Don't Call Me Sir

Don't Call Me Sir


A fierce rain whipped through the district, making the decorative lanterns of the shop shake and sputter out. The sign above was drenched and wobbly, showering patrons with droplets of water as they enter the shop. Inside, though, the rain was merely a muffled noise, drowned out by the music, laughter and other sounds emanating from each of the rooms.

“What happened to your wrists, Onew?”

Jinki quickly whisked his hands away from view, pulling decorated sleeves over his wrists to cover them. “It’s…it’s nothing, Sir,” he said as he smiled and reached for the bottle of wine. “You should not be concerned over trivial things.”

He flinched when he felt a hand cover his over the table, gently pulling it away from the wine bottle. “I am concerned,” his client said, gently turning over his palm to look at the bruises on his wrist. “And how many times have I told you to call me Jonghyun, not Sir.”

“I’m sorry…Jonghyun.” Jinki closed his eyes as he felt gentle and warm fingers ghosting over the still painful bruises on his wrist. Last night’s client was quite violent and demanding, but it was Jinki’s job to satisfy him. He ended up a bit more battered than necessary, with bruises more than the ones on his wrists, but the shop was paid well. The owner went out of her way to give him a little medicine to tend to his cuts, even though usually she would just leave him to take care of himself. Somehow, Jinki felt that was alright and he probably did well. He was just thankful that his long robes covered his marked body from Jonghyun’s concerned and watchful gaze.

Jonghyun was just one of Jinki’s regular clients. Their eyes met while Jinki was on display one rainy spring day. The well-dressed man had entered the shop and called for him immediately, smiling widely the moment Jinki entered the room. He looked rugged and fierce and Jinki was first afraid of him, but as Jonghyun spoke in a melodious voice and caressed his hand gently, Jinki eventually warmed up to him. Jonghyun came every Saturday, booking the whole night with Jinki. It made Jinki look forward to the end of each week; no matter how tiring Monday to Friday was, Jinki carried on with the hope that he would see Jonghyun at the end of each harrowing week.

Jonghyun was different from the other clients. Usually, the others would immediately order Jinki’s clothes off once the visit started, their intentions more physical than anything. But Jonghyun had not touched Jinki even once—the most he had done was embrace Jinki everytime before he left. There were no kisses, no feelups. Somehow, Jinki thought he must be doing something wrong if he couldn’t evoke any form of lust from this client.

“Jonghyun,” Jinki whispered, his hands immediately creeping up the lapels of Jonghyun’s suit. But his client only smiled and gently moved his hands away. “Not tonight, too?” Jinki asked, the fake sadness he had routinely shown tinged with something real.

Jonghyun swept Jinki’s frige from his eyes; he had instructed Jinki once to keep his hair long and unarranged whenever he visited and Jinki had kept it that way ever since. “Not tonight, my dear Onew,” he said in that wonderful soft voice. “You’re tired and injured. I wouldn’t…” His eyes narrowed a bit as he let his hand travel down Jinki’s pale neck, cupping the man’s chin in the end.

“I don’t know what you want by calling me,” Jinki honestly quipped. “If I don’t seem to satisfy you, you could always call for someone else.” The last part was a lie; Jinki wouldn’t want Jonghyun to call for someone else.

Jonghyun chuckled and poured wine for himself before answering. “Onew,” he started. Jinki hadn’t told anyone his real name, even Jonghyun who he liked so much. His roommate Kibum once told him that in this business, it’s easier to live if he was behind a pseudonym. “Onew, you know why I chose you, right?” Jonghyun continued he met Jinki’s eyes. “You sing wonderfully. You are smart and can carry a good discussion with me, something others wouldn’t be able to do. You have the most interesting stories. You never bore me when were together and you definitely satisfy me, if that is what you want to know.”

Jinki played with the edges of his robe, keeping his eyes away from Jonghyun. He had to break eye contact if he wanted to continue with the script. Jonghyun’s eyes were distracting. “But…then you are wasting your precious time here if you’re just looking for a conversation partner.”

His client laughed out loud, catching Jinki by surprise. “I’m definitely not wasting my time,” he insisted. “You’re everything I could ask for, Onew. If I could come every day, I would, but sadly my work is very demanding. Now, see here. I brought you a book.”

Jinki decided that his script to bed Jonghyun (as the owner instructed) wouldn’t work tonight, too. So he just sidled closer to Jonghyun, excitedly peering at the book being unwrapped. “You brought poetry today?” he asked, staring at the beautifully painted cover.

“I was hoping we could read and study a few before I take my leave,” Jonghyun said, untying the ribbon around the book. But before he could open it, they were distracted by a ruckus coming from downstairs.

Jinki excused himself and eased himself away from the low table to approach the door. Slowly, he slid the door open by just a sliver to catch the conversation outside. He recognized the voice of the man from last night and he shivered a bit. The man was demanding the owner to let him take Jinki again, even though she explained that Jinki was bought for the night. There was a loud sound as bottles were smashed, and the remaining clients and workers outside scurried out of the man’s way. As the footsteps echoed louder on the wooden floor, Jinki slid back to Jonghyun’s side, shoulders visibly shaking.

“What’s wrong?” Jonghyun asked, but Jinki only bowed his head and gripped Jonghyun’s suit. “Onew? What’s the problem?” Jinki tried to speak, but could only whimper as the door to their room slid open with a bang.

“What is the meaning of this?!” Jonghyun demanded, his voice suddenly loud and angry. The owner hastily apologized but the other client shushed her and demanded Jonghyun to leave so he could rent Jinki for the night. Jinki couldn’t look at the exchange even though he knew the owner must be glaring at him right now. He closed his eyes as he leaned against Jonghyun’s chest, breathing in relief when Jonghyun’s arm encircled his waist. “I’m sorry, but I’ve already paid for him,” Jonghyun was saying, not even intimidated one bit by the other client. “You may ask, but I shall not oblige, Sir. Now, if you would please leave us alone?”

The client was insistent, but for some reason he only snorted and left. The owner apologized to Jonghyun again before sliding the door closed and running after the angry client. Jinki swallowed, trying to steady his breathing as he straightened up and smiled shakily at Jonghyun. “T…thank you.” He slid away from Jonghyun’s arms and sat up, back straight.

Jonghyun eyed him with furrowed brows, and Jinki felt a bit afraid that his client was angry. Jinki could take it if anyone else but mad, but if Jonghyun got mad at him he wouldn’t…he couldn’t…

“He had no choice but to leave because I knew his father,” Jonghyun suddenly said, breaking his eye contact as he offered Jinki a drink. “If he didn’t let you go I might have to send his father home. Come on and have a drink, you look terrified.”

“You own his father?” Jinki gushed as he drank, making him sputter a bit into the drink.

Jonghyun laughed and patted his back as he coughed. “No, I employ him and he wouldn’t want to mess with me.” Jinki wanted to ask Jonghyun what he did for a living; the client never mentioned it in their conversations. But before he could come up with a question Jonghyun’s face turned solemn again. “Onew…”

“Yes?” Jinki said, looking up at his client curiously, as he drank from his cup once more.

“Was he…was that man the one who did those to you?” Jonghyun asked, his eyes studying the marks on Jinki’s exposed wrists.

Jinki almost dropped his cup in an effort to hide his wrists, but Jonghyun had caught the cup and his hands swiftly. “That is…”

“Did he hurt you?” Jonghyun firmly asked.

Jinki didn’t know what to do. He wasn’t allowed to divulge to clients what other clients do to him. Yet he didn’t want to lie and betray Jonghyun’s clear gaze. He could only return the stare, unblinking, hoping that Jonghyun would drop the discussion. He could feel one of Jonghyun’s hands creeping up to his hair and he could feel tears forming in his eyes, but he still kept silent. He wouldn’t speak. He couldn’t tell Jonghyun of the shameful acts he did with other people. He just wanted Jonghyun to think of himself only and not bother trying to learn of Jinki’s other side.

“I have to go,” Jonghyun suddenly said, face stern. He stood up to leave, but Jinki was quick to tug at his suit.

“W-wait, Sir!” Jinki cried as he hugged the man’s leg. “Why? It’s still early! Are you mad? Are you mad at me, Sir?” The forming tears in his eyes started to flow, running over his makeup and embroidered robes. But instead of shame these tears were of sadness,

Jonghyun was silent for a while before finally sighing and crouching down, hooking his hands under Jinki’s arms to pull the man to stand up. “I’m not mad,” Jonghyun whispered as he held Jinki’s face with both of his hands. “I just remembered I have things to attend to immediately.” He picked up the book by the table and handed it to Jinki. “We didn’t have a chance to read the book tonight.”

“Sir…don’t…”

“I told you. Don’t call me Sir,” Jonghyun said, smiling as he wiped Jinki’s tears with the back of his hand. “Onew, do you like me?”

“Yes, Jonghyun. Very much,” Jinki said without missing a beat. “I like you the most,” he whispered, unsure if Jonghyun would ever believe it. He was instructed to tell every client that he liked them, and Jonghyun might think this was just a routine confession. But he only spoke the truth with Jonghyun. Out of all the people he met, he only trusted and liked Jonghyun.

He almost hoped that Jonghyun felt the same.

“I’m glad,” Jonghyun said, and Jinki suddenly had a feeling that the man was saying goodbye. “Then I’ll get going.” He pulled Jinki into his arms for their usual embrace, but Jinki felt it was different from before. Something changed, and he didn’t know what it was. Silently, he wept onto Jonghyun’s shoulder. He was scared that Jonghyun might not come back, that he had no more to look forward to every end of the week. He was scared of feeling alone again, as he did before Jonghyun came along.

“Jonghyun…” he muttered sadly, fingers refusing to let go of Jonghyun’s sleeves. “Please….”

But Jonghyun only patted his head and slid out of the room quietly, leaving Jinki to sink back onto the floor, tears dropping like rain as he prayed hard that Jonghyun would come back for him again.





Jinki was woken up by the pitter-patter of the rain and a ruckus outside his room. Quickly, he dressed in his morning clothes which, unlike his flamboyant night robe, was a robe worn by common people. As he put up his hair with a piece of thin ribbon, his door was flung open, making him slid off his chair in shock.

“Yah, you cannot just take him!” the owner was screaming. She was saying other things, but Jinki didn’t hear them, for before him stood Jonghyun, who looked very cross.

“Onew,” Jonghyun said, apparently also not listening to the owner’s rambles.

Jinki quickly ducked behind a chair, hiding his face with the sleeve of his short robe. “Sir! S-sir, please, I’m not dressed properly and my face…” He ended his sentence with a yelp as Jonghyun grabbed his arm. “W-wait, Sir?!”

“Onew, it’s Jonghyun, why do you always forget?!” Jonghyun angrily said, and for a moment, Jinki was afraid he had offended the man again. But Jonghyun wasn’t looking at him but rather to the shop’s staff and owner who had come to block his way. Sighing in exasperation but still keeping his hold on Jinki’s arm, he dug up a large bag of coins from his pocket and flung it towards the owner. “Now, do you have any other complaints?”

The owner shook her head, too busy counting the coins to care about anything anymore. The staff tried to stop him, but Jonghyun whisked past them, taking Jinki with him out of the shop.

“Wait, what are you doing?!” Jinki exclaimed as they exited the shop. “My owner… she…” The rain was pouring outside, but Jonghyun deftly opened an umbrella to shield them.

“She is handsomely paid by me, so you don’t have to worry anymore. Where are your slippers?” Jonghyun asked. When Jinki shook his head, the man gestured towards his servant who was waiting by the door. The servant ran inside, then came back carrying Jinki’s thin slippers. “We have to throw those away later,” Jonghyun said, eying the slippers with disdain. “Can you even walk in those?”

Jinki was still confused, especially when Jonghyun asked him to step into the carriage. “What…what have you done?” Jinki asked, searching Jonghyun’s face for anything. “Are you…did I do something wrong? Am I going to be punished?” He stepped back a bit in fear, but Jonghyun pulled him closer so he wouldn’t stray under the umbrella. “Jonghyun, I’m sorry…”

Jonghyun took one look at him and laughed, laughed so hard that Jinki was almost angry. “What are you talking about, Onew?” Then, he crept closer and held Jinki’s face with a hand. “I apologize for not asking permission beforehand, but I bought you.”

“Y-you mean for today? But it’s not even Saturday yet…”

“No, silly. For forever. Sometimes I wonder if you’re really intelligent, Onew.” Even in the strong rain, Jonghyun’s smile was reassuring and warm,.

Jinki couldn’t speak for a while, just staring at Jonghyun with wide eyes and open mouth. He didn’t realize there were tears sliding down his cheeks if not for Jonghyun’s fingers quickly wiping them away. “But….why?” he had to ask.

“Because I really like you, that’s why,” Jonghyun gently said, his voice almost a whisper as he leaned down to meet Jinki’s forehead with his. “So much I can’t take it when there are other men wanting you.” He straightened up and slid his hand on Jinki’s shoulder. “It’s a bit late, but is this alright? Is it alright for me to keep you to myself?” He looked a bit worried. “I’ll…I’ll give you a good home and I’ll teach you everything you want to know.” Jinki held his breath as Jonghyun smiled. “I won’t hurt you, Onew.”

“Jinki.”

“What?” Jonghyun said, straining to hear Jinki’s voice in the rain.

Jinki looked up at Jonghyun as he smiled, one of the rare true smiles he only showed Jonghyun. “My real name. It’s Jinki.”

Jinki could see Jonghyun’s eyes light up at the revelation and he couldn’t help but laugh. “It’s a nice name,” Jonghyun remarked before moving away and offering Jinki his hand. “Well then, Jinki. Will you accept me as a client forever?”

Despite walking out into the rain in only his thin robe and slippers, despite leaving all his possessions behind, and despite being nervous about going somewhere he probably didn’t fit in, Jinki could not possibly have said something opposite to a “Yes.”