Telling Truths

The Girl I Never Was
From Sooyoung's Point of View
 
 
The intensifying noise of my phone ringing prompts me to get out of bed and answer it. Not that I wasn't clearly awake, but I am, now, simply laying around and thinking up weird statements and whatnot. Clever me, always daydreaming and questioning myself, typical of a copy editor. 
 
 
"Good Morning, I am Choi Sooyoung, how may I be of service to you?" I put a hand over the microphone as I yawn loudly, not wanting to make a bad impression of myself.
 
 
"Sooyoung, it's not your boss, it's Tiffany. You know, your old bud from High School that you met like, what, a week ago? Why haven't you answered my calls lately?" I look over to the other side of the king sized bed, at a resting figure, still in her clothes from the day before. It leaves a sinking feeling of misery in the pit of my stomach. 
 
 
"Well, I got in a car accident and-"
 
 
"Oh My God, Sooyoung, are you okay? Does it still hurt? Did you break anything?" It forever amazes me how the girl can speak so loudly. It stings my ear whenever I put the phone directly over it when I'm talking to her. Nevertheless, she's a teddy bear when I'm with her, a softie at heart despite how rash and bold her decisions are. 
 
 
"I'm fine, Fany, Taeyeon takes care of me well." 
 
 
"She does, doesn't she? Darling, she's...How can I put it? Very uncaring?" 
 
 
"No!" I shout out loud, and as I turn to look at the once still lump at the other side of the bed, I notice Taeyeon moving, tossing and turning and finally, she wakes up. She instantly props herself up and looks straight at me, creating an ever worse feeling in my stomach and making me turn around, so as to not be able to look at her and her woeful eyes. 
 
 
"Look, Fany, I'll meet you up later, outside my office building," I whisper while I quietly shut the door and swiftly run over to the kitchen to make some coffee. "Yeah, I'll see you in...an hour and a half?" My head turns from left to right, checking if Taeyeon had heard me. "Okay, okay, bye." 
 
 
The microwave starts beeping right as I hear the door squeak open, revealing Taeyeon, jaded, still needing a few extra hours more of sleep. She shuffles over to me and taps my shoulder lightly. I set the mug of plain black coffee down on the counter and turn my attention to her.
 
 
"G-good morning, Honey." 
 
 
"Have you brushed your teeth yet?" 
 
 
"Yeah..." 
 
 
"No you haven't."
 
 
"No..." She takes my hand and brings me over to the bathroom that's right beside the kitchen. It's kind of small, so it's a little tight squeeze for both of us to be in here but I've gotten used to it. She picks up her toothbrush, squirts out some toothpaste, starts brushing her teeth and she looks at me before eyeing my toothbrush. 
 
 
I pick up my toothbrush, do as she does and start brushing as well. Unconsciously, me and her start humming a song we heard on the radio just the other day. What was it called? Heh, I bet Taeyeon would remember, she never seems to forget these sort of things. I love her. Have I said that too many times in my head? 
 
 
She spits out the toothpaste and rinses , although she doesn't leave. She stays and decides to bump her hip onto mine. Right before I rinse my own mouth, I bump her hip and she nearly falls over, and obviously, I laugh, spitting out the toothpaste-filled water.  
 
 
"Hey! You never said sorry!" I love how she makes me forget about the difficulties of life. That's one thing I love about her. And as a joke, I get down on my knees and beg for her forgiveness. She shakes her head, one of her favorite and most-used movements, and lifts me up off the floor. It's amazing how strong she is, in comparison with her minuscule size. She brings me out the bathroom and spins me around. God I'm getting dizzy. 
 
 
"Yah! Put me down Taeng!" 
 
 
"And…?”
 
 
"I'm sorry for bumping your fragile as glass body too hard."
 
 
"Hey!" I run to the kitchen and grab a banana, holding it like a gun and pointing it at her. Continuing the silly battle, she grabs a leek from the fridge's vegetable compartment and holds it like a sword and the epic battle begins. Our eyes lock and we start the fight, with her jabbing the leek at my stomach a couple of times and me poking her neck a few times with my now squishy banana.  After a solid five minutes, we break into laughter and toss our weapons in the air, thus ending the battle at a tie. 
 
 
"I give up," she blurts out while panting and waving an imaginary white flag in the air. "Now can I make my special blueberry pancakes for your damaged soul?" 
 
 
"Um..." I look up at the clock and now I noticed that I've soiled thirty minutes. I have one hour to go and it takes one hour to get to my office. "You know, Taeyeon, I can't. I need to get to work."
 
 
"But today's your day off and-" 
 
 
"Some days, the office needs me and when those days come, you promised to be forgiving. Right?" 
 
 
"Okay honey," she mutters as she pulls me in for a hug. I'm fond of hugs, especially with Taeyeon. She makes me feel safety like no other with her affection. I fear the world now, and I'm craving her affection more and more. I don't want to end up as a cadaver at the side of the road again, is it a little too much to ask to die in her arms?
 
 
I break away and enter the room, changing into some new clothes and fixing up my frustrating bed hair. Even though I'm in here, I can still hear her frying up some of her blueberry pancakes. Didn't I tell her not to make some for me? Well, she could still be making some for herself...Damn it Sooyoung, your ego! Of course she's making some for herself! 
 
 
The alluring scent of freshly made pancakes tempts me to hurry up and get out of the room. I miss those blueberry pancakes. "Come on, Soo! I don't want you to be late for work!" And I guess she wants me to hurry too, she adores the sensations of staying alone, at home. Sometimes, I hear her rejoice as I leave the door, and she cracks a smile every so often when I mention extended meetings. 
My heart strings pull and tug when she does those things, but if she didn't, she wouldn't be Taeyeon anymore. She'd just be some other person.
 
 
"Here, Youngie," her voice cracks as she hands a fluorescent pink Tupperware to me. "It's for when you starve at work. Then again, I shouldn't have made these for you. Suffer under those papers," her questionable smile makes me roar out laughing. Oh, her sadistic tendencies. I pat her head, being, compared to her, a giant, and I casually walk to the door, awaiting for her to predictable knock on my head.
 
 
"I'll miss you," she says unexpectedly, and she hugs me once more. She holds it for a few seconds and kisses me wholeheartedly before waving me goodbye with a disappointed look. 
 
What's wrong with her?
 
 
<<<<~>>>>
 
 
"So what you're telling me is that you're going to die?" Tiffany questions as she drops the spoon into the cup, the quick, sharp sound made everyone's ears prick up. Their eyes slowly moved away from us as time passes, second by second. Looking down or away from her won't save me from her upcoming, tensed questions. They all sound like an incessant buzzing in my ears, but her rash actions of grabbing my shoulder and shaking me vigorously wakes me up from my reverie. 
 
 
"The old woman said that the world's going to end in seven months because the government told her so. The cup said that I'm going to die in seven months. Either way, I think I'm going to die. There is a slight chance that the old lady was playing a trick on me, but she must be something special since she found a way to give me that cup."
 
 
"Sooyoung, do you know this thing called counselli-"
 
 
"I'm not imagining things, Tiffany. Ask Taeyeon, she's seen the cup with the words in it." Tiffany rolls her eyes and scoffs. She's not particularly fond of Taeyeon. If she were to be frank, she would say to my face that she most absolutely, resentfully despised, abhorred and wanted to asphyxiate Taeyeon. She claimed that Taeyeon was a player girl, a hot mess and was definitely self-absorbed. Another Taeyeon from her past school must've pissed her off really well.
 
 
"So what you're telling me is that a cup and an old woman have told you that either you or everyone in this world was going to die? Ha! I know who I want to disappear from this world, and that's Tae-" 
 
 
"Look, Tiffany. Taeyeon has really changed since my car accident, she's more loving, she's more caring and she was never bad to begin with. Besides, how did you even know about Taeyeon? She wasn't from your college, high school or-"
 
 
"Listen to me!" She grabs me by my collar and pulls me out of the shop. "You wanna know why? Fine! I had a little friend called Jessica."
 
 
"And?" I manage to blurt out as she stares deep into me with her piercing eyes and pushes me against the shop's wall.
 
 
"Jessica is dead. Taeyeon killed Jessica and they were girlfriends at the time. Your 'girlfriend' is a psychotic murderer." I wonder why the other Taeyeon that's not my Taeyeon ticked her off to this point, I mean, Taeyeon might be a tad bit sadistic and a little bit weird but she's not that bad. "My Taeyeon doesn't have a criminal record," I retort, hoping dearly that she doesn't have evidence that my Kim Taeyeon killed her friend.
 
 
"Jessi described Taeyeon as 'a dreamy girl who was quite a tomboy, had an angelic voice and made wonderful blueberry pancakes'. Blueberry pancakes, Sooyoung, blueberry pancakes. That Taeyeon of yours drove that car straight into a tree, under no influence of drugs or alcohol, Sooyoung. And when she was in the hospital, she just stared straight at the window. She did it with a purpose, she wanted to kill Jessica but the police didn't care, didn't arrest her, nothing." 
 
"And then Jessica died?"
 
 
"And Taeyeon disappeared from my sight right until you told me about her. Look, Soo, I love you like a sister and I don't want you to die. Maybe this old lady and the cup were trying to tell you about Taeyeon. I have to go now." She shakes me again and makes her way to her next destination. 
 
 
What's going on? Is God trying to test me? They say that God only tests the toughest soldiers with the hard problems in life, and I'm not tough or strong mentally or physically, so why me God? The Lord is truly testing me. And maybe Tiffany was exaggerating it but if she's telling the truth, I'll need to have a very long and heated talk with Taeyeon. Now. I get the phone out and dial Taeyeon's number.
 
 
Taeyeon you better pick up. 
 
 
"Hey Sooyoungie! How's work?"  
 
 
"Tell me about Jessica. And don't lie to me, Tiffany was Jessica's friend. Tell me the truth."
 
 
"Can we talk about this at home, please?"
 
 
"Taeyeon, I just want to know if the girl I've been living with for God knows how long is a murderer or not! Did you do it on purpose? Did you voluntarily kill Jessica?"
 
 
"Look, Soo, I went through a lot of stuff with Jessica! Can I just tell you the story when you get home?"
 
 
"Taeyeon, that does not equate to killing someone! Now did you crash into a tree on purpose?"
 
 
"I'm sorry but I din't, now please, come back home and Ill explain it all to you. I'm innocent, I didn't exactly kill her."  
 
 

<<<<~>>>>

 

A kindly note- I'm sorry I'm confusing you guys...^^' But...I hope I explained it better in this chapter. And if not...tell me what's confusing please? 

On a side note- I changed the earlier chapter a bit too...Sho look pwease? *shows googly eyes*