# Chapter 2

Fragile

   

 

A/N: Before you start, the fact that you see your username at the end of the letters isn't a coincidence. It's the "you" function.

Check the FAQ for more info. Enjoy!

 

--

“I would have waited a couple of months more, you know? So you can take your time with the decision (as long as it stays the same). You have no idea how happy I felt when I got your letter. I understand it was hard on you and I am sorry, I really am, but I’m glad you could forgive me.

          I swear I am NEVER going to lie to you again, alright? As long as you do the same, of course – still you’d be excused for a period of 4 months; after that we’re even -. So you can trust this stranger, but I don’t care if you ever feel the need to test me, because I know that I’ll definitely pass.

P.S: It’s hard opening and reading all the fanmail that comes in red envelopes – you’d be surprised by the amount I get -… So, here, this is my home adress. I trust you.

Love, Dong Youngbae.”

“Can you really trust me?

you ."

“I think you’re worth taking the risk.

Youngbae.”

 

          Just like that you started trusting each other, even though you couldn’t help but doubt him at first, you finally learnt to trust him and that prooved to be one of the best decisions you ever made. He became your confident, with nobody to tell, your secrets were kept safe by him. In your head, in your fantasies, you always ended up a couple, he fell for you and you… well, you had already fallen for him long before you ever met; but never had it crossed your mind he would be your friend, your confident.

“I still can’t believe you actually answered me that day. It still feels like I’m dreaming. Why me?

you.

“Luck or maybe...

Youngbae.”

“Maybe…?

you.

“Maybe it was meant to be.

Youngbae.”

“That would make more sense since I’m not a lucky person, but fate sounds so idealistic.

you.

“Who said anything about you? I am the lucky one. So I get you’re not the romantic, I-believe-in-true-love type, huh?

Youngbae.”

“Romance?

you.

          Your heart beat like a caged bird’s every time you read his words. I mean, he never mentioned love; you didn’t either so what did that mean? You were in love with him; you had fallen for him right after the few honest letters he sent you, because he was just as you dreamt him to be: kind, caring, sweet, honest, loving and very supporting, but… you guessed it was impossible to become more than a one-sided love.

“We’ve been there for each other for a year now and I… I don’t know; you’re the only girl I don’t feel like I have to try to be someone else with. You accept me just the way I am. You get me… and you love dogs too. How much perfect could it get?

A wasted chance never comes back again they say, so I’ll say it in this letter:

I’m starting to have feelings for you.

Dong Youngbae.”

          Your eyes scanned through the letter quickly before stopping at the last sentence. Describing the feeling… mission impossible; reading it gave birth to a feeling you didn’t know existed. You felt euphoric, like being stuck in that moment between awake and falling asleep, that moment when there’s nothing but you – you and him… stuck in a fantasy. But the bad thing about fantasies… is that they must end at some point, when being confronted with reality. And they usually end in hearbreaks.

          You knew that and yet, you didn’t think about it then. Why would you have? Everything was perfect. Nobody questions perfection; we only realize it wasn’t perfect to begin with when it’s gone bad.

“Yeah, I know, hahahaha, what an !” Your sister’s high voice rang through your ears from the other side of the door as a sign she was approaching.

          Explain it? You couldn’t right then, but your hands quickly grabbed the piece of paper and shoved it inside your desk’s cabinet, slamming the door.

“What are you doing?” Your sister’s curious voice asked after the creeking sound of your door indicated it had been opened.

“What are YOU doing?” You asked shrugging making her turn suspicious.

“Fishy…” She said giving you a smirk. “You’re hiding something.”

“If I was, it meant it’s none of your damn business. What do you want anyway?!” You asked feeling your level of frustration grow.

“Nothing, I was just teasing you… Gee, you don’t have to get all defensive about it.” She said rolling her eyes and turning her back to you, then shutting the door. “Yeah, sorry, I was talking to my annoying sister… Yeah… I know, lol.” She said making you roll your eyes too, but you were just happy she left, because you could turn back to your dream-world. A world you hoped she’d never find out about. Back to him.

“I think about you everyday.

Dong Youngbae.”

“At least now you know how I’ve been feeling for the past 2 years.

you.

“Is this all you’re gonna say? I’m literally telling you I’ve fallen for you.

Dong Youngbae.”

“I’m too happy. I’m afraid that if I’ll think about it I’ll ruin everything. What do you want me to say?

you.

“That you feel the same.

Dong Youngbae.”

“I’ve been feeling this way about you long before you even knew I existed. What is there to say? I adore you.

you.

          It took one year “with him”. 12 months to erase all the bad ones from your memory. Your life was finally falling in place and everything almost felt too good to be true. But at that time the words “if it seems too good to be true, than it is” didn’t seem to apply, because it just kept getting better with every letter.

          The ink stained the piece of paper, leaving behind the pen a trace of curvy lines. “I adore you.” Three simple words to sum up all you felt for him.

“SISTER! COME HERE!” Your sister yelled excitedly from the other room.

“I’m coming!” You yelled back, putting the piece of paper in the envelope.

“QUICKLY!” She answered yelling even louder.

“WHAAAT?!” You replied walking out of the room and slamming the door behind you.

“Alright mom, tell her!” She squealed jumping around your mother like a rubber ball.

“First, come and give me a HUGE kiss! I totally deserve it!” Your mother said turning her face to bring her cheek closer to you.

“What for?” You asked sitting on the bed in front of her.

“You know that contest I asked you to sign me up for? The one that they kept advertising on TV.” She said making your heart beat faster.

“Yeah…” You mumbled in response, unable to speak anymore, because you could predict what she was going to say next. Or at least hope she would.

“I WON THE BIG PRIZE!” She yelled making your sister scream in excitement.

“No way… NO WAY!” You found yourself screaming too after giving your brain some time to process what was happening.

“A one week trip to Korea for two.” She said raising her eyebrows. “Me and dad are busy with work, moreover it’s my sister’s baby shower the day of the departure and I can’t go, so you and your sister can go together.” She added letting a proud smile spread across her face, knowing she was making your dream come true.

“Mom… I love you so much.” You said calmly walking to her and kissing her cheek. “You’re the absolute best!”

“I know, I know.” She answered ruffling your hair.

“When are we leaving?” Your sister asked giving her a curious look.

“At the end of next week.” Your mother answered after checking the plane tickets.

“I need to tell Bae!” You squealed running back to your room.

“Who?” Your mother asked frowning.

“Her imaginary boyfriend. He lives there.” Your sister answered laughing.

“I HEARD YOU!” You yelled giggling to yourself “but that’s exactly what I want you to think.” You thought pulling out a piece of paper and an envelope quickly, slowing down as you were looking for a pen. Did you really want to tell him? Did you really want to meet him? What if he’d be disappointed? What if he’d be expecting you to be gorgeous? You weren’t. You were average – in the best case scenario. Those were all the things running through your head. It wasn’t that you lied to him; you always avoided telling him what you looked like, but he had expectations… he HAD to have. Expectations you definitely couldn’t raise to. He lived among some of the most beautiful women in the world and you didn’t belong there… by his side. But you had a week to write to him and get a reply, not a month to get your head straight.

“SISTER! YOU’VE GOT MAIL!” Your sister yelled from the other room and you shot up and ran to the door to bump into her. “Eassssyyy!” she said giggling “here.” She added giving you the letter and you ripped the envelope just as it landed against your skin, to reveal YoungBae’s handwriting.

“ I know it might be premature but… would you come visit me to Korea?

Dong Youngbae.”

Your hands squeezed the piece of paper and all you could do was… laugh.

“Unbelievable.” You said to yourself in between laughs. “Is this how you’re trying to make up to me for all the years of bullying, God?” You asked looking at the sky outside the window. “’Cause I might just forgive you.” You added hugging the letter.

“I was just about to write to you when I got your letter. I’m coming to Korea in 2 weeks. My mom won a contest. I’m glad you said it first, though. It would have been weird if I did.

you.

“I’m so glad! You have no idea how nervous I was while waiting for your reply. I kept telling myself it was too soon to ask you that and that I’ll ruin everything, but… I was so eager to ask you. This is the first time I fall in love… I am not very good at it so sorry if I make a wrong step. I’ll come wait for you at the airport, just tell me the day and hour and I’ll be there. I can’t leave you alone in Seoul, can I?

Also, could you send me a picture? I really want and need to know what you look like.

Dong YoungBae.”

“A photo… he wants a photo…” You thought feeling panic taking over you. You knew the day would come but… not so… soon? You knew a year was a long time, but you kind of needed more. “He’ll wait for me at the airport…” You told yourself feeling a smirk spread over your lips. “Oh , I’m gonna throw up.” You said running to the bathroom. That was just how nervous you were.

***

“MOM!” You yelled slamming the doors to all the cabinets around the house. “MOOOOM WHERE ARE THE…”

“Stop yelling, I’m right here.” She answered from the doorstep. “What is it?”

“The photo albums, where are they?” You asked nervously looking for them everywhere you could think of.

“They’re in the bookshelf in the living room.” She said giving you a suspicious look. “They’ve been there since forever, why would you be looking for them here in the first place?”

“What?” You asked defensively. “Don’t judge me, it’s in my genes. It’s dad’s fault.” You continued walking out of the room proudly.

“Right.” Your mother answered laughing at your big mouth. That was definitely coming from her.

          One hour later you were sitting in the middle of your room with all the family’s photos spread across the floor, around you. It had started with you searching for a good photo of yourself, but you should have known you always got carried away and sailed down the memory lane, ending up looking at all the photos.

          You had put aside some of your best photos and were about to choose one – they were pretty much alike, actually – when your mother opened the door.

“WHAT IS WITH THIS MESS?!” She yelled when she saw the empty photo albums and all the photos lying on the floor.

“I’m searching for a photo!” You yelled back defensively grabbing one of the photos, shoving it inside the envelope, next to all the details and running out of the room. “I’ll clean it up later!” You screamed from the entrance hall while taking on your shoes.

“I’LL KILL YOU!” Your mother answered right before you ran out the door.

          The next week had been hell with your mind being filled with weird thoughts and fear. Was he too disappointed so he decided not to write to you anymore? What if he waited for you and thought you were uglier face to face? What if he hated your style? But your biggest fear was… what if he fell for your sister - like everyone did?

          You kept checking the mail box every day, hoping you’d find a letter, but he was definitely taking his time replying. You kept hoping he was just teasing you, but you couldn’t help feeling pesimistic about it. “Typical.” That’s what everyone would say, because it really was. “Typical for you.” But you always thought that lowering your expectations would keep you from getting hurt, without considering how damaging it was to your self-esteem.

          The letter arrived a few days before the departure, but you didn’t have the guts to open it until the day before. You would have waited a couple of days more before opening it if you had a choice, though.

“You’re just like I imagined you to be. I’ll be waiting for you at the airport. Look for a guy with a dumb smile on his face, because ever since I received your letter I can’t stop smiling.

Dong Youngbae.”

          A letter, a couple of words you were afraid to read prooved to be the best thing that happened to you. With a couple of words, he managed to erase every trace of doubt you felt. He wanted YOU. That was all that mattered. And nobody would have been able to change that.