08.

Series #002: Give Me One More Chance

Aekyung’s eyes fluttered open and her lips curled into a smile as the warm sun shone on her face. *I’m not a mother.* The thought barges into her subconscious mind, unwelcomed. A sigh escaped her dry throat and she ponders over the previous night. Her mind ached to know how Hoya would react by lying to him wouldn’t last either.

Aekyung flung away the warm blanket and stood up, stretching her body. Her back was sore and she frowned. *I don’t remember doing anything strenuous yesterday.* Twisting her lips, she arched her back so that she’ll feel more relieved but it continues to ache. A soothing melody filled the room and Aekyung grabbed her phone on the bedside table.

“Hello?”

“…Hey.” Aekyung perked up at the familiar voice. Clearing , she aimed to calm her racing heart. “How have you been, baby?” Baby. The endearing term slapped her on the face, reminding her that she had ignored Hoya for days.

“I’ve.. Been fine. More than fine.” Aekyung replied but her tone came out harsher than she thought.

“You’ve been well without me, then?” His voice was soft, quiet and it seemed so down. Aekyung couldn’t help the gasp emitting from . *How could he possibly think that!* She was about to reply but Hoya continued before she could. “I really missed you. Can we meet, please?” The last word rolled off his tongue as a strangled cry. Aekyung played with her fingers.

“Sure. Let’s meet.” She could hear a soft sigh of relief on the other side of the line.

“I’ll be at yours in 10.” The line was cut off and replaced by a long beep. Aekyung stared at her phone before ending the call. Hoya had sounded so devastated when he thought that she meant her words the other way. *Do I break the news of my pregnant hoo-ha to him? 10 minutes. Does he want to see me that much?*

As said, the doorbell rings on the dot and Aekyung, who had been sitting on the couch waiting for Hoya, opens the door without hesitation. Hoya was in a simple purple shirt and jeans, his eyes gazing into hers forlornly. Her breath hitched in . That gaze was all too familiar to her. He pulled out his hands in his pockets and pulled Aekyung in for a bone crushing hug. Aekyung was shocked as she stood rooted to the ground. Is history repeating itself?

“You don’t have to return the hug. Just… Let’s stay like this for a while.” Hoya whispers softly, placing his head on her shoulder. He had missed her warmth. Only when Aekyung wrapped her arms around Hoya’s back did his body relax. “Why did you avoid me?” It was a hushed whisper, his hot breath tickling the back of her earlobe.

“I wasn’t.” Aekyung fibbed.

“Yes you were. If it had made you that uncomfortable, I wouldn’t have gone that far. Plus–” Hoya broke the hug and held her at arm’s length. “–I thought we were over this.” His arms returned to his sides and he lowered his head. Aekyung swallowed. *This side of Hoya… I swore, I would never bring this Hoya back again. What have you done, Aekyung?*

“Yeah, we were over this. I just needed some time.” Aekyung explained but the pained expression on Hoya’s face remained.

“What I felt, for the past few days was worse than the previous time you left me, Ae. Now that I’m assured you feel the same for me, it hurts to know that you’re avoiding me. You distanced yourself from me. And with everything going on at home, I needed you.” Aekyung cupped his tear-stained cheeks, lifting his head up to meet her gaze. Her heart constricted at his confession. *You needed me, but I wasn’t there for you. Again.*

“Oppa…” Aekyung’s voice was weak yet she put up a strong front. “I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I’m sorry. I know nothing could mend that crack in your heart. And it always pains me to know that I was the culprit of that hideous scar on your beautiful heart. It’s just.. Howon, I’m only 18. You are, too, but I can’t handle it if something were to happen to me because of our little accident.” She felt relieved; she had finally said it out. She could see Hoya’s appalled expression turn into a frown.

“Ae…” His eyebrows crease and she knew she had said something wrong. Or did she? “I never blamed you for breaking my heart. Please don’t blame yourself, it was my fault.” Aekyung wanted to disagree so badly but held it in. “Now that you’re back in my life and here to stay, it doesn’t matter anymore. Also, I’ve told you. I’ll take responsibility no matter what happens. I’m staying, I won’t go anywhere – not without you.” Her heart fluttered at his simple words. *How could he say it was his fault? He’s the epitome of perfection. Howon doesn’t do ‘wrong’.*

With a slight tug of his hair, Aekyung found her lips at where it had always belonged – on Hoya’s. The kiss was passionate and needy, both making up for the lost time even though it was only a few days. Aekyung broke the searing kiss to catch her breath, letting out soft pants. Hoya could only gape at the beautiful woman in front of him, her face flushed and her lips swollen. And it was all his doing. He smirked at that.

“Does this mean… You’re not avoiding me anymore?” Hoya’s eyes lit up like a young child asking for a lollipop. Aekyung could spend the entire day admiring his wide genuine grin. Deep down, she fought the urge to grin like a silly girl back at him and nodded. If possible, Hoya smiled even wider. *Keep on smiling… Don’t ever let me or anyone take away this breathtaking smile of yours.*

“I want to bring you somewhere.” Aekyung raised her brow in curiosity. “Nu-uh, I’m not saying anything. But wear the cream satin dress you have, with a pair of black pumps. You need a good first impression.” Hoya chirped, even though it sounded more like an order. She wanted to pout and throw a fit at Hoya for making her wear a dress and heels – two of the many things she loathed – but on the other hand, it could be a way to make up for causing him anguish the past few days.

Aekyung trudged to her room and did as he instructed. *It appears that he knows my closet better than me.* She awed as she fished out her only dress from her closet. *Where are we going anyway, that I needed to dress up decent? Secretive Howon, as usual.* She sprayed a little of her perfume on her wrist, before dabbing it on her neck while she walks up to Hoya.

He enlaces his fingers with Aekyung’s and pulled her close to him. “Your perfume is intoxicating, baby.” Hoya drawls, sending slight shivers down Aekyung’s spine. Smirking at Aekyung’s flabbergasted expression, he led her to his car. Hoya tucked her into her seat, putting on the seatbelt for her before proceeding to the driver’s seat. “You’ll wait and see where we’re going.”

She could only nod along to his words as she played with her fingers. The atmosphere is comfortable; no words needed to break the silence. “I actually have something to tell you, Howon oppa.” His eyes never left the road but he hummed, urging her to continue. “Well, yesterday…” Aekyung shifted in her seat. *Why is it so uncomfortable?!*

“What about yesterday?” This time, his eyes glanced at Aekyung briefly, searching her face for any answers. He pursed his lips, letting his mind wander off again. *It couldn’t be bad news right?*

Aekyung inhaled deeply, “Yesterday… I had to use a pregnancy kit.” The car came to an abrupt halt at the road side and Hoya turned to Aekyung, his eyes of mixed emotions.

“WHAT?!” She her lips, slightly startled at his outburst. What could she possibly say? Hoya was seething, she could hear his loud breathing beside her and it sounded more lost than angry. “Why didn’t you tell me?” He muttered, as if he was asking himself instead. In her mind, Aekyung didn’t have an answer. “Is it positive or negative then?” He asked again.

“Negative, don’t worry.” Aekyung answered. *Why is he so worked up? Does he not want the baby… If I had one?* Hoya ruffled his hair and slumped against the driver’s seat.

“I wanted to be there with you, regardless of the results.” He murmurs, linking his deep gaze with hers. “I would be more then elated to hear that you have my flesh and blood within you, Ae. It’s fine even though it was negative. We can always try–” Hoya stopped to look at Aekyung, who widened her eyes in surprise. “–at a later time, of course.” She shut her eyes and let go of the breath she was holding on to.

“Honestly, I was disappointed too.” Aekyung admitted, as Hoya turned the key and the car roared back to life. He placed one hand on the steering wheel and another holding Aekyung’s hand. “I would be thrilled to be a mother. But it’s all too soon. I’m not ready.”

“You do know the influence of my family, right? You don’t have to be ready, everything can be done by a day, my dear.” Hoya pulls up at the gates of his majestic house and the back of her hand with his knuckles. He curled a lock of hair behind Aekyung’s ear and beamed a little. “You don’t even have to go to college or go to work. You have me, I’ll support you.”

“But oppa, I want to be a dutiful mother. I don’t want my child to grow up looking at others more than he looks at me. I want my child’s first word to be ‘Mum’.”

“On the contrary, I would prefer if our child’s first word be ‘Dad’.” Hoya joked, lifting up both their spirits. Aekyung giggled and relished in how Hoya had mentioned ‘our’ instead of ‘my’. *Hmm, ‘our’ child. I could get used to that.* He left the car, walked over to the passenger’s seat and opened the door for Aekyung. “Milady,” Hoya offers his hand and Aekyung placed her hand with his willingly, her face blushing at his choice of words.

“Why are we at your house?” Aekyung bit her bottom lip, still unsure of Hoya’s motive.

“Well, to meet my parents of course.” Her heart palpitated against her ribcage and she could feel her pulse become erratic. *The nerve of him! How dare he didn't tell me anything beforehand! I didn't even bring a gift!* Hoya coughed a little. "In case you'd forgotten, you didn't tell me that you could be pregnant. I'm sure we're fair now, Ae." He said, answering her hidden fury. The argument was over. Aekyung had to meet Mr. and Mrs. Lee sooner or later. For now, it's sooner.