Struggle

All I Ask For

“Finally… done!” I exclaimed when I finished the History essay I have been working on for the past hour. I looked at the time on my phone. 21:42. That’s pretty early for someone who had 2 History essays, an English composition and a Math worksheet to complete, I thought. Since I have about 2 hours to spare, I took my acoustic guitar from under my bed and started tuning it. It was a quiet Wednesday night. My parents were out and my sister was working OT. After tuning the strings, I started plucking it randomly. Before long, I started singing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U66IxBwKa_Y

Before I finished singing and playing, I heard my front door unlock. It must be Mum, I thought. I gently put my guitar on my bed and slid on my strawberry slippers. Before I stepped foot outside my room, I heard Mum’s voice from the kitchen. “Jieun ah, have you eaten? Have you finished your homework? How was school today?” When she mentioned school, I immediately went back in to grab my test papers from my bag.

“Yeah I had Omrice (A/N: Omelet rice), yes. Mum, I scored full marks for my Chemistry test I took yesterday!” I smiled and showed her my test paper. It was filled only with red ticks. However, I was already expecting her reaction. Mum merely replied with a nod and continued drinking her cup of water. “That’s nice. Has your sister come back?” My smile turned weak and I went back to my room to stuff the test paper inside my bag.

“Nope, she told me she’s working OT today.” I replied. I only had my study lamp on, so my room was dim. It somehow reflected my feelings. I studied so hard for this test on my least favourite chapter, yet I was faced with the same old reaction of hers. But what can I expect?

Upon seeing the sight of my room, Mum the lights. “Your eyes will spoil if you study like that! Since you’re done, try getting an early sleep okay? Your eye circles are worsening you know?” My lips curved into a smile and I nodded. With that, she went back to her room. I tied up my slightly wavy hair and took out my Physics textbook to study. After an hour, I gave up and went to sleep. I could only pray that I can at least pass my test.

The next morning, Mum, Sis and I sat at the dining table to eat breakfast. “Yoona-ah!” Mum shouted from the kitchen. “Are you working OT today? If not, come back home for dinner!” My sister who was five years older than me replied, saying that she would not be working OT. My sister was everything I was not. She was the definition of flawless beauty, with her innocent eyes, fair skin, naturally straight dark chocolate hair and a fit body. Not to mention she was almost a head taller than I was. Yoona is also a confident, friendly, graceful and smart lady. She had those qualities since she was a teenager. She works as a film editor, which kind of explains why she has been working late the past few days.

Me? I’m Lee Jieun, a complete opposite of the wonderful lady beside me. I also have the same innocent eyes, fair skin and straight hair (only that mine’s fully black). Only difference? I am pretty short, and I have a stubby nose. My body ratio is also weird, and I did not have a fit body like her. I was definitely not the definition of ‘pretty’ or ‘beautiful’. I can say I’m an introvert, since I only have a few close friends that to talk to. I’m also really clumsy; it is to the extent I’m so used to falling down and banging into walls. Heck, I have no idea where that bruise on my arm came from. I’m also a very weird thinker; my close friends label me as ‘4-D baby’ and I acknowledge it. Another major difference, Yoona excels in her studies. During her middle and high school years, she rarely scored a B during tests. If she did, then the whole class probably failed. She managed to get in and graduated from Seoul University, the most prestigious university in South Korea.

Me? Well, I do fairly well, but I only score one or two A’s here and there. It was different for me whenever I present my school report card. My parents would compliment my sister for doing so well in her studies and making them proud. There was once they even bought her a digital camera as a present. For me, my parents would just sign my report card and tell me to do better. Because I have never received compliments since young, I became unable to accept compliments. Every time I look at my sister, I wonder if we were even blood related.

“Jieun ah, I’ll drive you to school today.” Yoona said. I merely nodded and quickly finished my breakfast. When we were done, we made our way to her car and set off for school. During the journey, we barely exchanged any words. Yoona was talking to her boyfriend, Taecyeon, on the phone. I did not bother about their conversation. Taecyeon is a tall handsome guy that treats me well, so I have nothing to rant about. He was just another thing my sister has that I don’t: a tall, handsome and sweet boyfriend.

When I reached school, I climbed out and waved goodbye. Another day of suffering, I thought. In school, I was a pretty hardworking student. I copied notes in class and completed most of my homework on time. I did not care about what others say about me – fake, overly studious, goody two-shoes – since at the end of the day, they are all my competitors. We will all sit for the same national exam and be ranked according to our performance. I was lucky to have a few friends whom are not seen as grade A students who score well in all their tests. At least I have people to talk to, and it makes me feel less lonely in school.

“So who’s the first in class this time?” One of my classmates asked. It was Geography, the subject I do fairly well in even though I do not really like Geography. Mr. Kim checked the class list and replied, “Lee Jieun.”

I did not show any excitement about me getting first in class. Honestly, it was burdensome. And, it’s not like I will receive the acknowledgement I want. I took back my test paper and did my corrections. I left out one sentence in one of my answers, landing me with a mark lesser. After Geography lesson was over, I quickly took out my Physics textbook to revise one last time. I swear Physics is stupid, I thought. Before long, my Physics teacher Mr. Choi entered. My friend Howon leaned towards me and whispered in my ear, “Yah, help me out later. I don’t want another detention from that teacher!” I smiled and roll my eyes before nodding. Throughout the test, I wrote equations on the side of my paper to make it seem like I was recalling formulas instead of cheating. Or if you call that cheating.

After school, I went home straight. I ate lunch with Mum and quickly completed my homework. I wanted badly to tell Mum about my test results, but I held the urge back. It was not required for parents to sign it anyways. After completing my assignments, I tidied my study table and took my guitar from under my bed. I tuned it again and exhaled deeply. I really need a new set of strings, I mentally took note. After finally tuning the strings, I played it again and sung.

I sung a sad song for no reason, or at least a reason that I don’t know. After I was done, I played and sung a few more songs until my sister came back for dinner. My father was never really around since he’s always overseas for work. The three of us ate dinner in silence, with the television playing. After I was done, I went back to my room to study for the upcoming examinations. Maybe if I do well this time, I’ll receive a sentence of compliment from Mum and Dad, I thought.

-----

Finally, the day many students hate has arrived. The examinations results are released, and we were to collect our report cards before we go for our term break (which really isn’t a break; there’s so many assignments to do). I looked at my report card and grinned. I scored 4 A’s, and my B’s weren’t too bad either; they were close to an A grade. I even scored a decent B grade for Math, my worst subject since the day I was born. After celebrating with my friends till night, I went home and presented my report card to my parents.

“Mum, Dad! I got 4 A’s, an improvement from last year! Plus I’m 10th in the whole cohort and 2nd in class.” I have never exactly done this well in my life, so I was really proud of myself. My mum took my report card with a smile and showed it to my father.

“Oh that’s nice! Keep working Jieun-ah!” For some reason, I could not smile widely at Mum’s words. I pointed at the line where she needs to sign and went into my room. I leaned against the door and closed my eyes. The image of my parents hugging my sister tightly when she scored straight A’s for her exams flashed in my mind. Unknowingly, a tear fell from my eye, leaving a trail down my cheek. I took out my hair tie and combed my hair with my fingers in frustration. I jumped onto my bed, fighting the urge to scream.

I picked up my guitar and played a song to comfort me, to at least help me vent the sudden anger and frustration that built up in my heart.

All I asked for, was you guys to be proud of my achievements. All I asked for, was for you guys to compliment me. All I asked for, was for you guys to show that you are proud of me.

Was it too much?


Done! It was pretty difficult for me to write this down, but I did it ^^

There's no moral, no plot twists, interesting character changes, just a one-shot about part of my life.

I'll be finishing my couple one-shots soon, perhaps by next week I can post a few up(:

Thanks for reading!