I Really Know It, Hyung!

Of Matches and "Aupisthelcus"

I swiftly moves the wooden match from one side of the box to the other, letting the bright fire burst into vision. Somehow, how the light sways lightly from side to side, the fascinating hot bright colours of red and blues and orange, lighting matches calms me. It's like a stress relief, to just sit at a corner and stare at a match.

"Ssol-hyung!" A slightly high pitched voice called my name. As my mind snapped back into reality, I saw a hand waving in front of my eyes and a pair of dark brown eyes staring blankly at my face. A smile breaks onto Chan's face as I grin at him, seeing the younger's adorable face, "What are you doing?"

"Stuff."

"Yeah right, you always play with matches. Watch out not to burn the practice room." Chan puffs up his cheeks, unimpressed, giving me the urge to pinch those cute cheeks of his. I chuckle and ruffle his hair when he touches my hand and pushed my hand away with his silly grin on his face. A weird feeling rises up in my stomach and I felt my face getting strangely hotter.

Maybe it's indigestion. I think and smile the other thought away. I hear Chan whistling, motioning me to come and practice their new dance choreography with Jihoon, Soonyoung and Jisoo. I nod and sprint over in front of the practice room's huge mirror. I stare at the mirror as Jihoon teaches us the moves. I was impressed at how energetic and engrossed Chan were when practicing. I smile softly, feeling proud of my dongsaeng.

 

After practicing for about 7 times the same dance, drenched in sweats, Chan and I goes to the far corner of the practice room to rest. Chan abrubtedly stands up to take his water bottle from the other side before skipping back to his spot beside me before. He gobbled down almost half the bottle, a few drops running down his chin. I laugh softly and raise my hand to wipe the water droplets beside his lips for him. Chan jerks away.

"Uhm...Hyung, I can do it myself!" Chan laughs awkwardly and violently wipe the water off his mouth with his arm, flashing me another assuring grin. He lets out another awkward laugh and dashes towards Dongjin and Seunggwan who also starts practicing the choreography.

I tilt my head in confusion, watching Chan running away. That kid is acting strange. Did I do something wrong? My eyebrows furrows, thinking about Chan's expression before. I nod to myself, something was wrong with Chan.

 

Then, all of Seventeen goes back to the dorm, everyone worked hard on this choreography for our next Seventeen Show. Tsk, what we do for our fans. I dibs the bathroom by sprinting into it and slam the door closed. Letting the water splashing on my body and washing my hair, I think about Chan. His reaction was strange when I tried to wipe the water off for him, his behaviour, everything seems suspicious. I quickly dry my hair and come out of the bathroom, greets with a few nagging from Seungcheol and Doyoon for taking too long.

Because Seventeen are all exhausted from practice, we all go to bed right after washing up. I snuggle closer to my fluffy pillow and warm blankets, it is almost 2AM already and we all have school tomorrow, so I should get some sleep. Yet I can't, I spend the time staring at the ceiling, a faint yellow light casts along the white paint of it, today is Samuel's turn to sleeps in the bed underneath tonight. Suddenly, I hear some shuffles of the bed sheets and the bed creaking, I sneakily peeked down from my bunk bed and see Chan tip toeing out of the room.

"It's so late already, where's he going?" I mumble to myself before climbing down the ladder, following Chan. It turns out he went to the kitchen to get some water, I hide at the side to see if he does anything suspicious. I was expecting something worse, like alcohol or a cigarette, but he takes out a picture after he finished drinking. Chan slumps down onto the floor as I get even more confused. Squinting my eyes to see who's in the picture, it was me!

"Ssol-hyung," Chan trails with a barely audible voice, his eyes dreamy as he stares at the picture, "Do I, a boy, actually like another boy?"

I widen my eyes, my hand covering my mouth to not let a gasp escape. He likes me all along? I scratch the nape of my neck, feeling awkward since I don't see him as a potential lover. Walking small steps towards Chan, I open my mouth to speak but no words comes out.

"Chan-ah." I gather up my courage and whisper his name, whereas Chan quickly hides the picture away with a surprised face. I plaster a forced smile on my face, feeling uncomfortable because I'm about to break his heart. I sit down beside him, calmly pulling his hand that was hiding the picture before and look at it with a blank expression. Chan, on the other hand, seams like he is flabbergasted. 

I place my palm on his face as I smiled softly, "Sorry kiddo... I don't think I can like you that way."

Chan widen his eyes, probably astonished that I know about his feelings before he looks down while fiddling with his fingers. He flashes a toothy grin at me and tilts his head, Chan punches me lightly on the shoulder and laughs hysterically. I stare at him, seeing him all happy again is good, but this kid is seriously going crazy. I don't even know what's wrong with him.

"So hyung, what are you doing here?" Chan pulls his legs up and rests his chin on his knees while looking at me with his puppy eyes. Looking around, I try to find an excuse and see the match box on the counter.

"Matches, of course!" I stutter and dash over to get the match box, waving it happily in front of Chan to which he smirks at. I light one and stare at it. A silence falls between us, nothing awkward, even though I just heard his confession.

"You always light matches like it's the first time you've seen fire. It's not like you're an 'aupisthelcus' or anything!"

I burst into laughter to his confused face. I look at him with wide eyes, raise a brow to see if he knows that he's wrong. Nothing. And I burst into another laughing fit. Chan suddenly gasps and snaps his fingers, "Ah, it's 'australopithecus'! I was wrong!"

"Yeah, you were, smartass!" I wipe a tear from my eyes and realize that Chan scoots closer to me. Awkwardly avoiding, I move away with a laugh.

Another silence fell between us before Chan suddenly laughs with his signature loud cackling, holding onto his stomach. He jokingly pushes me while I am still completely confused about what the heck is wrong with Chan today. I start to get scared, thinking he might have mental disorder. The corners of my lips had no choice but to curve up into a smile, laughing along with Chan.

"Hyung, you seriously don't know what today is?" Chan asks while shaking his head.

I shake my head innocently.

"Happy~ April's Fools!" Chan whispers-shouts in my ear and flails his arms around. He claps his hands like a little child before he looks at me, "Your expression was hilarious! Oh my god, I'm qualified to be an actor. I saw you following me just a while ago, you're not that good at tiptoeing."

"What?"

"It's like 3AM, so it's after midnight already. It's April 1st today!" Chan smirks and put his hands on his hips proudly, knowing he trolled me good. My mind starts processing the statement and I find myself hitting Chan on the head, putting him in a headlock.

"Damn it, you little rascal! You planned this all along, didn't you?" I said through gritted teeth while laughing, "At least I've got something to black mail you with. Aupisthelcus! Just as expected from choding Lee Chan, tsk tsk." I stick my tongue out at him. If I didn't remember that to blackmail him, I could have lost to Chan's prank.

"I know it, hyung! I really do know it!" Chan whines, pursing his bottom lip into a pout.

"Yeah, okay." I chuckle and pat Chan on the , shooing him back to bed. "Come on, go back to our room. We have like four hours to sleep now, nice job Chan."

Chan smirks and whispered a 'no problem' as he walked his way towards their bedroom.

"So, uh, you really don't like me right?" I asks hesitately, earning a small laugh from the latter.

"Of course, I'm not gay, hyung!"


(author's notes) ayo! yes, this was very awkward to write. you all probably thinks it's a romance fic at first, but then because it felt really strange so I decided to change it to friendship fic instead. Because they're both so young, so I guess it's weird to like...Having them confessing each other and all that (plus the fact that I'm younger than them) I hope you enjoyed the oneshot, even if it's poorly written o u o;;