Chapter 1 - A Brand New Start

Forget Our memories - Contest Entry

"Every new beginning comes from

some other beginning's end"

-Roman Philosopher, Seneca

        

'Taemin, it's time to go now"

Taemin gave a nod in his father's direction. He picked up his baggage and looking back for the last time, he bid the huge house a silent goodbye.

It was a cold rainy day reflecting his emotions. Another goodbye. He thought. He hurried into the car for the fear of being too soaked. The sleek red car pulled out of the driveway almost immediately and sped off quickly.

Sitting in the comfortable leather seats, Taemin stared outside the window, watching as the rain drops pattered lightly on the cold glass. He had to move again. Even though he felt sad, he couldn't help but feel a bit of euphoria this time moving back to Seoul.

It was his home place. Where he spent his first ten years before...

before she died.

He felt depressed again.

He remembered those painful memories again.

Those moanings, cries of pain.

He remembered how her body went limp and he realized that she was dead.

He remembered himself crying at her bedside begging her not to go.

But she would not listen.

The Myocardial disease had claimed her.

I Love you, Taemin. 

Goodbye.

She said before the deadly disease killed her.

"Mother..." he softly whispered

A mother's death is not easy for any person.

It’s even worse for a 15-year old boy who practically only has a mother as a guardian.

It wasn't like he didn't have a father. He did. His father, a Journalist, would travel from different places frequently which meant he could not come home often. His mother was his sole parent. When his mother died, he had seen his father on exactly 25 occasions. He was badly shaken by the death of his mother. It had probably scarred him for the rest of his life. 

 So Taemin followed his father as he travelled around the world, looking for bits and pieces of news and happenings. When his father brought him to new schools, he made friends but he had to leave after a short time due to his father's job. Goodbyes began to frighten him. It always ended in the same way: Forgotten promises, broken bonds and unfulfilled goals.

So he stopped going to school anymore and became cold. He became an empty shell of what used to be a happy-go-lucky boy. He stayed at home and learned by studying famous literature and science books and of course there was the occasional journals done by his father.

Mr Lee Ho Hyun turned to look at his son, who was still staring blankly out of the window.

He then spoke to him," Taemin-ah, I've decided to enrol you in Seoul's Academy of Arts and Literature."

Taemin turned to look at his aged father. He was stunned by the news. But the shock quickly turned into anger.  The trip had suddenly turned into a horrible one.

He clenched his fists and gritted his teeth," What? Father I told-"

Lee Ho Hyun exhaled. 

"Taemin, Listen first, I know you don't like being in schools because, you know because of the moving but I've been talking to my boss to allow us to stay permanently in Seoul. This might be the last time we'll ever move" 

Taemin's anger dissipated upon hearing his father's words.

A smile begun to crept up his face. the prospect of not having to move again, making new friends. Ones that would never leave. it made him so happy that he became dizzy.

There would be no more farewells.

Boy was he wrong.

 

They had reached Seoul on a bright sunny morning. Just as happy as he had felt. The car they used in Seoul was slow and old but he didn't mind. The car finally groaned to a stop at an old mansion. Seeing the mansion brought back many memories both happy and old ones. How long had it been since he had seen this mansion? Two Years?

 He literally jumped off the car. Standing in front of the mansion, he noticed that Daisies and Carnation still grew in the front patio of the house. He smiled at he looked at the blooming beauties. Those flowers were what his mother had planted before her untimely death.

Someone must have been keeping them safe.

He thought.

He continued into the house, reminiscing every moment he had in the house.

That handprint on the wall while baking cakes,

His initials scratched on the table while doing woodwork,

That chipped vase he had accidentally hit.

He went back to his bedroom. Nothing had changed much though, those picture still in their frames hung on the Sky blue walls.

He lay on his bed. He felt comfortable. his was home, truly home. Where he could feel safe and happy. He decided that he would never ever leave this place.