Smooth Chocolate

Glocks and Giraffes

Soojung had encountered mobsters, murderers, gang leaders, and even rogue agents, all of whom had been classified as highly dangerous, and she had faced down and dispatched them all with consummate ease. She thought she had seen them all, but apparently she was mistaken.

Never before had she seen such a force so threatening, so frightening, and so powerful as a mass of rabid fangirls.

A huge crowd had gathered in front of the building, one massive, writhing blob at war with itself. They shoved and screamed and squealed and shoved some more, pushing as close as they could to the front so they could see their precious ‘oppas’, take a couple of pictures, and hand them some presents (and maybe yank a lock or two of hair out as a souvenir). Honestly, Soojung would have chosen to fight any criminal over one of them.

It hadn’t been hard to locate Kim Ryeowook. All it took was a simple click of the mouse, and she had access to every single one of the idols’ schedules for the next four days, courtesy of the many, many stalker fans prowling on the internet. It was almost unnerving how quickly the fans had discovered the schedules, but even so, Soojung found herself impressed that they had been able to figure out their schedules at all. If they all decided to become detectives, crime in South Korea would have become non-existent.

Thanks to them, Soojung now found herself in Daegu, leaning nonchalantly against the trunk of a tree as she waited for Super Junior to finish their performance and exit the building. Wisely, she chose not to move any closer until the boys actually showed themselves; as often as she threw herself into danger, she wasn’t particularly fond of self-inflicted pain, and she didn’t find her chances of survival in that crowd very high.

And as each minute passed, she found herself questioning more and more why she was even there in the first place.

She had graduated from the agency’s training academy at the top of her class, and unlike normal agents, who had to suffer a period of desk duty for a time before being assigned a field mission, was sent into the field almost immediately. She had a knack for battle, and kept a cool, sharp head about her at all times. Missions were completed with utmost precision and efficiency and reports were thorough and detailed. As it stood, she was one of the youngest and most talented agents in the National Intelligence Service. She was a natural.

Which was why it was lost to her why she, of all people, had been assigned to a simple retrieval mission. Granted, it wasn’t just some random citizen in Seoul, but Kim Ryeowook, a member of the one of the most popular idol groups in the country, so this would require a bit more care than the norm, but Soojung still felt cheated. She should be out chasing leads and gathering intel about KAHY, not chasing after a mere idol singer.

She said exactly that when she complained to Jaewan, a fellow agent, her partner, and best friend. Their friendship stretched back to since they were little children, and they’d been attached by the hip since way back then. It was him she stood beside as they entered and exited the training academy, him by her side at nearly every mission. While he wasn’t that great of a field agent - his specialties lay more on the reconnaissance and technical side of things - when the two paired up they were a nearly flawless tag team. It was actually quite ironic, considering that the two were almost complete opposites in terms of personality. Soojung was pure steel, while Jaewan had always been warm sunshine. He was reserved, considerate, and friendly, albeit a bit dorky at times, but Soojung had decided long ago that in their line of business, perhaps a bit of dorkiness was in order.

She knew her best friend from the inside out, which was why his response, though unsatisfying, had not been unexpected.

 

“Kim Ryeowook, huh?” Jaewan murmured musedly. He leaned against the desk, gently swirling the steaming coffee in his cup. He grinned. “You should get an autograph from him in the process.”

Soojung scowled. “This isn’t the time to get all starstruck, Jae.”

His grin turned cheeky. “Who’s the starstruck one? I’m not the one that wants the autograph.”

Soojung spluttered and turned her head to the side, but Jaewan had already seen the spots of color in her cheeks. He laughed, and Soojung slapped him lightly on the arm. His arm shook, jostling the hot liquid.

“Hey, hey, watch the coffee!”

“Watch yourself! We’re at work, you idiot!”

“So?” He laughed, dodging as her arm came around again to slug him. His eyes twinkled with fake innocence. “Come on, you and I both know you’ve been wanting to get a signature from them since forever.”

Soojung sighed and leaned back against the wall, crossing her arms over her chest. “I don’t mix work with personal interests.”

“Bummer.” He shrugged, taking a sip from his coffee. “This would have been the perfect chance.”

Soojung scrunched up her face. “Won’t you go with me? I might need back-up.”

“To pick up an idol? And one that looks like he could barely harm a butterfly, much less a fully trained agent?”

Jaewan shook his head.

“You’ll be fine without me. After all, it’s just a simple retrieve-and- mission. How hard could it be?”


 

It was true that she was a bit of an ELF herself, but as she had said earlier, she didn’t mix work interests with personal interests. At any other point in time, she would have been screaming and pushing along with the rest of the mob, but this wasn’t just any other time. She was on the job, so she had to maintain a passive facade. Besides, her favorite amongst the group was Kyuhyun, not Ryeowook. Of course, she adored every single member of Super Junior, but she only had the flutters for one member and that was for the group’s ‘evil’ maknae.

A sound reminiscent to nails on car paint drew her from her thoughts. She looked up just as the front door to the building swung open, and the first Super Junior member, Sungmin, walked out. The crowd erupted into screams and pushed as close as they possibly could, extending hands, gifts, and cameras out to the arriving idols. Sungmin was closely followed by Shindong, and the rest of the Super Junior members piled out from there.

Ryeowook then appeared, walking closely behind Yesung. As soon as he passed through the door, he flashed the fans a bright smile and a wave, and the fans screamed even louder. He moved closer to accept a couple of gift bags from the fans. One of the managers hovered protectively near him, flashing glares to each of the fans.

Now’s my chance.

With a deep breath, she waded into the crowd. It was a long journey to the front where the members were. Curses and indignant shouts flew at her as she pushed through the crowd, and she was constantly shoved from one side to the other, but still she persisted. After what felt like going through a juicer, she finally squeezed to the front, and just in time. Ryeowook was practically right in front of her.

“Ryeowook! Kim Ryeowook!” she called, waving her hands to get his attention.

He waved politely and smiled at her. “Hello!” he chirped, ducking his head in a short bow.  

Soojung blinked. He probably thought she was just another fan that wanted to get his attention. She cleared and continued, “Kim Ryeowook, I’m from the -”

She staggered as someone rudely shoved her to the side, and fangirls immediately poured into the space she left. She rebounded quickly, pivoting and lunged back into the scene. Acting out of pure instinct, she grabbed Ryeowook by his sleeve. “Wait a minute, I need to talk to you-” Ryeowook gaze went from his sleeve to the girl, an intrigued look on his face, as if she were some interesting specimen. The manager, with an outraged cry, tried to pry her arm off of the idol, but she was stronger than he assumed her to be, and she held on with a steel grip.

Hearing the manager’s yell, the Super Junior members looked back to see what was wrong. The members had different reactions; Siwon, Eunhyuk, and Donghae watched the spectacle with amused grins on their faces, while Yesung, Shindong, and Kangin looked at Soojung guardedly, strangely resembling lions, tense and ready to pounce at the first sign of danger to their eternal maknae.

“Please, just listen for a secon-” Soojung attempted again, shouting to make herself heard over the noise.

“How dare you touch Wookie-oppa!” A nearby fangirl shrieked, followed by a string of curses at the NIS agent. The other fans took up her indignant cry, attempting to pull her away and yelling at her to get out. One particularly violent shove dislodged her grip from Ryeowook’s sleeve and sent her reeling back. She fell gracelessly to the ground.

Now that he was freed, the manager hurried Ryeowook along, eager to get him away from her and the other crazed fans. Soojung watched in defeat as her mission was herded into the van, not once glancing back at the NIS agent. She let out a frustrated cry and pounded the ground with a clenched fist.

“Are you alright?”

Upon hearing a smooth, velvety voice, Soojung gasped. She swore her heart stopped then. That voice was all too familiar to her. It was a the voice that she absolutely adored, the voice that she listened to every night before she went to bed. A voice as smooth and rich as chocolate, yet as refreshing and clear as a summer breeze. Soojung hesitantly looked up, eyes wide, and any curses previously on the tip of her tongue suddenly died in .

He was even handsomer than all the pictures and videos depicted. He had a sharp nose, and plump lips a pale rose color. Dark, reddish-brown hair fell naturally over dark almond-shaped eyes, which currently gazed at her with concern.

Soojung found herself stuttering incomprehensibly as she accepted his outstretched hand. Her own hand was clammy and trembled with nervousness. He pulled her up easily. As soon as she was on her feet, she took back her hand and bowed, muttering a soft ‘thank you.’ She should’ve kept her head down, since she knew she probably looked like a blushing mess, but she couldn’t stop staring.

Kyuhyun smiled. “I’m sorry about the fans. They can be pretty rude.”

Soojung could only squeak in reply.

Another manager suddenly swooped in between them and began ushering Kyuhyun down to the van. Kyuhyun looked almost unhappy with the other man’s sudden appearance, but the look vanished when he turned back to Soojung, replaced with another soft smile. “Be careful from now on."

The maknae gave her one last parting smile before climbing into the van and sliding the door shut. It was only after the van, and Kim Ryeowook, left the vicinity that Soojung realized she hadn’t done anything to stop them.

And then she realized that was still hanging open, and Soojung quickly snapped her jaw shut.

Clapping a hand to her forehead, she groaned at her failure. Well, that was a disaster.


 

 


 


 

Yayyy for long, informative chapters. This chapter is basically for introducing the main OC's to you guys, as well as a little insight on her personality. I promise the action will pick up again in the next chapter.

Please, do comment and tell me what you think!