The sweet story

Piano Keys

 

I love playing the piano. I always sneak to our school's music room and play the piano as my pastime. I was composing a song. It was really for my crush, Sungmin. He is so talented. He can sing, dance and play the guitar and piano. His talents are matched with those good looks, making him liked by a lot of students and teachers.

 

Just like any other day, I played the piano. I left the room and checked my bag. I was looking for this new song I was working on, but it was missing. I decided to go back to the piano, but I couldn't when I saw Sungmin came in. He played a verse of One Fine Spring Day. I stood there and listen him play the beautiful melody of a song that seems to calm my soul. It was so beautiful, just as expected from him. After listening to him play, I decided to go already.

 

The following day, I came early and went to the music room where the piano was. I was surprised to see my music sheet stil there,  and saw a short message attached to it.

 

"Please finish the song. I really liked it."

 

Who could've written it? I shaked off whoever that person was and decided to finish the song, but I just couldn't I tried to write some words. Before leaving, I wrote a short message to the person.

 

"Hello. I tried writing lyrics. Please add more. Thanks for liking my song."

 

The following day, I was expecting that the person wouldn't reply bacl, but to my surprise, the writer did. That mysterious person suggested some lines. I tried playing it and it fits. I left another message.

 

"I'm finishing the song already. I hope I could present this to you.."

 

I already wrote some lyrics. It was almost done, thanks to the mysterious writer.

 

The following day, I returned to see what he has written.

 

"Good for you. If you have time, go to the auditorium when you're finished and play this song. If you may also please learn to sing this song."

 

I checked it and it was Falling Slowly from the movie 'Once'. After finishing my song, I practiced the song the person told me to practice. It took me a short time since I love this song too. When it was almost time to go, I left a message.

 

"Tomorrow at the auditorium at 4 pm. Please be there."

 

The following day, I checked if he left a message. He didn't. Maybe he just waited for me in the auditorium instead. I went there and on a stage was a piano. I went to the piano and sat there. I heard a guitar play and a voice started singing.

 

I don't know you

But I want you

All the more for that~

 

I know that voice more than anyone else. I have heard him sing a lot of times, and each time, it makes my heart melt. I turned around and saw him, Lee Sungmin, walking towards me. And just like the song, I sang along with him, our voices harmonizing with each other.

 

Words fall through me

And always fool me
And I can't react
And games that never amount
To more than they're meant
Will play themselves out

Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you have a choice
You'll make it now

Falling slowly sing your melody
I'll sing along~

 

After the song, he sat beside me and smiled. "Sungmin-sshi..." I whispered as I try not to blush in front of him. "I like your voice. It's soothing." He complimented me. "Thanks," was all I could say. I was nervous. I have always been watching him just from afar and now he's beside me. I was about to play the piano but he held my hand. Any moment I could feel myself jumping out of joy. My heart was leaping out of joy for I could not control myself. Who can rightly control herself when you're talking with your crush, right? 

 

"Your song, please play it." He surprisingly said. All this time, it was him who was helping my song. I wanted to sing this to him. I smiled and didn't question him anymore. "This song for someone who makes my heart beat so much." I said without looking at him and began to play the piano.

 

~5 fingers in a hand.

12 numbers on a clock.

2 wheels for a bicycle.

But there things are many things you can't count.

Twins are two, triplets are three but it only takes 2 to form a love.

 

You can't count the number of stars in the sky.

You can't count the number of people in the world.

And I can't count all the reasons why I like you.

60 seconds, 7 days, 4 weeks , 12 months.

I'm certain with these numbers as much I'm certain of what I feel for you.

 

Have you tried counting the sand?

Have you tried tasting air?

Have you ever wondered about the things around you?

Have you ever wondered who likes you?

 

You can't count the number of stars in the sky.

You can't count the number of people in the world.

And I can't count all the reasons why I like you.

60 seconds, 24 hours, 7 days, 4 weeks , 12 months.

I'm certain with these numbers as much I'm certain of what I feel for you.

 

And each night, I'm thankful for a lot of things, many blessings and many graces.

And most of all, I really want to thank for giving me to you.

I cannot touch you. I can only look.

I can count but I can't count a lot of things.

 

You can't count the number of stars in the sky.

You can't count the number of people in the world.

And I can't count all the reasons why I like you.

60 seconds, 7 days, 4 weeks , 12 months.

I'm certain with these numbers as much I'm certain of what I feel for you.

Oh, you know that it's true. I love you.~

 

I finished singing and he clapped for me. I looked away and blushed at his gesture. "Pretty. Who is it for?" He asked. I guess I couldn't control myself anymore as I felt my cheeks burn. "It's for this guy I have always liked from the very beginning." I answered. I saw him hung his head low. I guess something's wrong with him. "A very lucky guy. Have you told him?" He forced a smile. "I have no courage. That's why I just put it in a song. He's a very talented person and I think he wouldn't like my type." I said with a pang hitting my heart, knowing that I couldn't be with him. "Why not?" He asked. "Because I feel that he wanted somebody of his type. " I said, trying not to let my tears fall in front of him. This was such a bittersweet moment as I'm faced with the guy I had loved ever since.

 

"What is his type then? The model type?" He asked with a raised eyebrow. "Maybe I don't know. But whoever that girl is, she's lucky. What about you?" I asked, making him stunned."W-well... I like someone but I recently found out that she likes someone else." He stuttered, which I found cute and at the same time hurtful. He likes someone else, and what's worse is that that girl doesn't like him back. If that was me, I would love him with all my heart.

 

"That's sad. If she only knows what a great guy you are." I wish I was that girl instead. "Have you told her?" I asked him like the foolish girl I am, helping the guy you love get the girl he wants. "I couldn't." He hung his head low again. "Why not?" I asked, scooting closer to him. "I just can't." He said and our eyes met, and the world felt like it stopped again. I decided to look at the piano, avoiding anymore of this pain. " What if you practice to me what you want to tell her." I said. I decided to play 'River Flows In You', as it is one of my favorites. I closed my eyes as I began to play the piano, each key feeling the hurt within my heart. I heard him sigh before he spoke.

 

"I really like you. I just think you don't like me because I have a reputation in school but I really don't care what others think of me. Honestly, I just want you to notice me. It's just too sad that you like someone else. I wish I could be that guy. I love you so much. Do you feel the same way?"

 

He said and I nodded. "It's nice." I said, biting my lower lip as a habit, but now it's my way to prevent myself from letting my tears pour downfall. I continued to play when he suddenly grabbed my hand. "Did you hear me?" He asked me, with me still avoiding eye contact with him.  "I did." And it hurts so much.

 

"What could you say about it?" He even asked me. "She's a lucky girl to be loved by a guy like you." I answered honestly. " Is that all?" I nodded. "Why, do you want me to say something more?" I asked. He sighed and spoke again. "I thought you were listening? Why didn't you answer my question?" He seems to be a little irritatingly cute. "But I answered your questions." I said with my hands playing the piano faster and louder. "You didn't. You didn't answer if you feel the same way."

 

I stopped playing and my fingers froze. He turned me around and our eyes met. I never saw this emotion his eyes were holding. "I wish I could be the guy to whom you dedicated your song too." He said and my eyes widened. "I really like you. My message was for you. I wish you would be happy with the guy you like." He said and was about to stand up, but I held his wrist. "Well, I am. I like you too Sungmin oppa. Love if it's even more appropriate. And that song was for you." I answered him. He turned back to me and smiled.

 

He raised his hand and caressed my cheek. He held my chin and  I closed my eyes as he gently leaned closer to me until our lips met. It feels like a dream but I'm actually awake with the guy I love the most. We kissed as our other hands were together on top of the piano keys....