On how a girl softened Kim Jongin's heart

EXO One-Shot Collection

For Jishinee here you go~

 

--------------------------------------------------------

 

He wasn't like that normally. Kim Jongin, or Kai as he prefered to be called, wasn't like that, at all.

 

 

 

 

He was out with his roommate, Kyungsoo, and his girlfriend. A third-wheeler, that's what he is. On normal days, he doesn't mind being a third-wheeler to his friends but apparently not today.

Normally, he was an organized, self-proclaimed diciplined person and he has his mind well in order. He has the 'i-don't-care-about-others' attitude normally, likes things to work for him, and not the other way around. And most especially, normally, his mind only thinks of studies, dancing, recreations and rest. But today... Today, he woke up late, put salt in his coffee instead of sugar, was the last one in line for the bathroom, and was half an hour late for his first period lecture. Today, he wondered how the hell does Kyungsoo and his girlfriend manages to enjoy themselves even with him in tow. And today... Well, today, let’s just say that it’s not really Jongin’s day.

And so, with the thought of him being a nuisance to his friends' date, he slipped out of his seat next to his roommate and mentioned to the two that he would go and wander around the mall alone instead.

 

He went inside the arcades, played some games - mostly the basketball game and, of course, 'Dance Revolution' - but went out not half an hour later because of too much noise (and because he was bored from playing with himself). He also went to the nearby bookstore but he was beginning to feel sleepy because of the quietness. Wanting peace and quiet but with some distractions to prevent himself from getting sleepy, he made his way out the mall to the coffee shop near his university.

 

The cafe is packed with people when Jongin came. Students doing what students do, working people going out as fast as the went in always on-the-run, and middle-aged women busily shoving their latest acquires from who-knows-where to their so-called 'friends'. He did see some high schoolers checking him out as he went in the shop, though, and it made him smirk a little.

A little.

He wasn’t really the type to pay attention to girls. Sure he has had passing crushes here and there, he had a girlfriend or two when he was in high school, but he is not the flirty type of guy – contrary to what his looks might credit him as.

He made his way towards the counter where Baekhyun and Chanyeol, his brother's friends from way back in high school, are shuffling here and there, trying their hardest to serve their customers. He ordered a cup of mocha fráp for himself and settled at the only vacant seat in the café near the counter, making some small talks with the two.

 

He was halfway though his drink when she arrived. Backpack on, a thick anatomy book on her right arm, and a clear folder at the other, she marched her way to the counter and asked Chanyeol where Baekhyun is.

It's not as if he's interested. No, not really. Well, maybe a little... A tiny teeny bit. But he was more surprised because in all off the years that he knew his Baekhyun hyung, he never saw him with a girl, it was always him and Chanyeol or him and his Jongdae hyung or Tao... Never a girl... Which is why he's here, looking intently at the girl.

When Baekhyun went out the kitchen, they exchanged greetings and clear folders and talked about duets, harmonies and other musical terms that, Jongin noted, his brother also constantly talks about with Baekhyun. Chanyeol then handed the girl a cup of mocha fráp (he heard her ordered earlier) to which she struggled to grasp with her already full arms.

It was a good thing no one's behind her, really, because the way that she balanced her drink on top of her book is really dangerous. Both Chanyeol and Baekhyun offered to help her carry her things to an empty table (which is nowhere, really) but she turned them down. Jongin then surveyed the café again in the hope of seeing an empty seat but saw a full to the brim café.

 

Jongin really isn't the type to offer his seats to a girl. No, not really. But, then again, it wasn't everyday that he'll see a girl with a heavy backpack and a thick book on her arm and has a terrible balancing skills.

 

"Here, take this seat. I'm almost done anyway." He said, not really waiting for a reply as he grabs her drink and book and settle it down on the counter.

He was a foot away from the girl when he heard her say 'Thanks'. He then turned around and saw the girl giving him a smile, to which he replies with a smile too and a small wave. (He saw her wave back at his peripheral vision but he missed the gapes and open mouth reactions that his Chanyeol hyung and Baekhyun hyung gave to the exchange.)

 

 

Did Jongin said that this wasn't his day? Well, scratch that.

Because the grin plastered in his face after he stepped foot outside the café clearly says otherwise.