A New Start

A Burden To Love
“Arron, let’s go! We’re late…” A sweet voice came from outside the bedroom door.

“Hang on a second, Hebe. I’ll be there in a second.”

It was the first day scramble at home. Most would have gotten ready in no time, to welcome senior year. But not this particular senior. He seemed to be taking his own sweet time. What was he doing exactly?

“I’m waiting..”

Hebe, a sweet and petite girl, was all ready to go. Not really showing it, she was not exactly in a hurry. And perhaps Arron knew it, for he himself took as much time as he wanted.

Finally, he popped out of his bedroom. He smiled, but did not move from where he was. He looked like he waiting for something. Hebe went over to him and put her hand on his shoulder. “What took you so long?”

“This.” He took out a little box that he’d been hiding behind his back and took her hand on his shoulder before placing the box onto her fair hand. It was a small blue box with a light pink ribbon on top. A little surprised, Hebe tilted her head but she didn’t get any answer. So, she pulled the ribbon and opened the box. In it was a little carved wood, polished shiny. It was a keychain. She looked at the carvings. It was her name, beautifully carved out with a nice outline design. She looked at him. “Did you make this?”

He nodded, unblinkingly. “Thanks for everything you’ve done for me. It’s just a small gift. Not worth much but I still hope you like it.”

“I do.” She smiled, and continued looking at keychain. “How ever did you manage to make this?”

“Well, I just made it with you in mind. Anyway, aren’t we late already? Let’s go.”

Hebe looked at her watch and gasped. Only ten minutes to their first day assembly and it was by no means a stone’s throw length from the house to school. “Where’s your stick?”

Arron took out a small stick from his pocket and pulled it longer. Then he tapped the ground with it, smiling. “Let’s go.”

----------

“We’re here, finally. Oh no! I think class is going to start now. Come on,” Hebe said, rushing while holding Arron’s hand.

Hebe ran slightly, making sure she’s not too fast while keeping an eye on Arron whom she’s pulling. As they slid through doors, she saw that no one was anywhere at all. They must be in class already, she thought. “We’re going a little faster alright?” she told Arron, who gave a nod in reply.

She sped up a little. And just as she turned at a corner, she hit something hard and fell backwards, causing Arron to stumble backwards.

“Ouch!” Hebe said, on the floor.

“Are you okay?” Arron asked, after stabilizing himself.

“I’m fine. What about you?” Getting a positive reply from Arron, Hebe continued. “Since when did they build a wall at this corner?”

“Am I really that hard?” a voice said.

A guy emerged from the other side of the corner. He had dark hair with some highlights on. He didn’t tuck in his shirt and was swinging his bag casually. He swung it onto his shoulder and looked at Hebe and Arron. He seemed to be taking in details about their appearance.

“I knocked into you? But you’re like a boulder.” Hebe looked at him in surprise.

He grinned. “So people has told me. Sort of. Well, you’re not exactly huge. So why am I not surprised that you fell when you bumped into me?” He added, sarcastically.

Hebe raised an eyebrow and gave a ‘you-think-I’m-going-to-reply-that?’ look. Grabbing Arron’s hand, they started running off again. This time passing the guy without any casualties. As they ran, they heard him shout, “Any hope of you telling me where Class 3A is?”

Without turning, Hebe replied, “Catch us if you can.” “That’s a hint!” Arron shouted, before disappearing at another corner with Hebe.

Soon, Arron and Hebe reached their classroom, panting. Seconds later, the same guy appeared. “Mind telling me.. Oh, you brought me to my class. Thanks.” He was just about to open the classroom door when Hebe stopped him.

“Not so fast.” She twisted the doorknob and entered with Arron, bowing while pushing Arron’s head downwards. “We’re very sorry for being late.”

“Miss Tian and Mister Yan. Late on your first day. I do hope you’re ready to receive your punishme… Who’s that outside?” Their teacher waited for an answer.

The guy entered the classroom. “He Jun Xiang. New student. I got lost on the way.”

“Ah, I see. And Miss Tian and Mister Yan showed you the way here?” She asked, getting vigorous nods form Hebe. “Then, I don’t see why you two should be getting punishments. But I do not hope a repetition of this. Go sit. Mister He? Please move to the front of the class here. I’m Miss Yang.”

Hebe pulled Arron towards their seats and quickly, both settled down.

“Class, we have a new student here as you can see. Let us allow him to introduce himself.” Miss Yang indicated him to go ahead.

“Erm.. Hello? I’m He Jun Xiang. You can call me Mike. Er.. That’s it,” Mike said, then looked at Miss Yang who told him to sit behind Hebe.

He scooted off and made himself comfortable while all the time thinking, this girl is really so small. I don’t even need to move to see the board.

Throughout the lessons, Mike kept bothering Hebe, as she’s the only one he’s spoken to, apart from Arron (or rather, Arron was the one who said that one little sentence to him), despite their not really happy first encounter. Throwing little pieces of paper at her, pulling a few strands of hair, purposely shaking her chair a little at intervals, poking her head with his pen.

Hebe was getting annoyed and angry. Never have she met a person who liked annoying her to that extent. And it was only their first day. Plus, it was not like they were even friends. Telling herself there were only a few minutes to the end of school for the day, she put up with the irritating deeds of that huge boulder behind her.

“…everyone knows, this is the venus flytrap. Its scientific name is dionaea muscipula. It will do you good if you can remember the name and…” the teacher droned on.

Trying hard to concentrate and not to smack the muttonhead, Hebe pursed her lips. Once more he was at it. This time he had a new trick. He had found a rubber band and was silently pulling it and letting it go so that it flew and hit head. And he seemed to be enjoying it too.

Just one more time, Hebe thought. One more time..

SMACK!

“WILL YOU STOP DOING THAT?!”

Hebe stood up and faced Mike. The last rubber band hit was the last straw. Why did he enjoy annoying her so much anyway?

“Miss Tian! May I know what is going on there? I do not see why anyone should disrupt the class although there’s only one minute left.” The teacher’s hands were folded while she waited for a reply.

Hebe turned to the front, her face red as a tomato. It was her first time doing anything to embarrass herself like that in front of everyone. And it was all because of that muttonhead. “I.. He was using a rubber band to hit me on the head.” She pointed at Mike.

“Well I never. Why would a new student be bothering you like that? I..”

RING!

The whole class got up and within seconds, only Hebe, Arron, Mike and the teacher remained.

“This is the first day. And I do not want to hand out punishments just yet. I would greatly appreciate it if this does not continue, whoever is in fault here. Before you go, I have been told to tell you, Miss Tian, that you’ll be in charge of Mike for a week.”

Hebe stared at the teacher. “In charge, Mister Lee?”

“Yes. In charge. Which means you’ll be showing him around the school and helping him with what he needs to know. So, further problems between you will not help in that matter and no one encourages it anyway. Well, that’s it for today.” Mister Lee took his things from the teacher’s table and left.

Hebe still stared ahead. “I’m in charge.. of that muttonhead?” she whispered to herself. She looked at him. He hadn’t said a single word. And Arron too. Not that she blamed him. He probably doesn’t even know what was going on. But that muttonhead. Why was he so bent on annoying the hell out of her? And now she even had to babysit him for a week! What could make things get worse?

And it just did.

“So, you’ll be showing me around school, huh.” He grinned. “Will be in your guidance. I look forward to be under your wing.” And he went forward to hug her.

Shocked, Hebe pushed him away. “What are you doing?!”

“What happened?” Arron asked, oblivious.

“I just hugged her,” Mike replied.

“What?!” Arron stood up, although not really sure what to do.

Mike looked at him. “Why? Is she your girlfriend? You don’t seem to be protecting her like you should be doing. Anyway, I’m leaving. See you tomorrow, sweetheart. And you too, er.. whatever your name is.”

And he left, with his bag on his shoulder again and a hand in his pocket. Hebe was still fuming. Never has she seen such an obnoxious douche head who was so annoying and how dare he talked like that to Arron.

“Hebe? Are you okay?” Arron’s hands were outstretched, feeling for Hebe, who quickly went towards him. “I’m fine. It’s just that that guy really annoys me. Shall we go home now?”

Arron nodded. He took out his stick and pulled it longer. “Let’s go.”

They went on their way and right after they reached home, Hebe got busy with anything and everything. “Right. So I’ll go put the clothes in the washing machine. Then I’ll cook and after that I’ll sweep and mop. After that…”

“Hebe?” Arron spoke.

“Yes?”

“Can’t I help?”

“No. I don’t need your help in these matters, okay? I can do it. If I can’t, then I’ll ask for your help. You just have to concentrate on getting your eyesight back, okay? Now get on with it. I’ll go see you when it’s time to eat.” She pushed him to his room and closed the door.

Arron sighed. She had always been like this for as long they had known each other. She’d be doing everything for him while he just sat and moped around. He would always offer his help, but she would also always reject it, saying she was capable enough. She was always thinking about him and trying to make his life easier. Why couldn’t she just let him get into her life too and do stuffs with her?

He knew she was getting all fidgety with Mike in class just now. He could sense everything. And his hearing was exceptionally good so he could hear everything he did. He was just wondering the same thing she was. Why was he getting all irritating on Hebe? Was he interested in her? But they had just met! And it was not like he was going to allow Mike to get Hebe.

Never.