first movement

double bass, double chaîne.

 

Bright Yellow Tracksuit. 

[ "I'm not dressed to see a concert!" ]

 

"Umma, where are we going now?

Tired and aching, Hana looked over her younger sister, eyeing her fancy attire. Long sleeved sweater, black skirt, sneakers. Her eyes narrowed into slits. After a day of helping her friends get ready to go on the carpet and sending results to and fro the judges to her coach, she was not going to have to face having to go out just for her sister's sake.

"Ah, we're sending your sister to go see her friends concert." 

Dread hit her in the head like a heavy iron ball, "And then are we going home?"

"We don't know yet."

Two iron balls. 

With and inward groan, Hana gave her sister the dirtiest look she could and slumped back into her chair, digging her hands into her tracksuit pockets and closed her eyes.

 

"Unnie, we're here!" Sohyun shook her sister  lightly, letting out a breath of exasperation.

Hana wriggled from her weaker sisters grip, grunting in dissatisfaction. But after relentless effort by Sohyun to wake her sister up, Hana finally cracked open her eyes, sighing tiredly. They were right infront of the Seoul Arts Centre, the lights from the building making her squint her already slitted eyes.

"We're going to go watch the concert." Sohyun informed her sister lightly and when her sisters words finally registered into her groggy mind, Hana's eyes snapped open, sitting up as she widened her eyes even more. Sohyun only shrugged at her older sister's state and she slipped out of the car wordlessly.

"Why?" the older girl whined, child-like as she stomped her sneakered foot on the car floor. Not only was she worn out from a long day at the gym, but she was also only dressed in her track suit, bright yellow and all.

"I'm not dressed to go see a concert!"

 

But only ten minutes later, Hana found herself in the main area of the centre; arms crossed, track suit zipped up fully and mouth hidden under the collar. She was silent and her ugly frown was hidden under the suit. Sohyun stood by her, fiddling with her phone out of nerves. "Why are you so nervous?" Hana's words were laced with poison, irritation biting a the end of each of her words.

"Nothing in particular"

Yeah, sure. The older girl rolled her eyes. Though she didn't know who, she knew that her younger sister had a boyfriend.  Sohyun was nervous because she was scared of getting caught by their parents. Hana then realized that the whole family watching the concert was definitely not Sohyun's idea.

The brunette was somewhat embarrassed at the fact her thirteen year old sister had a boyfriend while she herself never had a crush before then. But the fact that her younger sister was the prettier one  in betwe the two made it even harder for Hana. At the sight of the pretty younger sister, the older one was just simply; overlooked.

 

"Hana?"

With one glance at the person that called her, her irritation melted away and a bright smile mushed her lips, "He Ran-ah!"

Without hesitation, Hana ran over to the other side of the area and engulfed the other girl into a warm hug, familiarity tying their embrace together. He Ran and Hana were once close classmates but after high school came, they didn't have much physical contact with each other as they had both moved to other schools. 

"What are you doing here?" Hana questioned, her aura taking a complete 180 degree twist. He Ran was visibly shorter than Hana, though they were about the same height in middle school.

"Well," He Ran leaned in closer, "I'm accompanying my sister to the concert. She's meeting her boyfriend for the first time! Isn't it sweet?" Hana's lips subconciously formed into a small 'O' as she glanced over at Yoo Jung, He Ran's younger sister. Amazing. Another thirteen year old with a boyfriend. To be complety honest, Hana only had her teddy bear.

He Ran looped their arms together, "Isn't funny how our younger sisters are the ones with the boyfriends while we're single?"

Hana chuckled blandly in return towards her friends statement, nearly scoffing inwardly. Kind of ironic for her to say since she knew He Ran had gone through as many exes as Hana had stuffed animals.

Nonetheless, the two walked forwards towards the other end of the area where the crowd of people stood to wait for the hall to open. Halfway through; He Ran stopped in her tracks and faced her friend with a curious look in her eyes, "Wait, you don't have a boyfriend right?"

This time, Hana actually scoffed loudly at He Ran's question. "You're not serious, right? Me?" the girl chuckled as if He Ran just told her a funny joke, "I've never even had one, Ran-ah." 

The other girl's eyes widened considerably, trying to take in her friend's statement lightly, "You're not serious are you? I mean... not even once?"

Hana shook her head, almost proud-looking.

"Wow," was all He Ran could comment on her friends boyless status. 

 

The small group of parents and teenagers were led into a smaller hall functioned to hold a small orchestra group. They settled in the hall and slowly, more people started filling in the number of seats provided. About 40 chairs were positioned in a curved shape around a standing block, which Hana figured was the conducting block. Infront of each chair was a music sheet stand. White sheets of music were already placed on the stands all in uniform order.

"I'm sorry Hana, I'm going to be shouting really loud for them. I hope you don't mind, I mean, you know me, right?" Aunty HwaJung warned the girl light-heartedly.

Hwajung was known to be a fearless and loud woman and everyone loved her for that.

"It's totally fine Aunty Jung," Hana offered a light smile and chuckled. Her father was somewhat similar to Aunty Jung and Hana was accustomed to the loudness and people looking at her. It became something of a commodity for her.

Seats were filled with a satisfying amount of people and an excited buzz circled around the crowd as they wait for the Eumag Section to come out. Hana herself was excited to see them too. She heard that they were actually a decent team of musicians.

The lights that were directly over the crowd dimmed while the lights overhead the orchestra's chairs brightened. A man in his early 40's came out and walked to the conducting block. He faced the crowd and bowed. Aunty Hwajung went wild.

The group of 7 to 15 year olds came in in straight lines immediately after the cheers (Aunty Hwajung was the only one who was cheering) for the conducter died down. After all the members were standing up, positioned at their places, again; Aunty Hwajung erupted into bursts of enthusiastic shouts and loud claps - forcing the rest of the spectators to follow suit by clapping. Hana couldn't help but laugh while He Ran - who was seated besides her - looked quite embarrassed.

Every one of the members of the orchestra looked at Aunty Hwajung with a smile; though Hana swore that she felt a few pairs of eyes on her too. Maybe it was her attire.

Halfway through the group's second piece, Hana noticed that He Ran and Yoojung were whispering and pointing at one person in particular. Out of curiousity, Hana followed their discreet points that lead to a tall double bass player who sat at the edge of the group. A kind of familiarity rang in her mind. Why was he so familiar?

"Isn't he cute?" He Ran seemed to have leaned in and was also still looking at the guy. "Soo Ran told me his name is Junhong."

Junhong... A lightbulb clicked in her mind, Choi Junhong!

"Did you know that he's 184cm?" Hana's words spilled out before she could filter them.

"Really? Cute and tall," He Ran nodded in satisfaction, "How'd you know, Hana?"

"Oh, u-um Sohyun told me that time"

He Ran 'ah'-ed but didn't question any further and continued to look at Junhong. She was too occupied with staring to bother. Hana was questioning herself to how she remembered that small detail about him.

"Ohmygod, isn't he cute?" the girl kept on whispering excitedly as she kept on staring at Junhong, "Isn't he, Hana?"

"Ah, kind of. I guess so," was all Hana could manage. In actuality, she thought he was cute too. Massively cute.

She was the one who kept stealing glances and him and during breaks between songs, though she kept reassuring herself that he was looking at He Ran because she stared at him and was not shy at all, somehow she was nearly sure he was actually looking at her too. Again, she convinced herself that it was the fact that she was wearing a bright yellow track suit.

 

"You guys were great!" Sohyun enthused brightly as the number of people in the hall decreased while some of the players - including Choi Junhong - didn't go backstage to change immediately. 

The group of teenagers that hung around the first row of seats were loud and rowdy, but no one was there to discipline them. At the edge of the group standing a couple feet away, the bright yellow clad girl stood silently, trying not to be noticeable; once again hiding under her zipped-up track suit collar. Though it was hard since she practically wore day-glo. Some of the guys in the group looked at her weirdly while they were failing at their attempts at being discreet.

"Who is that?"

"She looks scary."

"Her stare is intimidating."

"Is she wearing a unitard?"

Though they were whispering, Hana could hear every word that they were uttering, making her feel even more unsettled than she already was.

"It's Sohyun's older sister. Y'know, the gymnast." A taller, much more mature looking guy was the one that identified her. He was the lone guitarist of the Eumag Section and was undoubtly at the peak of his stay in the Boseog Program, fifteen years old.  

"How'd you know that, Chanyeol-hyung?"

"Sohyun told me of course."

She stole a look at the guys. They were about three metres away from her. Hana got a perculiar feeling about that Chanyeol. Addressing Sohyun so casually... Was he her sister's boyfriend?

"Yah, she's looking at us!"

And like that, the guys dispersed, even Chanyeol. Hana scoffed, even though the impressions they had of her made her a tad bit... annoyed. Hana had to admit, she was offenced. Scary? Intimidating? What kind of girl did they take her as?

"Jun-hyung, why is she hiding her face like that?" another one whispered - but this time, he was not even trying to be discreet. That irked Hana to her maximum. The girl sideways glanced at the direction of the voice to see the irking younger boy asking none other than Junhong.

"Maybe she's just insecure," Junhong's response made Hana's eyes widen with surprise. It was a kind response to a less-kinder question. She felt a sense of gratefulness swell in her chest for that Choi Junhong.

 

The group started to go on a picture and selfie spree, making Hana inch away from them even more. She looked down at her white sneakers, wondering how she ended up in the said situation. Her parents had went out the hall early to raid the buffet line with Aunty Hwajung and He Ran had run off to the bathroom, though Hana figured that she was probably not going to come back anytime soon to avoid the exact position Hana was in that moment. She couldn't blame the other girl. Ultimately, her father had asked her to 'keep an eye on Sohyun', so one way or another, she was stuck being a bright yellow statue. The girl looked up from the view of her shoes just so her neck wouldn't cram. Soon enough, she realized that a rather tall presence stood besides her.

Choi Junhong didn't say anything the first few moments she noticed him besides her. They were so close that their garments brushed against each other. His blazer's cotton and her track suit's polyester. Hana's breath hitched on itself quietly and she couldn't let herself move until he finally uttered something, "I hope you don't mind me standing here with you. I'm trying to avoid as many cameras as I can."

"No, it's fine."

"Thanks."

Hana nodded and offered a small smile in return to his barely-there grateful one.

Even when he shifted a little, she could feel his movement in the fabric of her tracksuit. She stole sly glances and felt her face warm. He stood silently, ducking only slightly and shaking his head when the others called him to take more pictures. She bit her lip.

Normally by then, she would've introduced herself to him in a very casual manner, shaking hands like it was the most natural thing in the world. But they were silent and unmoving. A lump in hindered her from even trying to utter anything. She was constantly opening and closing , trying to let words come out, but it was like she lost the ability to speak.

What was so different about Junhong?

He was like any other ordinary, hormonal boy that she would hang around with. He was just a boy.

Just a boy.

 

Author's NOTE: Asadfghjkl; i'm so happy that i've actually got 4 SUBSCIBERS ALREADY, LIKE WHUUUT. I'm seriously so happy and grateful that you've subscibed to this story. I love you all. Feedback is much appreciated and if you have questions, shoot me a PM or tweet me @ZorroHadad. It'll be really great if you'd recommend this story to your friends. Look forward to the next chapter soon enough!