unplanned love story

of crushes and college

seunghyun is a university student majoring in theater and to put simply, he has a crush on this guy in his statistics class. he never meant for it to happen, it just did. one day he was perfectly fine, totally crush-less and didn't give any attention to the man (he looked more like a boy than a man), but one day the same man does something to catch seunghyun's attention and bam, he has this embarrassing crush on him. it was the main source of gossip in his group of friends. who was this lucky soul? none other than the most sarcastic, snarkiest, sassiest on the campus, lee jaejin (not really, that's just what one of his friends told him).

jaejin is nice, well to seunghyun, but then they've never really interacted with each other. he has this smile that seunghyun can never get tired of and he has a pretty voice. he also has a rather nice for a guy, but it's not like seunghyun stares at it whenever he gets the chance to, not at all. jaejin is, apparently and much to his pleasure, best friends with other biggest on campus, lee hongki, who he had a very close encounter with, they are in the same department afterall, and choi jonghun, biggest player on campus, majoring in music composition. but of course he should never believe the gossip he gets from his friends because later he finds out that his real best friend is the primadonna of their campus, kim kibum and he can't help but to feel a bit jealous.

with all these facts in mind, he doesn't really understand why he has this stupid crush on the guy when the only class they share is statistics and they're not even in the same major, neither does his friends but he blames them anyways. seunghyun blames it on minhwan, his closest friend who's majoring in some weird science thing, but dreams to be a pro-wrestler one day. then minhwan blames it on him which he places the blame on myungsoo, the photography major kid who obviously has the biggest crush on a psychology major dude (is he a guy? he has no clue), sungjong. his friends always pokes fun at his stupid crush, but that's okay, he pokes at their stupid crushes in turn. myungsoo blames it on jonghyo, music major, who blames it on hyungseok, fashion design major that's a model for some fashion line he doesn't care for. hyungseok doesn’t give two s so he blames it on jaejin and they all shut up.

"i swear to god seunghyun, you like have the worst possible crushes on the most boring people," jonghyo, complains.

seunghyun pouts, "it's not my fault i have a thing for jaejin."

"sungyeol tells me he's really fun to talk to," myungsoo adds in, "just a bit introverted.

"can't be as bad as minhwan," hyungseok comments, looking over at the short boy, "he's the most timid person i've encountered."

"minhwan gets really talky when he wants to," seunghyun defends. "just the other day we had a heated discussion about which chicken place is the best."

"how did talking about seunghyun's crush go to me?" minhwan asks.

jonghyo shrugs, myungsoo looks at his fingers with disinterest, hyungseok stuffs another cookie in his mouth and seunghyun just gives minhwan a cheeky grin. this is just the best group of friends anyone has ever encountered. just the best, there's jonghyo, hyungseok, myungsoo, minhwan and then him, seunghyun. they've been together since who knows when with being born on the same year as the only similarity they have in common. he has no clue how they still managed to stay as close friends, but none of them knows how.

"i've always saw you as the flaming homoual type of person, seunghyun," jonghyo says, breaking the thick wall of silence.

seunghyun places his hands against his chest, "aw how sweet of you jonggie."

"really?" jonghyo asks, batting his eyelashes.

"no, you're a horrible friend," he deadpans. "but it's okay, the little fairies made you like that."

hyungseok and minhwan laughs while myungsoo just chuckles as jonghyo chucks a cookie at seunghyun's head and seunghyun throws a handful of gummy bears at his face. they're really good friends, seunghyun insists. they're just a bit not so really friendly with each other.

"have you had a plan of action yet, seunghyun?" hyungseok asks.

"no, what are you talking about?"

the blue-haired boy frowns, "to woo jaejin of course, you should have one," he turns to myungsoo, "you too."

"shut it pretty boy," myungsoo hisses.

hyungseok just laughs, "you're one too."

"i'm the one that takes pictures of the models, not pose as one," myungsoo retorts back.

"what does that make the rest of us?" jonghyo asks defensively.

hyungseok his head to the side, "non-pretty boys?" he laughs, “just kidding, though you won’t be able to get anyone with your personality.”

"ugh, why am i friends with you?"

the rest of the conversation is drowned within seunghyun's thoughts. a plan of action, he's never really had one, nor has he ever considered having a plan of action. maybe now would be the chance to have one, but he feels like all his plans would be poured down the drain and in someway, backfire on him. god he hates his life, and sometimes his friends because jonghyo is still not over hyungseok calling him a non-pretty boy.

"shut up and go to class, jonghyo."

--

"plan of action," seunghyun mumbles under his breath.

all he has been thinking of was a plan of action to woo jaejin into being his. so far nothing has popped up in his ingenious brain. he's thought of some ideas, but they were too cliche and unrealistic, he's been watching way too many dramas and shoujo animes lately, but that's a different story. he ruffles his hair in frustration causing some of his classmates to stare at him funnily, not that he really cares since 1) it's statistics and 2) lee ing jaejin is in the class and damn he hates his life. actually maybe he should care because the cause of all his pain was in this class, yeah.

"seunghyun," minhwan hisses, "pay attention to what the professor is saying."

"but he-who-shall-not-be-named is here," seunghyun hisses back. "and i'm coming up with a plan of action."

minhwan plants his face onto his desk. "you are ridiculous," he mumbles quietly from his desk.

seunghyun looks at minhwan with large, curious eyes, "wait why? did he say something? oh god, don't tell me it's a group project," he whispers quietly to minhwan.

minhwan nods and seunghyun's face scrunches up in displeasure. he hates group projects and he hates group projects assigned by his statistics professor even more. he never lets you choose your group-mates, he always picked for you and oh god what if he ends up with jaejin, anything but jaejin, even the annoying 4th year, jung yonghwa would be better than jaejin (yonghwa was cool though even if he never stopped talking, they are on good terms with each other).

he glances over at jaejin who's engrossed with whatever the hell the teacher was saying and then to minhwan who's giving him a weird look. wow he really does hate his life.

"the project will be done in partners," the professor says.

partners? seunghyun groans into his arms, even worse.

"you and your partner will be collecting data in a series of data, then creating a chart to display the data you have collected with an explanation to the data you've collected and a conclusion essay," the professor explains, "you will present this to the class a month from now, of course i'm picking your partners."

a chorus of groans are heard throughout the classroom. the professor says nothing and hands out the rubric to the rows of students to pass on.

seunghyun grabs onto minhwan's arm and shakes it. "what if he assigns me with he-who-shall-not-be-named?" he asks with an expression of complete despair etched onto his face.

"there's a low chance you'll get assigned as his partner," minhwan reassures.

"are you sure?"

minhwan shrugs an seunghyun feels slightly relieved, only slightly. but as soon as that relief fell upon him, it's immediately shattered when his name is uttered along with jaejin's. he feels like his whole world is shattered into pieces.

"lee jaejin and song seunghyun, you two will work together, alright?" his professor says after all the papers out were passed out.

seunghyun just stares at him with his mouth agape and he nods dumbly. he can hear minhwan snickering quietly next to him, but too bad he's assigned to be yonghwa’s partner, who's laughing now? seunghyun gives minhwan a smug expression before returning to his despairing thoughts, god he wished he could disappear right at this moment, just poof he’s gone, but he’s a human, not an alien.

the professor ends class after telling them to meet up with their partner before they leave the class. he leaves and everyone begins shuffling around, looking for their partners for the project that turns out to be 50% of their grade. this only makes seunghyun hate his life even more and he wonders who the hell put him up to this.

he begrudgingly heads over to jaejin, who is preoccupied with his phone, and greets him with the best smile he can conjure up. "hey, i'm song seunghyun, your partner for this project."

jaejin smiles back, seunghyun can feel his heart skip a beat, "hey, i'm jaejin, this is the first time we’ve talked, right?."

"um, yeah," seunghyun says, scratching the back of his head. "so, project," he starts, "what're we going to do?"

"no clue," jaejin answers, "do you have any ideas?"

"uh." this was so awkward, seunghyun thought, he's never had to endure something as awkward as this before. that was a lie, he has, but this was different, this is his center of affection for the past semester, so the level of awkward was much more different. "nope, maybe we can discuss this more somewhere," he glances around the chatty classroom, "quieter?"

jaejin taps a finger on his chin, deep in thought, he clasps his hands together, making seunghyun jump. "sounds like a plan, give me your number so i can text you the location," he says.

"sure," seunghyun takes jaejin's cell phone and types his number in. so far he hasn't embarrassed himself, so far so good, he thinks. he hasn't done or said anything embarrassing yet, usually by now he'd be talking about aliens, ghosts and other entities that wouldn't exists within the same realm as humans, wait did he just say that out loud. is that why jaejin is laughing obnoxiously, damn his laugh is hot.

"you're so weird," jaejin manages to say in between his fit of laughter, "god and i thought hongki was kidding when he said you were weird."

"what."

"nothing," jaejin smiles "i'll text you later today for our meeting location tomorrow." he begins gathering his belongings and flashes seunghyun another smile, "see you tomorrow, seunghyun."

"yeah, uh, see you, jaejin-hyung," he manages to squeak out once the man was out the door. damn he was bad at this, why was he so bad at this?

he walks back to his desk. he glances at minhwan who's giving him a judging look and sighs. he gathers together his books and papers and places them inside his satchel.

"so how was yonghwa?" he asks, not wanting his short friend to pester him about his awkward conversation with jaejin.

minhwan sighs and shakes his head, "horrible, he said that i'm a part of the cool crew now." he runs a hand through his hair, "yonghwa is so-- how is he older than me?" minhwan whines.

seunghyun shrugs.

"but anyways, did you embarrass yourself? i saw jaejin laughing, even yonghwa was surprised at the amount of smiling he's done today," minhwan says. he glances over at yonghwa who’s laughing at something one of his friends had said.

seunghyun scratches his cheek, "uh, yeah."

"of course you did."

"i gave him my phone number though," he adds, "i'm making some progress."

"are you seriously going to get him to like you back within a month?"

"yes." it sounds more like a question than a short statement, seunghyun mentally cries over how doubtful he sounds about his love crisis, but his love will prevail. "my love will prevail," seunghyun declares, "yes it will, minhwan."

"you're even more pathetic than myungsoo."

yeah he is, but he long stopped caring.

--

he returns to his dorm room, jonghyo already lying on his bed, playing some game on his phone. seunghyun throws himself onto his bed and groans into it. jonghyo looks over at the tall man, but says nothing. seunghyun feels for his phone from his back pockets and takes it out. he looks at the screen for any texts, none at all, and throws it onto the nightstand.

“you didn’t bother saying hi,” jonghyo whines from the other side of the room.

seunghyun gives a grunt in reply and rolls off the floor with a thud.

“well excuse me princess.”

seunghyun lies on the floor until his phone goes off with the harisu scream impersonation he attempted a while back. he feels for it on the nightstand, grabs it and brings it down to his face. one new text from an unknown number. his eyes widen and he hurriedly sits up. he swipes his finger against the phone’s screen..

 

unknown number: is this seunghyun? it's jaejin. please reply back quickly ㅠㅡㅠ

 

seunghyun stares at the number in disbelief, he didn't think jaejin would actually text him. thank the fairy gods residing in the clouds for blessing him with this luck. he scrambles onto his bed and continues staring at the phone. "oh my god, jonghyo," he calls out.

"what?" he asks from his bed.

"oh my god, he texted me. the being that stole my heart texted me," seunghyun dramatically says.

"you are so a flaming homoual," jonghyo comments.

"shut up, this is an important event in history that must be celebrated around the world," seunghyun retorts.

jonghyo rolls his eyes and returns his attention back to his phone.

seunghyun begins typing frantically on his phone, he was just so so excited and happy and gosh he wanted to jump for joy.

 

seunghyun (ㅎㅅㅎ): hey hyung! yes this is seunghyun^^

 

seunghyun makes a weird squealing noise causing jonghyo to look over with a weird expression. curious as to what seunghyun is fanboying over, or what he could possibly be texting to his crush, he slips off his bed and approaches seunghyun's bed and glances at the cellphone in his friend's hand.

"oh my god that emote," he chokes out, "you are so in love." jonghyo bursts out into boisterous laughing and seunghyun shoots him a glare.

his choice in emotes isn't funny and he thought long and hard over which emote to use.

his phone goes off again with a reply.

 

jaejinnie (>人<;): cool, how does my dorm room sound as a place to work on this idiotic project?

 

"that sounds wonderful," seunghyun dreamily sighs, "doesn't that sound wonderful, jonghyo?"

"what sounds-- , he's inviting you to his room," jonghyo stares at the text with large eyes.

"i know," another dreamy sigh, he's on cloud nine right now and damn life is good, "but seriously, i thought we'd meet up at the library or some cafe, not his room." a thought wanders into his mind and he shoots up, looking at jonghyo with large eyes, "oh my god, what if he knows i have the hots for him?" he squeaks out. "what if he's only asking to come to his room is so he can deal with me..." he lowers his voice to a bare whisper, "alone."

jonghyo looks at him with a deadpanned expression, "now you are being ridiculous."

seunghyun shrugs, dropping the despairing feelings he had felt earlier, "eh, it's a seunghyun trait."

"i can't believe you just said that."

"shhhh, i am replying back to the love interest."


 

seunghyun (ㅎㅅㅎ): that sounds great :D i hope im not intruding >______<

jaejinnie (>人<;): nah, you’re not. i’ll see you around 2pm-ish then?? that is, if you’re available.

 

seunghyun wants to scream, ‘i’m available, i’m a single, hormonal man waiting for you to take me to narnia or some place so we can connect mouths and have a hot makeout session,’ but he can’t really do that because 1) it’s a phone he would be screaming to and 2) jonghyo is in the room and he so does not want to embarrass himself in front of his annoying friend. also because it’s extremely awkward and embarrassing, mainly embarrassing. he stares at his phone for a while before typing a reply.

 

seunghyun (ㅎㅅㅎ): that’s cool, i’m free around that time :) but :OOOO what’s ur room # hyung? can’t meet up w/ u w/o it!!!!!

jaejinnie (>人<;): silly me, room 251, see you tomorrow then!

seunghyun (ㅎㅅㅎ): kk hyung! :D


 

seunghyun sighs, switches his phone off and holds it near his chest.  a smile creeps up on his face as jonghyo looks at him with an unreadable expression. he rolls over onto his stomach and makes a high-pitched squealing noise into his mattress. "oh my god, my dreams are finally coming true," he yells out, voice muffled.

"have i mentioned how you're like a girl sometimes?" jonghyo comments, "because if i haven't, you are, even more than hyungseok and that's saying something."

seunghyun flips over onto his back and kicks jonghyo, "hey, don't make fun of me."

"well you are one!"

"just you wait, jonghyo," his eyes narrows and he points at the blonde, "just you wait until you find someone you like and let's see how you'll act." jonghyo opens his mouth to give a snide remark, but seunghyun beats him to it, "and don't you dare say that you have never been in love because that's where high school comes in."

jonghyo throws a wet sock at seunghyun's face and sticks his tongue out. where did he even get a wet sock? oh my god this feels so gross, seunghyun thinks. "seunghyun, you're the worst friend i can ever have," he says.

seunghyun peels the sock off his face and gives jonghyo a cheeky smile, "love you." he looks at the sock and sniffs it, "where did you even get this?" he makes a face at the strong stench (it smells like someone had peed on it) radiating out of it.

"oh, it's my sock," jonghyo answers simply.

"how is it wet?"

"it fell into the toilet while i was trying to take a piss."

seunghyun screeches, "oh my god, that's so gross! how did it even fall into the toilet?"

jonghyo looks away from seunghyun's intense gaze, eyes wandering towards his girl's generation poster on his side of the room. "uh, i was--"

"save it," seunghyun flings the dirty, wet sock onto the floor and pushes it away with his feet, or he tries to. "now i'm going to tell everyone you wetted your bed until you were sixteen."

"i didn't ing-- no one's going to believe you!"

seunghyun shakes his head, "this is where you forget that i'm song seunghyun and everyone believes song seunghyun."

he cackles as jonghyo splutters a poorly constructed insult and threatens seunghyun that he'll tell everyone about the day his pants fell down in the middle of class, but it really wouldn't do much because no one would be surprised. they'll probably comment that it sounds like something that would happen to seunghyun and laugh it off.

--

("oh my god he wetted his bed until his third year of high school," hyungseok laughs, rolling on the floor, "this is priceless."

"you guys are horrible friends."

"you're a lot better than minhwan," myungsoo comments, pushing minhwan's face away, "he still sleeps with mr. cuddles his gigantic teddy bear and sometimes he crawls into my bed when he's scared of monsters attacking him."

"seriously, minhwan?" seunghyun says, giving an incredulous glance at his best friend.

minhwan throws his shoe at seunghyun, only to miss and hit jonghyo's face instead, poor jonghyo. "shut up.")