Chapter 5

Ice Cold

I entered school with Kai and Luhan by each of my sides. I still kept up my cold façade, this time informing my friends. Which they all causally brushed off and let me be. The usual stares were on us as we walk through the hallway. Kai gave flirtatious looks to girls who swooned at one glance. Luhan gave small smiles to the girls calling out his name. Then there was me. Blank faced, not caring for the girls calling out my name and the questions about my sudden cold attitude.

From the end of the hallway, Baekhyun was standing on his toes waving his hand in the air trying to catch our attentions. He stood by our lockers – all of our lockers are next to each other – with the rest of our group of friends.

We quicken our pace towards them ignoring all the other greetings we received.

Once we were a foot away, Baekhyun drops his arm and looks at me. “Why isn’t Jaehee talking to us?” he asks as if they were friends who would exchange words every often.

I didn’t respond to his question. I heave a sigh and look down. Luhan, knowing the situation since he heard the talk between Jaehee and me last night, quickly told Baekhyun what had happened.

 Jaehee and I had an argument about the “Break Up” situation. I wanted to quit pretending about our break up which did not happen. I did not like it when I am not by her side, when I’m not there decreasing the stares she gets from every hormone ragged boy, when everything. I just don’t like it. She, on the other hand, did not want to reveal the fake break up. She was against it without giving me a logical explanation. If she had one, I would have understood why she was so against it. Why she chose to keep it a secret.

Maybe she didn’t like it when I’m always around. Maybe she was sick of me and didn’t want to see me so often. She practically lives with me, I would understand why should would get sick of me so fast. Maybe she lost feelings for me and this is a way to soften the blow. Maybe she thinks that this is part of the bet—

I shake my head pushing the thoughts away. I need to keep myself distracted to not think of scenarios based on her decision.

I turn away from my friends shoving my hands in the pockets of my khaki uniform pants and walk to my classroom. I heard a commotion from inside. It was someone yelling. Based on the high tone voice, it was obviously a girl. Which girl exactly? And who was she yelling at?

I grab a hold of the door knob slowly turning it so it would not make a sound. I slightly push the door open just a crack to see what was going on. There, I see Yoona along with her friends crowding around a desk. From the angle I was looking at, I couldn’t determine which desk and who sat upon it.

My eyebrows furrowed as heard the words slip out of Yoona’s mouth.

“You’re lucky that Sehun oppa was nice enough to actually date you, even if it was just a bet. I mean come on! Who else would want to date someone as ugly and boring as you? You were just a waste of time for Sehun.”

At that statement, I knew they were crowding around Jaehee. I anticipated for her reply but I heard nothing. She kept quiet, letting those girls talk bad about her, letting those girls bring her down. I didn’t go inside until they were done. I knew if I tried to stop them, suspicion would spread throughout the school.

I took my seat next to her and stare at the black board. My friends enter right after me taking the seats around us. They took glances at Jaehee to see if she would have any reaction to them being near. I didn’t want to see her reaction; I didn’t want to know her reaction. She probably didn’t do anything, ignoring them and me.

The school day went on without any interactions. Not even the smallest of glimpse from either of us. I spent the day with my friends and Yoona’s group of friends, trying my best to not explode in front of them from their earlier actions. Yoona kept pestering me at any chance she could even though I would ignore her.

It was the end of school when I found myself in an empty house. Not completely empty since my friends were here along with me hoping to chat up with Jaehee. She was what I was hoping for too. I wanted to hug her and apologize for last night. I was acting irrationally and idiotic. I realize what she was trying to avoid. Drama. She knew if we revealed the secret, there would be a heap of trouble not only for her but for me.

But she was nowhere in sight. I walked in calling her name getting silence as a response. I texted her a couple minutes ago asking if she was at her house, if she was planning on coming over, and if she was still mad at me. Minutes passed and those minutes turned into hours, yet she has not replied any of my messages.

I let out a deep sigh as I took a seat between Kai and Luhan, my two best friends.

My friends were scattered around my living room once again, watching whatever seemed interesting on the television. We were stuck watching Inkigayo.

The clock struck seven, five hours since school ended, still no word from the girl we were all waiting for. My patience was running low. I stood up; my legs carried me to the dining room as my fingers danced across the screen of my phone dialing the number that I have memorized. Placing the phone on my right ear, I can hear it ring. It rung for a good minute before a voice could be heard. It led straight to her voice mail. I let out a groan quickly dialing her number once again only to have the situation repeated. By the fifth time I called, I decided to leave her a message.

“Jaehee! You’re finally here,” Baekhyun’s voice had interrupted before I spoke into the phone.

I quickly place the phone down, holding it tightly in my hand, as I walk back into the living room. Baekhyun wasn’t lying. She was there. Standing by the door, taking her black ballet flats off placing them neatly on the top row of the shoe rack next to my pair of red Converse. Her school uniform was replaced by a pair of white shorts and a big, black Undefeated sweater she wore over a white collared shirt.

I took slow, hesitant steps towards her, letting my feet drag. Once I stood in front of her, I let out a low growl. The grip around my phone tightened. Before I could stop myself, my hand lurched forward wrapping itself around her arm and my legs started moving towards the dining room, dragging her along.

I turn to face her as I still held onto her arm. “Where have you been?” My voice came out like a growl, low and raspy. Without giving her time to answer my question, I began to rant out my rage. I told her about the messages, the waiting, the calls; on how she didn’t answer any of them, which just led me to worry about her. I told her about how I was hoping to see her the moment I stepped through the door. “Where the hell have you been?” I question again.

A sigh escaped her lips and muttered a low apology. Her head hung low as her eyes travel down, looking at the tiled floors. “My phone was kept on silent,” she says. “I went home to see my parents off.”

Then it all came back to me. Her parents were to leave to New York today. It was no wonder why she had a sadden expression. Despite her cold attitude, she had a good relationship with her family.

But this does not make up five hours of the day just to bid your parents a farewell. Even sending them off to the airport would not take up five hours. Barely two hours, which includes travel time.

“It doesn’t take five hours just see your parents off Jae,” I say. I soften up a little with the known fact about her parents’ departure. The grip I had around her arm loosened and I let my hand slid down to her hand winding my fingers in between the spaces of her fingers. In a matter of seconds, I was no longer angry and no longer worried.

“I read somewhere online about this book and I just had to check it out.”

And that explained everything. Her other hand held a green book which I just took notice of. It was no wonder why it took her five hours long. Her obsession for a good novel can really get me crazy. She can spend hours, even days, just looking though the different books a bookstore had in stock. Letting her hand graze the spines of each book before pulling out a book to read the synopsis. If the book was able to spark up her curiosity and interest, she would put its title on her “Must Read List” and put it back to purchase it at another time. She always had a book in mind when she goes to the bookstore but she can’t help it to search for other books also.

“Who am I going to be jealous of now?” I question heaving a sigh as I look down at her.

She gave me a cheeky grin. The grin I knew all too well. She was about to burst in excitement. She was going to tell me every single detail of the book in her possession as her voice would be filled with excitement and joy.

“A Dauntless solider with a number for a name,” she says. “His name is Tobias Eaton also known as Four. Oh gosh, he’s so amazing. Not as amazing as Will Herondale, but amazing!” She let out a dreamy sigh. Her eyes shone with pure bliss as she rambled on about the boy named after a number and showing me pages of her favorite scenes in the book she held which was the second book of series. “Why can’t you be like Four and Will Herondale, Oh Sehun?”

My eye twitched at her question. Does she really like these fictional characters so much?

“Well for starters, you’re not in any situation where you are going to be in grave danger, or throwing yourself off buildings or getting yourself killed in any given moment. Another thing is, you’re not some magical creature who is destined to either destroy the world or save it and I don’t think there is such a thing of Shadowhunters. And again I should mention, these boys you talk fondly of are, without a doubt, fictional characters based on the author’s imagination,” I found myself giving her the lecture I repeated once too many times.

Her lips formed into a childish pout – something I don’t often see other than for moments like this.

“But just to let you know, if you WERE in any of these situations what-so-ever, I would be risking my life just to save you no matter what.” I let go of her hand and trapped her head in my grasp. My hands sliding down from her hair to her jaw, cupping her face lifting it up. Her eyes locking on mine. I lean in, our foreheads against each other and the tip of our noses touching. “I love you so much,” I whispered before leaning in more. My lips attached themselves on hers.  My arms finding their way to her waist circling themselves around her pulling her closer to my body. Her arms latched around my neck also pulling me in. Our eyes closed, enjoying the magic of the moment as our lips slowly moved against each other.  

“Sehun, I’m hung—“

Jaehee jumped back, separating her lips from mine. Her face glowing red. My eyebrows scrunching up showing my annoyance. I scratched the back of my head, ruffling up my hair, in frustration. My eyes dart towards the doorway glaring at the being who dared to interrupt our moment.

Luhan stood there with a pink tinted face. His eyes rounded and his mouth open. His face displayed a mix of emotions. Shocked, amused, and embarrassed. The corners of his lips twitched, curving into a smirk. “I see you two made up.”

 

-----------------------------------
I came back last week Friday but I didn't get to update since I was super tired from the flight and the fact that I only got three hours of sleep the morning before because me and my roommates were having too much fun on the last night. Within the remianing of the days I was finishing and revising this chapter. And since I didn't write the whole trip, I wouldn't be updating anytime soon. Also, school is just around the corner and I'm getting pretty busy right now since I'm doing some services and having meetings that last for like hours. I'm probably not going to update so often or on a regular schedule like I have been (once a week). I'm not going to put this story on haitus because if I do that, I'm going to end up not finishing it like my other story. So please be paitent with me. Thank you!