I Choose You!

I Choose You!

Picture is not mine. Got it from Google :)


“Hungry Changhyun! I choose you,” Sheila pretended to throw a poke-ball across the table.

Ricky balled himself up for a split second before stretching himself out as if he really was just freed from a poke-ball, looking around and eating the food on Sheila’s tray while she just watched, laughing.

Sheila and Ricky have been friends since they were 5. They went to kindergarten together, all the way through high school. What makes them even closer is that they are neighbours. They always went to school together, and of course, everyone was envious. She is a pretty geek. He is an adorably handsome boy. But they are not dating. Repeat. They are NOT dating. They are merely best friends. BEST friends.

Sheila got addicted to Pokemon after watching the first season thanks to Ricky. Since then, she had always thought Ricky was adorable like a Pokemon and that he belonged in a poke-ball. Everytime she needed a certain characteristic or habit of Ricky to come out, she would pretend to throw a poke-ball and shout the characteristic that she needed. So far she has come up with Hungry Changhyun, Free Changhyun, Playful Changhyun and Helpful Changhyun. Well, she’s been his friend since he was 5. Of course she would call him Changhyun instead of Ricky. Hyunnie sometimes or Changie. Chang-chang just to piss him off.

Of course, she used Hungry Changhyun the most, seeing as how she eats very little and he…. Well let’s just say he’s a growing boy. Although he would very much like to disagree. Everytime he sees Sheila, she’s munching.

“You’re always munching when I look at you. Why do you say you have a small appetite?”

“Because I have a small appetite.”

“But you’re always eating.”

“Doesn’t mean I have a big appetite.”

“What does it mean then?”

“Means I have a quick appetite.”

“I see no difference”

“Someone with a big appetite is someone who eats a lot.”

“Which you do”

“I eat a lot of times.”

“I still see no difference.”

“I eat a lot of times but very little each time. Then I become full. And I get hungry again shortly after”

“Still no difference to me.”

“I give up.”

And that was how the conversation went when the topic on Sheila’s appetite was raised by a rather unhappy Hungry Changhyun.

Ohh! Did I mention? Ricky is part of one of the hottest K-pop boy bands, Teen Top. He’s the fake maknae, although he prefers the term Visual Maknae.

[a/n: I’m not sure if he actually does. I just call him that ‘coz he’s grown to be real pretty now. Have you seen his latest selca and TTOA video? His features are so chiseled now. His face more elongated. He’s just really pretty.]

So anyway, that day after school, Ricky was heading to TOP Media building, his company. Sheila as always followed him. They were walking and joking and Sheila was walking backwards teasing him about his crush.

“So! How are you and pretty ‘lil Shireen?"

“I don’t see the significance of that question.”

“Oh don’t play dumb with me, Hyunnie. Wait no. You don’t have to play dumb. You already are! Alright Imma spell it out fo ya. You, my dear boy, have a little crush on Pretty Shireen. So the question now is, have you made your move yet?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. I have no crush.”

“Yes you do. I’m not you. Hence, I’m not dumb.”

“Stop calling me dumb. I’m not dumb.”

“Yes you are. You are Dumb Hyun. AHH!”

Sheila tripped and fell on her back. Silence ensued for a while before…

“HYAK HYAK HYAK! That’s… What… You… Get… HYAK HYAK HYAK! For calling… THE Yoo Chang Hyun… dumb! HYAK HYAK HYAK!”

[a/n: I’m just trying to imitate Ricky’s annoyingly adorable little laugh]

 

 

 

“Tsk! A little help would be nice though.”

“Uhmm… How about no?”

“Helpful Changhyun! I choose you,” Sheila threw an air poke-ball.

Ricky continued laughing until tears came out.

“YAH! Helpful Changhyun! Where are you?!”

“Uhmm.. No.”

“Fine!”

Sheila got up and stormed off. Ricky quickly walked in front of Sheila and crouched in front of her like he’s in a ball trying to get out. Then he stood up and looked down at the spot where he crouched.

“Helpful Changhyun wants to get out!”

“I don’t need him anymore.”

Ricky crouched, and stood up again, “Are you seriously going to coop him up like that? It’s Pokemon abuse!”

“Uhmm.. I don’t care. Helpful Changhyun didn’t want to come out when I needed him to. Now I don’t need him.”
“This is Pokemon abuse! I will report to the authority!”

“Go ahead. I’ll be waiting at the studio.”

They continued the banter until they reached the building and entered the office.

“Hey Shils! How’s my favourite dongsaeng today?”

“Chanhee Oppa! I miss you,” Sheila pouted to emphasize her point.

“Aww. I miss you too,” Chunji ruffled her hair

“Hyung! Sheila is a Pokemon abuser,” Ricky stormed in and interrupted the lovely reunion.

“Huh?”

“She’s abusing Pokemons!”

“Huh?”

“She’s cooping up Pokemons when they want to be free!”

“Huh?”

“Helpful Changhyun wants to come out and she’s not letting him!”

“He didn’t want to come out when I needed his help. Now that I don’t need him anymore why should I take him out?”

“Sheila’s right. She doesn’t need Helpful Changhyun anymore. No point letting him out,” Changjo who had just arrived butted in and defended Sheila. The members got used to Sheila randomly throwing poke-balls and calling Ricky like a Pokemon.

“Alright! It seems YOUR member is on MY side, Mr. Yoo Chang Hyun,” Sheila high-fived Changjo.

“YAH! Choi Jonghyun! You’re supposed to be on MY side!”

Changjo simply shrugged

“You’ve never been on my side.”

“I’m on the right side. You’ve never been right. Hence.”

“But I am right this time!”

“No you’re not,” Sheila said

“No you’re not,” Changjo repeated

“No you’re not,” Chunji who was still clueless joined in just to annoy Ricky.

“What is he not right about this time,” Niel asked, putting his bag down.

“Pokemon,” Changjo said.

“Oh. No you’re not.”

“Hyung! How would you know if I’m right or wrong?”

“You’re never right about Pokemon. And everyone says you’re wrong. So you’re wrong,” Niel shrugged.

“AHH! How do I live with you guys?!”

“Good question.”

“Guys stop it. We’ve got a very important event to discuss. The Gangwon Festival. Niel won’t be there,” Leader CAP tried to stop the argument.

“Yeah, Hyung! I’m so disappointed in you. How could you leave us for another group,” Ricky tried to get back at Niel.

“Baekpo Hyung-deul needs me more. And I love Baekpo Hyung-deul”

“You don’t love us?”

“I love ALL of Baekpo Hyung-deul. There’s someone in Teen Top I don’t like.”

“Who?”

“This boy… What’s his name? Ahh! He has a rather weird name… Wait, let me think… AHH! Yoo Chang Hyun! That’s right!”

Ricky stormed his feet and whined while the rest of Teen Top and Sheila laughed at their playful banter. Everyone knew they were just kidding. Ricky and Niel are like brothers. Niel dotes on Ricky and Ricky looks up to Niel. They are pretty much inseparable.

“Alright. So what’ll happen to Niel’s parts,” Chunji asked. “YAH! Byunghun! Stop sleeping and help out here. Sleeping’s supposed to be Minsoo Hyung’s job. Not yours,” Chunji hit L.Joe who was dozing off in his seat throughout the whole scene.

“I’ve got a suggestion,” Niel raised his hand. “We have 3 other vocalists here. Chanhee Hyung, Changhyun and Jonghyun. You guys are going to perform 3 songs, right? So why not each of you take one song each?”

“Great idea,” Chunji agreed.

“No! I can’t sing! The two of you take turns. I’ll just sing my own parts,” Ricky flat-out rejected the suggestion.

“Oh come on, Ricky, you can do it! Remember the concert? Fans loved your voice! Let them hear more Ricky,” Chunji encouraged Ricky.

“No. What if my voice cracks? Or I sing out of pitch? Or I forget the lines? I’ll ruin the performance.”

“Come on Ricky! You can do it! We believe in you. I wouldn’t even suggest it if we didn’t. Come on. Prove me right, bro,” Niel tried his luck.

“What if I ruin the performance?”

“Hey, I didn’t call Coward Changhyun out. Why are you out? Are you going against your master,” Sheila said before anyone could speak.

“YAH! I’m not a coward!”

“Action speaks louder than words.”

“I’m not!”

“Prove it.”

“Fine! I’ll do it!”

“Whoa, Shils. You’re good,” Chunji said in awe.

“What can I say, I’ve got skills,” Sheila shrugged. [a/n: my friend says this a lot too. Although she's just in denial. xD]

“Alright. Let’s go record our parts then we can practise the dance,” CAP stood up and left the office, followed by s.

They all went to the recording studio and started recording their own parts including the parts they would cover. They had picked Changjo to cover Niel’s parts in Be Ma Girl and Chunji to cover Walk By. Ricky would cover Miss Right, since Niel had the least part there, and Chunji and Changjo had quite a number of lines.

When it was Ricky’s turn, he nervously went inside the recording room and started fidgeting. He kept singing off-pitch and at the wrong timing, because he was so nervous. After a while, Sheila called Ricky out and talked to him in private while the others continued recording.

“Come on, Hyunnie. Is that all you’ve got?”

“I’m nervous. I’m covering Niel Hyung. He’s the main vocalist. Have you heard his voice? How can I cover him?”

“I heard you at your concert. And damn, you were awesome.”

“That was the concert. I had a lot of practice.”

“This is practice.”

“But I’m covering Niel Hyung!”

“So you’re saying Alex doesn’t have a nice voice?”

“He does!”

“But you covered his song in your concert. You’re saying Niel Oppa has a nicer voice than Alex?”

“No.”

“Then I don’t see the problem here. Look. Why are you here? What is your purpose of being here? Being part of Teen Top? Heck why did you even audition if you’re not going to sing? Now you’ve got a chance to sing, why not grab it? Niel Oppa and Chanhee Oppa are supporting you. Even Jonghyun is rooting for you. Don’t disappoint them. Don’t disappoint your fans who have always wanted to hear your voice.”

Ricky sighed defeatedly, “Alright fine. I’ll do it.”

“That’s my boy. Singing Changhyun! I choose you,” Sheila opened the door to the recording studio and threw a poke-ball in.

Ricky looked at her in disbelief while the rest gave them confused looks. Sheila just grinned and plopped onto the couch while Ricky when to the recording director.

“Hyung, I want to try again.”

“You sure?”

“Yeah. I wanna prove to everyone that I’m a singer.”

“Attaboy.”

Ricky went in and his recording this time was successful. Not even the slightest mistake. Everyone was surprised by the sudden transformation. Chunji turned to you.

“Damn girl, you’re really good. You should be his personal coach or something.”

“Uhmm. No. Seeing him everyday is more than enough for me. I don’t need to respond to his every whim.”

“What’d you say to him.”

“Ask him yourself,” Sheila shrugged and walked off to congratulate Ricky who was coming out of the recording room. “I take it you’re ready for the performance?”

“I’ll need to recharge first.”

“Singing Changhyun! Return!”

Ricky balled himself up and Sheila pretended to take a Poke-ball from the ground and put it in her pocket.

When they were done, they went to practise the dance while Niel went to practise with 100% another group from the same company for Immortal Song 2. The recordings happened to be on the same day, which was why Niel could not perform with the rest of Teen Top. That was the schedule everyday up until the day of the performance itself. Sheila joined the members backstage and 5 minutes before their turn, Sheila did not forget to call out Singing Changhyun and give constant encouragement.

“Remember, I called out Singing Changhyun. Not Coward Changhyun. Go show the audience what Singing Changhyun can do.”

Do you even need to know what happened? Just watch the videos.

 

Walk By with Chunji covering Niel

 

 

 

Be Ma Girl with Changjo covering Niel

 

 

 

And finally,

Miss Right with Ricky covering Niel