This Beautiful Stranger

Beautiful Stranger

 

 

Lu Han smiled to himself softly, eyes drifting to the loner on the park bench. It was a weekly thing, Lu Han would see this stranger every Saturday. There wouldn't be any words shared as Lu Han sat aside him, feeling strangely at home.

This week was no different. It was the usual distance between them, separating them as strangers, but close enough to feel a... connection. As Lu Han decided to have put it.

He glanced over at the bench once more, and happily seated himself beside the stranger. It was funny that even though half a year had passed, he still didn't know this stranger's name. He didn't know much about the stranger at all, now that he thought of it. Lu Han felt the corners of his lips twitch. 

So what was with the feeling he had whenever he sat next to this beautiful stranger? Beautiful with his soft hazel hair, falling over his eyes lazily, his pale alabaster skin, that turned pink on a cool windy day, his frail looking frame and his lips, delicate. He looked at peace today, the stranger.

He stared out to the landscape of trees, the sun was ready to set, and the cold was starting to nip. It was yet another breathtaking sunset to Lu Han, he smiled widely at the streaks of colour filling the previously blue horizon. It was the best way to lead to a Sunday.

The silence embraced the two strangers, and Lu Han decided to take another look at him again. He caught another stunning sight. The male was smiling softly at the sunset, much like Lu Han, his hair whipping in the sudden brisk breeze, much like Lu Han.

But this comforting silence was broken between the two, when a tall black haired male greeted the stranger. Lu Han felt his gut twist at the warmth his stranger gave to the man. 

"How have things been, then? I know I saw you before, but you know..." The black haired male didn't finish his sentence, but did squish in between the original stranger and Lu Han, who felt miffed at this new man.

"I'm fine, Hyung." The boy said, quietly. "I think you should apologise to the guy though, you practically sat on him." The boy pouted to his hyung. 

The black haired male turned and gave Lu Han a sheepish smile. "Sorry, for almost sitting on you." 
Lu Han nodded, meeting gazes with his stranger for a split second. And in that split second, his heart stopped. His stranger had smiled at him.
"Come, we have to go. Joonie Hyung will be upset if we're late, because I promised to bring you home quickly." 

"I'm coming. Is it wrong to look at the sunset once in a while?" His stranger scowled, getting to his feet and dusting his thighs. His stranger didn't even cast an acknowledging nod before he left, leaving Lu Han with a weird twinge in his chest.

He shrugged it off, managing a last minute glance at the ending sunset. It wasn't as beautiful it seemed, without his stranger. He never had the stranger, though. But he did feel so lonely without him.

He felt empty, as he watched the sun fall behind the clouds, and feel the cool breeze against his skin. Time to go home, Lu Han thought to himself. He didn't mind it. He just wished he could have stayed with his stranger for longer.

Mood only slightly dampened, he stood up and left the park. His way home wouldn't be too long anyway. The short stroll to his home, shared by his five other friends would be very quiet, and he made sure to buy lollipops as he went along. A little routine he had gotten used to ever since he encountered the stranger. He smiled at the shop assistant with a quiet sigh. The shop assistant returned the smile sincerely, and Lu Han thought he really resembled a puppy with that bright demeanour of his. Casually reading his tag, Lu Han learnt the shop assistant's name as Baekhyun.

He held onto the bag excitedly, swinging it back and forth with a small smile on his face. When he reached his apartment the smile didn't fade, but grew when his five friends greeted him and he didn't sense any tension in the air. There was a beautiful aroma too, and that filled him with happiness.

He held up his bag of lollipops and skipped towards his and his friend's room, picking out their favourites and dressing in a lazy pair of pyjama trousers and T-Shirt. When he came out, he made sure to give the lollipops to his friends, by flinging them across the rooms nonetheless.

There was laughter before Yixing chided everyone to eat. It was as usual, delicious and full of chatter, even if there were only the six of them. It didn't even come as a surprise to Lu Han when Kris and Tao admitted to be going out, it just worked as a congratulatory dinner, and everyone celebrated.

The week passed, and he was sitting beside his stranger again. There it was again, that feeling of fulfillment, when he was with his stranger. That feeling that he was safe and secure with his stranger. He felt that his stranger would save him from the harshness of the world.

He closed his eyes and breathed in the clear, not so polluted air. When he reopened his eyes, his stranger was staring right at him, it wasn't even a bad stare. It was more of intrigue and Lu Han caught his breath, feeling stupid because with that one stare, he felt his cheeks burn, all the way to his ears. He was sure to look like a school girl now. 

He faced the glowing sunset, trying to shake off the red that had blossomed his face. But even with this blush, he felt more confident now, in turning to face him again. Why did he feel so brave with this stranger? 

But once again, strangely, the black haired male came and took his stranger away. And Lu Han was close to stopping him and telling him to let the stranger enjoy the sunset. Lu Han was never one for confrontation, so what was this new found boldness with his stranger?

Another week passed, and Lu Han became conscious of what had happened.

He had fallen for the stranger.

His beautiful stranger.

Now he was scared to turn around to face the stranger, because it felt like he was locked, in a cage, feeling more and more claustrophobic as the minutes passed. He felt hot under his jacket, with the realisation that nothing will ever be the same.

Was it his fault? Or was it the stranger's?

Another week went by. 

But today the stranger wasn't there.

What was there, though, was a small box of lollipops, and a neatly folded handwritten note. He sat down onto the bench, and began to read.
 


'Hi. I'm sorry I couldn't come today. I'll come next week. Maybe have these lollipops so you can be happy? I know you like the sunset, so enjoy it with these. 
Your stranger.'

 


Lu Han couldn't help the smile that reached his pink lips. His stranger... Remembered him. 

He happily watched the sunset, the lollipop in one hand his favourite, Apple. His other hand was holding the note.

Just as the sunset began to subside once more, Lu Han couldn't help but turn to the crunching sound behind him.

He was surprised to see who he saw.

His beautiful stranger, dressed in a warm coat, jeans, with his hair unruly and bright eyes, overflowing with emotions.

He was smiling at him too.

"Hi," His stranger breathed. "I know, I lied- in the note. This probably sounds ridiculous but, ever since I've met you, nothing was the same. I've lost nothing from seeing you, but... I feel ashamed, after all this time, I never even asked your name. This is my fault, there is no one else to blame, after all." 
Lu Han stared at his stranger with wide eyes and an open mouth. His stranger's voice was a lot more rough than he imagined, but he sounded so good to Lu Han's ears.

"Well, do you even know my name?" his stranger asked, with a small smile, he continued, even though Lu Han hadn't replied. "I was there when you came, and now... I guess it'll never be the same for you." 

Lu Han looked at his stranger, confused. So what was his name?

"Oh Sehun. My name is Oh Sehun." His stranger smiled softly, "What's your name?"

"Lu Han."