The Return

ANOTATH

"PUSH!! NOW!" 
  
"What! Wha—NO! Impossible!" 
  
"PUSH-IT-NOW!" 
  
His body was trembling violently. His breath caught as if death had reached his throat.No, not in the throat, but miles in front of him. Approaching. Very fast and threatening. 
  
Huge waves were rolling. Five feet in height. Rumble, about to swallow him wholly. No. But this city. No! But this island! 
  
"MINHWANNIE!" 
  
The boy jumped in shock. Unconciously stretched his arms. His arms were shaking, swaying gently as if stirring the air in front of him. His eyes squeezed shut. 
  
"HEAAAAAAAAAHHH!" 

 

***

 

He stood restlessly. Pacing in the garden filled with peonies. Face down, pay attention to the traces left by each step in the grass. For a moment, he glanced around. Palace guards around him, much more than the usual . Of course, he's a prisoners today. 
  
A cynical smirk on his lips. Wild thoughts started to entwined in his criminal brain. Make his smile widening. He was getting impatient waiting for the decision. 
  
"Your Majesty ..." an old man bowed. Polite. The boy jumped, up to him happy. 
  
"How? How? Am I being exiled?" he asked with a look of impatience. 
  
Old man's face looks cloudy. Wrinkles on his face made him look even older. 
  
"No, Your Majesty." 
  
"What!" he exclaimed in shock. "How come?!" 
  
"The King decides, the case of a fire in the Palace Library was caused by earlier earthquake, Your Majesty." 
  
"What! What a stupid thought! How could the fire was caused by an earthquake?!, I did! National Archive Room, I burn it! I must being exiled!" he protested loudly. "There is no penalty for me, Professor?" 
 
The Professor looked getting impatient. "You're going to be sent out of town. Meet a Guru." 
  
"What! Ha! Me? Learning again? Oh God, I really hope to exiled on an island! Yah… a great teacher like you can’t persuade the King to replace my punishment?" 
  
Professor just sniffed long. Managing emotions that could have exploded, stop his heart that had been frail. This one was his pupil unruly. His behavior is much more childish than his real age. 
  
"No, I can’t.” 
  
“Oh geez! " The young prince hair scrambles upset. "For what I'm learning, I'm not the crown prince!" 
  
"You're leaving tomorrow. We'll prepare everything." 
  
The Prince stood in upset. Indeed, he hated being escorted.His dream is out of the palace, to breathe free air. But the cunning plan he designed ruined already. Did chaos and more chaos which never give results. 
  
"Please, just exiled me to a far far away island. C'mon, Professor! Persuade the father!" 
  
"No. The King and the Ministry have make a decision." said the elderly with full pressure. Rage was boiling up into the crown of a student's face. He could have resigned to his teacher if ... 
  
"Ohh ... Come on, Grandpa ~!" 
  
The great teacher glared shocked. Not that he does not like to be called by that name, but palace regulations prohibiting prince to call him like that. 
  
"Seunghyun! Don’t call me grandpa! Ungrateful grandson!" he snapped irritably. Making bodyguards around him shocked at the rude behavior on the prince. 
  
The Professor are well aware with his bad behavior. But he just couldn’t hold it any longer. He stared at the prince, ignoring protocol that required by the palace.
 
"Grandpa ~!" the tall boy continued to whine. Tugged at the sleeve of his grandfather who was also his teacher. 
  
"I'm not your grandpa! Elementary brat!! Embarrassing grandchildren dud like you! all you can! Now it's up to what you want to do!" grandfather went with grouchy. No matter that his breathing was stalled due to the age of twilight. 
  
"Grandpa ~ ~!" 
 
 
***
 
 
 
Darkness. Total darkness. Cold air slicing pores. Never sunny skies surrounding undisturbed land. Thick clouds with reddish biases. Reject the new moon light that was never able to reach land surface. 
  
Deep and long murmurs. Incalculable. Inflict heavy deafening buzz. Making his sense of hearing feels numb. He shivered. 
  
But he’s not a weak creature that will collapse just like that. He stood up. Scans the sound waves that captured by his ears. 
  
"Cursed creature!" 
  
"Get out from here, you Satan!" 
  
"Destroy him! No mercy!" 
  
The boy bowed deeply. Hide his tense face. Sad and angry. Anxious and embarrassed. They all come together in his heart. 
  
"Shut up."   a deep voice echoed. Silent instantly. 
  
The boy tilt his head. Peeking out from behind the veil that hides his face. Waiting. 
  
"You will be destroyed." tall creature in black veil was growling. The wind blew with a loud stomping euphoria of the darkness. 
  
Cheers that made him shocked. Gasping breath. Scared and disappointed, he glared at The Dark Ruler. 
  
"No ..." 
  
"Claw will end your life." 
  
He choked. His heart beat hard.
 
"NO!" he exclaimed in the midst of despair. Thundering roar of heavy breathing rival ruler. 
  
"I’LL RESTORE THE BALANCE!" 
  
Long buzzing sounding again. Gradually turned into a cry of rage that blaring. Attacked him. But he was no longer trembling. Lifted his head, staring at the darkness in front of him. 
  
"I’LL RESTORE THE BALANCE!" he shouted again. As his body explodes into blinding light.. Make the darkness screaming in pain. 
  
Light  dissolves in the air. Spinning faster then soar. Grabbed the clouds in the sky like lightning. Left a gaping hole that leads moonlight broke through the thickness of cloud.Throwing light on the dark below with thousands of silvery stripes. The darkness screaming. Run away from the light. 
  
The Ruler of looked the halos. Upset. Angry growl blown from his body. "Anotath!" 
  
 
 
*** 
 
 
 
"Hyung, let's go home. Anyway--  stop it. It’s late already." Lee Jaejin pull the older boy who put his arm into a trash bin. Digging into it with enthusiastic faces. 
  
Jaejin pulled his arm again, but he did not budge. Jaejin grip dismissed. He continued to scavenge like a starving dog. 
  
The blonde sighed in annoyed. He was helpless when his hyung already like this. 
  
"The light bulb! Light bulb bulb bulb bulb bbrrp!" Lee Hongki squealing in delight. Pull out the clear glass ball that looked worn. Held up in the air as if he was successfully achieved a gold medal in a championship. 
  
"Its already broken, hyung. See, the wire has been broken." Jaejin Hongki hold his hands. Brought his face close to the light bulb, observing. 
  
"The light bulb!" Hongki looks unconcerned. Denied his namdongsaeng explanations and snatch it from his hand bulb. 
  
Jaejin smiled. "All right. Let's go home, hyung. Keep it well."
 
Hongki smiled broadly. Jaejin holding his hand tightly,  led him to walk home. 
  
"Look. There’s so much stars tonight. Hyung, darkness and stars are a wonderful blend, right?" Jaejin muttered, staring at the starry sky that shelters them. 
  
Hongki just smiled. Kept busy rubbing a light bulb in his hand to his cheek. Feel the slippery texture of the light bulb. 
  
"Hahaha. I know, you think a light bulb is much more beautiful than any of the stars. Isn’t it, hyung?" 
  
Furthermore silent. Only sounds of footsteps which collided with the pavement. Also the occasional roar of passing vehicles on the highway near them. Almost all the shops were closed, leaving the colorful light displays and boards of each name. There isn’t  a lot of people passing by. 
  
Jaejin just smiled at his hyung who excitedly mentions each color of light he saw. Lee Hongki so infatuated with the light bulb, Jaejin know it. They little apartment full of light bulbs, making it incredible light. 
  
Electricity bill is the main list to be paid in addition to their daily meals. Though he is just a student who worked part-time at Minimarket, and Lee Hongki with his mental disorder was only able to be a porter in grocery store. But Hongki was scared to death with darkness, and Jaejindoesn’t want the neighbors disturbed by his hyung. 
  
"Ouch!" Jaejin tripped when Hongki suddenly pull his hand. Hongki fell because he didn’t pay attention to the road. The light bulb fell and roll, heading away to the highway. 
  
"The light bulb! Light bulb!" Hongki ran after him, let go of Jaejin’s hand grip.
 
"Hyung!" Jaejin saw a truck ran fast toward his hyung. He desperately ran, lunged his hyung who was curled up in the middle of the road, picking up his favorite bulbs. 
  
Hongki fell to the wayside. Stared at his brother who was covering his face from the truck headlights, lying in the middle of the road. 
  
"Jaejin!" 
  
Ckiiiitt! 
  
"Jaejin!" Hongki frantically ran after the car stopped suddenly. The driver looked shocked, jumped out of the cabin. Ran into the same place. Jaejin. 
  
"Jaejin. Jaejin. Jaejin. Jaejin." Hongki shook his body.
  
Jaejin just silent. Glared in shock. His body trembled violently. 
  
"Are you okay?! Forgive me, I'm on the phone!" the driver of the car looks pale, feels guilty. "We need to go to the hospital?" 
  
Jaejin stared at Hongki. Then the driver. Then the car that had hit him. He saw his hands tremble. 
  
"Jaejin. Jaejin." 
  
"N-No ...I-I-it's okay ..." Jaejin stuttered. 
  
"Are you sure??" the driver asked again. 
  
Jaejin nodded. His eyes were vacant, though wide-eyed. He shuddered in horror. Indeed, the car was completely hit his transparent body! 
  
 
 
*** 
 
 

Quiet countryside. Fields. Garden. Everything is green. Fresh wind chime with the scorching sun. Cool and warm, a combination that makes your eyes feel heavy like to leave the real world into the dreams. 
  
The dashing handsome man standing below the tree. Stretched his body. Feel the beautiful weather today. Head occasionally looking up to the sky, pay attention to the sunlight.

  
"A sunny day. Aaah ~ I wanted to swim in the river." 
  
"What, you, sir? Hahahahah!" Another younger man looked amused. He kept his hands on the turtle on his lap. Give him lunch under a thick tree. 
  
"Why are you laughing, huh? What's wrong?" 
  
"You are old, Sir. Still want to play around in the river?? Hahahaha! Ridiculous."

  
"What did you say??" 
  
"No. No. No. Hehehe." 
  
"How dare you insult me! I’ll strip your tortoise shell, Yesung!" 
  
"WHAT!" Yesung glared shocked. Tortoise clasp tightly, as if his master would actually execute on the pet. "DON’T!  Ish, Sir, you're so cruel!" 
  
The host just stared at the boy amused. Trying hard to hide her teeth. 
  
"Look for another pet so you don’t get bored. How come you are amused with such slow creature." 
   
The wind blows hard. Flew mostly leaves scattered around their feet. The older man stepped out of the shadow of the tree who had been overshadowed his body. Head tilted back, challenging the scorching sun. His eyes narrowed, making his white teeth looked bright by the sun light. 

"Ddangkoma! Yah! Why hide?!" Yesung cried suddenly  when he saw his pet hiding behind shell. 
  
Yesung pouted. Playing with Ddangkoma was kinda boring, especially abandoned like this. 
  
But the melancholy expression did not last long. His eyes rounded. His hands d the grass. Felt something that made him scared. Heart strongly beat, kicking his ribs. 
  
"S-Sir ... sir!" 
  
"What?” 
  
Yesung jumped from his seat. "The ground shook!" 
  
"What are you --" he stop his words when he saw the tree was wobbling. Rustling very noisy now. Rough rubbing together, causing a noisy sound abstract. 
  
Loud crackling sound heard from the direction of the house. The two men looked at their wooden house. Oblique and almost collapsed because of the turbulence. 
  
"SIR! SIR! SIR! MY LORD! MASTER! EARTHQUAKE!" Yesung screaming in panic. 
  
"Yesung!" 
  
"MASTER!" 
  
Ground shaking stronger.  Things are falling out of place. Broken. Chaos. Scattered. 
  
"Yesung! Hahahaha! Yesung!" 
  
"Haa! Why laugh, Sir?! Our house is about to collapse!" Yesung approached his master difficulty. Earthquake is still going on, and getting stronger. They stand up to adversity. 
  
"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHH!!" 
  
"Siiiir!" Yesung tugging his master. Rushed toward the middle of the garden, avoid trees and buildings that might befall them. Severe vibrations disturb their step. Both fell to the ground. 
  
Yesung panic and pale, but his master did not stop laughing like crazy. 
  
"Sir! Why laugh anyway?!" 
  
"Yesung! We’ll be busy! Hahahah!" 
  
Yesung looked at him confused, "What do you mean, sir?" 
  
"Anotath! Anotath is coming! Soon! HAHAHAHAAHH!" 



 

 

tbc.