His Key

His Key

Kibum walked the streets alone. He had been like this for four months now. Ever since that one mistake that had him lose the one thing in his life he truly loved; Kim Jonghyun. There is not a night that passes where Kibum doesn’t think of Jonghyun. There isn’t a day that goes by where he wishes he was with him. All Kibum can think about, dream about, and cry about is Jonghyun.

 

They pass each other from time to time. No smiles, waves, or glances are exchanged from the two. This is it. Kibum truly missed his chances with Jonghyun. His heart was aching, there is an empty feeling he couldn’t seem to fill. 

 

Why had those words slipped Kibum’s lips? Why couldn’t he tell Jonghyun is true feelings? Why did he just let Jonghyun slip from his hold? If he could take it back he would in a heartbeat.

 

Suddenly Jonghyun is smiling again. With him, not Kibum, him. From afar Kibum saw the pair laughing and having an honest good time. One lunch they had a run in, quickly rushing out Kibum meet those eyes. Those eyes that once only looked at him. It was enough to have Kibum in tears at a nearby park.

 

Hugging his knees sitting against a tree he thought. He thought long and hard. He needed to get away, away from here, away from Jonghyun. The last person on the earth he wanted to see. He is the one that moved on. Jonghyun is the one who gave up on Kibum. But Kibum is the one who pushed him away.

 

~past~

“Key, wait!” Jonghyun’s steps were gaining fast on Kibum. They ran, Jonghyun chasing the love of his life on a rainy Tuesday.

 

“Just get away from me!” Kibum stopped in his tracks crying. “I don’t love you Jonghyun! I never did and never will!” Jonghyun stopped a few feet from Kibum staring in disbelief.

 

“You don’t mean that, Kibum. I know you don’t mean that. After everythin—“

 

“No! Jonghyun, I used you! I abused your trust and turned everyone against you! I brought you down to feel good about myself!” The words hurt Kibum. He wanted to stop. He wanted to ask for forgiveness but this was the only way. He needed to make Jonghyun hate him. He needed for him to not want him. He was no good for Jonghyun.

 

“So… everything we did meant nothing?! The nights, the dates, the years we spent together?! I did everything for you Kibum!” Jonghyun choked on his tears that were covered by the thick rain. “I gave you my all!” Pulling a box from his pocket he chucked it at Key’s feet. “Happy anniversary, I hope you enjoy that, I bought it with my music savings! Think of it as a departure gift. ” Jonghyun fixed his clothes and quickly fled from the scene.

 

Kneeling down Kibum picked up the box and found the nearest shelter from the rain. His tears finally showing without the rain to hide them. His hands shook as he opened the small box. Inside was a necklace; two pendants on a gold chain, a lock in the shape of a heart and a matching Key.

 

~present~

 

Now he stood at the train station. Suitcase in hand he waited. He needs to forget him. Kibum wants to be happy again, with Jonghyun around it seems impossible. The minutes changed to hours. Kibum was deciding which train he’d take. One would leave another quickly meeting there in its place.

 

In all honesty he was scared. Going away from home, starting a new chapter in life was scary. Where would he go? What would happen? What if he gets another heart break? Will he keep running? The thoughts attacked Key’s mind. Somewhere along his thoughts he heard something. He turned around quickly to see the owner of the voice.

 

“Key, Wait!” Footsteps ran closer and Jonghyun slowly came into view. “Wait for me, Key! Just stay there.”

 

Puzzled Kibum stayed in place. He stared as Jonghyun got closer to him. Before he knew it he was a foot away trying to catch his breath.

 

“Minho… told me…you were moving?” Jonghyun looked at Kibum with sad worried eyes. Kibum unable to speak nodded. “Why are you leaving?”

 

“Why do you care?” Kibum’s words came out cold quickly regretting his tone he kept his mouth shut.

 

“Kibum, I love you. I know you can’t return my feelings but listen; these past four months were . They were the loneliest months of my whole life.” Jonghyun shook his head before continuing. “Without you I laugh less. I had writer’s block for four months without you. You gave me reason to sing and write songs. When we’d sing them together, Kibum all my songs are for you.”

 

“But the other boy—“

 

“Is my cousin, listen to me. You are the only one I have ever and will ever love. Kibum I know you don’t love me but I can’t let you go.” Jonghyun took one of Kibum’s hands. “I want to another chance. I want to make you fall in love with me. I want you to be mine.”

 

Kibum looked at Jonghyun completely speechless. He didn’t know how to respond. Everything was coming at him and he didn’t know how to react.

 

“Kibum, just let me try. I will try my hardest.” Jonghyun got on his knees and kissed Kibum’s hand.

 

“Jonghyun…” Kibum looked around flustered by Jonghyun’s actions. “I already love you… Being without you helped me see that.” Jonghyun smiled at Kibum quickly hugging him in his arms. “Jonghyun, why me though? I am not good enough…”

 

“Key, I just love you, everything about you. You are perfect to me. I love you and I can care less about what people think. They don’t matter to me, you do.” Jonghyun kissed Kibum’s cheek softly. Looking at Kibum something caught his eye. A gold chain trailing under his shirt Jonghyun ran his fingers over the chain and untucked the necklace.

 

Kibum had been wearing his heart along with its key.

 

~

Hey Guys~ I wrote! lol I will start working on my other stories with exception of one I think I will delete it. Also for a few months I have been planing a SHINee summer fanfic~ 2min, Jongkey, and yes Onew~ Just for fun reasons. The story won't be so serious just fun summer themed. I started it already and I am gathering ideas. Well this is my first story of the summer so enjoy! I had lots of JongKey feels today ;u; haha. See you guys soon!