Mission: Meeting Him

Don't Judge a Spy by their Cover

“Shadow, the target 10o’clock”

“Copy that Spark,” I replied. I quietly walked toward my target as my squad surrounded him.

We were on a practice mission doing a test for our class, Mission Smarts II. Yeah, not really a good class name. The class makes practice missions that you would do on the field. Right now, my squad’s mission is to receive information from the target without being noticed inside a time limit. Believe me, it’s not easy completing a mission less than ten minutes when you are under pressure. How do spies do this?

“Shadow, did you reach the target yet?”

“Yes Chimp. I’m fifteen meters away,” I said.

Okay enough with the code names. I’m the Shadow, which you already guessed. I’m really quiet and can just blend in with the crowd without being noticed, hence the name Shadow. Krystal is Spark because sparks can be pretty but they hurt if you get near them. Sulli is chimp as in chimpanzee. We chose that for her because they are pretty smart and cute. However, Sulli is not the most graceful person.

“Squad 7. What’s the info?” I said.

“The target is talking to the hot dog person. How do we get the information? He has the chip and our grade!” said Sulli.

“Calm down. You already thought about our plan,” said Krystal. “And the other five plans, so we are well prepared.”

“Chimp, follow the plan. Distract the hot dog guy by buying a hot dog,” I said. “Then Spark will walk by to the target and do the sly exchange.”

“Got it,” said Krystal. “Squad 7 go!”

I could hear Krystal and Sulli following though the plan. My part of this is so run to the base where our teacher will be waiting for us when Krystal passes me the chip.

“Shadow, coming to you at 6o’clock,” said Krystal. I stood there frozen until I felt a hand slide a small object in my hand. Thanks my queue right there.

I started walking quickly but I felt someone watching me. You know the feeling when your back gets all prickly? So I started to run instead to my teacher. All most there, just past this merry-go-round and I’m getting my grade.

But of course, something bad had to happen when everything was going according to plan. Yes, someone stopped me. And it was a boy, a really cute boy.

“Hey,” said the boy.

I stopped and stared at him. Two things rushed to my head as I gazed over him. Number one, how did he see me? I’m the “shadow.” No one ever sees me when I don’t want to be seen. Number two, how do I react to him? I’m not the best around boys so here was what I said.

“H-hi.”

He smirked and rubbed the back of his neck. “So what’s a girl doing here at the carnival all by herself?”

“Um, I’m here because my friends are hiding from me and I should really find them,” I said. Argh, I can’t think straight with this boy in front of me.

“Shadow where are you?” shouted Krystal. Did she really have to shout? I’m wearing an earpiece, which is not fun when someone yells at you.

 “Hey let me help you find them,” said the boy. “My name’s Taemin by the way.”

I silently groaned. Krystal is getting mad, this Taemin here is following me, and time is ticking away. I’m so going to fail.

“Okay Taemin,” I said as I emphasized his name for Krystal. “Let’s go, I hope they didn’t get in any trouble.”

I could hear Krystal take a gasp and running somewhere. Where is she going?

I led Taemin away from the merry-go-round and around the carnival. How do I get Taemin away from me?

“So what school do you go to?” asked Taemin.

“I go to Seoul Academy for Girls,” I said. What other school should I say? If I say another school, he might go there and it might get awkward

Taemin nodded and looked into my eyes. “Isn’t that the school for ultra rich and snobby kids?”

Great. There’s the question that is always asked when I say I’m from Seoul Academy for Girls. Our school is an undercover school for spies. Only the students and the teachers know it’s a spy school. Okay, fine some parents know too but only when they are spies themselves.

“I guess. Not all of us are ultra rich or snobby,” I answered.

“Okay,” said Taemin. “You never told me your name by the way.”

“It’s Melissa,” I said.

“That’s a nice name. How many friends do we have to find Mel?” said Taemin.

“My name isn’t Mel. It’s Melissa. Not Mel, Issa, or even Elissa,” I said. Yes some people actually called me that.

“Calm down feisty girl,” said Taemin. I turned to him and saw that he had an innocent face with amusement in his eyes.

I bit my lip to hide my smile from emerging. I don’t know why but I actually like that name.

“Oh there you are Melissa!”

I turned toward the voice and I saw Sulli. She walked over to us and grabbed my hand.

“My mom is waiting for us by the car,” said Sulli. “We better get going.”

“I guess I’ll leave now,” said Taemin. He walked away and disappeared in the crowd.

“Wow, how’s that cute guy?” said Sulli. She glanced at the clock and jumped. “Omg, come on Melissa! It’s almost ten minutes!” said Sulli.

We ran passed everyone and bumped into Krystal.

“Ow!” said Krystal. “Oh it’s just you. Come on!”

Krystal pulled me to our teacher at a light speed. We stopped right in front of him panting and sweat dripping down our faces.

“You’re late!” said Dr. Lee. “You came at ten minutes five seconds.”

I groaned. If it weren’t for Taemin, I would have come on time.

“Nice job freshmen,” said this person who I hate named Chaelin but nicknamed CL who is a junior. “I knew you wouldn’t pass.”

Okay I might as well tell you why there is a junior in my class. Remember when I told you that my mom was headmistress of the school. The good thing is that I get to see my mom everyday while other kids only get to see their parents on the weekend. However, it also means she pushes me more in school by putting me in advanced classes. I should be in Mission Smarts I but my mom thought I was capable of handling hard classes so I got stuck in Mission Smarts II. Since I work with squads in this school, my other teammates were dragged into this class too! Thanks mom.

“Go away CL,” said Krystal. “No one asked you to say your thoughts.”

CL glared at Krystal. “I would say the same to you. I don’t remember inviting you into this conversation.”

I was about to say something too to defend Krystal but Dr. Lee interrupted them. “Girls girls! Don’t fight. You can fight later at P.E. For now, just hop in the car and go home.”

I sat down in the back of the van and felt something poking me in the side. I took something out of my pocket and saw was a piece of paper with someone’s phone number on it. It read, “Let’s meet again feisty girl.” 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Hi! 

Hope you liked this chapter!

To the people offended by CL being mean and hated, I just want to say that CL is actually one of my favorites. She just gives off this tough female aura you know? I'm really tempted to say "bad not being bad but bad being good you know" so yeah. Bad not being bad but bad being good you know. There I did it. 

~sujualltheway13