Coffee Angel

Coffee Angel

“Welcome” I greet my guest that just came in. He come again, I think, that guy always come at 7 in the morning, the sit down at the outdoor sofa from our Café’s balcony. Came with only a bag of laptop in his hand, he opens his laptop and start to work.

“As usual sir?” I asked as I stand at the side of his table.

“Yes, as usual.” He answered without even looking at me, because he was focusing on his laptop in front of him.

As usual, I made him waffles, 2 pieces, I pour a mixture of honey and maple syrup ont top and for the toppings are vanilla ice crea,, choco chip sprinkle and garnished with 2 fresh strawberries. And for the drink a Vanilla latte, he loves sweet things I think, and also a mineral water. That’s what he always ordered.

Then I deliver the order to his table. For the next two hours,  he will keep getting busy with his laptop while finishing his breakfast. He will leave the it’s 9 o’clock. That’s his routine every morning except for the weekend.

I don’t really know why, but I think I understand why he choose our café, maybe because we’re still new, not much customer yet, and in the morning he can work without getting too noisy here. I heard from my co-worker, he’s a singer and a composer. I don’t know, I don’t recognize him as a singer because I don’t watch tv a lot, and the music that playing in this café are mostly instruments only. Sometime I can hear him mumbling some tones that aren’t perfect yet, I think he still composing it.

“Maybe because he loves my waffle..” I joke to my friend, Hyena, Hyena immediately sighing and make her ugly face to me, “Owha.. sis.. where is that confidence coming from?”… and I can only reply with a smile.

His absence to our café everyday and only ordering my own-made waffle makes mw wondering and interested to this customer. And because this café is very quiet and not much customer in the morning, often I got daydream while watching him working. I can see he’s waving his finger following the melody that is played from his laptop. At once he will type something too. A headset on his head, and he mumbles the melody a little bit at a time.

It’s already 9 o’clock, soon he’ll leave. And there it is, he look to his black watch, and tidies up his stuffs to leave. And as usual too, he eats the 2 fresh strawberries garnish at the very end before leaving. He comes to Hyena who works as the cashier. “Thank you.” He said to Hyena very politely. “Please come back again.” Hyena replied, of course, he will always be back, I talk inside my head.

(My name is Sara. Now I’m 24 years old, I’m a last semester student and I’m finishing my final thesis. In the morning I work part time in a small café that’s not even famous yet. Well, probably will never be famous, because it’s so not strategic and it’s hidden behind a super tall apartment building in front of it. I work there only until 2 PM. After that I will go to the apartment building to clean up one of the room. It’s on the 15th floor, all that I know that the owner is a celebrity, I don’t know whether she’s a singer or an actress, her name is Kim Sunhye, I saw a big poster posted on the wall of her room, and so many pictures of herself in that apartment room. I always came to that apartment after work from the café, I clean up the room and also sometime I prepare a dinner if she asked me from the note she left at the refrigerator door. And when it’s 5 PM, I will leave to the university.

“Good... no cooking today” I mumbled in happiness seeing no notes at the refrigerator door. That means I have more time to rest. I immediately leave after locking all the door and windows and give the keys back to the receptionist.

In the class, I’m so not focusing with the lesson now, in my head, I keep thinking about our café’s customer, that guy. It’s been 2 months since he first came and now I feel something different toward him. Something that’s so disturbing in my stomach and heart. I grab my phone and send Hyena a text, “Hyena, do you know the name of that composer customer? The one that likes my waffle?” I typed, then send.. a minute later, my phone’s vibrating, it’s Hyena’s reply, “Sam Carter of Lunafly, try search it on naver.”

Owh yeah… As I guessed, his name is not even a Korean, but he speaks Korean so good. Further I think, if I only search  his name, I will get thousands of people with the same name. Thankfully she gave me that Luna something to search. When I back to my sense, the lecturer is ending the class. I really couldn’t listen today’s lesson at all.

On my way home, I’m so curious and decided to go to a PCbang (internet rental). When I got my place, I open naver immediately and search for his name. Fastly I type, Sam Carter Lunafly. There were so many news about him, and the picture, I immediately recognize him. Right, he’s quite famous among foreign fans. I look at his bio but I saw his sns pages and try to open his facebook read his last post. Apparently he’s not online there for such a long time. The last time was exactly 2 monts ago, right after his first visit  to our cafe. Well, he is busy as I see. Maybe he doesn’t have time to online anymore I think. Then I decided to go home.

I’m hungry. I open up my refrigerator; there I could only found some vary of kimchi, spinach and carrot. So I just make a simple bibimbap with egg.

Days pass by with the same routines, every day, every time he come, I put more and more attention to him and I became more and more liking him

“Here’s your waffle” I said as I put the plate. “Thank you” he said and smiled, I just realize he’s very handsome when he smile, you can see his smiling line around his nose and mouth that make him looks so sweet.

“Hold on…” He said calling me,

“Yes?..” I was so shock.

“Are you busy?” he asked me while his eyes looking throughout the café.

“Well, as you can see, no customer but you. No, I’m not busy then. Can I help you?” I answered.

He made a small smiled, “Yes of course, I can see that. Can you do me a favor?”.

“Me?” I still wasn’t sure with what I heard..

Suddenly he moves aside and tapping the empty part of the sofa beside him, gesturing me to sit there. I step closer and sit right by his side. My heart was beating so fast. It feels like my heart was about to jump out through my throat.

“Would you try to listen to this, and I need your opinion.” He explained.

A melody flows from his laptop, then he sing. A song about a guy who loves a woman but he can’t tell to that girl. I feel like that song is the reflection of my heart now. I feel like he sings it for me. I was amazed and couldn’t control my expression while listen him singing.

“How is it?” he asked with curious stare right into my eyes.

I can feel my cheek blushes and got hotter because of his stare. “That’s good, I like it, the feeling is so deep, the melody is interesting. The man sounds so depressed, but also full of hopes …” I answered.

“hahahahaha…” suddenly he’s laughing after my opinion.

“What so funny? Why? Something’s wrong?.. Sorry I’m not good at making opinion about songs..” I said weakly, still confuse why he laughed at me.

“No, I wasn’t laughing for that. In fact, I love hearing your opinion. Because that’s exactly what I feel when making this song.”

“Really?..” I can feel my face getting hotter and hotters, I am so sure that my face is like a tomato by now.

“Thanks for helping me, Sara..” he said.

WHAT??.. did he just said my nae? How can he knows?.. I couldn’t hide my shocking face. And soon he realize it, he pointed to my left chest. My eyes were following to the direction. Of course… how stupid I am… of course he knows it from reading my name tag in this uniform.

“You’re welcome. Nice I could help you. I’m gonna back to work now.” I answered, trying to look as calm as possible. But deep inside, I feel like I wanna jump high from happiness. Someone I got a crush on in secret, finally I chat with him more than just saying waffle order, and he knows my name.

“Sis, are you okay?” Hyena confuse seeing me smiling like crazy by myself. Hyena doesn’t understand, because I never tell her that I like that our special customer too.

“It’s okay, I’m fine” I answered shortly and continue my work with happiest feeling in my life.

Days went by and that thing happens over and over again. He always asks my opinion about other songs he composes now. And the chat goes more intimate, both of us didn’t realize we actually never officially introduce ourselves one to another. But I’m happy enough knowing someone I love is becoming closer like a friend to me. He’s not an arrogant celebrity, I think. Though still, I have hesitation in my heart. Will he ever realize my true feeling? The gap between us is so deep. Well, we both are mix breed foreigners, but he’s a celebrity in a big city of Seoul, while me? I’m just a poor girl who’s having a scholarship to school here in this big city, my parents live in this country too, but my family is just a poor fisherman family. I avoid thinking about this feeling further more and just being thankful for this feeling and for the friendship we have now.

One afternoon, as usual I go to Kim Sunhye’s apartment, today she’s sick so she’s staying in her room and asked me to stay a bit longer to accompany her. I agreed because there will be no class anyway. I let her rest in her room while I clean up outside.

The door bell rings, Sunhye got the door because I was washing the dishes. “I got a song for you..” I can hear a man voice at the front door. The voice sounds familiar in my ear, but who? I try to think hard. But I couldn’t think of anyone at that time. Then suddenly it became so silent. Seems like Sunhye and her guest are chatting inside the room.

“Sara.. come here please” Sunhye calls me,

I knocked and enter Sunhye’s room. “Would please make porridge for my dinner?” she asks. I nod, but my eyes are looking to the familiar back of the guy sitting there. He was focusing on his laptop. I couldn’t see his face.

I go out and make porridge. When it’s done, I deliver it to Sunhye’s room. I was so shock looking at both of them is hugging each other, I feel so embarrass like I was busting them doing something I interrupted. With my trembling hands I put the food tray by the side of the bed.

Suddenly I hear a song I know so well from that guy’s laptop. I turn my back to see, and those eyes are looking at me too.

“Sara?..”

“Sam?” both of us are shocked.

“You guys know each other?” Sunhye asked us.

I only nod but then leave the room without saying .

I rush myself to get my stuffs and tell Sunhye I’m about to leave.

“I’m gonna go now, since you got someone to accompany.” I said weekly.

“Oh.. okay.. thank for today. Arrive save!” Sunhye said friendly. She is a friendly person, very kind and generous, who wouldn’t love her? I got a mixture of emotions. Is this what they called as jealous? I don’t understand.. I don’t even know my own feeling now. So chaos.

Suddenly I got a call from my father telling that my mom is sick. I must go home to Mokpo by that night. Then I immediately leave straight away for catching the last train. I was so panicking so I could only text my boss at the café, and tell Hyena to clean up Sunhye’s room while I’m gone. Of course, she can have her pay fairly. All the way in the bus, I keep worrying about my mother, I totally got distracted and forgetting about my broken heart.

My mom’s sickness is pretty serious now, so I decided to stay at my hometown for 2 weeks. Because of taking care her I totally forgot of my own problem. All I think is her. Even I let my phone dead because I forgot to bring charger when I packed in hurry.  But I don’t want to be an ungrateful person, taking advantage of Hyena and my boss’ kindness, they let me leave for two weeks, but also because I have college to attend, I don’t want them to cancel my scholarship.

Wearing this café’s uniform again, reminds me to Sam again and also that incident at the apartment. Hyena come in rush and running because she almost late for her shift. She can’t even take her breath well.

“Oh.. finally you’re back” she said while catching her breath.

“Uh-huh..” I smiled. “Ah, Hyena.. thank you..”

“you’re welcome. By the way, I have something for you” Hyena  said while fixing her uniform collar, she gave me a pile of tissues, I count, there’re 9 sheets and each of it has messages on.

“There, I put the date and day… just in case I put it in a mess, I still can give it to you right in order”.. Hyena explains, she knows I’m confuse about this.

“From who?” I asked

“One of our customer.. Just read it”.. Hyena makes a big teasing smile to me.

Impatiently I open and read it one by one.

1. “today’s waffle taste so different. I want your waffle again. The one you always made for me. I’m sorry about yesterday afternoon.” ~Sam.~

2. “Will you forgive me?” ~Sam.~

3. “Where are you? Am I not forgiven?” ~Sam.~

4. “I am so tortured by this waffle taste, when will it be over? When will you stop punishing me?” ~Sam.~

I read it and a small smile drawn on my face. Then I count the day when I leave Seoul to my hometown. I went on Monday, that means those tissues count from the next day, and he always absent on weekend.

5. “I just realize that I’m losing something precious in my life”. ~Sam.~

6. “I realize and admit something, I LOVE YOU, please forgive me.” ~Sam.~

I stop reading it because I nearly cry out loud, “Hyena, you didn’t tell him that I went to my hometown did you?” suddenly I got curious.

“’Of course not, as you ordered~, I just said that you work in other shift and uncertain schedule. Can’t you see how stressful he is because he couldn’t see you for days?” said Hyena. I was speechless and continue to read it.

7. “Can we meet? Do you hate me so much to read my message? Or you friend never give you this message? Please, I beg you..” ~Sam.~

8. “Meet me tonight at the town park 9.30 PM, I will hide around the swing.” ~Sam.~

9. “You didn’t come to see me last night. I know, I deserve not to be forgiven.” ~Sam.~

My tears fell as I read that. I want to tell him how I feel, that I like, no I love him too. I want to hear his explanations about that night too. And … I want to forgive him. But today and tomorrow, he won’t come because this is weekend.

Sunday feels very very long. Hyena isn’t coming because today is her day off. Also in the afternoon, Sunhye is out of town for a shoot. Her apartment feels so quiet and lonely now. I still remembering the messages I got from Sam. Even the night, still it feels like a very looooong day. I’m waiting for Monday so badly, so I can see him again and I want to tell him lots of things.

Time is showing 8 AM, “Well, this is so not usual.. won’t he come?..” I think. I feel like I’m gonna cry, I don’t what to do. I don’t even know why, I’m not good at guessing my own feeling. I’m stupid right? Maybe..

It’s 1 PM, Hyena just came because she’s having noon shift. She was hurriedly runs toward me. “Sara, I got a bad news.. what happen with your d*mn phone? Why can’t I contact you?” Hyena interrogating me. I just realize that my phone was on vibrate mode and I left it inside my bag and I put it inside the locker. “What bad news? What’s going on?” I replied in curiosity.

“Sam.. he got an accident.. seems really bad.. now he’s at the hospital” Hyena said.

I was shock and speechless.. no words could come out.. I don’t even know how to responda.. My tears flowing, my head hurts and I feel so dizzy..

I decided to visit him at the hospital. On the way, I drop by to a flower shop and buy a bouquet of Calla lily and a card. Then I move on to the hospital.

Heading to his room, so many bodyguards guarding around, I can’t see him. I changed my mind and go back to cafe. It’s not working time yet, so I just sit down at the coffee table at the kitchen.

Slowly I stand up and walk to the coffee stockroom at the basement. There I cried all my heart out. When I’m done crying, I wrote something in the blank card I bought.

“Sam, I forgive you, I love you too, I’m sorry I was leaving and made you worried. I no longer avoiding you, I want to hear your explanations, I want to hear the songs you made again. I will wait at City park every night at 9.30 AM until you discharged and come to see me.”

I put the card and flower on top of coffee chest that I sit on. Covering my face with handkerchief, I cried again feeling regrets. I’m afraid something bad happen to him because of the accident and I can’t tell everything I want him to hear.

The next day, I come to the hospital again. The flowers are still fresh. I can only give the flower to the bodyguard at VIP room. He then detect is there any bomb or weapon or hidden camera inside.

I leave in heavy steps. I do my routine again for today and every night I start going to city park. Waiting.. Waiting for someone I don’t know when and will he ever come. Will he read my message? My bouquet must be buried with other fans’ flowers. Now I understand his feeling when write those messages to me.

This is the 5th night I wait for him at city park. I sat on the swing. It’s showing 10.30 PM. Slowly tears flowing, “he’s not coming again” I nearly give up.

Suddenly a cold hand covering my eyes, while the other hand wrap around my neck as back hug.

“Who’s this?” I asked in curiosity and a little bit fear, just in case this person is a ert criminal.

“I love you” a man’s voice is heard from behind. I know this voice. I cried. He lets go his hand from my eyes and back-hugging me tightly.

“Sam.. I love you..and I’m sorry..” I said while stuttering from crying …

“sssssstt.. I know.. I read your message..” he said while walking so now he stands in font of me. “The flower you sent, it’s so unique, also the card, it smells like coffee.. then I knew it was from you..” he said smiling to me.

I hold my laugh because I was in the middle of crying. A weird mixture feeling.. I just remembered, I wrote that card at the stockroom and maybe the coffee chest smell sticks on the card.

I hug him tightly. That night Sam confesses his love to me.. Even though we can’t date like a normal people, because we don’t know will the fans support or mad about this. Finally he also explained that Sunhye is not more than a noona to him.

I’m happy enough with these conditions. Only Hyena and Sunhye know about us.

Forever love you…