasies into his own actions.

It was fun, and soon, it was a blur--he had stopped thinking which fantasies he was fulfilling for his fans and which were secretly his own.

Then, Taemin discovered .

He could feel himself blushing up to the roots of his hair as he read, fingers trembling and tongue running over and over his dried lips. It was weird, seeing his own name written in the story--his character doing things he didn't even imagine doing. Reading or watching didn't bother him, but if he was in it then it's another thing altogether.

The most disturbing part was that he could visualize them, for some writers had written him and his group members so close to their real personalities that there was no difficulty imagining the scenes. Reading this type of stories made Taemin embarrassed, yet he was really curious.

It was probably force of habit, but soon, Taemin was trying to get any of his hyungs to respond to him, re-enact the tamer scenes in the fics he read. He would scoot closer to Jinki while watching TV and run his hands over the eldest's thighs, watching for sighs and any reaction close to how Jinki would do in fanfics. He'd jump on an unsuspecting Jonghyun in the shower, maybe get a bit playful with him as they took a bath together, wondering if Jonghyun would ever feel the same as the fic he just read. He'd trap Kibum against a kitchen counter and encircle his umma's hips with his hands, wondering if Kibum would ever respond if he rocked their hips together hard enough. He'd roll onto Minho's bed and cuddle and tangle their limbs together, wondering if the annoyed grunt Minho did actually meant the opposite.

It became a constant game of baiting for Taemin, as he tried to tiptoe out of the line slowly but continuously, checking how far it'd take before any of his hyungs scold him or give in. Every day, he'd think of something new, laughing when his hyungs remark that his head was always in the clouds recently. But no matter how much his hyungs noticed about his worsening absentmindedness or daydreaming, they didn't seem to notice the affection Taemin was trying to convey or how his fantasies were slowly overtaking him, that sometimes he'd unconsciously try seducing them even on stage (not that the fangirls complained).

It was only when he woke up to find himself tied up to the bed that he realized what was really going on. He looked around in panic and found Jinki standing at the edge of the bed, wearing a knowing smile. Taemin tested his bonds and realized he was really tightly bound to the bed, and he whimpered at his hyung, slightly wondering in panic what he had ever done to be treated like this (or if he was still dreaming).

Then Jinki spoke, and Taemin blinked in surprise. The line he just said was so familiar, but he couldn't remember where it was said. But when Jinki crawled over him, cradling his face and then saying more lines, and when Minho entered the room with a bucket of ice, something in Taemin's mind clicked.

He had read this scene in a fanfic.

"This is what you get for not clearing your browser history, Taemin-ah," Minho was saying as he crept closer, too. "You should never ever issue us a challenge."

Taemin swallowed as he realized Jinki's face turned from all smiles to grim. He knew that his hyung was getting into character based on what the fanfic had written him to be. The rest of the fanfic flowed smoothly in Taemin's head and all around him, leaving Taemin breathless and in slight shock and drowning in sensations.

A few hours later, Jinki was gently wiping Taemin's fringe off his sweat-laden forehead and Minho was chuckling as he sent emails from his phone. "Kibum said he'll come home tomorrow for chapter 2."

Taemin closed his eyes. He might have wished for his fantasies a little too hard.