oo1

In Love with an Empty Shell

“Jae! Come here for a sec!” he heard his brother call out over the loud noise their guests were making that even he was amazed he could hear his brother. “I have a present to give you.”

For ten-year old little Jaejoong, opening the presents given to him on his birthday parties is his favourite part of the celebration, and being disturbed from opening them was a big no-no, but since it was his brother, with that certain something called ‘present’ he let it slide.

Jaejoong got up from opening his presents and stood in the center of the living room, scanning around for his older brother, and then frowned when he didn’t see hair nor sign of his brother. “Hyung, where are you?” he yelled at the top of his voice that some of the guests near him stared and had the ‘is he crazy or something’ look.

“I’m here in the smaller living room my cute dongsaeng.” He shuddered at the endearment his older brother used.

After being raised in an environment where he was called cute all the time, as well as where the land he walked on was worshipped, for short, spoiled, he was used to being called that, however, with unknown reasons, whenever it was his brother who said it, he hated it. Like really hated it. Whenever the word ‘cute’ came out of his brother’s mouth, it always had a mocking and insulting effect instead.

He was still frowning when he reached the smaller living room which was across the main one, and in he saw a man standing beside a huge box with a bow wrapped around it and he couldn’t help but blink at the box while approaching the man.

“Changmin hyung!” he stomped up at the man who was busy on the phone. Jaejoong huffed, almost wanting to voice out that it was rude to call someone out then be on the phone when they arrive, but this was his brother, his sarcastic of a bastard brother.

He learned the language and name calling from his older brother, so never wonder why he knows how to be this bratty at the age of ten.

The man had turned his body a bit and noticed the smaller figure. The then burst into a smile and through the phone he was holding to the nearest couch. Jaejoong sighed and looked at the phone, still hearing buzzing and rumbling sounds, which indicated that whoever his brother was talking to on the phone earlier didn’t know that the one he was talking to had thrown the phone and was talking to air instead.



Jaejoong gave another sigh but then forgot about the phone when his eyes landed on the huge box again. “Like it?” he heard his older brother say, resulting to the younger of the two turning his head a bit, and that was when he noticed that the box was a lot taller than his older brother. What kind of gift was it?

“Whoa hyung,” Jaejoong breathed as he eyed the huge box from top to bottom. “That is one huge present.” A slight pause. “Not that I’m complaining, but really, what kind of gift is it that it requires such a huge box.” Jaejoong glanced at his brother’s height and the box’s height again. “And a taller box than you at that.”

His brother had the gall to look hurt. The bastard. “Ouch! Jae!” he intentionally mentioned the height thing since he knew his brother had a height complex and literally disliked anything and anyone taller than him. Hell, he even hated doors that he literally had to hear his brother swear every time he walks through one.

A memory of his then fifteen year old brother flashed through his mind. He was in a daycare back then because his parents didn’t want him with a nanny, because of a terrible experience with a nanny when he was three. He was kidnapped back then and needed a ransom of 25 million won, and since then, his parents never trusted nannies.

There was a time his brother was there to pick him up, but was kicked out as soon as he entered for swearing at the doors and kicking the nearby lamp that was beside the door. And guess why. He swore at the doors and kicked the lamp because of the height difference.

“Anyway,” his brother coughed. “setting aside the fact that you just insulted the great me,” oh, and was it ever mentioned that his brother was a narcissistic bastard? “I will let it slide for now.” Jaejoong smirked. Even if he didn’t like it, brothers are brothers. They do the same thing. He thought, recalling that he also let his brother go after the older man disturbed him from opening his gifts earlier.

Jaejoong crossed his arms. “What is it hyung?” the question was asked rushed and curtly since Jaejoong didn’t want to waste his time on his older brother’s nonsense that day and head back to the main living room to open his presents. He gave a glare at the older man when his brother ruffled his neatly combed hair. “Aww, Joongie, no need to be like that.” His brother cooed. Ew. He wanted to puke. And he should. Happily on his brother’s face. “Okay, dear brother, enough stalling. Do you even want to see it or not?” the younger of the two just nodded, and it earned him a cheek rub with his older brother. “Oh Joongie! I knew you’d like it.”

They were brothers. Yes. He had to understand it. Seriously. He knows his brother loves him, and he looked back at his brothers actions through the years, and came to a decision that the older man loved him. But right now, Jaejoong really wanted to strangle his older brother with the small hands he had and remove the living daylights out of him. But since it was his birthday, and his brother was just showing his love, he had to understand and hold his hands back.

“This thing here,” his brother patted the box and then looked at it, however, Changmin swore once more and Jaejoong just ignored it with a sigh. Stupid hyung. His brother let out another cough. “Is a gift from your precious opp– ouch” without letting his brother finish his sentence, he knew what he was going to say.

He knew his brother’s relationship with girls since he’s heard their mother and father scold him for being a player or whatnot, and so Changmin decided to stay home and get away from girls and doted on Jaejoong, but that was not really the reason why he doted on his brother. The younger had realized that one of the reasons why his brother loved him is that…his face was girly.

Jaejoong was a boy, and yes, he knew that, but being the smart that he was, he knew how his face resembled a girl’s, well, not really. He has heard a few housemaids say that his face was even prettier than a girl’s, and so, like his brother, he also has a complex, and it’s his face. His girly face.

“I’m a boy, idiot hyung.” He said with an irritated tone after stomping on his brother’s foot. Changmin chuckled. “Ah yes, of course. It’s just because my beauti—ouch! Cu—ouch! Dongsaeng is too pretty that I forgot I was a hyung instead of an oppa. Sorry Jae.” Another cough. “Alright, never mind the long introduction the great me has come up for himself and let us concentrate on the present over here.” Changmin looked at the box again and swore. Jaejoong sighed again. This is getting us nowhere.

And finally, Jaejoong saw Changmin hold a string and saw the older man tug on it, pulling the lid off with an invisible string Jaejoong was too lazy to see, and the other four corners fell.

The younger stared at what was revealed.

At first, he thought it was some gigantic toy, a jungle series where he had to set up a lot of things, or whatnot, but this was not what he expected.

When the four corners of the box fell, Jaejoong’s eyes widened. He was totally expecting a toy…

Not some human inside a box.

“What the heck?”

 

 

 

 

|| A.N.: Ew, I freaking at summaries, like seriously

P.S.: Please don't translate into another language or plagiarize, or else, I will sic my dogs on you. LITERALLY. I do apologize for some errors my dear readers might encounter. LOL, I just copied my author's notes and ps from the original file XD ||